gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:12:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian now in the studio  (Read 8052 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 04:56:57 PM »

That bit of over-talked “I’d Go Anywhere” from the C50 documentary is really the only extant “outtake” as such.

As others have mentioned, “Waves of Love” wasn’t worked on. Brian wanted no part of it, and it was literally in the process of being released as a solo Al track during the reunion sessions. And “Don’t Fight the Sea” had been released in 2010. Both of these would have/could have been potentially good reunion album tracks, but Al had already released them.

Bruce supposedly re-jiggered “She Believes in Love Again”, with one story indicating he actually used some of the ’85 version as a basis (including his (Bruce’s) vocals), and Foskett re-sang the Carl lead parts. I honestly don’t think this would have ever made it onto an album. It kinda sounded like Bruce just used the paid-for studio time to mess around with something.

I strongly suspect that some of the Brian-Joe songs on “No Pier Pressure” could have and perhaps would have ended up on a second reunion album. But there were supposedly a number of songs worked on and in contention in 2012 for the reunion album, and I’m not sure any of *those* were used for “No Pier Pressure”, as in taking the “Beach Boys version” and taking off the BB contributions.

“Daybreak Over the Ocean” was used from Mike’s circa 2004 solo album material, and it sounds like they did a quick dub job where the reunion group (most prominently Al, but apparently including Brian as well) just sang the “bring back…” interludes. The rest of the song has the same Christian Love/Adrian Baker (or whoever) vocals sans any other Beach Boys. I’ve always thought they should have had Al sing the lead on Mike’s 2004 version of “Too Cruel” (the only Christian Love sings; not the later 2017 rereremake) if they were going to fly something in from that album. “Cool Head” would have been good too, but that also had already been released in 2006.

This is a one minute bootleg version with the talking EQd out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0xG1t7MUA

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 06:51:33 PM »

I strongly suspect that some of the Brian-Joe songs on “No Pier Pressure” could have and perhaps would have ended up on a second reunion album. But there were supposedly a number of songs worked on and in contention in 2012 for the reunion album, and I’m not sure any of *those* were used for “No Pier Pressure”, as in taking the “Beach Boys version” and taking off the BB contributions.

I seem to have a fair recollection that back in 2012 somebody - maybe Joe Thomas - was quoted as saying that when the Wilson/Thomas songs were being written, Brian was very clear about which songs would be for his solo self, and which would be for the Beach Boys. I guess this recollection is vague enough to be an impression I formed, but it was definitely based on something I read, somewhere.  Undecided
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2022, 06:50:38 AM »

I seem to have a fair recollection that back in 2012 somebody - maybe Joe Thomas - was quoted as saying that when the Wilson/Thomas songs were being written, Brian was very clear about which songs would be for his solo self, and which would be for the Beach Boys. I guess this recollection is vague enough to be an impression I formed, but it was definitely based on something I read, somewhere.  Undecided

Joe Thomas did mention in one of the only interviews he did back in 2012 that Brian would earmark songs they wrote together as "Beach Boys songs." But I think he was referencing their work together back in the 1996-97-98 time frame. While this was interesting and a bit poignant, I also think this was probably somewhat of a malleable concept. Really, he seemed to be pointing pretty specifically to the song "That's Why God Made the Radio." While I think a number of the compositions on the reunion album came from circa 96/97/98 Brian/Joe material, I'm not sure how much was always only earmarked for the BBs.

I think, certainly by the time of the post-reunion fallout in 2012, most or all bets were off and I would tend to think they wouldn't be so precious about still holding back material and not using it in order to save it for another BB project.

And here we are 10 years later with no new reunion recording, so I'd hope that any good material would get released either as archival (at this point) BB material, or as Brian solo material, or whatever format.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 12:11:28 PM »

That bit of over-talked “I’d Go Anywhere” from the C50 documentary is really the only extant “outtake” as such.

As others have mentioned, “Waves of Love” wasn’t worked on. Brian wanted no part of it, and it was literally in the process of being released as a solo Al track during the reunion sessions. And “Don’t Fight the Sea” had been released in 2010. Both of these would have/could have been potentially good reunion album tracks, but Al had already released them.

Bruce supposedly re-jiggered “She Believes in Love Again”, with one story indicating he actually used some of the ’85 version as a basis (including his (Bruce’s) vocals), and Foskett re-sang the Carl lead parts. I honestly don’t think this would have ever made it onto an album. It kinda sounded like Bruce just used the paid-for studio time to mess around with something.

“Daybreak Over the Ocean” was used from Mike’s circa 2004 solo album material, and it sounds like they did a quick dub job where the reunion group (most prominently Al, but apparently including Brian as well) just sang the “bring back…” interludes. The rest of the song has the same Christian Love/Adrian Baker (or whoever) vocals sans any other Beach Boys. I’ve always thought they should have had Al sing the lead on Mike’s 2004 version of “Too Cruel” (the only Christian Love sings; not the later 2017 rereremake) if they were going to fly something in from that album. “Cool Head” would have been good too, but that also had already been released in 2006.

I also remember reading an interview where Mike said he'd written a song with Dave Marks, but I can't remember if a title was said or not.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 10:07:46 PM »

I also remember reading an interview where Mike said he'd written a song with Dave Marks, but I can't remember if a title was said or not.

"Stowaway." I don't know if it was re-written with Mike or not, and I also don't know if it was either recorded or even seriously considered. If Al's stuff and Bruce's stuff weren't getting serious consideration, I find its hard to believe David Marks was getting a song on a new Beach Boys album.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »

I think it'd be really cool if Brian did a "Wilson Sings Nilsson" kind of album.   Cool Guy
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2023, 11:02:41 PM »

"Stowaway." I don't know if it was re-written with Mike or not, and I also don't know if it was either recorded or even seriously considered. If Al's stuff and Bruce's stuff weren't getting serious consideration, I find its hard to believe David Marks was getting a song on a new Beach Boys album.

Well at least Al’s stuff was unheard. Why on earth did Bruce want to dig up a song that had been on an album and keep his original vocals from 30 years prior?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2023, 10:58:38 AM »

Well at least Al’s stuff was unheard. Why on earth did Bruce want to dig up a song that had been on an album and keep his original vocals from 30 years prior?

Perhaps for the same reason he thought the world needed a disco-fied version of "Here Comes The Night".  🤷‍♂️  And back in the early 2000's he claimed of recording with Mike a "Britney Spears-type" cover of "Surfin'".  Which to this day has (thankfully) never been heard. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2023, 08:38:19 PM »

Perhaps for the same reason he thought the world needed a disco-fied version of "Here Comes The Night".  🤷‍♂️  And back in the early 2000's he claimed of recording with Mike a "Britney Spears-type" cover of "Surfin'".  Which to this day has (thankfully) never been heard. 

Britney Spears-style Surfin’ is not a good idea. But I’m one of the rare fans of the disco Here Comes The Night. Carl is great vocally on it. They just shouldn’t have used the LP version - they should have used the single version.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2023, 06:15:32 AM »

Well, I mean, they *did* use the single version of "Here Comes the Night", on the *single*, which is what would have received traction and had any chance of it being a "hit." The track wasn't hated (by those who hated it) just because it was on the album, or because it was 7 or 10 minutes long instead of 4 or 5. And most of the vocals on the track aren't even Beach Boys, with Carl, Mike, and Al only adding supposedly one layer of backing vocals on top of Becher and his guys.

I think most BB fans were at peace with the track decades ago. I don't think anyone is angry about it anymore. Which isn't to say that it would have or could have or should have been a hit. It wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't. It wasn't hit material on its face, regardless of the artist's name. It was clear, whomever was on the artist label, that HCTN was pandering to something.

The BBs could have had a sort of disco-adjacent success in that era, but it would have to be something more like McCartney's "Goodnight Tonight", where it's clearly a melodic McCartney track first, with flourishes/accents of disco.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »

I’m more annoyed by the idiotic monkey section and the strings . The rest of it is ok

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx