gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jerry Weiss's retirement from touring with Brian  (Read 2292 times)
Disney1guy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2022, 06:56:29 AM »

I just learned from David Leaf's updated book that Jerry Weiss who has been a long time friend and supporter on Brian's tours retired after 2021's fall dates.  I have to wonder; was his absence from the Chicago tour dates maybe partly responsible for Brian's "depressed" behaviour?  David mentions how very important it is to Brian to have "emotional security" to help him stay motivated. 
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »

It's certainly possible that Jerry's absence didn't help the situation this summer.  But Brian is 80 now, and like the song says, "I know he's had his ups and downs."  As someone who observed him live this summer as well as a couple times in 2019, my hunch is that Brian's late-career touring act likely would have been winding down about now regardless of touring personnel or any other factor.  And that's okay.  The man has certainly given us all enough.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:30:59 AM »

The person looking after Brian on the road has varied. Jerry did it, but Jeff Foskett had the role for much of the time he was with the band, I believe. Lawlor might have pitched in for a tour too, although I don’t recall.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:32:37 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 06:46:42 AM »

I just learned from David Leaf's updated book that Jerry Weiss who has been a long time friend and supporter on Brian's tours retired after 2021's fall dates.  I have to wonder; was his absence from the Chicago tour dates maybe partly responsible for Brian's "depressed" behaviour?

Unlikely.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 04:53:19 AM »

I think more likely what affected Brian this year was just...the tour itself. It's just *not* what he's used to. So many dates, large venues, outdoor venues...last year he was great, almost like 2001 all over again. But this year, yeah, he was just not comfy.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 12:34:27 PM »

I'm sure he'll be back to his normal routine next year - a run of medium sized theater dates. Brian Wilson as an opening act was a mistake. He deserves a full show all to himself.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 05:55:43 AM »

I'm sure he'll be back to his normal routine next year - a run of medium sized theater dates. Brian Wilson as an opening act was a mistake. He deserves a full show all to himself.

He has been an opening act before for both Paul Simon and Jeff Beck.  And as maligned as the latter tour eventually became, it was pretty cool to see both bands up onstage performing "Surf's Up" amongst other things together. 

And sadly it would not be surprising if Brian doesn't continue to tour any further.  I think both his mental and physical health issues are truly catching up with him at his age. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »

I hope Brian is and continues to feel good, and do whatever he can and wants.

But I’m perplexed as to how the nature of that Chicago tour would cause the challenges that Brian clearly had. The shows were *shorter* than usual, and the venues were pretty similar to venues Brian has played in the past, and Brian has done joint tours before.

Now, it being a Chicago co-headlining tour is probably a very good explanation for why they finished out the tour and didn’t cancel dates; as difficult as it is to cancel shows/a tour, it becomes even more complicated with a double billing like that.

But I don’t think there’s any evidence that the shape Brian was in on these dates had anything to do with the *nature* of the Chicago tour. Again, if anything, those shows were a lighter load on Brian than most past tours considering the shows were shorter and they still had Darian, Matt, Al, and Blondie all taking leads (and not even counting the extra leads they took on during shows where Brian would just stop singing).

I don’t think it’s good to extensively dwell on things, especially with little concrete info to work off of beyond observation, but I also think we need to be realistic. Setting aside the *cause*, I think it’s very clear Brian was in very rough shape on this last tour, and it kind of makes me a little uncomfortable when fans kind of just put on blinders to this and act like it’s likely he’ll be back to like even 2015 touring shape any time soon, if ever. I’m not saying anyone can’t be as optimistic as they want, even if it strains plausibility. But I think the most realistic possibilities that are probably worth discussing at this stage, outside of full retirement with a hope that Brian’s still happy relaxing and doing whatever, is that *maybe* Brian could bounce back to like 2019-2021 levels of performance quality. 

I don’t know if everybody here saw Brian’s “Happy Birthday” wishes for Al posted a few weeks ago on Al’s b-day video on YouTube. Great to see Brian hopefully doing well. But he’s definitely having problems speaking (or I suppose I should say enunciating) let alone singing. I don’t know any details on this specifically, so I don’t know if it’s a dental issue, or some other medical-type issues, or just age really catching up, etc. But I think his speech on that video tells us that Brian is hopefully relaxing and taking it easy at home, and also tells us that he’d probably still having the same singing challenges that he had on that Chicago tour. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »

There’s definitely something up, because the enunciation issue is not new… it’s been there (and gotten worse) since about 2016 or so, like he has to force the sound to come out. It’s only relatively recently that it’s been affecting his speech to this extent. Basically when his mobility started decreasing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx