gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:45:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: “Rachel and the Revolvers” Question  (Read 1690 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »

These two notices were published in the September 1, 1962 and October 5, 1962 issues of the “Los Angeles Evening Citizens News” (the former included Al).

I’m familiar with the “Rachel and the Revolvers” recordings but am not sure the purpose of these notices. Does anyone know? 

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 05:56:11 PM »

Yeah, for a lot of legal proceedings, there is a requirement of providing notice, which meant something in the old days but seems kind of silly now, because there's no way you can realistically give the entire relevant population notice that you are doing something.  Things like name changes, certain business deals, etc, have to be put out there, with the idea that, if you're changing your name to avoid paying a debt or something, you won't get away with it because your lender will see it.  Likewise, if you are starting a business entity of some sort, in theory it behooves the public to know that somebody is running a business out of a certain address and that the business is comprised of specific people, again, so you can't form a company to, say, hide assets.

But like I said, it's not realistic to think that there's a way to communicate this to everybody who might need to know, so the requirement is basically that you publish it "somewhere" - nowadays there's usually a regional legal newsletter that goes out with all this stuff way in back, just to satisfy this requirement of "notice."

So in this case, Brian and Gary and Al set up a business as "Rachel and the Revolvers" and there's probably a legal requirement that to do so, they had to publish their names and addresses.
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »

Joshilyn - thank you for your response. I LOVE your fascinating videos - please keep making them!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »

And for those who haven't, check out Stephen McParland's "The Wilson Tapes" books covering Gary Usher's work with Brian in 1986/87 to see how, 25 years later, Al Jardine hilariously still held a grudge about this "Rachel and the Revolvers" project, a grudge specifically against Usher. It's true Spinal Tap stuff. Like, the dialogue Usher recounts between he and Al in 1986 sounds like it could be a "Spinal Tap" outtake.

I don't mind razzing Al about this knowing that in this time frame he seemed to be sometimes kind of pissed off and contrarian, whereas in the last decade or two, he has chilled out and relaxed much, much more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 01:26:45 AM »

A filing of a fictitious business name would be done so that no one else could use that name for business purposes.  Typically this is a county thing... so you start up a business called Joe's Donuts and therefore no one else in the county could impersonate your business by being Joe's Donuts in the same area.  But someone else could start a Joe's Donuts in some other county or state and that would be okay. 

The whole thing doesn't really seem to mean much when a record is released nationally.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 08:58:26 AM »

I find it interesting and curious that Al Jardine was involved with this considering it was when he was already no longer part of the BBs band via him quitting.

I have to refresh my memory about the history because I guess I do recall he was never completely out of Brian's circle during this timeframe, but it is rather curious to think he quit The Beach Boys but simultaneously had the interest to do this random side project.

I wonder how that went down, maybe it was less of a commitment for Al to do something like this if he wanted to still stay connected to Brian and the music world a bit?
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 02:40:31 AM »

Glad I found this thread because I too have a Rachel and the Revolvers question:

WTF is Rachel and the Revolvers???  Huh
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 07:55:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9p11cuu4Y
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx