gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Tidbit on the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  (Read 25007 times)
SurfGeko61
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2022, 04:56:14 PM »

Cool tidbit and think exciting news regarding the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  from a new Rivers Cuomo/Weezer interview.
https://consequence.net/2022/12/weezer-interview-sznz-rivers-cuomo/3/

“ What’s next for Weezer?
We have a big tour announcement coming soon. And in the “pure fun” department, we’re going to participate in this television tribute to The Beach Boys. So we’re in the midst of figuring out which Beach Boys songs we want to cover, and oh my God, it’s incredibly fun. It feels so good to play and sing these songs. And I’m reminded of how much I used them as a model when I was first starting out writing songs for Weezer”

I’ve always wished and hoped for Weezer/Rivers Cuomo Brian Wilson collaboration project, although that may never happen, excited to see/hear what Weezer comes up with and does for the tribute song(s).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 05:25:47 PM »

Good catch!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:07:08 AM »

This doesn't really excite me much. Seeing a bunch of bands, probably current and from yester year, performing classic BB songs. With or without whosever left, this strikes me as a worse effort that the 25th anniverrsary special from Hawaii...which wasn't really that good. We shall see. Maybe they can have that obnoxious guy play Do It Again, and have him strut around the stage with Mike screaming "DO IT"...or have Stamos mug for the cameras "playing" a guitar that isn't even plugged in. Would have been better to just have whose left, with Blondie and Ricky too, play a few classics...just that alone would have been enough IMHO.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 11:20:15 AM »

Well…I think the whole point is to keep the BBs on the public radar and relevant to the younger folks-for whom even Weezer are oldies now! If it gets people to appreciate the band and sells some records than it is all good.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »

This is very exciting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 08:14:43 AM »

Cool tidbit and think exciting news regarding the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  from a new Rivers Cuomo/Weezer interview.
https://consequence.net/2022/12/weezer-interview-sznz-rivers-cuomo/3/

“ What’s next for Weezer?
We have a big tour announcement coming soon. And in the “pure fun” department, we’re going to participate in this television tribute to The Beach Boys. So we’re in the midst of figuring out which Beach Boys songs we want to cover, and oh my God, it’s incredibly fun. It feels so good to play and sing these songs. And I’m reminded of how much I used them as a model when I was first starting out writing songs for Weezer”

I’ve always wished and hoped for Weezer/Rivers Cuomo Brian Wilson collaboration project, although that may never happen, excited to see/hear what Weezer comes up with and does for the tribute song(s).

That would be the perfect opportunity for them to dust off this little track they did:

https://youtu.be/RsG37JcEQNw

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 08:18:24 AM »

This doesn't really excite me much. Seeing a bunch of bands, probably current and from yester year, performing classic BB songs. With or without whosever left, this strikes me as a worse effort that the 25th anniverrsary special from Hawaii...which wasn't really that good. We shall see. Maybe they can have that obnoxious guy play Do It Again, and have him strut around the stage with Mike screaming "DO IT"...or have Stamos mug for the cameras "playing" a guitar that isn't even plugged in. Would have been better to just have whose left, with Blondie and Ricky too, play a few classics...just that alone would have been enough IMHO.

I dunno.  Let's see who shows up.  The tribute concert they did for Brian back in 2001 was quite good, featuring a stellar performance of "The Warmth of the Sun" by Vince Gill and a lovely reading of "Surfer Girl" by Paul Simon.  And speaking of Simon, his tribute concert they recently aired wasn't bad. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 07:19:47 PM »

Hopefully, it'll be classy and on PBS, rather than tacky and on Faux.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »

The date of the tribute show for the BBs has finally been announced (see below).

From https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/grammy-salute-the-beach-boys-2023-1235198488/:

"A Grammy Salute to The Beach Boys, the latest in a series of "Grammy Salute" specials, will tape Wednesday, Feb. 8, three days after the 65th annual Grammy Awards are held in Los Angeles. The live concert special will feature a star-studded lineup paying tribute to the classic pop/rock group. It will tape at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and will air on CBS later this year."

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 10:39:18 PM »

The date of the tribute show for the BBs has finally been announced (see below).

From https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/grammy-salute-the-beach-boys-2023-1235198488/:

"A Grammy Salute to The Beach Boys, the latest in a series of "Grammy Salute" specials, will tape Wednesday, Feb. 8, three days after the 65th annual Grammy Awards are held in Los Angeles. The live concert special will feature a star-studded lineup paying tribute to the classic pop/rock group. It will tape at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and will air on CBS later this year."

Oh wow - let’s hope there are some actual stars. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to post, but others have floated (or read, j can’t recall) about big names of today and yesterday? In terms of today, I’m not a fan of Weezer, but Rivers Cuomo does seem to like The Beach Boys (and I think The Monkees too, IIRC). Maybe the Jonas Brothers for today? (I’m not a fan, but Nick Jonas was in LPR, so who knows?)

In terms of yesterday, who’s still around that’s would be up for and/or able to do it? The Rolling Stones, if they page brushed off Mike? LOL  Paul McCartney on God Only Knows, perhaps? (Imagine if Paul and Ringo Starr did God Only Knows together? A Beatles reunion for a Beach Boys event would be awesome.) Bob Dylan? Roger McGuinn? David Crosby? (Imagine a Byrds reunion too?) Micky Dolenz? Peter Noone? Barry Gibb? Maybe Willie Nelson doing The Warmth of the Sun again? The Eagles (now with 2001 BW special alumnus Vince Gill)? Bruce Springsteen? Maybe Elton John since he was in LPR? Jeff Lynne/ELO? Lorrie Morgan doing Don’t Worry Baby again?

What do we think the chances of any of the band, other than I’d say Al being 99% likely IMO, attending. I know it wouldn’t happen but a full band reunion (including Blondie and even Ricky if he was interested) backed by any/some/many/all of Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, (Mike Kowalski on percussion?), Brian’s band, Scott Totten, John Cowsill, and maybe even Brian Eichenberger would be pretty awesome!! (Especially since it would 99.99% likely be the last possible time.) I tried to narrow down a potential setlist, but I couldn’t get lower than like 15, which definitely wouldn’t happen. I doubt if it did happen that it would go above a handful.

After all, Paul and Ringo reunited for their special for a handful of songs, which I missed somehow when it aired — maybe my DVR deleted it on its own or something. (Did Barry Gibb play at the one for The Bee Gees? I also missed that one somehow when it aired - but I think I forgot to DVR that one.) Too bad they don’t re-air and/or release these on DVD or something.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 06:34:57 AM »

The press release conspicuously does not mention any actual BB member participation, likely because either they don't want to reveal anything, and/or don't know who's confirmed yet.

As I've said many many times, these shows usually aren't great. The Paul/Ringo Beatles Grammy Salute they did several years back was about as good as it gets; they actually got some non-current-hit-maker contemporaries in the show (e.g. Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, etc.) rather than having only wall-to-wall current hitmakers. And even that show wasn't great.

That this is a Grammy Salute event done a few days after the actual award show portends well for getting some "big names", but I really have to assume the worst of such a show on all counts and then be possibly pleasantly surprised as far as the other artists showing up.

The question of a full band "reunion" is a whole other ball of wax, and I have to think best case scenario is either some-but-not-all members joining in some group thing at the end, or *maybe* if Brian is in shape to do it, a very short set by the reunited band. And I'm just going to say it: Even with this being a pre-taped thing where they have months to do editing, Brian can't be in the same shape he was at the end of his 2022 Chicago tour if they plan on having him at the show. Even if they just have others sing, it's just not going to work if he sits completely stone-faced not reacting to *anything* around him.

The question from the fan perspective is; if Brian can't be there, do we want the rest of the reunited band? I honestly can't say I'm sure. There's obviously always morbid curiosity post-1997 to even see Al and Mike in the same room, let alone on stage together. But I guess if everybody *but* Brian showed up, I'd rather see individual members do some showcase numbers or work with other artists, rather than a "Partial Reunion Band" set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »

As a fan of 45 years, experience tells me dial any expectations back to about a 1-2.
2012 was the exception.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 05:26:39 PM »

So, who here is dying to hear Lizzo sing Don't Worry Baby?    LOL

j/k  I don't mean to pick on Lizzo.  I'm sure she's very talented.  But I have extremely low expectations in terms of the tribute lineup bringing anything new or innovative in interpreting the BB catalog.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 07:15:03 PM »

Brian doesn't have to be on stage - just get Mike, Bruce, Al, David. Do a video tribute to Carl and Dennis.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 08:56:17 PM »

I hope Bonnie Raitt shows up and plays something with Blondie and Ricky.

Maybe Al could get some of his collaborators from Postcard and reconstitute Crosby, Stills, Jardine, and Young for "CA Saga."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:59:20 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
SurfGeko61
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 01:35:16 PM »

Cool, looking forward to it.  Was looking up some of the Grammy tribute events of Paul Simon, Beatles, Beatles, Bee Gees….looks like the ‘tribute artist(s) did show up for previous and overall seemed like a pretty good mix of top notch artists to Perform.  So hope whoever ends up on this one is top tier artist it’s new and older.  One artist that came to mind, not typically associated with Brian/Beach Boys etc and not sure has ever perform that I’ve seen is Dolly Parton, I could think of many songs imagine she would sound great on.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 02:15:16 PM »

It's a safe bet that no one's going to perfom Carl's solo song "The Grammy."  Wink
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 08:40:53 AM »

I'd like to hear Bonnie Raitt do Sail On Sailor, with Ricky on drums, of course.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 07:52:43 PM »

Let's not lie.. that's a huge disappointment

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 05:51:22 AM »

There are good ways of doing such tributes - the Kennedy Centre Honors type shows are generally well-regarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZ_EFAmj08

Of course I wouldn't put it past the BBs to do something completely full of naff inflatable palm trees and the rest, but this shows it can be done...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 06:44:10 AM »

The set design is not what we should be worrying about when it comes to this show. I wouldn't be surprised if the set design ends up being the *best* aspect of this thing.

Also, while I would imagine Iconic/BRI are looped in on this, it appears they are not producing the show themselves.

The default position as many of us have stated is that expectations should be set very low on such things, and nothing I've heard in the last few days about this show has dissuaded me from that position.

The lack of almost *any* details in the announcement should tell you something, or in fact a number of things. (And I'm not talking about keeping things a surprise).

I think the best way to celebrate the band and whatever anniversary you might care to is to listen to the "Sail on Sailor" set, or pop in your favorite recording from the 2012 tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 01:31:49 PM »

They're selling tickets for the tribute show. Still zero details on any guests. I'm starting to wonder if they should have just re-run the 25th Anniversary special.

$300 for the best tickets, and you could well end up with no Beach Boys on stage and/or in attendance, and Weezer may end up being the top-billed guest.

https://www.goldstar.com/events/hollywood-ca/a-grammy-salute-to-the-beach-boys-tickets

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 01:33:26 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 02:47:37 PM »

They're selling tickets for the tribute show. Still zero details on any guests. I'm starting to wonder if they should have just re-run the 25th Anniversary special.

$300 for the best tickets, and you could well end up with no Beach Boys on stage and/or in attendance, and Weezer may end up being the top-billed guest.

https://www.goldstar.com/events/hollywood-ca/a-grammy-salute-to-the-beach-boys-tickets

Why am I getting Three’s Company vibes from that logo?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »

A GRAMMY Salute To The Beach Boys Tribute Concert To Feature Performances By John Legend, Brandi Carlile, St. Vincent, Beck, Fall Out Boy, Mumford & Sons, Weezer & More; Tickets On Sale Now

https://www.grammy.com/news/beach-boys-grammy-salute-2023-lineup-john-legend-brandi-carlile-st-vincent-beck

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »

If anybody can bring down the house, it'll be Brandi Carlile. Grateful for all the details you've filled in by sharing this Grammy press release, Rocker.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:17:05 PM by jeremylr » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx