gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:16:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles “Unheard Revolver’’. Jon Anderson of YES talks Revolver.  (Read 8384 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2022, 08:29:12 AM »

Great article!!!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/the-beatles-revolver-unheard-archives-sheffield-1234587264/

REVOLVER SPECIAL EDITION
Tracklists
SUPER DELUXE [5CD + 100-page hardbound book in slipcase | digital audio collection]

CD1: Revolver (New stereo mix)
1: Taxman
2: Eleanor Rigby
3: I’m Only Sleeping
4: Love You To
5: Here, There And Everywhere
6: Yellow Submarine
7: She Said She Said
8: Good Day Sunshine
9: And Your Bird Can Sing
10: For No One
11: Doctor Robert
12: I Want To Tell You
13: Got To Get You Into My Life
14: Tomorrow Never Knows

CD2: Sessions One
1: Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
2: Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono mix RM 11)
3: Got To Get You Into My Life (First version) – Take 5
4: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Unnumbered mix - mono
5: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Take 8
6: Love You To (Take 1) - mono
7: Love You To (Unnumbered rehearsal) - mono
8: Love You To (Take 7)
9: Paperback Writer (Takes 1 and 2) – Backing track – mono
10: Rain (Take 5 – Actual speed)
11: Rain (Take 5 – Slowed down for master tape)
12: Doctor Robert (Take 7)
13: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2
14: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2 (giggling)

CD3: Sessions Two
1: And Your Bird Can Sing (Second version) – Take 5
2: Taxman (Take 11)
3: I’m Only Sleeping (Rehearsal fragment) - mono
4: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2) - mono
5: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 5) - mono
6: I’m Only Sleeping (Mono mix RM1)
7: Eleanor Rigby (Speech before Take 2)
8: Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
9: For No One (Take 10) – Backing track
10: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 1) - mono
11: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 2) – mono
12: Yellow Submarine (Take 4 before sound effects)
13: Yellow Submarine (Highlighted sound effects)
14: I Want To Tell You (Speech and Take 4)
15: Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
16: She Said She Said (John’s demo) - mono
17: She Said She Said (Take 15) – Backing track rehearsal

CD4: Revolver (Original mono master)
Album tracklist (same as above)

CD5: Revolver EP
1: Paperback Writer (New stereo mix)
2: Rain (New stereo mix)
3: Paperback Writer (Original mono mix remastered)
4: Rain (Original mono mix remastered)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 04:59:44 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 10:49:30 AM »

I'm all in on that set! Fantastic! It was Revolver (actually the US version which was all that was available at the time I bought it), Pet Sounds, Smile, and The Monkees' Headquarters and PAC&J albums that got me obsessed with music. Revolver is simply amazing in many ways, it was great to finally get the full UK version back in the day, and now this. Great news!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:41:07 AM »

https://www.spin.com/2022/09/the-beatles-revisit-revolver-with-rarities-packed-deluxe-reissues/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 01:43:25 AM »

Taxman

https://youtu.be/DdTzOUUZ8Vg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 08:25:13 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 03:45:39 AM »

Deluxe 5 CD boxset available to pre-order

https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Special-Super-Deluxe-5CD/dp/B0BB3F4J1J/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1ULQ9CXOKN371&keywords=revolver+beatles+deluxe&qid=1662806608&sprefix=revolver%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-1

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 12:33:47 AM »

An excellent article from The Guardian!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/10/beatles-revolver-reissue-shows-band-in-new-light-this-is-the-record-where-we-were-each-most-ourselves

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 04:53:28 PM »

The song comes alive.
That is a great tune.
Stands up today.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »

I'm really looking forward to the Yellow Submarine "worktape" with John Lennon singing the lead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 07:02:53 AM »

“Tomorrow Never Knows Take 1”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3wfV6MYfxQ&feature=youtu.be

Info

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beatles-revolver-take-one-1234602721/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:05:41 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 01:46:37 PM »

Not unheard. It was on Anthology 2, released in 1996. People have short memories these days.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 06:47:55 PM »

I guess some people have such short attention spans they can’t read the articles linked. Obviously, the original album isn’t unheard. The thread title comes from the article linked in my first post. As Apple releases NEW mixes and unreleased stuff I will post them.
FYI-this mix is 20 some seconds longer,

In the meantime, maybe you want to read that article and educate yourself on what the project is all about 🤙
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:02:31 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 08:00:12 PM »

Lonely Summer, “ Not unheard. It was on Revolver, in 1966. People have short memories these days.“  Smiley

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »

New official Beatles video for “Taxman”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdcE8jdz70

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 11:19:51 PM »

John’s Yellow Submarine Demo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyRGThtTzA

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »

“Got to Get You into My Life” Un - numbered mix. No horns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azvE5dh2f1A

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 09:57:48 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XwXliCK19Y

New “I’m Only Sleeping” video

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »

There is considerable controversy over the actual speed mix of take 5 of Rain on Facebook.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 03:41:13 AM »

There is considerable controversy over the actual speed mix of take 5 of Rain on Facebook.

What’s the scoops?  Tried to find on FB but too much content. Giles go a bit overboard with his new mix?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »

What’s the scoops?  Tried to find on FB but too much content. Giles go a bit overboard with his new mix?
I don't fully understand it, but the gist of it is that the original Rain master take was recorded with just guitar and drums at a very fast tempo. This track was slowed down, and then Paul overdubbed his bass on the now much slower recording. This was the master take, and what was officially released(once all vocals were added). The recording in it's original speed was released on the new box set. The thing is, Giles took the overdubbed bass and sped it up to match the speed of the original recording. A lot of people are saying the take should have been released without bass, as originally recording. But a bunch of people are saying that the sped up bass is in the wrong key, and that's the big issue.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:16:30 PM by Jay » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2022, 06:04:50 PM »

What’s the scoops?  Tried to find on FB but too much content. Giles go a bit overboard with his new mix?
I don't fully understand it, but the gist of it is that the original Rain master take was recorded with just guitar and drums at a very fast tempo. This track was slowed down, and then Paul overdubbed his bass on the now much slower recording. This was the master take, and what was officially released(once all vocals were added). The recording in it's original speed was released on the new box set. The thing is, Giles took the overdubbed bass and sped it up to match the speed of the original recording. A lot of people are saying the take should have been released without bass, as originally recording. But a bunch of people are saying that the sped up bass is in the wrong key, and that's the big issue.

Very, very well explained!  Very interesting debate. A little too much monkey business by Giles Martin. I wonder if Paul was consulted?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »

What’s the scoops?  Tried to find on FB but too much content. Giles go a bit overboard with his new mix?

Very, very well explained!  Very interesting debate. A little too much monkey business by Giles Martin. I wonder if Paul was consulted?
I've also read a few people questioning whether the original take as released is even playing at the right speed. Some are finding it hard that Ringo could drum at that fast a speed. This is the recording in question, with the bass from the released version added and sped up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3IuNGxGVXk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 06:43:48 PM by Jay » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 01:13:40 AM »

Very, very well explained!  Very interesting debate. A little too much monkey business by Giles Martin. I wonder if Paul was consulted?
I've also read a few people questioning whether the original take as released is even playing at the right speed. Some are finding it hard that Ringo could drum at that fast a speed. This is the recording in question, with the bass from the released version added and sped up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3IuNGxGVXk

Sure sounds abnormally fast to my ears and the bass does sound off.

Thanks for posting this!  Very interesting stuff!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 04:49:41 AM »

Eleanor Rigby  I really love Paul’s vocal in this new mix!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqMmGlTc_w
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:43:51 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 01:33:05 PM »

I guess some people have such short attention spans they can’t read the articles linked. Obviously, the original album isn’t unheard. The thread title comes from the article linked in my first post. As Apple releases NEW mixes and unreleased stuff I will post them.

In the meantime, maybe you want to read that article and educate yourself on what the project is all about 🤙
That was not my point. Speaking of short memories, people seem to have forgotten about the Anthology project in the 90's. That's where I first heard most of this stuff - the alternate versions, remixes, etc. I'm just tired of Apple/Capitol/etc. presenting this stuff like it should be new to all of us. Did everyone toss out their Anthology cd's?  still play them.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »

That was not my point. Speaking of short memories, people seem to have forgotten about the Anthology project in the 90's. That's where I first heard most of this stuff - the alternate versions, remixes, etc. I'm just tired of Apple/Capitol/etc. presenting this stuff like it should be new to all of us. Did everyone toss out their Anthology cd's?  still play them.

Sounds like you don’t remember what is in Anthology 2. Only seven tracks from the Revolver sessions and a few of those aren’t in the new box.

They used the Peter Jackson sound isolation method developed in the making of the Get Back Doc to completely remix Revolver. These are new mixes not on Anthology. 

The Revolver outtakes on Anthology 2 included on the box have been newly remastered.

While Anthology 2 had only seven Revolver outtakes, the box set has two CDs of outtakes.

While I have all the Anthology albums it isn’t rocket science to note the mass of new stuff on the box set.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx