gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian now in the studio  (Read 8047 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2022, 08:00:13 AM »

Facebook photos of the big man shared by TomorrowLabs studios. Darian and Brian chatting by the keyboard. Band members on hand. Mertens conducting a small string section. All posted last night.

-----

(Edited and corrected original message.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 10:40:11 AM by Wirestone » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 03:48:15 PM »

Wow... really?  I don't have a facebook acct, but that's awesome and wonderful news.   At four score, he's very much alive and has still got the jive...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:35:14 PM by juggler » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »

I’m not FB friends with Darian, but I can see posts from a few days ago on his feed, but nothing about this. Did he post them to a different page? Is it possible to post the photos here?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 06:17:24 PM »

I’m not FB friends with Darian, but I can see posts from a few days ago on his feed, but nothing about this. Did he post them to a different page? Is it possible to post the photos here?

They were posted by Tomorrow Lab studios. Darian was only tagged in them. They are public, so I see no reason why they can't be shared.

Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »

They were posted by Tomorrow Lab studios. Darian was only tagged in them. They are public, so I see no reason why they can't be shared.

Thank you. TommorowLabs and Tommorowland pull up *very* different results.

Brian seems to have some kind of bandage around his right wrist.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 06:46:06 PM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 06:50:56 PM »

Thanks a lot Wirestone and Pixletwin!

Here is the link to the Facebook page, with more photos:

https://www.facebook.com/tomorrowlabs.studio
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 07:07:50 PM by Zenobi » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »

I love seeing this! What a nice way to end the day. Thanks for posting.  Smiley

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 10:39:44 AM »

My original post should be corrected now. Apologies for getting some of the details wrong -- I was running around yesterday and wanted to get it to everyone. Nice to see whatever is happening happening.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 05:31:47 PM »

Won - won - wonderful!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »

Any word, rumours or innuendo as to what they are working on.

Has Brian done much or any writing lately? To get photos like this suggests an album to me, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Maybe it's a Strings & Horns sequel to At My Piano . .

Equally, it could just be a one off track for someone else's project, a tribute album or the like.
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »

Any word, rumours or innuendo as to what they are working on.

Has Brian done much or any writing lately? To get photos like this suggests an album to me, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Maybe it's a Strings & Horns sequel to At My Piano . .

Equally, it could just be a one off track for someone else's project, a tribute album or the like.

True, but the slightly–hyperbolic wording of the post (“new hit record”) suggest something more than Brian and Matt recording barely–audible backing vocals for another artist.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 04:50:06 PM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 10:57:16 PM »

It's on Brian's facebook page, too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:01:04 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 12:20:30 PM »

More members of Brian's band are tagged on the post. Darian is at the keyboard, percussionist Jim Laspesa is there. I'd bet there's some sort of BW project going on. Kind of doubt it would be an album, but who knows?
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »

An album of any kind would be absolutely amazing! I hope, whatever it is, that folks are supportive!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »

More members of Brian's band are tagged on the post. Darian is at the keyboard, percussionist Jim Laspesa is there. I'd bet there's some sort of BW project going on. Kind of doubt it would be an album, but who knows?

Might be bringing back his annual Christmas song?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »

Awesome that Brian is back in the studio. I wasn't sure he would go back and do anymore recording and it's great to know he is still going out and doing his thing. I truly hope he is enjoying whatever work he is doing in the studio.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »

An album of any kind would be absolutely amazing! I hope, whatever it is, that folks are supportive!

Well, I certainly really hope his vocals are much improved on any new tracks. Based on Right Where I Belong from the LPR album and his most recent tour, I’m about ready to consider it game over for BW and time to retire.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 04:51:38 PM »

Well, I certainly really hope his vocals are much improved on any new tracks. Based on Right Where I Belong from the LPR album and his most recent tour, I’m about ready to consider it game over for BW and time to retire.

Well the guy is the other side of 80. Most of his contemporaries are 6 foot under, so from that perspective, he's doing okay.

I've always thought of Brian as a songwriter/producer first, singer/musician second.

I think even in the early days this can be seen with Brian's 'side projects' and contentment to leave the band in 1964.

If Brian wrote the songs and his current band performs them, that's about as good as it gets at this point, so I guess we kind of agree.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 08:52:00 PM »

I wish, wish, wish Brian would record “ I’d Go Anywhere”. A real gem
that didn’t make the Radio album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0xG1t7MUA

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 06:48:09 AM »

I wish, wish, wish Brian would record “ I’d Go Anywhere”. A real gem
that didn’t make the Radio album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0xG1t7MUA

Even with the reunion face-planting in late 2012, they should have taken all of the finished songs (and finished off the near-finished ones) from the TWGMTR sessions and put out a "Deluxe" edition of that album. If the BBs are really singing on them, those are the versions I'd like to hear, and released as "Beach Boys" tracks. I wouldn't mind just Brian and Al or whomever finishing them off and still releasing them as "Beach Boys" tracks.

Obviously, I'd like to hear the tracks in any form including solo if that's the only way to hear them.

It will be interesting to see how this new studio works involves Brian. I still sense he may well not really be able to do much vocal work, so I wonder if there's more instrumental stuff going on, or if they're working with older vocal tracks or something.

Really, if Brian is up for more writing, he should just bring Al in to sing the stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »

Has anyone able to get anything close to a definitive list of unreleased material from the Radio sessions?

Aside from I'd Go Anywhere, I recall mention of a remake of She Believes in Love Again, and didn't Al try to get Waves of Love included?
It seems that there was a little bit of crossover between material considered for Radio that was specifically recorded for Radio, and material that was recorded for other projects and subsequently became or almost became part of Radio...Is it fair to say that Daybreak Over The Ocean is as much a part of the Radio sessions, as such, as Waves of Love?
Was Don't Fight The Sea ever considered?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »

Well the guy is the other side of 80. Most of his contemporaries are 6 foot under, so from that perspective, he's doing okay.

I've always thought of Brian as a songwriter/producer first, singer/musician second.

I think even in the early days this can be seen with Brian's 'side projects' and contentment to leave the band in 1964.

If Brian wrote the songs and his current band performs them, that's about as good as it gets at this point, so I guess we kind of agree.

I feel like I might be in the minority here, but I think once Brian hits those higher notes, he sounds great.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 11:13:07 AM »

Has anyone able to get anything close to a definitive list of unreleased material from the Radio sessions?

Aside from I'd Go Anywhere, I recall mention of a remake of She Believes in Love Again, and didn't Al try to get Waves of Love included?
It seems that there was a little bit of crossover between material considered for Radio that was specifically recorded for Radio, and material that was recorded for other projects and subsequently became or almost became part of Radio...Is it fair to say that Daybreak Over The Ocean is as much a part of the Radio sessions, as such, as Waves of Love?

To my ears, it has always sounded like "Daybreak Over The Ocean" was the same version from one of the Mike bootlegs, with Al's vocals dubbed in. I've seen it reported that Brian is on there, also, but I can't hear him if he is.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 11:20:14 AM »

We have to differ between songs that were considered and songs that were actually worked on by the Beach Boys (for example I am not sure if "I'd go anywhere" features any Beach Boys at all). IIRC Al did offer "Waves of Love" but Brian wasn't interested. The difference between "Waves of Love"'s and "Daybreak"'s respective status is that the latter was actually worked on (even if it was just for overdubs) - and released for that matter.
Bruce reportedly worked on a new "She believes in Love again" although I don't know if anything was recorded.
Mike mentioned early on that he was writing lyrics to one of David's songs (did anything ever come out of that?).
"Don't fight the Sea" was already released before as a Al solo single, I believe. But they shot the music video during the TWGMTR sessions.

Also let's remember that Brian and Joe Thomas got the deal for a new album from Capitol after playing them demos of their songs. So they - Capitol that is - probably expected those songs to be recorded and not a different project.

As we all know, Brian was excited to have his band again and started writing songs for a new album. The intro to "Our special Love" was written for a new Beach Boys song, according to Ray Lawlor. I could imagine other parts on "No peer pressure" were as well. "The right Time" sounds like it could've been a Beach Boys tune imo. But I don't have any insight into the writing history of those songs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 12:56:39 PM »

That bit of over-talked “I’d Go Anywhere” from the C50 documentary is really the only extant “outtake” as such.

As others have mentioned, “Waves of Love” wasn’t worked on. Brian wanted no part of it, and it was literally in the process of being released as a solo Al track during the reunion sessions. And “Don’t Fight the Sea” had been released in 2010. Both of these would have/could have been potentially good reunion album tracks, but Al had already released them.

Bruce supposedly re-jiggered “She Believes in Love Again”, with one story indicating he actually used some of the ’85 version as a basis (including his (Bruce’s) vocals), and Foskett re-sang the Carl lead parts. I honestly don’t think this would have ever made it onto an album. It kinda sounded like Bruce just used the paid-for studio time to mess around with something.

I strongly suspect that some of the Brian-Joe songs on “No Pier Pressure” could have and perhaps would have ended up on a second reunion album. But there were supposedly a number of songs worked on and in contention in 2012 for the reunion album, and I’m not sure any of *those* were used for “No Pier Pressure”, as in taking the “Beach Boys version” and taking off the BB contributions.

“Daybreak Over the Ocean” was used from Mike’s circa 2004 solo album material, and it sounds like they did a quick dub job where the reunion group (most prominently Al, but apparently including Brian as well) just sang the “bring back…” interludes. The rest of the song has the same Christian Love/Adrian Baker (or whoever) vocals sans any other Beach Boys. I’ve always thought they should have had Al sing the lead on Mike’s 2004 version of “Too Cruel” (the only Christian Love sings; not the later 2017 rereremake) if they were going to fly something in from that album. “Cool Head” would have been good too, but that also had already been released in 2006.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx