gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:55:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Revealing Interview  (Read 14215 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »

Tbf I've already picked apart your logic and again you're doing what I referred to in my last post.

Ok then this is going way over my head. I do not see anywhere where you picked apart my points (specifically the 1-4 points I made in my last post) - if you could point me to the post (perhaps I missed it) where you clearly laid out your argument I’d be grateful. Or if someone else can help explain this to me - because there is something I’m just not getting then.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2022, 03:16:41 PM »

“It absolutely saved me... There are many ways to relax. Alcohol, marijuana, other drugs, but they all have side effects."
“It was heartbreaking to see my own family members destroying themselves through drink and drugs.”
“[TM] gives you a sort of high without having to resort to alcohol and drugs.”
“I was fortunate to learn mediation that kept me away from the drugs and alcohol. I used to drink hard liquor, but when I learned meditation I found it deeply relaxing and was able to relax through that way — not through alcohol or marijuana or anything like that. So if you're serious about music and about your life it's really good to pick up on habits that are positive and life supporting that are good for you…”
“Alcohol and marijuana and other drugs may be relaxing or invigorating or whatever, but you can get plenty relaxed through meditation without the negative side-effects…Bruce and Alan [Jardine] and myself didn't [indulge] and the Wilson brothers did. Tragically with Dennis [Wilson] it led to his early demise…”

- Mike Love

He lambasts Brian for drug use that occurred 40+ years ago (alluding that it led to Brian having the odd inability to use a telephone - talk about reaching too far), he talks constantly about how alcohol isn’t good for you (and points to how it led to his bandmate’s demise), how it was “heartbreaking” for him to see his bandmates destroy themselves with alcohol, then he promotes that very substance in a song. I think it’s fairly obvious how hypocritical that is, how backwards it is. Which is the point. As you yourself point out, Peadar, it’s a song to listen to while partying at spring break. After reading the above quotes by Mike Love, one would logically think that Mike Love would want nothing to do with this song (as it clearly promotes something he clearly objects to in countless interviews).

I highly doubt the kids at the spring break parties are listening to LoCash’s “Beach Boys” sitting in a circle lotus position doing transcendental meditation.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2022, 09:44:37 PM »

I think the simple answer here is: If Mike Love is doing it, it's bad. He's just a bad guy - an insensitive jerk that will jump on any bandwagon that he believes will put more cash - even LoCash - in his pocket.
Now look at Brian Wilson. Brian never, ever says anything bad about his bandmates - even though they've given him many reasons to verbally bash them. Brian never puts down Mike for not being willing to loosen up and enjoy a little toot or smoke once in a while; he never complains about Carl not liking his songs in 1995; he never puts down Al for being short, or Bruce for WEARING shorts. Heck, he's never even complaining about Bruce's obsession with adjusting the mike stand.
Brian's just a great guy; Mike is just the backside of someone's body.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2022, 02:29:26 AM »

As absolutely disgusting and indefensible as Mike's comments have been, I do feel that citing his involvement in "Beach Boys" by Locash is a stretch. George Jones was notorious for the destruction that alcohol addiction caused him, yet in 2001, he collaborated with Garth Brooks on "Beer Run (B-Double E-Double Are You In?)," a "feel good" song about drinking (and driving). This was just two years removed from songs like "Choices" and "Cold Hard Truth," that laid bare what overindulgence can do. And, as someone who not only is most definitely NOT a country music fan, and who also feels that alcohol is indisputably the most destructive drug known to man, I never once thought of Jones as a hypocrite for recording what amounted to an early proto-bro country, buddy drinking song.
I say this not to defend Mike or that horrendous song, but because, as a political scientist, reaches such as this can have a detrimental effect on valid arguments.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2022, 04:43:41 AM »

As absolutely disgusting and indefensible as Mike's comments have been, I do feel that citing his involvement in "Beach Boys" by Locash is a stretch. George Jones was notorious for the destruction that alcohol addiction caused him, yet in 2001, he collaborated with Garth Brooks on "Beer Run (B-Double E-Double Are You In?)," a "feel good" song about drinking (and driving). This was just two years removed from songs like "Choices" and "Cold Hard Truth," that laid bare what overindulgence can do. And, as someone who not only is most definitely NOT a country music fan, and who also feels that alcohol is indisputably the most destructive drug known to man, I never once thought of Jones as a hypocrite for recording what amounted to an early proto-bro country, buddy drinking song.
I say this not to defend Mike or that horrendous song, but because, as a political scientist, reaches such as this can have a detrimental effect on valid arguments.

Thanks for your input and for explaining that perspective more.

I actually 100% agree with Mike about booze (his quotes above at least). And another point about how strongly I feel about my argument: I feel like a hypocrite when I buy a beer at a restaurant or bring wine/6-pack to a get-together - because I am then monetarily supporting an industry that is making an addictive product that has ruined millions of lives. So perhaps that can shed light on why I feel the way I do. I’m looking at Mike as a hypocrite the same way I look at myself when I support the industry. If there is a drug that is causing pain in the world, any amount of promotion or support of that drug is just going to bring more pain into the world (be it writing songs that promote its use, or by handing over my cash to the alcohol industry when buying a Guinness). That’s about as simple as I can state my case. Perhaps it’s illogical to most, but that’s the way I see it.

Don’t get me wrong, I do see your and Peadar’s point about my argument being a stretch (meaning from the perspective of societal norms today I can see why LoCash’s song is seen by some/most of you as harmless). I just don’t see it as harmless…I don’t see any drugs in any amount (be they alcohol, cigarettes, etc) as a positive thing for the world, so the promotion and support of alcohol just doesn’t seem like a positive thing to me.

Thanks again for writing out your perspective, I do get where you’re coming from, and hopefully I’ve explained myself well enough for y’all to see where I’m coming from (even if we don’t agree).

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2022, 06:32:27 AM »

Alcohol is an addictive product for some people but not everyone.
I wonder how addictive it is compared to non-legal drugs; it may kill 80,000 per year compared to 70,000 for heroin, but it is also way more widely consumed.

Alcohol has been normalized by society and is not held to the same standard as other drugs. How much sense that makes in terms of negative impacts to individuals and society I do not know.

But how black and white can we be about the matter? The sugar and fast food industries also sell products that are addictive, can cause disease and ruin lives.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2022, 07:44:23 AM »

The issue isn't debating whether alcohol is this or that, the issue is a guy, Mike, who has spent decades talking about how "his" band was ruined by drug and alcohol abuse, how his cousins ruined themselves through alcohol and drug abuse, and how in comparison his own study and practice of TM and meditation has kept him above all that and therefore he can live a clean and peaceful life without drugs and alcohol.

If someone preaches that way for decades, and as someone earlier suggested was so "traumatized" by what happened to his cousins via alcohol and drugs that it causes him to continuously bring it up...then sing on, perform, and endorse a song whose main theme is getting boozed up and partying with booze, that's hypocrisy, and Mike could easily have declined to participate in remaking that song with his vocals.

The message of clean living that Mike preaches, using the examples of his cousins abusing drugs and alcohol as opposed to his clean living, would ring a lot more true if Mike himself were not endorsing and singing a new song about drinking the same booze that he was so traumatized about as he watched it ruin his cousins, his family, and his band. And that's not to mention his Be True To Your Bud nonsense from the 80s when he went on a Budweiser sponsored tour and rewrote yet another Beach Boys song to promote beer and performed that crap at colleges and spring break events.

It's hypocritical.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2022, 08:27:37 AM »

The issue isn't debating whether alcohol is this or that, the issue is a guy, Mike, who has spent decades talking about how "his" band was ruined by drug and alcohol abuse, how his cousins ruined themselves through alcohol and drug abuse, and how in comparison his own study and practice of TM and meditation has kept him above all that and therefore he can live a clean and peaceful life without drugs and alcohol.

If someone preaches that way for decades, and as someone earlier suggested was so "traumatized" by what happened to his cousins via alcohol and drugs that it causes him to continuously bring it up...then sing on, perform, and endorse a song whose main theme is getting boozed up and partying with booze, that's hypocrisy, and Mike could easily have declined to participate in remaking that song with his vocals.

The message of clean living that Mike preaches, using the examples of his cousins abusing drugs and alcohol as opposed to his clean living, would ring a lot more true if Mike himself were not endorsing and singing a new song about drinking the same booze that he was so traumatized about as he watched it ruin his cousins, his family, and his band. And that's not to mention his Be True To Your Bud nonsense from the 80s when he went on a Budweiser sponsored tour and rewrote yet another Beach Boys song to promote beer and performed that crap at colleges and spring break events.

It's hypocritical.

This       Thumbs Up w00t! Love Rock! High Five Pirate

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »

Lord, a few of you all need to grow a set of balls.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2022, 11:12:34 AM »

Don't know about balls, but this thread showed, for the umpteenth time, that I am just not made for these times.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »

Don't know about balls, but this thread showed, for the umpteenth time, that I am just not made for these times.

Enjoy fandom!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »

Enjoy fandom!

Tried...
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »

A handful of posters on this board have created more Mike Love apologists in the past few years than probably the previous twenty. 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2022, 12:30:51 PM »

Be true to your OSD! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2022, 12:48:20 PM »

A handful of posters on this board have created more Mike Love apologists in the past few years than probably the previous twenty. 

Reverse psychology?

Perhaps this was Mike Love's plan all along.

Is OSD secretly working for Mike Love?

If true, this would be confirmation that there is no depth to which Mike Love will not sink.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2022, 01:05:37 PM »

Reverse psychology?

If true, this would be confirmation that there is no depth to which Mike Love will not sink.

Grin I was kinda thinking the same  Cool Guy - It's a "genius" plan.....Is........Mike......a.........genius....too?

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2022, 04:18:13 PM »

Now look at Brian Wilson. Brian never, ever says anything bad about his bandmates - even though they've given him many reasons to verbally bash them. Brian never puts down Mike for not being willing to loosen up and enjoy a little toot or smoke once in a while; he never complains about Carl not liking his songs in 1995; he never puts down Al for being short, or Bruce for WEARING shorts. Heck, he's never even complaining about Bruce's obsession with adjusting the mike stand.
Brian's just a great guy; Mike is just the backside of someone's body.

I assume that this is at least partly sarcasm, but there's a kernel of truth... you'd truly be hard-pressed to find any interview 1964 to present in which Brian Wilson bashes anyone or puts down anyone.  Even if he directs criticism toward, say, Murry or Landy, he typically qualifies it by pointing out good things they accomplished (e.g., the former driving the band's early success and the latter getting him off his addictions).  With respect to Mike Love, at various points over the years Brian has indicated that he's "afraid" of Mike or not interested in socializing with him, but that's Brian being honest about his own feelings, not bashing someone else.  One truly insightful moment into Brian's character, I think, is in Larry King's interview some years back.  Melinda starts criticizing Marilyn for hiring Landy, and Brian jumps in to defend Marilyn, saying that she didn't know Landy was crazy etc.  Not too many people in a nationally televised interview would publicly contradict current spouse to defend their ex.  Brian's reputation for decades has been as someone who has a sweet disposition.  Having observed the man in person a number of times over the years, I think that's accurate.  The same was true of Carl.  I can't think of Carl bashing many people either or putting anyone down.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:02:19 PM by juggler » Logged
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2022, 06:13:06 PM »

This interview doesn't seem too revealing. It seems like more of the same shtick from Mike. Wilson brothers drugs! I didn't necessarily get from Mike that Brian's recent struggles were due to taking drugs in the 60s, but maybe I'm immune to Mike's standard interview responses. It's beyond sad Mike has to go to this well so often, but this interview seems to be run of the mill for the Lovester.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »

I wonder how addictive it is compared to non-legal drugs; it may kill 80,000 per year compared to 70,000 for heroin, but it is also way more widely consumed.

Alcohol has been normalized by society and is not held to the same standard as other drugs. How much sense that makes in terms of negative impacts to individuals and society I do not know.

But how black and white can we be about the matter? The sugar and fast food industries also sell products that are addictive, can cause disease and ruin lives.
And I readily consume them at any given opportunity.
But I'm not out there bashing people that eat at McDonald's or enjoy a Pepsi now and again.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »

Some observations about the (semi-predictable) drift in this thread:

--Any SS thread dealing with Mike will wind up aimlessly rambling into ever-more quotidian quibbles over trivial and unprovable "facts."

--Steve M. has once again demonstrated the crippling effects of simultaneously thinking with one's dick and having a Viagra addiction.  3D

--If anyone here REALLY thinks that OSD is secretly "working for Mike," they've clearly had more than one too many "big dinners"!  Cool Guy

Mike is (was?) a great singer, a good lyricist (so long as he sticks to "boy-girl" stuff), and he has a strong work ethic. He's highly motivated to be the "last man standing" in the band. Everything else that one can say about him becomes potentially libelous, however, so we should all take care not to "poke the bear."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »

--If anyone here REALLY thinks that OSD is secretly "working for Mike," they've clearly had more than one too many "big dinners"!  Cool Guy

Was just kidding around Don however Smile Brian definitely works for Mike. That Melinda ruse was clever though I must admit  Grin

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »

Reverse psychology?

This was a joke in case it wasn’t obvious.

Whilst I acknowledge that these latest interview comments appear distasteful and are  unnecessary, I do not feel particularly inclined to engage too deeply with the complex personal dynamic between Mike, Brian and their respective circles.

I’m supposed to be seeing “The Beach Boys” next month. I fear that we are reaching the end of the road so looking forward to it.

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »

And I readily consume them at any given opportunity.
But I'm not out there bashing people that eat at McDonald's or enjoy a Pepsi now and again.

If eating a cheeseburger led to a much higher probability of getting into a head on collision on the way home from a restaurant, I think society would have a different outlook on cheeseburgers. If we're really comparing the two, more people died of alcohol related incidents than of obesity last year. I don't know of anyone who has lost their home and family or who has killed themselves on the road because they were obese. But I do know far too many people who have destroyed themselves and others because of booze. Yes, binging on food can lead to disastrous health consequences, but it also doesn't put other people's lives at risk on the road, binging on food doesn't lead to 1 million+ acts of violence every year, there are no acts of sexual assault by people under the influence of a Dr. Pepper, etc....but yet all these things happen as a result of alcohol every day. And while society deems the effects of alcohol normal, I personally don't think all of those negative effects should be considered normal.

I'm not advocating we ban alcohol. I haven't bashed anyone for drinking alcohol. I'm just saying that I agree with Mike about the issue: alcohol has negative side effects for a lot of people, and it can lead to destruction of lives as the facts, statistics, and subjective evidence from nearly everyone's lives (be it people we know or know of) show.

I think that LoCash song is diametrically opposed to Mike's quotes (which I posted above) over the years where he is adamantly (and seemingly passionately) speaking out against the pitfalls of alcohol and how he has seen it destroy loved ones in his life. I guess most people see the LoCash song as a dumb party song, but the fact is it is advocating the use of alcohol - something Mike has spoken out against time and time again. Thus I find it hypocritical of him to have anything to do with the song.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2022, 03:59:32 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596244765199333&set=a.347880756702403&type=3

Didn’t Mike get his masterpiece of a song into a movie called and about “Cocktail”?

It’s pretty obvious from the link above that he greatly enjoys one himself!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:03:57 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596244765199333&set=a.347880756702403&type=3

Didn’t Mike get his masterpiece of a song into a movie called and about “Cocktail”?

It’s pretty obvious from the link above that he greatly enjoys one himself!
Yes, Mike wrote a great song that became the Beach Boys biggest selling single ever - with not one note of participation from Brian, who was busy recording a giant turkey of an album with his shrink! Brian should have been working Mike instead of Landy, because if anyone knows how to make a hit record with Brian, it's Mike.

When Mike finallhy got total control of the Beach Boys, he delivered a masterpiece that everyone still talks about today, a classic album called Summer in Paradise, an album that was such a big seller, Billboard couldn't even keep track of the sales, so they gave up and decided not to track it on their charts!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx