gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:39:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PET SQUARES #12: Part 1 of a two-hour deep dive into TODAY!  (Read 905 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »

Hi all! The new PET SQUARES: A GEEK'S GUIDE TO THE BEACH BOYS is up. PET SQUARES #12 is part one of a two hour deep dive into the BEACH BOYS TODAY! album. A lot here to digest, and we give it full weight.

Let me know what you think! And thanks to all that have become, or will become, contributors or patrons to the channel (see youTube first comment for more info). It has really enabled these shows to get up more quickly.

Here it 'tis: https://youtu.be/kd2lF77t8oo
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 02:49:55 AM »

So much to watch, so little time. Thanks for sharing this! What can you say about "Today"? That's an album to look deep into.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »

Adam--excellent work! These just keep getting better and better.

Curious if you can pinpoint WHEN these songs were written relative to one another and present that in a summary kind of way somewhere in part two, as I think there's an evolutionary step toward PET SOUNDS in the songs written closer to the release of TODAY. Some of that is sort of set aside for SUMMER DAYS as Brian works his way through and beyond his "Spector phase" and into his own unique production sounds, so I tend to think it's important to pinpoint the thread between the more introspective tracks in TODAY and how they are a key flowthrough point to PET SOUNDS. Just a thought--and, of course, if you've already wrapped up Part 2 and what's being suggested here is just not possible, so be it. But I think that would great to add in, and it makes sense to be in Part 2, because it covers the "introspective" side of TODAY...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 04:39:23 AM »

Curious if you can pinpoint WHEN these songs were written relative to one another and present that in a summary kind of way somewhere in part two, as I think there's an evolutionary step toward PET SOUNDS in the songs written closer to the release of TODAY. Some of that is sort of set aside for SUMMER DAYS as Brian works his way through and beyond his "Spector phase" and into his own unique production sounds, so I tend to think it's important to pinpoint the thread between the more introspective tracks in TODAY and how they are a key flowthrough point to PET SOUNDS. Just a thought--and, of course, if you've already wrapped up Part 2 and what's being suggested here is just not possible, so be it. But I think that would great to add in, and it makes sense to be in Part 2, because it covers the "introspective" side of TODAY...

Part 2's already filmed actually, I just haven't edited it yet. It should turn up later this week.

It's funny you mention this because I found myself being more intrigued by the lyrical thrust of TODAY than the music, which is odd given that it's certainly secondary to what Brian did musically, but maybe it's just as well since the music's been so thoroughly analyzed elsewhere. But I find the timeline interesting there too because you can see the evolution of Brian's and Marilyn's relationship through when the songs start to appear (e.g. "Don't Hurt My Sister" is written by mid 1964). Nearly all the songs relate directly either to Brian's road pressure or Brian's romantic confusion.

I talk about this in part two but there's a real tragedy running through this album as you hear Brian trying to negotiate the leap to emotionally mature adulthood...and he's trying VERY HARD and with an admirable sense of self-awareness. But as we know, he doesn't really make it. It's like watching a movie where you hope there's going to be a happy ending but you know there won't be.

I'm of course leaving out the redemption saga of LOVE AND MERCY but even if we accept that as a happy ending, it comes much, much later in the game. It's still tragic.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 04:39:51 AM »

Part 2's already filmed actually, I just haven't edited it yet. It should turn up later this week. I do discuss this a little, but probably not as much as I should have.

It's funny you mention this because I found myself being more intrigued by the lyrical thrust of TODAY than the music, which is odd given that it's certainly secondary to what Brian did musically, but maybe it's just as well since the music's been so thoroughly analyzed elsewhere. But I find the timeline interesting there too because you can see the evolution of Brian's and Marilyn's relationship through when the songs start to appear (e.g. "Don't Hurt My Sister" is written by mid 1964). Nearly all the songs relate directly either to Brian's road pressure or Brian's romantic confusion.

I talk about this in part two but there's a real tragedy running through this album as you hear Brian trying to negotiate the leap to emotionally mature adulthood...and he's trying VERY HARD and with an admirable sense of self-awareness. But as we know, he doesn't really make it. It's like watching a movie where you hope there's going to be a happy ending but you know there won't be.

I'm of course leaving out the redemption saga of LOVE AND MERCY but even if we accept that as a happy ending, it comes much, much later in the game. It's still tragic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:41:48 AM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx