gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:02:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On Sailor box set  (Read 52638 times)
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2022, 06:31:44 AM »

Does anyone know if the booklet/liner notes differ for the CD vs vinyl release? It looks like there is a difference in number of pages. Also, does anyone know if there was a difference between the Feel Flows CD/vinyl books?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »

Does anyone know if the booklet/liner notes differ for the CD vs vinyl release? It looks like there is a difference in number of pages. Also, does anyone know if there was a difference between the Feel Flows CD/vinyl books?

The 2 CD version had a short text by Howie inside the gatefold. I don't know about the multi CD set but would guess that it had the same notes as the vinyl. Probably the new set will be similar built.

I can't wait for the people to (re-)discover what a great song "The Trader" is! Those lyrics and that melody  Love

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2022, 03:13:19 AM »

Dutch retailer Bol.com also changed the date to 9 December...

I wonder if it will be on Spotify tomorrow?

Edit: I guess it will be, because it is on iTunes if you are in the Australia/NZ region.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:47:13 AM by SonicVolcano » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2022, 08:12:27 AM »

Yep, it's on Spotify in Australia.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2022, 09:10:27 AM »

I'm not sure if this is news to anyone here or not, but Spark In The Dark turns out to have nothing to do with Funky Pretty -- it's completely instrumental and has part of the melody of Chain Reaction Of Love.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »

My set has shipped.  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »

Folks who like to pick out and hear Brian re-using riffs and chord patterns (or the genesis of them, one can never know) are going to really dig some of the tracks on this set. Multiple call-backs (or I guess call-forwards?) to Brian's 80s and 90s solo stuff.

Also, I'll be fascinated to hear if the improved fidelity of the Little Child/Daddy Dear tape will quell or spur more Al vs. Brian debates.

I noticed elsewhere someone said that tape sounds the same on this set as the circulating versions, and that's not the case. It sounds noticeably better here. It's still a "home recording", so it's not like an A+ studio recording. But it's much clearer. Recall that the first time any of this tape was heard was during that A&E Biography back in from the late 90s. So no, I don't think they just pulled this "from YouTube" or whatever like someone elsewhere said.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:57:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2022, 10:49:33 AM »

In the US and just received confirmation from Amazon that mine  has shipped and will be delivered tomorrow! Woohoo
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »

Pa Let Her Go Out has the verse from Lazy Lizzie... 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »

Yep, it's on Spotify in Australia.

Same in NZ. Nice to hear Mike crediting Billy for the lead in the 1975 live ‘Sail On Sailor’. 👏👏👏
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2022, 12:08:44 PM »

Jumping Jack Flash…..WHOA! 👍
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2022, 12:11:15 PM »

Amazon Germany has a release date of Dec. 2nd

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »

Listening on Amazon. OMfG

No further text needed.

This.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2022, 03:40:30 PM »

Oh Good GOD. Marcella intsrumental. Yowza!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »

Steamboat instrumental. Tears. Tears.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2022, 03:49:31 PM »

HYPNOTIZE ME is in there. HOLY FFFFFFF!!!!!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »

Sail on sailor wow.

I love you Brian

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »

Daddy Dear- Vocals Brian Wilson....my ears don't lie..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »

Oh my, so many highlights for me here including Gimme Some Lovin, Spark In the Dark, Body Talk, Rooftop Harry and the SOS demo just to name a few.  It's clear Brian was still productive during this period.  My only qualm is some of the edited down tracks like Out In the Country (Version 2) which I know exists in a 5+ minute version.  Presumably some tracks like this are shorter due to the space limitations of CD's.  I always enjoy hearing full, extended versions of songs.  VERY curious to hear what's lurking in the vaults for 1973-1975.  All things considered, major thanks to all involved in getting this set out and cheers to more like it in the near future perhaps.   Wink  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:59:34 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2022, 09:10:04 PM »

Just got it from ITunes. An hour early (it’s 11 pm, 1 Dec)
Giving at least part of it a listen tonight. Sounds great so far.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2022, 12:03:43 AM »

Rooftop Harry sounds like Pacific Coast Highway …and the end is VERY similar (melodically) to one of my recent songs…I swear I didn’t hear this before…promise!

The SOS demo …Brian did ALL the cocaine lol …and man it sounds like Live let Live in this version

Brian on Daddy Dear

And wow that WAS Spark in the Dark I heard somehow years ago via a dearly departed friend.

Body Talk is awesome

The biggest revelatory moment was realizing how much of Holland had Brian on backups. I think Sail On Sailor, Steamboat and Leaving This Town are the only ones he’s not present on.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2022, 12:16:49 AM »

The digital release of the 2-disc set (Deluxe) has the wrong track for "Marcella (Live At Carnegie Hall)". I've checked this on Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz and YouTube: https://youtu.be/g0fa7Izm8Jk

The 6-disc set (Super Deluxe) has the correct track: https://youtu.be/roQRxEcbWys

Also, for some reason the Super Deluxe set is missing from Deezer.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2022, 03:34:43 AM »

Hard Time is such a banger. Blondie and Ricky really added a lot of 'oomph' to their sound.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »

Pretty huge error, but "Marcella - Live At Carnegie Hall" is actually a repeat of You Need A Mess of Help. How did this not get quality checked? Also saw a typo somwhere.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2022, 04:56:50 AM »

The biggest revelatory moment was realizing how much of Holland had Brian on backups. I think Sail On Sailor, Steamboat and Leaving This Town are the only ones he’s not present on.

He's singing on Funky Pretty, Mt Vernon, first half of The Trader (his vocal arrangement) and the beginning of California (in the "spend" as well as his lead), but none of the other songs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:57:25 AM by WillJC » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx