gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:13:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Depp & Jeff Beck re-recorded Dennis Wilson  (Read 4957 times)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2022, 03:09:25 PM »

Johnny Depp and Jeff Beck did a beautiful version of Time in their new album:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6jB0a47qHczHonDyabz1Cc?si=vgkNpqlzSs6LaAx9u-Ehjw
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 07:08:52 AM »

I could never see Stamos, despite all his years of trying to emulate Dennis, pull off something like that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:01 AM »

Paywall.
Dbunyan6
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 04:49:21 PM »

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=q6I2xDiMbKI&feature=share
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 07:58:54 PM »

Edit
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:26:55 PM by Rebel » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 05:51:07 AM »

It's a nice cover of an underrated song.  I kinda wish they did more with the instrumental last half of the track (the horn part is sorely missed here), but this is still pretty well done.  Beck and Depp also cover "Don't Talk (PYHOMS)" and "Caroline, No" on that same album.  Glad to see that Beck's rather awkward experience he had touring and recording with BW never deterred his overall appreciation for the group.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »

New interview with Jeff Beck still complaining about Brian,  still not understanding Brian's deal after 87 years, and not remembering the title to either "Surf's Up" or whatever the other song is he's talking about (You Still Believe In Me?). Watching him try to speak with reverence for Brian and Dennis while talking s*it at the same time is,  well,  something. 

https://youtu.be/n9uhPikAGgI

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 04:39:46 AM »

New interview with Jeff Beck still complaining about Brian,  still not understanding Brian's deal after 87 years, and not remembering the title to either "Surf's Up" or whatever the other song is he's talking about (You Still Believe In Me?). Watching him try to speak with reverence for Brian and Dennis while talking s*it at the same time is,  well,  something.  

Sounds like it's just Jeff Beck being Jeff Beck.  I don't really detect any true malice in his rhetoric.  It's readily apparent that he holds some appreciation towards the band but isn't a diehard like us and just wasn't prepared for Brian's idiosyncrasies.  Which is completely reasonable.  I for one really dug the tour he and Brian did awhile back and it was lovely to hear them all perform "Surf's Up" together.  

In fairness Vince Gill wasn't familiar with "Surf's Up" either when he was asked to perform it at Brian's 2001 tribute concert.  He assumed it was just another fun-in-the-sun beach tune and was in for a rude awakening when he first played the track.

https://youtu.be/by9u76dDnhY
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 04:53:39 AM by Awesoman » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 10:40:31 AM »

New interview with Jeff Beck still complaining about Brian,  still not understanding Brian's deal after 87 years, and not remembering the title to either "Surf's Up" or whatever the other song is he's talking about (You Still Believe In Me?). Watching him try to speak with reverence for Brian and Dennis while talking s*it at the same time is,  well,  something.  

Sounds like it's just Jeff Beck being Jeff Beck.  I don't really detect any true malice in his rhetoric.  It's readily apparent that he holds some appreciation towards the band but isn't a diehard like us and just wasn't prepared for Brian's idiosyncrasies.  Which is completely reasonable.  I for one really dug the tour he and Brian did awhile back and it was lovely to hear them all perform "Surf's Up" together.  

In fairness Vince Gill wasn't familiar with "Surf's Up" either when he was asked to perform it at Brian's 2001 tribute concert.  He assumed it was just another fun-in-the-sun beach tune and was in for a rude awakening when he first played the track.

https://youtu.be/by9u76dDnhY

While Beck is being kind of disrespectful in a kind of flippant way (kind of talking about Brian as if he died years ago or something) in this new interview, I'm also referencing what Beck said after the 2013 tour.

I think Beck still claiming to be confused about Brian's deal *after* the 2013 tour made no sense, and reeked either of him being a d**k in a pretty malicious way, or being aloof and clueless to a perplexing degree. Nobody on Beck's team did any due diligence to understand Brian's deal? He professed to be a fan, had already done that Musicares Brian tribute gig several years prior.

I think Beck signed on to that tour out of self-interests. Which, fair enough obviously. But to go on after the tour and trash Brian in a very non-sympathetic, non-empathetic, and just uncool way, it just left a really bad taste.

And if Beck, in this new interview, is saying he was off-put by Brian back during that Musicares show *years* before he signed on for the 2013 tour, then that makes even less sense. It sounds like Beck wanted a big pat on the back from Brian for covering one of his songs. If you knew ANYTHING about Brian (see: the story about Brian signing a CD for Don Henley, among many others), you'd understand that that's not what's going to happen. And if you knew ANYTHING about Brian, you'd know that his personality and Beck's are SO opposite each other, it's amazing they could ever work together in ANY capacity. As someone pointed out back in 2013, even both being "car guys", they're not even into remotely the same type of cars!

I'm not saying people who have weird or bad interactions with Brian should never be able to discuss such things. When Beck talks about Brian, he talks about him the way someone who knows *nothing* about Brian would talk about him. And that's pretty s**tty for someone who has benefited from their professional association with him.

As was also pointed out back in 2013 when Beck seemed confused or miffed or whatever that there weren't more tour dates or that Brian wasn't doing anything with the studio tracks they had cut, it's worth pointing out that Beck has soured MANY working relationships with others over the years, and has seen a number of projects he's been involved with canceled/shelved, etc. One that always comes to mind is the "guitar concerto" he recorded with McCartney. Not one note of that has ever seen the light of day, and McCartney has never worked with Beck since (or before for that matter really).

I already made my feelings known about Depp in another Beck/Depp thread, so I won't belabor the point again, other than to say it makes total sense that Beck would team up with Depp both on a personal and professional level.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 06:23:02 AM »

While Beck is being kind of disrespectful in a kind of flippant way (kind of talking about Brian as if he died years ago or something) in this new interview, I'm also referencing what Beck said after the 2013 tour.

I think Beck still claiming to be confused about Brian's deal *after* the 2013 tour made no sense, and reeked either of him being a d**k in a pretty malicious way, or being aloof and clueless to a perplexing degree. Nobody on Beck's team did any due diligence to understand Brian's deal? He professed to be a fan, had already done that Musicares Brian tribute gig several years prior.

I think Beck signed on to that tour out of self-interests. Which, fair enough obviously. But to go on after the tour and trash Brian in a very non-sympathetic, non-empathetic, and just uncool way, it just left a really bad taste.

And if Beck, in this new interview, is saying he was off-put by Brian back during that Musicares show *years* before he signed on for the 2013 tour, then that makes even less sense. It sounds like Beck wanted a big pat on the back from Brian for covering one of his songs. If you knew ANYTHING about Brian (see: the story about Brian signing a CD for Don Henley, among many others), you'd understand that that's not what's going to happen. And if you knew ANYTHING about Brian, you'd know that his personality and Beck's are SO opposite each other, it's amazing they could ever work together in ANY capacity. As someone pointed out back in 2013, even both being "car guys", they're not even into remotely the same type of cars!

I'm not saying people who have weird or bad interactions with Brian should never be able to discuss such things. When Beck talks about Brian, he talks about him the way someone who knows *nothing* about Brian would talk about him. And that's pretty s**tty for someone who has benefited from their professional association with him.

As was also pointed out back in 2013 when Beck seemed confused or miffed or whatever that there weren't more tour dates or that Brian wasn't doing anything with the studio tracks they had cut, it's worth pointing out that Beck has soured MANY working relationships with others over the years, and has seen a number of projects he's been involved with canceled/shelved, etc. One that always comes to mind is the "guitar concerto" he recorded with McCartney. Not one note of that has ever seen the light of day, and McCartney has never worked with Beck since (or before for that matter really).

I already made my feelings known about Depp in another Beck/Depp thread, so I won't belabor the point again, other than to say it makes total sense that Beck would team up with Depp both on a personal and professional level.

Fair enough and I don't completely disagree but again this all sounds like my initial reaction: it's just Jeff Beck being Jeff Beck.  Maybe he's coming off dismissive and cantankerous about his encounters with Brian, but it doesn't really seem worth getting too bent out of shape over.  This idea that Beck and his people are expected to fully and completely understand Brian's situation and cater wholly to it is not realistic, especially when egos are involved.  Perhaps the Beck/Wilson pairing could be described as a cautionary tale of being careful about meeting your heroes. 

And let's not undermine the fact that his new album with Depp has three songs written by the Beach Boys (two BW songs and one from Dennis).  I think that speaks for itself in terms of Beck and Depp's appreciation towards the group.  And that matters more to me than any curmudgeonly commentary from Beck himself.

SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 07:32:41 AM »

Honestly, while I feel for Depp dealing with an unhinged nightmare like AH, fact is he's got plenty of his own issues and frankly I am, at this point, so sick of hearing about JD and really wish he'd disappear for a while.  I don't care to ever see the dude in the news or in a movie or anywhere else for that matter.  There's plenty of guys who have had to deal with the proverbial "psycho GF" who unlike him are not wealthy celebrity shmucks, and if they are lucky enough to A) survive the trauma of being in such a relationship and B) manage to escape it, they don't then get the jack off silver linings of taking the stage with musicians who far exceed their meager capabilities and in fact only tolerate their presence because they are a celebrity douche bag. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 03:05:18 PM »

Looks like Jeff Beck just passed away at 78.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »

Bacterial Meningitis apparently. Not a huge fan tbh after some of his comments about the tour with Brian, but sad for him, family and fans.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 03:07:18 AM »

Beck was certainly a musical genius and innovator. But, unlike Brian, he seemed to come off as abrasive and hard to work with. His collaborations never seemed to last long.

To quote an article today :

Beck acrimoniously departed the Yardbirds. “They kicked me out … f*** them,” he waspishly noted during the band’s 1992 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 03:08:50 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 08:41:02 PM »

So what do we know about the Brian/Jeff Beck sessions besides the following? a: Al Jardine singing something that sounded like an Indian chant; b: a version of Danny boy was recorded; and c: there was a photo of Brian playing the bass with headphones on.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 02:11:06 AM »

I think I recall the title Metropolis…but I wonder if that eventually came out as half moon bay.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 09:02:23 AM »

Since we're talking Jeff Beck, here's a nice clip of the live Danny Boy that closed each show on the 2013 Beck/Brian tour... definitely a highlight each night. (Stay for the group bow at the very end.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJuZBG67v4

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 10:22:29 AM »

So what do we know about the Brian/Jeff Beck sessions besides the following? a: Al Jardine singing something that sounded like an Indian chant; b: a version of Danny boy was recorded; and c: there was a photo of Brian playing the bass with headphones on.

Wasn't that picture taken during the NPP sessions? I don't know but always thought it came from that time.
BTW what brand is that bass?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:27:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 11:01:01 AM »

that's a Sadowsky. Walter Becker of Steely Dan played Sadowskys and had his own signature model guitar
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 11:08:43 AM »

Were the Beck sessions kind of intermingled within various NPP sessions? That seems to be my memory. I recall interviews with Al and/or Brian that mentioned both sessions with Beck and songs that ended up on NPP. I recall they also mentioned "Run James Run", which of course ended up on the "Playback" comp (I've long suspected Al cut the lead for potential inclusion on NPP).

One main question has always been whether they scrapped the Beck tracks for musical reasons, or because of the tensions before and after the 2013 tour.

Beck later gave an interview where he talked as if this was like a new, ongoing joint project, pointing out he felt they rushed to go out on tour and should have finished the studio tracks first. But I never got the impression any of the joint projects with Beck (recording or touring) were anything other than one-shot deals in the midst of *Brian Wilson* solo stuff (obviously, had it gone super well, they could have done more). I don't think it was going to be a "Wilson-Beck" album. It was going to be Beck as one of many guests on a Brian solo album. I remember being confused as to why Beck felt he would ever have any say about the timeline of Brian's releases. Obviously, Beck could choose to guest or not.

In any event, as I said back when Beck had some non-empathetic things to say about Brian (to put it politely), that even though it seemed they probably shouldn't be working together anymore (something other collaborators with Beck have seemed to find), I can't deny that it would be pretty interesting to hear what was laid down in the studio. It's gotta be better than "Our Special Love".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:11:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »

that's a Sadowsky. Walter Becker of Steely Dan played Sadowskys and had his own signature model guitar

Thanks! I didn't know that brand. Just took a look on youtube and the basses I've seen there sound pretty great

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 01:01:54 PM »

I think I recall the title Metropolis…but I wonder if that eventually came out as half moon bay.

Different titles in the BMI database.

At the time, Rolling Stone reported that Brian was recording three separate albums. One with Beck, largely instrumental, one with female guest singers, and one with Al and Blondie. We ended up getting an album was was a mixture of the latter two, but nothing of the first.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 04:07:27 AM »

In any event, as I said back when Beck had some non-empathetic things to say about Brian (to put it politely), that even though it seemed they probably shouldn't be working together anymore (something other collaborators with Beck have seemed to find), I can't deny that it would be pretty interesting to hear what was laid down in the studio. It's gotta be better than "Our Special Love".

It sounds like "Danny Boy" was pretty much in the can as they were already performing it live during that time.  It's a shame nothing from those sessions with Beck ever saw the light of day; perhaps with his passing that may change and we can have a better glimpse at what could have been.  I honestly don't care about Beck's comments over Brian as I've stated before that Beck was Beck and Brian is Brian; perhaps they simply weren't the right match as collaborators.  But if anything cool came from their recording sessions I would love to hear it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 06:25:31 PM »

I honestly don't care about Beck's comments over Brian as I've stated before that Beck was Beck and Brian is Brian; perhaps they simply weren't the right match as collaborators.
From what I’ve learned over the past few years, I think they were both too similar and too different in the wrong areas for many reasons. Sometimes, it’s that simple.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 07:55:50 AM »

I honestly don't care about Beck's comments over Brian as I've stated before that Beck was Beck and Brian is Brian; perhaps they simply weren't the right match as collaborators.
From what I’ve learned over the past few years, I think they were both too similar and too different in the wrong areas for many reasons. Sometimes, it’s that simple.

Yeah that would make sense.  I still really enjoyed the tour they did together as it was the only time I ever saw Beck perform.  And it was well worth it. 

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx