gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:11:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Tidbit on the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  (Read 25030 times)
SurfGeko61
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »

Cool.  Very much looking forward to seeing this with the added comments guests of Elton John, Bruce Springsteen etc, and maybe if real lucky, although not specifically announced or shown in article or trailer all or some of The Beach Boys comments on the night.

It was great getting the teasers and phone video from folks in audience, but really excited to see the production with high quality video and sound and reaction shots etc.

Would be extra cool if timing just happens to hit at right time and this becomes a big time thing and lots of people see this.  Never know what will make a mark and what doesn’t.  Bet nobody or very few expected a small appearance on some sitcom or a song on a Tom Cruise movie, or Endless Summer Greatest hits album or a 4th of July show, on off on again getting President attention would have such an impact.  Of course beyond the major impact the music the band and have had overall on the culture now 60 years later.

As a deep big time fan like most everyone on this board, always hope lots of others get to feel the impact and emotion and fun this band has had on me.  So if some of these bands and this special bring in some more fans.  Win Win Win!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2023, 10:14:20 PM »

Would be extra cool if timing just happens to hit at right time and this becomes a big time thing and lots of people see this.

Typically Sunday is the most watched night in the US. This show will be following one of the most popular shows on TV, 60 Minutes. It should do quite well and it will get a  lot of promotion during the NCAA basketball tournament.

Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2023, 01:25:45 PM »

Would be extra cool if timing just happens to hit at right time and this becomes a big time thing and lots of people see this.

Typically Sunday is the most watched night in the US. This show will be following one of the most popular shows on TV, 60 Minutes. It should do quite well and it will get a  lot of promotion during the NCAA basketball tournament.

Except it's  Easter Sunday
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2023, 03:51:42 PM »

Except it's  Easter Sunday

You make an eggsellent point

But I don't think it will matter.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2023, 08:02:13 PM »

The Masters will be on CBS on April 9, as well, which is one of the most popular sporting events on TV.

Those core demographics scream Beach Boys fan
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2023, 02:51:20 AM »

"[Brian]: You know, there's nothing like grand opera.
[Al]: Yep and that was nothing like it."

https://kidadl.com/quotes/statler-and-waldorf-quotes-from-the-muppets-old-hecklers

Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2023, 06:20:38 PM »

Al Jardine on the tribute. Seems to indicate the members were interviewed at least.

https://youtu.be/Pe4H2LjThrw
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2023, 02:24:47 PM »

The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston Speaks On "A GRAMMY Salute To The Beach Boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3m7WdM75s

The Beach Boys' Al Jardine Speaks In Awe About "A GRAMMY Salute To The Beach Boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4H2LjThrw

Watch Norah Jones Reflect On The Beach Boys' Timelessness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWCBG3u_x9Y

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:29:02 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2023, 03:56:47 PM »

Do we know anything about the house band for the night?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2023, 06:00:25 PM »

The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston Speaks On "A GRAMMY Salute To The Beach Boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3m7WdM75s

Team Striped Shirt representing! Grin

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2023, 07:16:44 AM »

CBS is running ads for the show in prime time.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2023, 02:30:39 PM »

I think Mike is a bit emotional near the end of this promo.

https://youtu.be/xHY-_zsg3Uc
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2023, 11:03:41 AM »

I’m surprised at how little chatter there seems to have been about this event, given the audience videos available. Is there another thread about it? Saving it up for the airing? Or not so interested.

And hello, Mtaber! Sorry I swung through and made a comment then didn’t come back and see your reply to it, maybe a year or two ago.

Edited to add the word ‘videos’ to ‘audience videos’.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:28:29 AM by Emily » Logged
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2023, 07:49:50 PM »

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The band they put together for the event was very good, and it was very cool to have Jason Falkner and Roger Manning on the same stage playing Beach Boys songs. Watch it if you can.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2023, 09:52:24 PM »

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The band they put together for the event was very good, and it was very cool to have Jason Falkner and Roger Manning on the same stage playing Beach Boys songs. Watch it if you can.
Should I know who they are?
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2023, 10:44:14 PM »

Are you familiar with the band Jellyfish?  Manning (keyboards) was a co-founder of the band. Falkner was their guitarist until 1991/92.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2023, 09:09:08 AM »

Are you familiar with the band Jellyfish?  Manning (keyboards) was a co-founder of the band. Falkner was their guitarist until 1991/92.
Unfortunately I saw about 3/4's of the show.  Were Manning and Faulkner in the back up band?  I think the drummer is the guy who plays with McCartney - tremendous drummer and singer.  I thought the back up musicians and singers were a highlight.  Almost up to the standards of Brian and Mike's bands!  Overall I enjoyed it - if nothing else these incredible songs and arrangements speak for themselves.

I don't like to be the old guy hating on the younger generation of performers and their autotune or outfits or whatever.  In general I appreciate what I saw and heard.  I do dislike the American Idol overemoting vocal gymnastics some feel impelled to do.  The deepest cut I saw was a cappella Heroes and Villains where this occurred wihich was otherwise interesting.  Other artists seemed to need to go over the top as well - just not my thing.  Other mild complaint - not the back up band but the rock bands taking on the Beach Boy rockers always seem to trash the guitar solos.  No restraint.

Beach Boys looked like a bunch of old guys which they are.  Brian as disengaged mostly as you would expect, Bruce the most lively.  Ultimately what stood out was the greatness of these songs and arrangements.  Originals the best!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:11:21 AM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2023, 09:30:52 AM »

They weirdly chopped out the entire middle of "Heroes and Villains", even though I guess by default it was one of the more interesting performances.

I was surprised how kind of "meh" the whole thing was. This show should have been done like 10 years ago. The cutaways to the guys up in the balcony started feeling like those cutaways to Zorak in Space Ghost where they use the same stock shot over and over and over.

I think there is something inherent in a lot of BB songs, *especially* if they're inclined to go mostly 60s and mostly hits, that is not well suited to modern popular singers. That thing current singers do where they break syllables up staccato (there's probably a term for it) is obviously annoying in general, but sounds extra out of place on these BB songs.

It was kind of funny to see how they tried to mess with (or not mess with) the songs. LeAnn Rimes just decided she liked the bridge of "Caroline, No" enough to do it three times instead of one, including literally just doubling it up twice in a row.

The guy doing the bad Mick Jagger impersonation and the girl from the Grinch were pretty embarrassing on their medley. I'm curious if she even listened to the original recording of "Surfin' USA" based on how she tried to pronounce "San Onofre."

Some of the most (seemingly) irreverent performers were also some of the blandest. I though Brandi Carlile was a snoozefest. Beck was surprisingly pretty reverent to the original arrangements, but seemed super awkward singing those songs. John Legend sounded constipated on his stuff.

And the singer wearing the black trash bag singing "You Still Believe In Me" taking that soaring Brian melody at the end and breaking it up into "Cry..I, I-I-I" was pretty grating on the ears.

The one oddball track, "I Know There's An Answer", was another snoozefest. That's not a good song to strip down to such a minimal arrangement, because it ends up losing most of its musicality. It makes the song sound really uninteresting. That's one of those songs where the arrangement is a huge part of the song. Sure, you can perform a lot of their ballads solo with a guitar or piano. But that one was pretty inert.

I thought it was bizarre, even factoring in modern performance tics, that several of the singers were like smiling and dancing and doing the whole "c'mon sing along!" thing when performing sad, somber ballads. "But what good would living do me......Now c'mon and join in everybody!"

Stating the obvious, but I think better fits from the BB catalog could have been picked for almost *all* of these performers that would have far better suited them, but it would have required going into a lot of non-hits. 

I'm glad the music got exposure, and it was nice to see the guys all together, even if they looped the same shots over and over and over.

And no, I don't think Mike was tearing up. He just gets watery eyes sometimes as seen in a number of interviews.

I was kind of laughing out loud when LeAnn Rimes came out to give special shoutouts to Al, Dave, and Bruce, because it kind of came across as worse than not saying anything. It was like Mom told you to go out and say Al, Dave, and Bruce were in the band too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2023, 10:18:23 AM »

Saw these on facebook:

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2023, 10:33:43 AM »

Great pix!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2023, 11:13:49 AM »

Great pix!
David always looks ultra-cool.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »

A performance by the Fendertones would have been great. Are they still performing?
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2023, 01:33:05 PM »

I'll say at the outset that I really enjoyed this. I'm at least a casual of most of the artists that performed, and a big Weezer and Fall Out Boy fan. That being said, I wish they would've dug deeper. "Do You Wanna Dance?" is a great production and arrangement, but obviously neither a Brian or Dennis original. "Barbara Ann" is O.K. as closer, but I'm not a fan, personally. And, we all know Pet Sounds is THE greatest album ever made. But, six songs devoted to one album for a band that has so much back catalogue is a little much, even if they were all respectfully, and sincerely presented.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2023, 02:09:10 PM »

Not that anyone would assume otherwise, but I'm pretty sure the producers of the show were aiming for mostly recognizable songs. As I mentioned above, I suspect most if not all of the singers would have fared better if they had had more songs to choose from.

In particular, some of Carl's 70s and 80s lead vocal spots probably would have been a less awkward fit for some of these singers. "Good Timin'", "Full Sail", "It's Gettin' Late", "Long Promised Road", etc.

Or, most of them are not "huge fans" and listened to a hits comp in the days leading up to rehearsals.

Still stunned "Kokomo" didn't make it in somehow.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2023, 03:26:43 PM »

watching now for better or worse  Wink
it's currently streaming at cbs.com
https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/Xn3CwiS3o_LdViEd6IQ6tOGMDjjdnwco/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: