gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:13:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new Surf's Up podcast with David Leaf  (Read 818 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

Hello all -- wanted to let you know that ahead of the US release of God Only Knows: The Story of Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys and the California Myth, Phil Miglioratti and I have dropped a new episode of Surf's Up: A Beach Boys Podcast Safari welcoming back author David Leaf. We talk about his motivations for updating his 1978 book, his long-ago mission to write about and befriend Brian and help him finish Smile, navigating Eugene Landy, Brian exorcising his demons, where Brian is at today, and The Beach Boys' 60th anniversary. David gives us his insider view on the Life of Brian. Please check it out and let us know what you think. It's available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Amazon Alexa, Audible and on SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-93394161/david-leaf-on-his-book-god-only-knows

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 10:47:59 AM »

Hello all -- wanted to let you know that ahead of the US release of God Only Knows: The Story of Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys and the California Myth, Phil Miglioratti and I have dropped a new episode of Surf's Up: A Beach Boys Podcast Safari welcoming back author David Leaf. We talk about his motivations for updating his 1978 book, his long-ago mission to write about and befriend Brian and help him finish Smile, navigating Eugene Landy, Brian exorcising his demons, where Brian is at today, and The Beach Boys' 60th anniversary. David gives us his insider view on the Life of Brian. Please check it out and let us know what you think. It's available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Amazon Alexa, Audible and on SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-93394161/david-leaf-on-his-book-god-only-knows

I’ll be listening later on, Mark! David’s earlier appearance on the pod was also excellent!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 03:40:07 PM »

Extremely enjoyable, Mark! I took a bit of a sunbath this afternoon with my "chick by my side" (OK, my iPad...) and listened to three engaging and eloquent guys having a wonderful conversation about a subject that never gets old (even though, alas, we all keep doing so). David's decision to keep the earlier material intact was both courageous and wise, and the new material is some of his best work, ripening mysteriously and magnificently like a top-vintage wine. I think the new material captures his authorial voice in a unique and compelling way that has never been quite so visible in his previous work, and that impression grows strong every time I spend additional time with the book.

The welcoming atmosphere and the cogent questions clearly allowed him to open things up a bit more for us, while still remaining true to his "Hippocratic oath" regarding his friendship with Brian. And...the show was just the right length so that I did not stay out in the sun too long (either physically or metaphorically!).  Smokin

I hope many will tune in, and that a large percentage of those who do will see fit to purchase the book. It's a keeper!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx