gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:08:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here She Comes - Most popular song on CATP  (Read 3576 times)
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2022, 05:02:30 PM »

Was listening to the 2000 remaster of CATP on Spotify and noticed that Here She Comes has way more plays than all the other songs on the album:

I like the song, but wouldn't have expected it to be the most popular, considering other songs have been featured in more greatest hits albums. Was it featured in a movie or TV show?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 07:21:23 PM »

It's very surprising! I first learned of this from The Cincinnati Kid who analyzes the Beach Boys Spotify statistics. Check it out over on The Beach Boys Today forum. 

https://thebeachboystoday.proboards.com/thread/580/beach-boys-spotify-streaming-statistics

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 03:28:01 PM »

While HSC slaps pretty hard it can definitely be considered a deep cut. Has it been featured prominently in some media or is that purely organic popularity?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »

I bet people are searching for Hall and Oates' "Maneater" with the phase "Here she comes."
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »

I bet people are searching for Hall and Oates' "Maneater" with the phase "Here she comes."

Brilliant!  LOL  That would explain it.

hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »

It's a great tune - do we know whether it was ever played live?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 05:37:16 AM »

Thank you, Wirestone. At 400M plays, I believe you've solved the mystery.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »

I'm not surprised. That song has aged very well and it's sound works even in today's music scene.

It's a great tune - do we know whether it was ever played live?

It was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wR5D_V3Uxw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 05:41:13 PM »

Nice! I like this, sounds a bit funkier than the studio version somehow. Thanks for the link!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »

That song is the closest they ever got to sounding like a real rock band.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 08:22:06 AM »

I love Here She Comes!  One of my favorites!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 12:09:18 PM »

Nice! I like this, sounds a bit funkier than the studio version somehow. Thanks for the link!

I was hoping that a live version would be included in the box set.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 03:18:44 PM »

That song is the closest they ever got to sounding like a real rock band.
Yeah, the Beach Boys were never a real rock band.
"You say we're manufactured, to that we all agree, so make your choice and we'll rejoice in never being free"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 04:05:59 AM »

It's definitely an underrated track.  It's also the most "un-Beach Boys"-sounding track they ever did.  Surprised that it overtook "Marcella".

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 12:51:22 PM »

In a perfect world, Here She Comes would be included in every Greatest Hits compilation from the Beach Boys. It's an amazing song.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:51:54 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 06:10:53 AM »

Compare and contrast the play counts for the CATP songs from Sail On Sailor:
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 12:49:16 PM »

My daughter is 16 and has recently become a Beach Boys obsessive. This is one of her very favorite tracks. She's listening with fresh ears. Maybe the contributions of Ricky and Blondie need to be reevaluated. The song certainly has strong hooks.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 06:37:31 AM »

My daughter is 16 and has recently become a Beach Boys obsessive. This is one of her very favorite tracks. She's listening with fresh ears. Maybe the contributions of Ricky and Blondie need to be reevaluated. The song certainly has strong hooks.

Ricky and Blondie deserve a lot of credit for keeping the band afloat during that period, especially in the touring circuit.  They provided the group with a much-needed edge that definitely added some grit to their music.  I think had they stuck around a bit longer for at least one more album, they would have probably successfully had completely fused and blended their sound in with the band.  We could have potentially had a killer album comparable to the "earthy" sound that the Rolling Stones were demonstrating on their albums at the time (Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet,  etc.). 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 09:01:08 AM »

Ricky and Blondie deserve a lot of credit for keeping the band afloat during that period, especially in the touring circuit.  They provided the group with a much-needed edge that definitely added some grit to their music.  I think had they stuck around a bit longer for at least one more album, they would have probably successfully had completely fused and blended their sound in with the band.  We could have potentially had a killer album comparable to the "earthy" sound that the Rolling Stones were demonstrating on their albums at the time (Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet,  etc.). 

I agree completely. An alternate-reality 1975 album with Blondie and Ricky still on board, considering the work that Dennis was doing in that time frame, and where Dennis and Blondie ended up going with their respective 1977 solo albums, should have been absolutely stunning. Throw in Brian continuing his early-70s pattern of working up a couple of his stronger compositions instead of half-assing covers, and you have a hell of a record.

Of course, this is like the alternate reality of an alternate reality, given that even without Blondie and Ricky a ton of great-to-promising material was thrown out in this time frame in favor of Brian Wilson half-assing covers.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx