gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:21:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1971 on my website  (Read 2849 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »

So at my BeachBoys gigs website-I have completed 1971 (though I update if I find a photo or new info) and it can be viewed here if you are so inclined: https://www.beachboysgigs.com/1971-2/
Again-the site is kind of a digital update/addendum to the Beach Boys In Concert book-and I try to feature visuals (photos, flyers, etc) with the show listings, as well as reviews, etc.  It would be nice to have photos of every show-but I have featured whatever I could find that matched a specific show.  You can of course view 1962-1970 year by year as well.  And of course there is a blog (Listed as Additions from the Home Page) with updates to the physical book listings (I have that written up to 1972 only) showing shows that you have to pencil in to the original 2013 book
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 04:36:58 AM »

Great! Those shows in the latter part of the year must've been something to experience. Although so many people were calling for the "oldies".

Just for fun I just did a search for the BBs at the Lagoon, because you've mentioned that you never saw a picture of them performing. To no one's surprise I also didn't find anything. But this showed up, allegedly it's from 1965:

Source: https://www.pinterest.de/pin/lagoon-1965--403846291568533837/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 05:14:57 AM »

Yeah it’s crazy-they played so many times….and you know a lot of girls brought those little brownie instamatic cameras but nothing has ever appeared on the web…cool photo though
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:46:38 AM »

Great! Those shows in the latter part of the year must've been something to experience. Although so many people were calling for the "oldies".

Just for fun I just did a search for the BBs at the Lagoon, because you've mentioned that you never saw a picture of them performing. To no one's surprise I also didn't find anything. But this showed up, allegedly it's from 1965:

Source: https://www.pinterest.de/pin/lagoon-1965--403846291568533837/

jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 08:26:31 AM »

Thank you for putting in so much leg work to ensure The Beach Boys’ gigs have an extensive shelf life and are accessible online, Ian. Is there any way to increase the resolution of the photos, if only slightly? I know you don’t want readers to steal them but would like to see a little more detail if possible without having to seek a magnifying glass lol.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 08:33:37 AM by jeremylr » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 11:25:27 AM »

Yeah it’s crazy-they played so many times….and you know a lot of girls brought those little brownie instamatic cameras but nothing has ever appeared on the web…cool photo though

I guess there are a couple of possible sources for pictures on these links, but maybe you already know them:

Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Lagoon’s bygone era of incredible concerts
https://www.deseret.com/2018/5/29/20645883/jimi-hendrix-janis-joplin-and-lagoon-s-bygone-era-of-incredible-concerts

Utah Communication History
https://utahcommhistory.com/2010/05/05/summer-of-%E2%80%9968-janis-joplin-jimi-hendrix-beach-boys-concerts-at-lagoon-amusement-park/

The following at least has an advertisement for the show in 1970:

Chronological List Of Performers At Lagoon
https://lagoonhistory.com/project/attractions/patio-gardens/chronological-list-of-performers-at-lagoon/

Advertisement: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MdNOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=f0oDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1494%2C561667
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:15:36 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »

Well…the site I have is limited in size of images -meaning files have to be small and fit a certain size. As far as photos-yeah no Lagoon photos but plenty of ads. I have one photo of them getting mobbed outside prior to a show there but no photos onstage.  However I did find a lot of photos over the years of various shows so it may turn up someday.  The trick is that someone who has photos has to feel some incentive to take some old photo from their scrapbook or attic and digitize it and put on the internet. Beach Boy photos don’t have the monetary cache of Beatles photos so not much incentive there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 05:58:01 AM »

Thanks for the link; I was not familiar with your site until now.  Have you considered adding setlist information to your site?  Doesn't seem like anyone has kept up with it since the days of Eric Aniversario's website.  Would be nice to have all of that information in one place.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 02:18:29 PM »

I have plenty of setlists and maybe I should list a representative one for each tour-but usually (especially in the 1960s) they did not vary much at all from show to show
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

I've clicked through some of the late 60s sections once again. It's interesting to note that during times they were considered a thing of the past, people actually praised them highly in concert reviews. Reading those articles you wouldn't believe in how much trouble the group was.

BTW Ian, I see comments on youtube from time to time of people mentioning they were at a show in the 60s etc. Maybe they have pictures they would like to share.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 07:20:12 PM »

Well …as you can see I have posted more ads, pictures than were ever available before-but I am always interested in more
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 02:38:51 AM »

Well …as you can see I have posted more ads, pictures than were ever available before-but I am always interested in more

If it's ok with you, next time I see such a comment I could point that person to your website and ask if they would like to share their pictures if they have any.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 07:57:45 AM »

Sounds good
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 02:17:16 AM »

This is a fascinating read. It gives a great sense of how much this era for the band, which we look back on as something of a golden age artistically, was a really difficult struggle for them to live through.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 09:21:15 AM »

*sigh*

“ But it wasn’t anything from their newer albums that crazed the throng.  You guessed it, ‘Little Deuce Coupe’ and ‘I Get Around’ blew the place down…Why did the Beach Boys have to force their current styles on us, when we came to hear ‘Surfer Girl’?”

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 09:36:38 AM »

So at my BeachBoys gigs website-I have completed 1971 (though I update if I find a photo or new info) and it can be viewed here if you are so inclined: https://www.beachboysgigs.com/1971-2/
Again-the site is kind of a digital update/addendum to the Beach Boys In Concert book-and I try to feature visuals (photos, flyers, etc) with the show listings, as well as reviews, etc.  It would be nice to have photos of every show-but I have featured whatever I could find that matched a specific show.  You can of course view 1962-1970 year by year as well.  And of course there is a blog (Listed as Additions from the Home Page) with updates to the physical book listings (I have that written up to 1972 only) showing shows that you have to pencil in to the original 2013 book

Ian, I'm belatedly checking out the entire site and just want to thank you for the work you put into this. It's incredibly informative and gives so much context to what was going on with the group on a granular level.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2022, 06:35:10 PM »

Thanks!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx