gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:19:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Tidbit on the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  (Read 25014 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 04:46:57 PM »

OK that is actually an amazing line up, now I'm very excited

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2023, 06:33:48 AM »

Curious if the producers of the show (or Michael McDonald) have seen the "Long Promised Road", where Jason Fine tells a story about Brian and "What A Fool Believes." Maybe it's a good thing if Brian isn't there.

This lineup is firmly in the realm of "eye of the beholder" as far as personal preference versus what would constitute current day "A list", etc. As I mentioned awhile back, the Beatles tribute show the same people put on 8 or 9 years ago (or however long ago that was) worked a little better because they at least mixed the latter-day artists with a few sort-of "contemporaries" of the Beatles. At least some folks like Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Frampton (in the backing band anyway), and so on. They also obviously had the benefit of getting both Paul and Ringo as well.

I'm sure the artists on this BB show have a wide ranging level of familiarity and fandom for the Beach Boys, but I sense a lot of these artists will either be picking very well-known hits, or will be learning songs they've never heard before.

It speaks to, well, something, that they couldn't get much of any of the "legacy" era artists to do this (McDonald presumably being of the most vintage), nor much of any artists that have any link or known strong affinity for the Beach Boys. I guess Hanson has worked with Mike. Pentatonix is an all-vocal group, so that's something I guess.

Not that it's surprising, but this cast seems to have been assembled much more as if it were a typical Grammy show lineup, with as much youth demographic appeal as possible, followed by an attempt to grab a bunch of different genres/demographics.

Is is kind of interesting to see this right after having just recently finally read the updated version of David Leaf's book, where he goes into (kind of comically excessive) detail about putting together that 2001 TNT Brian tribute show. He managed to call in enough favors to get the likes of Paul Simon, Elton, Billy Joel, etc.

Hopefully at least the production value on this will be up to snuff enough and good songs and artists matched enough to sell young folks and other prospective new fans on getting into the Beach Boys.

And yes, for many reasons, it's probably best to forego any attempt at a "reunited" band on stage for this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfGeko61
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2023, 01:21:54 PM »

Interesting Line-up.  Suspect and/or hope for a great show.  Looking at names, although not really any ‘legacy’ artists basically ‘peer’ bands and or artists that are now in 60’s to 80 years old.   I also was hoping to see a couple more of the ‘legacy’ type artists on the lineup too.  Maybe some surprise guest or last minute additions before show.

I would say quite a few have pretty direct and deep influence or connections with quite a few of those artists. Weezer has always claimed big influence did a few BB covers and a song released called ‘The Beach Boys’ and several songs with lyrics calling out Beach Boys (they themselves called themselves Beach Boys with Marshall Stacks), My Morning Jacket (Jim James) of course just wrote the most recent new release single with BW - “Right Where I Belong'. Beck was very laudatory discussing BW/BB PetSounds in documentary ‘Echo in the Canyon,’  Norah Jones, John Legend, Hanson,  maybe others  have previously performed and or released BB cover songs.   Hopefully a couple of those artists are able to perform a few deeper cut songs too and not just the well known expected songs.

Many of those bands/artists are actually pretty well established and legendary in their own right if you are younger than me (I’m now in early 50’s).  Some I’m more familiar with than others for sure, a couple never heard of had to look up.  For example Weezer who I sometimes I think of as current ‘new artist’ is 30+ year old band, same goes for Hanson they are in there 40’s probably by now, Beck, Mumford and Sons, majority of artists been around for 10- 20+ years.   So basically I was thinking about when Beach Boys had a kind of comeback with Full House, 4th of July Concert, Endless Summer years and Brian Wilson basically starting Solo Career.  They were around same age as most of these artists and by then 15-20ish years depending on what ‘comeback’ moment counting.   Makes me feel old.

Still looking forward to the concert, wish I could go see in person, hopefully someone does and spills the beans on what happens.  We as BB/BW fans may not get many more events like this, and sadly so many of the ‘legacy artists’ that could’ve been part of lineup are no longer doing shows or have passed.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 06:24:05 PM »

I wonder if Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce (also maybe David?) will do a few songs together, at least Brian and Al seem to be winding down in terms of their performing days, might be the last time they ever appear together as a group which would be a special thing.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2023, 12:07:05 AM »

Curious if the producers of the show (or Michael McDonald) have seen the "Long Promised Road", where Jason Fine tells a story about Brian and "What A Fool Believes." Maybe it's a good thing if Brian isn't there.

This lineup is firmly in the realm of "eye of the beholder" as far as personal preference versus what would constitute current day "A list", etc. As I mentioned awhile back, the Beatles tribute show the same people put on 8 or 9 years ago (or however long ago that was) worked a little better because they at least mixed the latter-day artists with a few sort-of "contemporaries" of the Beatles. At least some folks like Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Frampton (in the backing band anyway), and so on. They also obviously had the benefit of getting both Paul and Ringo as well.

I'm sure the artists on this BB show have a wide ranging level of familiarity and fandom for the Beach Boys, but I sense a lot of these artists will either be picking very well-known hits, or will be learning songs they've never heard before.

It speaks to, well, something, that they couldn't get much of any of the "legacy" era artists to do this (McDonald presumably being of the most vintage), nor much of any artists that have any link or known strong affinity for the Beach Boys. I guess Hanson has worked with Mike. Pentatonix is an all-vocal group, so that's something I guess.

Not that it's surprising, but this cast seems to have been assembled much more as if it were a typical Grammy show lineup, with as much youth demographic appeal as possible, followed by an attempt to grab a bunch of different genres/demographics.

Is is kind of interesting to see this right after having just recently finally read the updated version of David Leaf's book, where he goes into (kind of comically excessive) detail about putting together that 2001 TNT Brian tribute show. He managed to call in enough favors to get the likes of Paul Simon, Elton, Billy Joel, etc.

Hopefully at least the production value on this will be up to snuff enough and good songs and artists matched enough to sell young folks and other prospective new fans on getting into the Beach Boys.

And yes, for many reasons, it's probably best to forego any attempt at a "reunited" band on stage for this.

Well, for such a storied brand name, when they did Stars & Stripes, they weren’t really able to get the “stars”. Except for Willie and Tammy, most of the country acts on that album were either on the way up or on the way down.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2023, 02:47:26 AM »

Well, for such a storied brand name, when they did Stars & Stripes, they weren’t really able to get the “stars”. Except for Willie and Tammy, most of the country acts on that album were either on the way up or on the way down.

True. Although it has to be said that there were some actual great names floating around in the pregame. Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Hank jr., Ronnie Milsap, Oak Ridge Boys were mentioned a.o. iIrc. I guess what it came down to was just that nobody cared to work something out with those people and went with the easier, make-a-quick-buck way (which unfortunately seems to be a very Beach-Boys-y way to do things). The potential of Stars&Stripes is one of my guilty pleasures and somewhere on this board I put togetehr a possible track & artists list for an alternative album which imo would have been a great release.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2023, 09:27:55 AM »

True. Although it has to be said that there were some actual great names floating around in the pregame. Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Hank jr., Ronnie Milsap, Oak Ridge Boys were mentioned a.o. iIrc. I guess what it came down to was just that nobody cared to work something out with those people and went with the easier, make-a-quick-buck way (which unfortunately seems to be a very Beach-Boys-y way to do things). The potential of Stars&Stripes is one of my guilty pleasures and somewhere on this board I put togetehr a possible track & artists list for an alternative album which imo would have been a great release.

Yes, a good BB/country music album was possible.  Stars & Stripes wasn’t it.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2023, 10:00:22 AM »

They should have done this about 10-15 years ago; it probably would have had a more impressive lineup.  But this ain't bad.  Hopefully we'll get some remarkable performances out of it.  But I doubt it will top the fantastic 2001 tribute to Brian Wilson.  Vince Gill's performance of "The Warmth of The Sun" just about blows away any tribute performance of a Beach Boys song to date.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2023, 11:04:42 PM »

So I’ve lost all hope that I had, say, a couple weeks ago. I’m excited by Michael McDonald and Brandi Carlille, but I bet I’d skip most of the rest of the show when it eventually airs. I might be in the age group of fans of a lot of the other artists mentioned, but they hold no interest for me. So much for the best of YESTERDAY along with today.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2023, 08:49:27 AM »

We've already had at least two very similar events (the 2001 TNT show and the Musicares show from 2005 or whenever that was), and both were mixed bags.

I don't think it's really possible to make these things *great*; I think some greatness could be stumbled upon with the right performers and song picks. But it's very hard to do, even with an A-list group, which this show certainly isn't. I'm not totally ignorant as to who might be a young A-lister with a young fanbase, I think this show isn't even getting like A-list talent even if it's all artists with little or no connection to the BBs or their fanbase.

Assuming the show goes well enough to air later in the year in primetime on a network, it will get some eyes and ears on BB music. That's good.

As I mentioned, it's pretty interesting to see this thing unfold having just read David Leaf's excruciatingly detailed account of putting together than TNT tribute. Leaf essentially called in favors, and/or called in favors to call in favors, etc., and that was all to achieve what was really a mixed bag of a tribute show.

Why this Grammy show can't get top-tier talent from all genres and eras is a question I can't fully answer. Is a "Brian Wilson" tribute show more enticing than a "Beach Boys" tribute show? Has Mike's occasional well-known gaffes (Rock Hall speech, political stuff of recent years) soured a few folks on doing something that isn't more Brian-centric?

I've always hoped for something that isn't like Morgan Freeman at a podium narrating while the same dozen early-era Capitol publicity photos swoosh by. Or that same stupid early 60s stock beach footage.

And you know, especially as the artist list gets less interesting, the show's producers are going to push for the most recognizable songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »

I’m actually most impressed with the team behind this, and looking at a few of the previous tributes, the high standard of production. Artists aside, this should be a class act.

*Ken Ehrlich Productions has been the leading production company in Los Angeles and produces Television, Specials, series and events for over 40 years. We have produced the Annual Grammy Awards, Emmy Awards and Concert specials. We have also produced events like the Obama Presidency fund raisers to the Women's Cancer Research Fund gala. Additionally, we have produced and directed Las Vegas residencies for Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and John Fogerty. Our clients include CBS, NBC, ABC along with artists from Celine Dion, The Rolling Stones, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez to name a few.*
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2023, 06:53:03 AM »

I’m actually most impressed with the team behind this, and looking at a few of the previous tributes, the high standard of production. Artists aside, this should be a class act.

*Ken Ehrlich Productions has been the leading production company in Los Angeles and produces Television, Specials, series and events for over 40 years. We have produced the Annual Grammy Awards, Emmy Awards and Concert specials. We have also produced events like the Obama Presidency fund raisers to the Women's Cancer Research Fund gala. Additionally, we have produced and directed Las Vegas residencies for Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and John Fogerty. Our clients include CBS, NBC, ABC along with artists from Celine Dion, The Rolling Stones, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez to name a few.*

I have no reason to doubt the production values will be just fine as far as these type of TV specials go. I mean, there's a point at which it's less a resume and more like evidence of a kind of cookie-cutter, assembly-line, sausage-making sort of thing with all of these shows.

But I've never assumed there would be any problems with the nuts-and-bolts in terms of production values. I'm sure the camera work and set design and all of that will be fine (probably, I mean I do think it was kind of weird on that Beatles Grammy tribute to have the "house band" on a second stage off to the side instead of behind the performers).

Their TV show production resume is fine. Their resume when it comes to the Beach Boys is close to zip. I don't complain too much about this, because it's not like there's a BRI in-house team that regularly produces Beach Boys tribute shows that they can go to. *But*, there are folks at BRI and others who could certainly help them make this thing a little more special. I sense this is going to be that 2012 round-robin Beach Boys "tribute" from the actual Grammy show, just minus the actual Beach Boys. In other words, and again I don't expect otherwise, but these shows are not for fans. They're for the same people who would watch the actual Grammy awards telecast, who might be hearing "You're So Good To Me" or whatever for the first time.

My only wish for these things is less about getting cover artists *I* want, and just about making the thing a little more "Concert for George" than the Beach Boys 25th Anniversary special in terms of gravitas and esteem and tone. I don't sense this upcoming show will be such an event. The fact that a Beach Boys "reunion" is likely past its expiration date makes me less interested of course. But of course I'll watch, and if any artists pick cool songs or do a good job, I'll be happy to say so.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2023, 07:37:23 PM »

I guess I've really missed the boat on some of these acts. I've heard a few Weezer songs but they're not a band I really know anything about. Whenever I hear their name, I think of "Weezy" on the Jeffersons tv show.
I know Belinda Carlisle, but not Brandi. I know she's really big with the AA (Adult Alternative) crowd.
Of course I know Norah Jones quite well, but haven't heard anything of hers since the third album "It's Not Too Late". Ditto for Leann Rimes. I remember when "Blue" and "How Do I Live" were all over radio, but not familiar with anything recent.
Part of the problem here is there just aren't many peers of the Beach Boys left. It would have been nice to have an appearance from Christine McVie, in memory of Dennis. I'm sure everyone would want to see Paul McCartney participate, but what would be the point of him showing up and singing "Let it Be" or "Hey Jude"?
If the documentary ever happens, that might be something to get excited about.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 07:00:56 AM »

I'm sure everyone would want to see Paul McCartney participate, but what would be the point of him showing up and singing "Let it Be" or "Hey Jude"?

When he played at the George Harrison tribute gig he was playing on George's songs. Hell, I even think he played on at least one song about himself - and not in a complimentary way!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure if McCartney did show up, the point would be to do a Beach Boys song.

I'm not even sure I'd want to see McCartney on a show like this. He didn't sound so great singing "God Only Knows" at that benefit show with Brian back in 2000-whatever. I do think his current voice (read: not in good shape at all) could still be matched to a good song though.

But not landing a McCartney-type for this show is I suppose more just a bit emblematic of either not seeking out "legacy artists" or other contemporaries of the BBs, and/or not having the clout/pull to get such acts.

Knowing what I know, I think they probably had to bust their asses to get what they *did* get for this show. Like, that was probably achieved by a lot of last-minute cajoling and horse trading.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »

I guess I've really missed the boat on some of these acts. I've heard a few Weezer songs but they're not a band I really know anything about. Whenever I hear their name, I think of "Weezy" on the Jeffersons tv show.
I know Belinda Carlisle, but not Brandi. I know she's really big with the AA (Adult Alternative) crowd.
Of course I know Norah Jones quite well, but haven't heard anything of hers since the third album "It's Not Too Late". Ditto for Leann Rimes. I remember when "Blue" and "How Do I Live" were all over radio, but not familiar with anything recent.
Part of the problem here is there just aren't many peers of the Beach Boys left. It would have been nice to have an appearance from Christine McVie, in memory of Dennis. I'm sure everyone would want to see Paul McCartney participate, but what would be the point of him showing up and singing "Let it Be" or "Hey Jude"?
If the documentary ever happens, that might be something to get excited about.

Brandi Carlile (no “s” in her surname, BTW) is royalty in the folk/Americana world. She has won 6 Grammys all under the folk/Americana categories and has enough mainstream recognition to have been a regular musical guests on several TV shows (most recently SNL back in December).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1848488/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_1

She also has several rather famous fans. Elton John (she does a terrific “Madman Across The Water” https://youtu.be/oMeXtjyk488), Joni Mitchell (Brandi was the emcee for Joni’s return to the stage at last year’s Newport Folk Festival https://youtu.be/sN9n41Q67zE), and Sheryl Crow.  She might not be Bad Bunny-famous, but she does have some mainstream recognition. .

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2023, 11:53:44 AM »

Ken Ehrlich is not producing the Grammy special.

Joel Gallen is.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0302778/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2023, 12:04:12 PM »

it's pretty funny to see anyone knocking Paul's 80-year old voice on a Brian Wilson message board. sure it ain't what it used to be but I caught Paul on his tour last summer and he gave an incredible performance, all things considered. try singing I've Got A Feeling at any age, let alone 80. not to mention the 35 other songs he did that night. Paul and Brian are like night and day as far as onstage charisma and abilities... he had an entire stadium in the palm of his hand.

Paul is exactly the guest we should want to see on a Beach Boys tribute, although it doesn't seem likely. and the idea of him showing up and doing Hey Jude or Let It Be is laughable, though Brian has given Let It Be the same type of praise that Paul gives God Only Knows.

I'm not too excited about any of the names we've been given, and some are downright headscratchers. but Brandi Carlile is definitely pretty huge these days and deserves most of the credit for getting Joni Mitchell to perform again last year... a highly celebrated event with a good amount of star power.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:05:38 PM by bossaroo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »

I bow to nobody in my love for Paul McCartney and his music. He's like THE guy, of all time. I've studied every nook and cranny of his career, of his life.  Defended him *here* many times to the most die-hard BB/Brian fans who from time to time have some weird hang-up about the Beatles.

But his voice has been in very rough shape for a number of years now, certainly the last decade give or take. It's indeed a totally different deal from Brian's issues over the years; it's difficult to compare too much.

But listen to Howie's Fabcast Beatles podcast; they talk about McCartney's voice in a very honest, direct way, but as die hard fans and scholars of the man. It's kind of like criticizing your kid; you're allowed to do it, but it's not so great coming from others, especially non-fans. I feel I can be pretty blunt about Paul's voice because I've listened to it and studied it and admired it since I could listen to music. And I've stuck with him and his voice though many, many, many ups and downs.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the Fabcast guys. It's *heartbreaking* what has happened to Paul's voice. Yes, yes, of course he still can command an arena, a stadium, all of that. That's how amazing his music is, and how energetic he still is. And his voice even now can be fit into certain material better than others. As fans have pointed out, it's actually the throat-shredders like "Helter Skelter" and "I've Got a Feeling" that, these days, are more palatable in concert compared to him trying to sing like "Maybe I'm Amazed."

But I remember listening to that "In the Blink of an Eye" track Paul released several years back, and I was depressed for the rest of the day. It had reached a stage where Paul couldn't even rescue the voice in the studio.

Again, I bow to nobody in my love for the man and the musician/singer/writer. And some things still sound better than others. And, I don't even really think too much about trying to figure out exactly *why* his voice has deteriorated so much beyond the normal aging process, or how much we're like supposed to "blame" him for it. Smoking a million pounds of weed for decade after decade didn't help. But I also think some medical or medical-adjacent issues have come into play as well. And I do think "McCartney III" shows him finally starting to figure out how to work with his voice a bit better.

I was kind of just riffing previously about Paul being at this BB tribute show. I do think he could be paired with a good song. Not "God Only Knows." But something.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2023, 02:45:42 PM »

McCartney is a guy for me that wore out his welcome years ago. Too much ego and fake thumbs up, and probably just the fact that everybody worships him like he walks on water. Paul was the bright, sunny one of the Beatles, while John and George balanced that some darkness and reality.
The way Macca treated the other guys in Wings still annoys me.
But I'm a minority voice here; and no question about it, I do love most of the music Paul made or was a part of from 1962-1985.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2023, 06:38:24 PM »

Ken Ehrlich is not producing the Grammy special.

Joel Gallen is.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0302778/

Thanks Howie. I must have misinterpreted one of the links.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2023, 06:41:27 PM »

I just hope if Mike is there, he is not fasting and has time to meditate before he gets anywhere near a mic. 😉
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »

McCartney is a guy for me that wore out his welcome years ago. Too much ego and fake thumbs up, and probably just the fact that everybody worships him like he walks on water. Paul was the bright, sunny one of the Beatles, while John and George balanced that some darkness and reality.
But I'm a minority voice here; and no question about it, I do love most of the music Paul made or was a part of from 1962-1985.

I mean, his voice is thrashed, and recent albums have been pretty weak. I don't really agree with any of the above, though. Yes, his public persona is rather autopilot. I think all of these guys, from Mike/Beach Boys to Brian to McCartney are all playing to crowds of people who adore/worship them. All of them have fanbases who sometimes skew too far into the overly-forgiving/unquestioning category (e.g. liking "Kisses on the Bottom").

I think an actual deep dive into the Beatles and their lives and music proves the pigeonholing of each of them as a particular type (e.g. sunny vs. "real", etc.) is ill-advised.

The Wings relationships vary wildly depending on what we're talking about. He certainly has been too dismissive of them as far as even *mentioning* them. The "Wingspan" doc was embarrassing. That has been somewhat corrected with the "Archive" boxed sets that include ample inclusion of the other members. I think pretty much all of the various Wings members were nowhere near the same league as the guy. That he dropped them creatively is not something I can really disagree with. One can't help but wish he had at times been a bit more gracious about discussing them over the years certainly.

But back to the Beach Boys, I certainly feel like it would have been more likely to get him at a BB tribute show in the last 10 years than prior. If he's willing to get on stage with Ringo (which he wasn't often doing prior to the last decade or so), then certainly popping by to remind us he loves "Pet Sounds" certainly seems plausible. But I figure it would have been announced by now. As I've mentioned, from what I've heard, it's been all they could do to get who they have so far.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2023, 01:05:16 PM »

I mean, his voice is thrashed, and recent albums have been pretty weak. I don't really agree with any of the above, though. Yes, his public persona is rather autopilot. I think all of these guys, from Mike/Beach Boys to Brian to McCartney are all playing to crowds of people who adore/worship them. All of them have fanbases who sometimes skew too far into the overly-forgiving/unquestioning category (e.g. liking "Kisses on the Bottom").

I think an actual deep dive into the Beatles and their lives and music proves the pigeonholing of each of them as a particular type (e.g. sunny vs. "real", etc.) is ill-advised.

The Wings relationships vary wildly depending on what we're talking about. He certainly has been too dismissive of them as far as even *mentioning* them. The "Wingspan" doc was embarrassing. That has been somewhat corrected with the "Archive" boxed sets that include ample inclusion of the other members. I think pretty much all of the various Wings members were nowhere near the same league as the guy. That he dropped them creatively is not something I can really disagree with. One can't help but wish he had at times been a bit more gracious about discussing them over the years certainly.

But back to the Beach Boys, I certainly feel like it would have been more likely to get him at a BB tribute show in the last 10 years than prior. If he's willing to get on stage with Ringo (which he wasn't often doing prior to the last decade or so), then certainly popping by to remind us he loves "Pet Sounds" certainly seems plausible. But I figure it would have been announced by now. As I've mentioned, from what I've heard, it's been all they could do to get who they have so far.
Fair enough.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2023, 05:51:56 PM »

So this is in s few hours. The big question, will Brian be there?

I'll be following the various social media platforms for updates

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx