gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Revealing Interview  (Read 14207 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2022, 01:57:53 PM »

As much as Mike can be a dick, I don't think any Wilson would have a problem with that crappy country party drinking song. No point looking for extra thing to bash Mike with, there's plenty already.

I don't think anyone is looking for anything extra to bash Mike with. Whether or not the Wilson's would think it's a fun party song, the point in bringing up the LoCash song is that Mike seems to bring up the pitfalls of drug use anytime he's asked a question even remotely relating to modern-day Brian. We're bringing up the LoCash song because it's insanely hypocritical to judge Brian for drug use 40 years ago whilst promoting a song in 2022 that promotes excessive drug use.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »

As much as Mike can be a dick, I don't think any Wilson would have a problem with that crappy country party drinking song. No point looking for extra thing to bash Mike with, there's plenty already.

I don't think anyone is looking for anything extra to bash Mike with. Whether or not the Wilson's would think it's a fun party song, the point in bringing up the LoCash song is that Mike seems to bring up the pitfalls of drug use anytime he's asked a question even remotely relating to modern-day Brian. We're bringing up the LoCash song because it's insanely hypocritical to judge Brian for drug use 40 years ago whilst promoting a song in 2022 that promotes excessive drug use.

"promotes excessive drug use" - It's kind of a spring break bro country song. Stop making it something it's not.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2022, 02:40:14 PM »

"promotes excessive drug use" - It's kind of a spring break bro country song. Stop making it something it's not.

70,000+ were killed by opioids last year in America. 80,000+ were killed by alcohol alone last year in America. Call the song whatever you want, but alcohol is a drug, and it's abuse does kill millions of people worldwide each year. Just because it's marketed and legal doesn't make it any less lethal than the drugs that Mike constantly crusades against (when it comes to Brian).

And with those statistics in mind, the repeated line "drink em down down drink em down" "Instead of Jack D, shoot some Cuervo. Mix up some rum" is promoting excessive drug use.

And to top it all off, it's just churlish to promote such a song when Dennis Wilson died due to his problems with alcohol.

Again, I'm not making up these statistics. I'm not "making something it's not". The lyrics are there, the facts are there.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »

Thing is, few people see alcohol for what it is. Having seen both of my parents die of liver failure due to years of alcohol abuse, having had certain things happen to me as a child due to alcohol, well , I’ve seen first hand what could happen. Everything in moderation. Mike is just showing his hypocrisy. Again , I wish someone would bring up his idiocy in 1988 directly to his face .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2022, 03:43:23 PM »

Mike's comments in this interview are indefensible, he should apologize to Brian. Completely unprovoked.

I had hoped Mike was going to put this to bed with his 'setting the record straight' autobiography.

Then he seemed to decide that he was going to move forward, recording new material on his own, and sort of give up the Brian/ Mike songwriting reunion.

But these attempts obviously haven't had the desired effect for him...as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this is something much deeper with Mike, that at his advanced age, won't be fixed. It's sad, and portrays him as a sad individual, in spite of decades of fame and extremely good fortune (and hard work)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2022, 03:51:04 PM »

The sad part is, I have always championed him on an artistic level and feel he’s unjustly maligned on that level. But when he belittles Brian publicly (for issues he contributed towards!) , or makes a tasteless LGBTQ joke before a song, for instance, it immediately overshadows that. He blames everyone else, but he is his own worst enemy. And I were Brian, I’d tell Mike what he can go do with that piano in that room.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2022, 06:28:23 PM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to. Mike and Brian are better off without each other. Mike has his team - Bruce, Scott, Cowsill, Ike, etc. Brian has his team - Melinda, Al, Darian, Blondie. Brian fans should be thankful that @$$hole isn't with Mike.

Did you *seriously* refer to Brian as an asshole?! Well at least you’re open about your feelings about Brian now.
I misspoke - i meant the one and only greatest asshole of all time, Mike Love.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2022, 06:31:47 PM »

The sad part is, I have always championed him on an artistic level and feel he’s unjustly maligned on that level. But when he belittles Brian publicly (for issues he contributed towards!) , or makes a tasteless LGBTQ joke before a song, for instance, it immediately overshadows that. He blames everyone else, but he is his own worst enemy. And I were Brian, I’d tell Mike what he can go do with that piano in that room.
I'm sure Brian has already done that. "Hey Michael, take that fucking piano and shove it up your ass!" But first Mike would have to get his head out of the way.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2022, 07:21:16 PM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to. Mike and Brian are better off without each other. Mike has his team - Bruce, Scott, Cowsill, Ike, etc. Brian has his team - Melinda, Al, Darian, Blondie. Brian fans should be thankful that @$$hole isn't with Mike.

Did you *seriously* refer to Brian as an asshole?! Well at least you’re open about your feelings about Brian now.
I misspoke - i meant the one and only greatest asshole of all time, Mike Love.

Got it. In all honesty from your recent posts it looked like you were trolling. Glad we’re on the same page. Course that’s the issue with online communication…intent isn’t always clear

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2022, 07:59:47 PM »

As much as I agree with the substance of the criticisms to Mike in this thread, I confess that I am starting to find the tones uncomfortable.
I am no "Mike Lover", of course, but still a fan of Mike the Beach Boy. We all know his shortcomings, nothing new under the sun of California. And he is 81. I think this thread has gone a bit overboard. Just my half cent.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 08:08:27 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »

On the other hand, HeyJude's "It's Brian did drugs o''clock" made me spill my coffee. Brilliant!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2022, 08:33:18 PM »

Defamation!  If I were Brian I’d call my attorney.

Didn’t Brian just finish a tour with Chicago?  Two albums out.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2022, 10:27:54 PM »

Defamation!  If I were Brian I’d call my attorney.

Didn’t Brian just finish a tour with Chicago?  Two albums out.
Yes. Brian just completed a hugely successful tour with Chicago; and this guy that according to Mike can't do much also recorded two brand new albums last year. When was the last time Mike Hate (cause that should be his name) recorded a new album? The asshole just goes around the country year after year singing songs written 60 years ago by his genius cousin.
"I wrote a number one song in 1988 called Kokomo".
No you didn't, you fucking asshole! John Phillips wrote the fucking song, maybe you should mention that once in awhile. And it wasn't your vocal that sold that song, it was the voice of another cousin of yours, Carl Wilson.
If it wasn't for Brian, Mike Hate would still be pumping gas.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2022, 02:44:05 AM »

On the other hand, HeyJude's "It's Brian did drugs o''clock" made me spill my coffee. Brilliant!

I gotta use that for a lyric. It's sure to sell a couple of copies in January! :D LOL

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2022, 06:03:27 AM »

Another cent: I think something should be added in the forum guidelines against excessive use of foul language, or some mechanism to prevent it. Particularly when it's aimed at one of the Beach Boys, even if meant as sarcastic.

The autotranslation into Portuguese was not a good idea, considering any Latin (like me) easily understands Portuguese. Thankfully, it seems it is not used any more, but there is nothing in its place.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 06:08:16 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2022, 07:25:47 AM »

70,000+ were killed by opioids last year in America. 80,000+ were killed by alcohol alone last year in America. Call the song whatever you want, but alcohol is a drug, and it's abuse does kill millions of people worldwide each year. Just because it's marketed and legal doesn't make it any less lethal than the drugs that Mike constantly crusades against (when it comes to Brian).

And with those statistics in mind, the repeated line "drink em down down drink em down" "Instead of Jack D, shoot some Cuervo. Mix up some rum" is promoting excessive drug use.

And to top it all off, it's just churlish to promote such a song when Dennis Wilson died due to his problems with alcohol.

Again, I'm not making up these statistics. I'm not "making something it's not". The lyrics are there, the facts are there.

You should consider a career in politics. You're reaching far too much. I agree alcohol is a dangerous drug but that song is still just a dumb ass party song.....nothing more and means nothing re:Dennis Wilson.

Dennis Wilson drank all day every day in his last years. Big difference than binge drinking at a party or whatever this song is talking about.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 01:01:12 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »

Locash?, more like lowclass song…

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »

You should consider a career in politics. You're reaching far too much. I agree alcohol is a dangerous drug but that song is still just a dumb ass party song.....nothing more and means nothing re:Dennis Wilson.

Dennis Wilson drank all day every day in his last years. Big difference than binge drinking at a party or whatever this song is talking about.

Look, I am really not trying to reach too far. If I am then I will concede my point. But logically in my mind, alcohol is a drug that leads to death for many people (whether or not your an alcoholic). I've had a good friend die because of drunk driving, I've seen it destroy families, I've seen more people die of the long-term effects of it. Billy shared his story above as well. And it's not really subjective when the numbers show 3 million people die of alcohol related incidents a year....be it drunk driving (which you don't need to be an alcoholic for), or fights that lead to deaths, or just alcoholism in general.

Again, my point is that if Mike is on some crusade to fight the evils of drugs, then he shouldn't be promoting/singing on a song that promotes the use of alcohol (a drug that you yourself admit is dangerous). Even if it is just a "dumb party song" - it is a song promoting the use of a drug that kills people.

I don't see the logic behind that being something akin to a political stunt. Sorry if you see it that way, and if you care to pick apart my logic I'd be happy to concede my point.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2022, 01:04:20 AM »

Mike and his Wine Coolers.

Interesting story. I was backstage at the Eugene, OR C50 show with my date. She slipped away and I went in search. Along the way I encountered each Beach Boy.  Brian was in a tour bus front passenger seat just chilling. Next I bumped into AL who was quite friendly. We talked about the upcoming box set and I begged for WIBNTLA.  Al said he didn’t remember the track but would check it out. Next, I bumped into David. He was super nice but was concerned about his guitar tone. Next I talked to Stan Love who I had played pickup basketball against a few summers at Redondo High (he kicked my butt).

I was directed into a  split dressing room where I found Bruce. We talked surfing and the attractiveness of my date, who he pointed out was in the adjoining room.  There I found her with Mike. There was a big stack of autographed tour programs and she excitedly showed me one Mike had given her. After a little small talk it was time to leave.

Not being a dummy, I asked Mike if I could have a program too. He said nope, opened his mini fridge and handed me a bottle of water. Most of the fridge was filled with wine coolers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 07:53:14 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »

Look, I am really not trying to reach too far. If I am then I will concede my point. But logically in my mind, alcohol is a drug that leads to death for many people (whether or not your an alcoholic). I've had a good friend die because of drunk driving, I've seen it destroy families, I've seen more people die of the long-term effects of it. Billy shared his story above as well. And it's not really subjective when the numbers show 3 million people die of alcohol related incidents a year....be it drunk driving (which you don't need to be an alcoholic for), or fights that lead to deaths, or just alcoholism in general.

Again, my point is that if Mike is on some crusade to fight the evils of drugs, then he shouldn't be promoting/singing on a song that promotes the use of alcohol (a drug that you yourself admit is dangerous). Even if it is just a "dumb party song" - it is a song promoting the use of a drug that kills people.

I don't see the logic behind that being something akin to a political stunt. Sorry if you see it that way, and if you care to pick apart my logic I'd be happy to concede my point.

Sorry to hear you have lost someone. There are a hell of a lot of songs out there about drinking/drugs and partying to excess. Do we condemn them all or just Mike Love associated ones?

Tbf I've already picked apart your logic and again you're doing what I referred to in my last post. As is the nature of the internet, we can continue to post endlessly but tbh I've yet to see you concede a point on this board so.....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:06:45 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2022, 12:44:25 PM »

Sorry to hear you have lost someone. There are a hell of a lot of songs out there about drinking/drugs and partying to excess. Do we condemn them all or just Mike Love associated ones?

Tbf I've already picked apart your logic and again you're doing what I referred to in my last post. As is the nature of the internet, we can continue to post endlessly but tbh I've yet to see you concede a point on this board so.....

It’s one thing for Motley Crüe to sing about getting wasted: they never claimed to be choirboys or any kind of role models. But Mike buddied up to Nancy “Just Say No” Reagan and routinely brings up his cousins’ histories of substance abuse. And then turns around and sings on a song about partying and drinking only because the song uses the hook to I Get Around and is called “Beach Boys”. If Mike never, ever said a word about Brian’s or anyone else’s drug abuse and still did this song, no one would care. Literally. You would get eye rolls, yes. But other than that, nothing. Whether it is fair or not, Mike makes himself an easy target when he does stuff like this.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2022, 12:53:53 PM »

It’s one thing for Motley Crüe to sing about getting wasted: they never claimed to be choirboys or any kind of role models. But Mike buddied up to Nancy “Just Say No” Reagan and routinely brings up his cousins’ histories of substance abuse. And then turns around and sings on a song about partying and drinking only because the song uses the hook to I Get Around and is called “Beach Boys”. If Mike never, ever said a word about Brian’s or anyone else’s drug abuse and still did this song, no one would care. Literally. You would get eye rolls, yes. But other than that, nothing. Whether it is fair or not, Mike makes himself an easy target when he does stuff like this.

Exactly

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2022, 01:33:06 PM »

But you haven’t picked apart my logic. To break it down to its simplest, I am saying that:

1) alcohol is a bad drug (and I have provided statistics/examples of this, you yourself have called it a dangerous drug)
2) promoting the use of alcohol (being it in advertisements, music, movies) can lead people to drink alcohol - that is the nature of ads, influence, and yes, even dumb spring break party songs (alcohol ads in America even all come with safety warnings)….this song in particular is literally telling people to “drink ‘em down down drink ‘em down” (ie it is promoting that people drink - and technically binge drink (something not harmless, according to the NIH and verified statistics).
3) people who publicly fight against the use of street drugs should also fight against the use of alcohol, as statistically alcohol is one of the biggest killers of human life as far as drugs go.
4) thus, Mike Love shouldn’t be singing on songs that promote the use of the drug. A few years ago Mike Love talked about how heroin use took the love and harmony out of The Beach Boys. And yet here Mike is promoting a drug that kills more people than heroin each year. I find that to be hypocritical.

Reading through our conversation you haven’t picked apart any of those points, or any association between the those points. Thus far, if I gather correctly, your argument is that the LoCash song is a harmless party song, and because other mainstream songs promote excessive drug use means that we shouldn’t look down on Mike Love for singing on and promoting one of these songs. The former point you haven’t proved what makes the promotion of alcohol in a party song “harmless” (alcohol is a dangerous drug, according to you, so how is it’s promotion in any form “harmless”?). And your latter point isn’t a valid argument (the saying “two wrongs don’t make a right” comes to mind).

One point I’d like to make, if it has any bearing on how strongly I feel about this topic, is that I am currently under the impression that Brian Wilson needed to approve LoCash’s use of the “I Get Around” theme. I could totally be wrong about that (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong). But something that one of the members of LoCash said (it had to do with them being surprised by getting approval from The Beach Boys) made me think that Brian would’ve had to approve the song. Point being, I’m currently just as annoyed at Brian as I am at Mike for this song being associated with The Beach Boys.

As for me not conceding any points on this forum, a lot of people here have either schooled me on facts or opinions (such as when I used to think Mike was the sole reason for Smile’s downfall, or when HeyJude didn’t hold back when I made the moronic statement that George Harrison wasn’t a good guitar player)…when I’m I’m wrong, and when people come to me with facts and logic I will absolutely concede to their knowledge and well-reasoned arguments. My opinions are not infallible.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »

But you haven’t picked apart my logic. To break it down to its simplest, I am saying that:

1) alcohol is a bad drug (and I have provided statistics/examples of this, you yourself have called it a dangerous drug)
2) promoting the use of alcohol (being it in advertisements, music, movies) can lead people to drink alcohol - that is the nature of ads, influence, and yes, even dumb spring break party songs (alcohol ads in America even all come with safety warnings)….this song in particular is literally telling people to “drink ‘em down down drink ‘em down” (ie it is promoting that people drink - and technically binge drink (something not harmless, according to the NIH and verified statistics).
3) people who publicly fight against the use of street drugs should also fight against the use of alcohol, as statistically alcohol is one of the biggest killers of human life as far as drugs go.
4) thus, Mike Love shouldn’t be singing on songs that promote the use of the drug. A few years ago Mike Love talked about how heroin use took the love and harmony out of The Beach Boys. And yet here Mike is promoting a drug that kills more people than heroin each year. I find that to be hypocritical.

Reading through our conversation you haven’t picked apart any of those points, or any association between the those points. Thus far, if I gather correctly, your argument is that the LoCash song is a harmless party song, and because other mainstream songs promote excessive drug use means that we shouldn’t look down on Mike Love for singing on and promoting one of these songs. The former point you haven’t proved what makes the promotion of alcohol in a party song “harmless” (alcohol is a dangerous drug, according to you, so how is it’s promotion in any form “harmless”?). And your latter point isn’t a valid argument (the saying “two wrongs don’t make a right” comes to mind).

One point I’d like to make, if it has any bearing on how strongly I feel about this topic, is that I am currently under the impression that Brian Wilson needed to approve LoCash’s use of the “I Get Around” theme. I could totally be wrong about that (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong). But something that one of the members of LoCash said (it had to do with them being surprised by getting approval from The Beach Boys) made me think that Brian would’ve had to approve the song. Point being, I’m currently just as annoyed at Brian as I am at Mike for this song being associated with The Beach Boys.

As for me not conceding any points on this forum, a lot of people here have either schooled me on facts or opinions (such as when I used to think Mike was the sole reason for Smile’s downfall, or when HeyJude didn’t hold back when I made the moronic statement that George Harrison wasn’t a good guitar player)…when I’m I’m wrong, and when people come to me with facts and logic I will absolutely concede to their knowledge and well-reasoned arguments. My opinions are not infallible.

Tbf I've already picked apart your logic and again you're doing what I referred to in my last post.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »

Is the issue then just about Mike being hypocritical re: his own behavior?  If so, I don't really care about that. The idea of it being a problem for Wilson's is a whole different thing. That's where the "reaching" comes in.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx