gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:18:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Interview 1977 at Brother Studios  (Read 3181 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »

I posted this in the media section but it seems that many people don't go there, so here it is as well:

Dennis Wilson (Beach Boys) • Interview in Brother Studios • 1977 [Reelin' In The Years Archive]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4ALWODxbs

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 03:54:35 PM »

Amazing and revelatory!  Thanks for sharing.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 11:31:55 AM »

Thank you for sharing, that really made my day! He was such a great spirit during this era  Cool Guy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 05:47:58 PM »

Dennis at his best!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 05:55:34 PM »

It's really strange how Dennis almost looked like a completely different person with and without a beard. It's also a bit strange seeing what I perceive to be "young Dennis" with a rough voice.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 03:05:45 AM »

The man had such great charisma and charm - not to mention his talent. A real shame he lost control over his life and died the way he did. He drowned long before he fell in the water that last day.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 06:54:57 PM »

He's so relaxed and charming there.
I didn't know Dennis played guitar!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 02:50:01 AM »

He's so relaxed and charming there.
I didn't know Dennis played guitar!

I guess it was nothing more than a couple of chords here and there. There's a picture of him "playing" the guitar on the "Party!" bonus photos. Now, of course you don't need chords to play the Dobro buthanging around a lot of guitar players he probably had some help and figure out some notes to play. I don't know though if he played the Dobro on his actual recordings. It just as well may have just been laying around and he picked it up during the interview.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 11:41:52 PM »

IIRC, c-man and friends have determined that Dennis plays guitar on Slip on Through, Got to Know the Woman, and at least one of his solo songs from Bambu (I’m blanking on the title).
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 06:43:58 AM »

IIRC, c-man and friends have determined that Dennis plays guitar on Slip on Through, Got to Know the Woman, and at least one of his solo songs from Bambu (I’m blanking on the title).

The rubbery lead parts in the chorus of GTKTW and the Leslie'd guitar in Slip on Through were claimed in Desper's book, but with Ed Carter and Carl around and the former theoretically requiring some very tight punch ins, those might be a case of misremembering. I suppose the Slip on Through part is simple enough that he could've done it. Dennis probably played the Dobro parts and maybe the acoustic guitars on Wild Situation, though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:50:29 AM by WillJC » Logged
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 01:18:58 AM »

Why is it so hard to believe that Dennis could play the guitar? Isn't he playing acoustic on one of The Beatles covers on the Party album? I also thought he played acoustic on I'd Love Just Once to See You
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 03:47:59 AM »

Why is it so hard to believe that Dennis could play the guitar? Isn't he playing acoustic on one of The Beatles covers on the Party album? I also thought he played acoustic on I'd Love Just Once to See You
It's been said by friends that he could play rudimentary guitar, strum a few chords, but for recording professionally he usually had others available and would use them. He also didn't play guitar on any of those. He's just holding a guitar in one of the Party promo photos.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »

Just as a more general point, I have to say that “I can technically play that instrument a little bit” is a pretty low bar with which to decide to play on a recording when one has dozens of excellent musicians at one’s disposal. If I have Ed Carter, or any number of other session pros, sitting there or one phone call away, or Carl for that matter, I’ll have them play it. Dennis played little guitar for the same reason Brian played little guitar, and eventually little bass as well.

While I have no reason to think Dennis couldn’t have learned guitar as much as he wanted to, it also makes total sense that he never delved into it much. Writing and in the studio, he had a piano, and a myriad of musicians to work with. On stage, he was usually drumming, and also eventually had a bunch of musicians around there as well.

As with most of the guys in the band, I think Dennis had music running through him such that he probably could have learned and done well on a number of instruments. But he didn’t usually, for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, as folks like Al have pointed out, they were vocalists and writers more than instrumental musicians.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx