gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:03:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce at Carnegie Hall  (Read 2191 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »

Thought people might be interested in a brief review of last night's show... It was an interesting evening, but I'm definitely glad I went!

They played two long sets... but sadly, the Christmas songs seemed to take the place of any potential deep cuts (including an astonishing four songs from Reason for the Season... and yet, not the one I wanted to hear! I was really hoping they'd do Alone on Christmas Day). And while Mike and Bruce both made comments about playing Carnegie Hall 50 years ago, they didn't give us a single song from Sail on Sailor.

The stage was nicely decorated, and they had a roughly 20 piece orchestra behind them, with strings, horns, and tympani. The orchestra director was really funny, conducting with his whole body, honestly it was a great bit of old fashioned showmanship and a lot of fun to watch. The energy on stage was great. (Crowd energy less so... there were a lot of empty seats... they shouldn't have sold the top half of the balcony, frankly. Then again, the people there were having fun! Kind of funny to see an entire empty section of seats, with a single woman standing in the middle of it and just dancing and having the time of her life). The orchestra played even with the rock songs, and I'll be honest, the sound didn't quite gel. But actually, they struggled with the sound for a bit more than half the concert. I think it was a combination of the venue, the size of the band with the strings... I don't know, but I was in the first row balcony, and the mix was terrible at the beginning. The backing vocals were totally drowned out and the drums were way too loud. That said, the band was playing really, really well, it was just not translating into the room. They obviously made drastic adjustments during the intermission, and the second set sounded a lot, lot better. Ironically, the Pet Sounds songs sounded pretty damn incredible with the orchestra, the acoustics of the room, and the vocal blend finally working together. California Girls also sounded pretty amazing.

Bruce sang White Christmas and I'll be Home for Christmas. The latter sounded really good to me, the first didn't quite come together. Again, though, a big part of that was the sound in the room being off during the first set, and basically fixed during the second.

John Stamos hammed it up and did his thing, and honestly, all I can say is that the audience ate it up. Being in the crowd at this show, I really could not blame Mike for the choices he's making. The band is obviously working hard to do the music justice, but as much as it rankles to see Forever presented as a tribute to Full House, instead of a tribute to Dennis Wilson... this crowd went absolutely wild for the Full House stuff. The middle aged woman next to me, who must have been a teenager in the early 90s, was ecstatic, and she wasn't the only one. Likewise, the cartoon videos and montages of vintage footage were not necessarily what I would put alongside the Beach Boys music, but the people around me clearly were enjoying them. I did personally appreciate that the montage of vintage girls-from-around-the-world that they've put together to accompany California Girls heavily features Francoise Hardy, although there's a certain sad irony, for sure, to taking one of the most beautiful songs ever written that most people think is just a silly tribute to girls from around the country, and backing it up with clips of one of the most brilliant singer-songwriters of the 60s, presented as if she were just a swimsuit model!

John Cowsill was a highlight, as always. Brian Eichenberger also sounded great! And Mike's voice sounded really good, better than it has in a while. Honestly, it remains well worth 50 bucks just to hear these songs sung by their original singer and co-writer. And any concert where I can hear California Girls, Sloop John B, God Only Knows, Wouldn't it Be Nice and Good Vibrations done justice is money well spent, whatever else is going on. It's just a shame that the setlist didn't play to the band's strengths, because as I said they sounded way better on the fuller productions where they could take full advantage of the orchestra than on the rockers!

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 05:11:45 PM »

Tx for the review. Really surprised nothing from SOS box....strange considering the 50 year anniversary.  One thing a bit strange Bruce talking about being at Carneghie 50 years ago,  he wasn't touring with them at that point and wasnt at those shows as far as I know.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 05:48:10 PM »

Tx for the review. Really surprised nothing from SOS box....strange considering the 50 year anniversary.  One thing a bit strange Bruce talking about being at Carneghie 50 years ago,  he wasn't touring with them at that point and wasnt at those shows as far as I know.

Actually, they played Carnegie Hall the first time in Feb., 1971, and Bruce sang Tears in the Morning and Your Song! Although it was 51 years ago, not 50!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 05:52:09 PM »

But yea, I was really hoping for at least All This is That, which I'm pretty sure they did do the last time I saw them! I really think Only with You would be perfect for Christian Love's voice... and honestly probably a beautiful enough song that if you snuck it in after God Only Knows you'd probably be able to take even the Kokomo crowd with you. But alas, no one asked me!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 04:37:15 AM »

Tx, I forgot about 1971. Surprising lack of SOS, but oh well. I love Only With You, but don't share your sentiments with regards to Christian Love's voice performing it. I find him to be extremely Bland with very little tone and nothing at all like Carl's voice which is not to say anything because no one seems like carl. It's just his voice seems like nothing to me. Very Bland very boring don't see him singing this song at all
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 08:36:35 AM »

Here's the whole show:

The Beach Boys w/John Stamos - Carnegie Hall, NYC, December 5 2022 *FULL SHOW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6sC2D3bHA

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »

Thanks for posting. I thought the orchestra was the best part of the show. The drums were mixed way too loud....completely overpowered the vocals. You could barely hear the guys singing, especially Mike and Bruce. I guess they fixed the sound a bit in the 2cd half, but damage done. Cowsil sounded fine o Darlin, but just not a fan at all of Christian Love. He just sounds so "BLAH" and bland to me. to me the worst part of the show was......Stamos. I know lots of folks love the guy, the fans sure seemed like they do cheering for everything he did. But I find his "I'm a rock star" posturing and posing just plain annoying. Oh well, thanks again for posting.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 11:44:30 PM »

I'm sure they will add some SOS songs after the holidays. It will be interesting to see which ones. My guesses? All This Is That, Marcella, California Saga, and Sail on Sailor. John Cowsill singing the latter.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »

I seriously doubt any reference to that said will be made on stage by Mike. Also, they have an unusually light schedule for 2023 as of right now. Usually much more is up and available leading into the new year...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 12:28:26 AM »

I seriously doubt any reference to that said will be made on stage by Mike. Also, they have an unusually light schedule for 2023 as of right now. Usually much more is up and available leading into the new year...
Well, they are getting older...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx