gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:02:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new SMiLE ("Hitsville Mix" by soniclovenoize)!!  (Read 1635 times)
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »

Hey there.  Recently, a bunch of people were requesting that I upgrade my SMiLE...  At first I was like "Why?  It's fine."  but then I heard the simply atrocious 2022 stereo remix of Do You Like Worms from Sounds of Summer, and boldly thought "Hrrrmph!  I can do better!!"  So I did (at least imo).  And then I thought "Hmm, ALL of these stereo mixes should get updated, really..." 

So decided to fulfill the request and make an all new, ALL STEREO, SMiLE... one that is completely separate from my "soniclovenoize 1967 Mix".  An alternate SMiLE from soniclovenoize, if you will...  But a few notes:
1) ALL STEREO because we can.  At the bare minimum, if this reconstruction sucks, then that's OK because here's some brand spankin new stereo mixes you can use for your own purposes, nefarious as they might be. 
2) oh yes it is the CAPITOL TRACKLIST SEQUENCE!?!?!  Yes indeed, we are going to somehow try and make the Handwritten List work!  And indeed, for it to work, the structure of the songs themselves need to change to help the overall structure of the album.  Also, to make the tracklist more cohesive, all the songs are connected or crossfaded somehow into two continuous sides of music. 

So anyways, here's my new SMiLE ("Hitsville Mix" by soniclovenoize)

FLAC: https://mega.nz/file/XtVGQS5Y#VK5F6IlUMKTpiR4wvLcLDIDpBA-YPMZWgmBjN5GjIxc
MP3: https://mega.nz/file/K5EmBTCT#PKct6zA7VLsSvIRFVNnhakNvo_xnnEqzQkmqR4u1pkA

Side A:
1.  Our Prayer
2.  Do You Like Worms
3.  Wind Chimes
4.  Heroes and Villains Part I
5.  Heroes and Villains Part II
6.  Surf’s Up
7.  Good Vibrations

Side B:
8.  Cabin Essence 
9.  Wonderful
10.  I’m In Great Shape
11.  Child is Father of The Man
12.  The Elements
13.  Vege-Tables
14.  The Old Master Painter

ADDITIONAL TRACK NOTES:
- Completely new stereo mixes of DYLW and Wind Chimes by yours truly, as an alternative for the official ones on Soudns of Summer and TSS/MIC
- As posted earlier, I was super excited for an ALL STEREO CANTINA H&V!!!  So it's included...  sort of.  Barnshine is used in OMP, of course, so now it's Tape Explosion -> Bridge To Indians ->  Prelude To Fade
- For fun, I made a completely new (and what I think of as an original take on) "Heroes and Villains Part II".  This one, using the Gee/Part 2 iterations and some of Brian Psychedelic Sounds and other dialog, is supposed to represent a VAUDEVILLE VARIETY SHOW, in which The BBs are literally performing as a psychedelic Barber Shop quartet, have a vocal break and then there's a comedy sketch.  If you can picture that in your head. 
- Completely new mix of Surf's Up which is the reconstructed backing track from TSS + the isolated vocals from Feels Flow.  Don't want to spoil the fun so just listen!
- new stereo mixes I made of CE and Wonderful with an improved sound stage
- The Elements?  Barnyard is Earth, Whispering Winds is Wind, MOLC is Fire (duh!) and Water Chant is Water.  Heresy you say???  JUST LISTEN TO IT and tell me. 
- Really fun new stereo mix of VT, that essentially has that cool reverb on the vocal at "Toss me a carrot" that's only heard on Brian Wilson's mono mixes from UM17, and has the 1993 Mark Linett crossfade from the Chorus to the Fade, that's only been heard on the GV boxset! 

Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:08:33 PM »

Looking forward to hearing this.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:45:04 PM »

Well... just fantastic. Not only you make THE tracklist work perfectly, but you also make it sound effortless and natural, like it were SMiLE as always intended.
And the same for your Elements: the track flows naturally, and could not get more "elemental" than this.
Really impressive, thanks a million for making and sharing it.  💚
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 12:49:34 AM »

Just wanted to bump this thread, thank soniclovenoize for this new mix, and ask a few questions all in one reply.

Really dig the CIFOTM mix: is the chorus only a sync-ing of the 'new' acetate with the backing track? And did you do anything to extract the vocals?

Also really like the Surf's Up. The track just sounds so different without the very loud organ overdub...I once tried to do a matchup of a bootleg vocals only version with the backing track but never could make it work. So, great job.

Only thing that doesn't really seem to work for me is the 'Canvas the town' 'duet'. Would you happen to have a version lingering around without the double Carl vocal on 'Canvas the town'?

Much to enjoy on this mix. So, everybody who didn't download it yet - do!

Thanks,
Stijn
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx