gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:25:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On Sailor box set  (Read 52131 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2022, 04:19:32 AM »

To answer the topic brought up above, yes, the Analogue Productions releases (vinyl and CD/SACD hybrid) are legit, licensed releases. I'm not sure what would possibly make anyone think they're not. They were/are sold through legitimate retailers, and have known names that remastered them.

They weren't discussed a ton here, but I think that was just a confluence of a bunch of things (the 2012 reissues being relatively recent at the time, not a super huge interest here in high-rez, and the incomplete nature of both reissue campaigns).

The current mode of running through the catalog and getting the albums back out there in physical form and also presenting a ton of outtakes (e.g. Feel Flows and Sail on Sailor) is ideal, and I certainly hope we continue to see the 70s covered in one form or another.
I bought all of he analogue production masters as high res downloads. They are easily the best editions of those albums. I don’t expect them to be bettered. Absolutely vital purchases.

I think it was also Analogue Productions that handled the 200g vinyl release of Holland that I also own.  That sucker's a pretty thick piece of wax; it could take a bullet and still probably play fine.  🤣

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »

To answer the topic brought up above, yes, the Analogue Productions releases (vinyl and CD/SACD hybrid) are legit, licensed releases. I'm not sure what would possibly make anyone think they're not. They were/are sold through legitimate retailers, and have known names that remastered them.

They weren't discussed a ton here, but I think that was just a confluence of a bunch of things (the 2012 reissues being relatively recent at the time, not a super huge interest here in high-rez, and the incomplete nature of both reissue campaigns).

The current mode of running through the catalog and getting the albums back out there in physical form and also presenting a ton of outtakes (e.g. Feel Flows and Sail on Sailor) is ideal, and I certainly hope we continue to see the 70s covered in one form or another.
I bought all of he analogue production masters as high res downloads. They are easily the best editions of those albums. I don’t expect them to be bettered. Absolutely vital purchases.

I think it was also Analogue Productions that handled the 200g vinyl release of Holland that I also own.  That sucker's a pretty thick piece of wax; it could take a bullet and still probably play fine.  🤣

And even better; although mentioned nowhere on either the 2LP vinyl release or the SACD, both contain We Got Love as a bonus cut. (granted, they do mention it on their website).

This version of WGL is a longer edit compared to the original version that only made it on testpressings of the first version of Holland, and a few hundred German pressings (when someone at WEA accidenally accidentally took the wrong master to press a second run of the original pressing (probably March 1973). And this longer edit is the same as the one on the so-called Klay-tapes (Brother 3CD set).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »

For anybody who hasn't pre-ordered, Import CDs has reduced the box set to $112.99, and they charge just $2.99 to ship within the US. You won't receive it on the day of release, but they're a good option for anybody willing to wait a few days to save a few $$$. They have been in business for a long time and are reliable... I've ordered from them previously, including "Feel Flows".

https://www.importcds.com/beach-boys-sail-on-sailor-super-deluxe-6cd/602445859146
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:20 AM »

For anybody who hasn't pre-ordered, Import CDs has reduced the box set to $112.99, and they charge just $2.99 to ship within the US. You won't receive it on the day of release, but they're a good option for anybody willing to wait a few days to save a few $$$. They have been in business for a long time and are reliable... I've ordered from them previously, including "Feel Flows".

https://www.importcds.com/beach-boys-sail-on-sailor-super-deluxe-6cd/602445859146

The retail price has been lowered here also, in Holland, that is (how apt, Holland).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2022, 05:09:09 PM »

So, I’d like all of the unreleased stuff, acapellas, backing tracks, etc. but I do not own a record player. I’d like a CD so I can dump it into iTunes to put it on my phone. What are my options?

Can anyone recommend great record players too?

I seem to recall with Feels Flows I didn’t have this problem. I don’t want to miss out on unreleased stuff. And I’d like the booklet thing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2022, 07:58:30 AM »

So, I’d like all of the unreleased stuff, acapellas, backing tracks, etc. but I do not own a record player. I’d like a CD so I can dump it into iTunes to put it on my phone. What are my options?

I seem to recall with Feels Flows I didn’t have this problem. I don’t want to miss out on unreleased stuff. And I’d like the booklet thing.

It's coming out on CD:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »

Just came across this -

Japanese edition with bonus track

Seems a little odd - I sniff a little marketing sneakery going on here. I vague recall a slightly similar deception being carried out with the Feel Flows box Japanese release, but I do know that the Japanese record buying public have a certain taste for bonus tracks.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/beach-boys-sail-on-sailor-1972-japanese/907285-01/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2022, 11:41:26 AM »

Carry Me Home

https://youtu.be/kkF3iby9zls
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2022, 04:07:01 PM »

Thoughts?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »

Huge improvement over the bootleg for sure!   Bow
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2022, 09:31:46 PM »

Sounds good to me. Of course we know certain people are gonna hate it just because, but IMHO it’s just fine …

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2022, 03:45:34 AM »

Big improvement over the booted version.  Sounds great.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2022, 07:09:47 AM »

Love it. I even got a bit verklempted.  Cry
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2022, 07:27:34 AM »

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/beach-boys-rarity-carry-me-home-previews-sail-on-sailor/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »

What a beautiful recording!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2022, 01:36:15 PM »

Am I right in thinking reverb has been added in parts?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2022, 04:27:43 AM »

For some reason there's not a lot going on here about "Carry me home" so I would just like to express again how much I appreciate this "new" version. Much more than I ever liked listening to the bootlegged version (for obvious reasons). Listening to this release blew my mind. Blondie and Dennis sharing the lead is very effective and it shoows (as does the In Concert album) how well Blondie's voice fit in with the Beach Boys blend. Man, if only Blondie and Ricky would've stayed with the band.
Thanks Alan, Mark, Howie, Beach Boys and everyone else who made sure we can enjoy this beautiful recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2022, 07:35:25 AM »

For some reason there's not a lot going on here about "Carry me home" so I would just like to express again how much I appreciate this "new" version. Much more than I ever liked listening to the bootlegged version (for obvious reasons). Listening to this release blew my mind. Blondie and Dennis sharing the lead is very effective and it shoows (as does the In Concert album) how well Blondie's voice fit in with the Beach Boys blend. Man, if only Blondie and Ricky would've stayed with the band.
Thanks Alan, Mark, Howie, Beach Boys and everyone else who made sure we can enjoy this beautiful recording.

Yea, I agree completely. Some songs do okay (some songs maybe even benefit, in a strange way) from a little hiss, but this is not one of them. I've always had a sense that it was a great song, but I've never really wanted to listen to it until now. The sound of it in this version is just absolutely sublime.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »

‘It’s Eerie Listening Back‘: Beach Boys Finally Release Dennis Wilson Rarity ’Carry Me Home’

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-release-dennis-wilson-rarity-carry-me-home-1234616369/?

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2022, 04:30:15 AM »

It's so nice to finally have an official release of this underrated song.  This earthy, folky track hints at what could have been if the Beach Boys had continued to explore this path during that period of the band instead of careening straight back into caricatures of themselves with 15 Big Ones.  Oh well. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

***** 5 Stars from SHINDIG!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »

Awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58:40 PM »

I refer you to the expert.
http://www.turntabletreasures.com
He's honest and will give you the answers you seek.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2022, 09:57:23 PM »

***** 5 Stars from RECORD COLLECTOR.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:58:04 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »

Hell yeah! I’m excited af to hear this!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx