gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:48:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE 2004 Backing Tracks Info Needed!  (Read 12926 times)
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »

I agree, Jason. I have done and do still love it too for what it was, but the personal stuff clouds it for me and makes it a harsh listen these days.

That's all part of the legend. The main selling point for most people is that they would love to hear the music that supposedly drove its creator insane.

That's never been a main selling point for me, I must admit.

For me, it's always been about the legend of Brian Wilson's magnificent unreleased opus magnum that should've followed 'GV's. The album that might have tipped the scales in Brian Wilson's (ergo: the Beach Boys) favour in the Pop/Rock/Psyche hierachy in the '60's if it had been released back then.

Me, I thought it was so dark and so ominous that I actually got chills listening to a few of the sections.

Hehe .. that's how it used to be for me, before I learnt about the whole backstory.

If there's one thing we can learn about Smile, it's not really a "happy" album.

You're right, the '66-'67 session tracks/vocal castoffs and tidbits don't make for happy listening. SMiLE, on the other hand' as released by Brian Wilson; makes for one helluva happy album Grin

As long as the '66-'67 era stuff is archived properly for posterity ( .. America's band at what could have been it's finest point in it's career) then I'm happy.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »

For me, the music is timeless. I could give a rat's ass about whether it's the old version or new one. And the complaints about pianos is, to me, pointless. It's all about the composition of music that transcends, and whether it's the '66 model or the 2004 one, nothing else quite reaches the heights of imagination like SMiLE.

I think everyone, even those who can't get past the fact that there is no tape hiss on BWPS should sit down and listen closely to the instrumentals and throw all preconceptions out the window forever.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx