gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:06:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Revealing Interview  (Read 14213 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2022, 12:45:57 PM »

I mean, this person who supposedly doesn’t do a lot still released two records last year.

All you need to know about Mike is that for the entire C50 tour he watched crowds erupt in love and appreciation for Brian while he — the man who kept the touring ship afloat — stood by. And the instant those contractually obligated dates were done, Mike was gone.

He is bitterly jealous of Brian’s talent and the adoration of Brian’s audiences. He will sabotage himself willingly to keep poking at his cousin.

Which is all so pointless and ridiculous. Mike is talented too. His contributions are unarguable. Just … stop it already.

One of the biggest ironies in the C50 saga is that Mike has seemed to be annoyed by those who pined for the reunion to continue. Yet, wanting it to continue is a literal acknowledgment that Mike brought/brings something very important to the group.

If fans hated *his contribution to the group* as much as he may think they do, they wouldn't have cared about the reunion breaking up, because, especially once Al joined Brian's band, Brian's band was pretty close to the "Reunion Minus Mike and Bruce." No offense to Dave, who brought a lot to the reunion too.

But the post-2012 Brian tour was tantamount to a Mike-less reunion, and "No Pier Pressure" is to a degree a "That's Why God Made The Radio 2" without Mike and Bruce.

Fans wanted Mike too, and like you say, Mike has indeed been willing to sabotage himself to poke at Brian (and Melinda).
I think it's Melinda that Mike really has a problem with. But if Mike kept telling interviewers that he doesn't like Brian's wife, you guys would jump all over him for that, too.

I don't think it's particularly better or worse to dislike Melinda but not specify, versus saying outright. Mike's done both I suppose in various forms over the years.

Mike has for decades now been trying to blame Brian and judge him, and the only time he spares Brian is when it comes to the topic of Mike's relationship with Brian. There, it's much easier to blame anyone or everyone else and go on about all of the "getting Brian alone in a room" stuff. He never seems to even entertain the idea that Brian might not want to be with him (Mike) or do what Mike feels is best, or what he wants to do.

I actually try to empathize with Mike (and others), who I'm sure have weird and frustrating moments dealing with the machinery in and around Brian's life. That includes machinery that Brian chooses and needs, and also other stuff (e.g. Landy, as an obvious example) that he is subjected to.

But Mike has an idea about Brian in his head, and it's seemingly locked in at 1965 for the most part. Imagine if people did this to Mike. "Hey Mike, why don't YOU sing like you did in 1965?" "Why don't YOU write hit songs anymore?"

Mike still largely ignores the mental health aspect of Brian's story and life. I think people from that era should be cut some slack for not understanding all of this back *in* 1967. But a hundred years later, with a myriad of books and documentaries *clearly and plainly* explaining Brian's mental health issues (issues that pre-dated his drug abuse), Mike is either willfully ignoring all of this, or just choosing to harangue about the drug issue, because it's much easier to be judgmental about that.

I mean, they LITERALLY spell it out in text on screen in the "Long Promised Road" documentary, that Brian was having auditory hallucinations, etc. long before he abused drugs. I have no reason to believe Mike would bother to see the documentary. But whatever the deal is, he has no excuse any longer for being ignorant about it.

The vibe you get is that Mike thinks mental illness is kind of a bulls**t excuse.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:54:57 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2022, 01:49:32 PM »

Reading through the comments, I think it's fair to say that the general reaction is simply disgust at the utter pettiness and mean-spiritedness involved.   For some reason, it caused me to recall this quote from Murry Wilson's infamous "poison pen" letter from 1965:

"I am proud that my son, Dennis, reminded you all in front of Mike that I predicted he was trouble and would be disgracing all of us if he continued to go his way." 

Of course, Murry was no saint himself, and Mike was 24, I believe, when Murry made that statement about him.  And many young men in their 20s are "trouble" and conduct themselves less than honorably.   But what's actually pretty sad about ML is that at 81, he never really grew up.
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »

"And at any rate, this doesn't take away from the fact that Mike is asked "have you talked to Brian recently" and Mike's response is "No, he's not capable of doing much." Straight up implying that Brian burned his brains out on drugs so badly that he can't do something as simple as use a telephone or have a conversation."

From what I gather, other than the 2018 Sirius reunion, Brian and Mike haven't spoken since the end of C50. Assuming that is true, that means they are totally estranged, and that Brian has no interest in communicating with Mike, conceivably for the rest of their lives. I have a feeling that this is what drives Mike crazy, that he is cut off from Brian and can't do anything about it. Through all of Brian's problems in 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc., Mike was always able to speak to him when he wanted, to maintain some kind of relationship on his own terms, other than during the Landy period. So, instead of Mike admitting that Brian doesn't want to talk to him--which has probably become more prevalent since Melinda entered the picture--he portrays Brian as a mental vegetable who is too messed up to make any kind of intelligent choices. This allows Mike to escape any responsibility for their estrangement, since, in his view, Brian is too screwed up to have any legitimate ability to have real feelings--of dislike--toward Mike.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to. Mike and Brian are better off without each other. Mike has his team - Bruce, Scott, Cowsill, Ike, etc. Brian has his team - Melinda, Al, Darian, Blondie. Brian fans should be thankful that @$$hole isn't with Brian.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 06:19:49 PM by Lonely Summer » Logged
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2022, 06:59:47 PM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to. Mike and Brian are better off without each other. Mike has his team - Bruce, Scott, Cowsill, Ike, etc. Brian has his team - Melinda, Al, Darian, Blondie. Brian fans should be thankful that @$$hole isn't with Mike.

I wonder who the "***hole we should be thankful isn't with Mike" should be. Even Tom Hardy does not want to risk a guess.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 07:01:21 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2022, 07:16:23 PM »

However, talking strictly for myself my real beef is not with Mike himself. He has released highly questionable interviews since... well, ever. It's what he does. Getting upset about them is like getting upset when Brian answers yes and no, or Al spills the beans.
No, what never ceases to baffle me are the anti-Brian "Mike Lovers". Because, you see, Mike is just an individual... but a whole section of BB fandom so lost in a persistent decades-long delusion is food for a serious antropological study. No kidding.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 07:16:55 PM by Zenobi » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2022, 03:00:22 AM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to.

Probably due to all the praise he has given TM for the last 40+ years. Two of of the top three marketed benefits of TM are peace of mind and mental clarity - both of which seem to be completely nonexistent for Mike when he talks about modern-day Brian. And I've heard the line "just imagine Mike without TM" but how much truth is there in that? How much worse can it get than suing your cousin and his family for millions over a picture on a freebie CD? How much worse could it get than calling your cousin out publicly for bad things he did FORTY years ago? Regarding his relationship with Brian, Mike's got nowhere to go but up, and so I think it's fair for any decent person to hope and expect him to change for the better.

LS, in this thread you've said things like "you guys would be even more enraged" or "you guys would jump all over him for that, too" - I'm really curious, from your perspective, at what point is it acceptable to call out Mike's behavior?

Brian is an elderly man diagnosed with schizo-affective and manic depressive disorder; and his own cousin, in the last ten years, has negatively and publicly called out Brian's singing ability, Brian's weight, Brian's looks, Brian's history with substance abuse, Brian's supposed inability to do everyday tasks, Brian's music, Brian's wife, Brian's current prescription drug regimen.

Many fans that care about Brian do get logically enraged when they read this stuff in articles. What baffles me is that every time fans get enraged by these statements, you, Kreen, and the peanut gallery elsewhere rush to defend Mike with either one-liner drive-by sarcastic jabs, or these arguments that aren't based in any sort of reality. It's like if some Brian fans were to defend every last recorded second of Brian's career - it's not logical because there are some duds. Likewise, it's just not logical to defend every last word Mike says because sometimes he says things that are downright false or just plain crass.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »

That guy several years back in that Rolling Stone piece on Mike finally had the balls to ask Mike the million dollar question, asking him if TM is supposed to be so calming and is supposed to engender peacefulness, etc., then why has he seemed so riled up about some issues (e.g. songwriting issue DECADES after it was settled in his favor) and engaged in lawsuits, etc?

And Mike's answer was essentially that if he didn't meditate, it would be worse.

It's kind of both a cop out answer and an honest one, and I believe there's probably some truth to it. I do think, however inflammatory Mike still is in interviews, I would imagine TM as well as simply age taking its toll (to be sure, Mike seems to be in very good shape for his age, but there's going to be some level of slow down both physically and in terms of getting worked up about s**t) have dictated that what we've seen, especially in the recent era, as far as Mike being antagonistic or inflammatory, is probably the "Subdued" version.

Sadly, I think the fact that, as far as we know, there have at least been no lawsuits *between* any members of the band in the last decade-plus, is really the closest we can get to Mike chilling the f**k out and just doing his own thing.

I've long compared Mike to the stereotypical judgmental parent you see in movies or TV (and in real life often), who just CANNOT resist ALWAYS bringing up something negative. Simple questions about Brian that Mike could EASILY answer with all the praise/positive stuff without volunteering, unprompted, negative stuff about Brian, Mike simply can't help himself. He's GOTTA mention Brian did drugs. Just like the parent who, even when you do something right, or even if it has been 50 years, will still add "but........"

I have NO problem with Mike talking about all issues surrounding the band's history, including drug use. The viewpoint of the members who didn't abuse drugs, and who witnessed drugs and alcohol ruin lives, is important. I don't doubt Mike truly feels drugs and alcohol have taken a horrible toll. And he's not wrong! I feel that emotional speech he gave before the CalSaga show in 2012 about this showed genuine emotion on Mike's part. I think seeing all of that would absolutely cause trauma, even for Mike.

The problem is that he can't ever let it go, ever. You ask him the time of day, and he'll answer "Brian did drugs o'clock." And *that* is simply rude and disrespectful to all the people he harangues about it. He does the same thing about Carl and Dennis. It's just gross, and more than anything, really sad. Dennis and Carl are gone. Brian isn't doing drugs anymore. When has Mike recently pointed out how great it is that Brian's been off hard drugs for like 40 years?

Meanwhile Brian has never gone down the path of raising all of the ills of Mike Love's life. Even Al has gone pretty easy on Mike over the years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2022, 07:55:16 AM »

I have NO problem with Mike talking about all issues surrounding the band's history, including drug use. The viewpoint of the members who didn't abuse drugs, and who witnessed drugs and alcohol ruin lives, is important. I don't doubt Mike truly feels drugs and alcohol have taken a horrible toll. And he's not wrong! I feel that emotional speech he gave before the CalSaga show in 2012 about this showed genuine emotion on Mike's part. I think seeing all of that would absolutely cause trauma, even for Mike.

The contradiction comes into play when Mike currently promotes and performs a song with lyrics like this:

We oughta take the country to the beach boys
Trade that red dirt in for sand
Show 'em how we Tennessee boys
Catch a Jon boat buzz on a catamaran
And get a little bit of red on my redneck
Drop a lime in the bottom of a long neck
Find a boat that floats and get shipwrecked
With some local honey, mm
Let's take the country to the beach boys
I get around, 'round, get around, I get around
We'll drink 'em down, down, drink 'em down, we'll drink 'em down
You get around, 'round, get around, you get around
We'll drink 'em down, down, drink 'em down, we'll drink 'em down
Let's trade our ball caps in for sombreros
Instead of Jack D, shoot some Cuervo
Mix up some rum with some Kokomo
Blow all our money

And this which isn't performed but was promoted as a single:

Late last night I got an S. O. S.
The fairy tale girl's in deep in distress
She says I don't know where I am
But it's near Japan
My engine's all burned out
My crew has all bailed out
I don't know where I am
But it's somewhere near Japan
And she said "thank you dear"
I think she sounded quite sincere
And when she turned to go
She said "I crave adventure don't you know"
And now she's driftin' on some Chinese junk
Her world is spinning and her hope has sunk
So I close my eyes
And somewhere near Japan
The spinning stopped and the world stood still
I broke her fall and I always will
Strung out in no man's land
Somewhere near Japan
Rescue me

So the current one is celebrating binge drinking beer and hard liquor, and the older one is about a girl strung out and trying to score dope in Asia.

Talking the talk is one thing, but walking the walk? Why make money off of and promote songs and lyrics about the very things, substance abuse and addiction, that you're consistently railing against? That doesn't add up. If the trauma were that great, he might decline to sing lyrics glorifying binge drinking.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2022, 08:21:34 AM »

Good gravy, guys, what will the folk over at the Nearest Faraway Place start saying about us if we keep bashing "Mr. Positivity"??  3D

Sadly, Mike took the low road at a point in time when he could have earned nearly infinite points by showing even a eyedropper's worth of compassion for Brian's health issues. He could easily have set aside all of that nonsense about drugs (and avoided sounding like an endless tape loop of Nancy Reagan) by referencing Brian's current situation with some measurable trace of sympathy, and by noting that his group would add more "deep cuts" to their shows in order to "take up the slack."

He had a golden opportunity to access and transmit a healing moment. And, once again, he failed, utterly and abysmally.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »

Mike is an old zebra, he's not going to change his stripes this late in life.  I don't know why some of us expect him to. Mike and Brian are better off without each other. Mike has his team - Bruce, Scott, Cowsill, Ike, etc. Brian has his team - Melinda, Al, Darian, Blondie. Brian fans should be thankful that @$$hole isn't with Mike.

Did you *seriously* refer to Brian as an asshole?! Well at least you’re open about your feelings about Brian now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2022, 01:43:49 PM »

What baffles me is that every time fans get enraged by these statements, you, Kreen, and the peanut gallery elsewhere rush to defend Mike with either one-liner drive-by sarcastic jabs, or these arguments that aren't based in any sort of reality.

Honestly, it’s because those people are assholes. At least LS is open about it now. Not to throw politics in there but not so surprisingly many of those same people support a certain political party that believes in mocking the disabled, supports racism and homophobia (hell that’s why that piece of sh*t Mike’s Bitch was banned), and just a general hatred and disdain for anyone not like them.  So , of COURSE they’re going to defend Mike being a dick to Brian, because they think like that themselves.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2022, 03:59:01 AM »

Billy, that’s quite a political statement for someone not getting political.  To classify all conservatives the way you did is pretty biased.  I’m conservative but don’t support Mike Love or racism or ridiculing those with challenges, or those different than me.  I think Mike is a POS and have personal reasons for feeling that way. 
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2022, 05:11:03 AM »

As much as Mike can be a dick, I don't think any Wilson would have a problem with that crappy country party drinking song. No point looking for extra thing to bash Mike with, there's plenty already.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2022, 06:34:23 AM »

Billy, that’s quite a political statement for someone not getting political.  To classify all conservatives the way you did is pretty biased.  I’m conservative but don’t support Mike Love or racism or ridiculing those with challenges, or those different than me.  I think Mike is a POS and have personal reasons for feeling that way. 
Should’ve clarified the more extreme right , but in all fairness I was pretty steamed having dealt with that type of garbage in person yesterday, because some freaking idiot still thinks the civil rights movement hadn’t happened , and that my interracial marriage is an abomination 🙄. I wish more people where I live were like you. Unfortunately, nothing will ever change here and barring a minor miracle I won’t live long enough to move. Then I read that garbage by Lonely Dickface  and I lost it.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2022, 06:43:30 AM »

Think some folks are going just a tad overboard with Mike's admittedly glib comments.  Even if Brian stopped using heavy drugs 40 years ago that doesn't mean they didn't have some kind of permanent effect on his psyche or even physically.  At least that's how I took those comments.  The truth is there were a number of factors that affected Brian over the years besides drugs including mental illness and an abusive, narcissistic therapist among other things.  But yeah, even if Mike's comments could be perceived as insensitive, he's technically not exactly incorrect in his assessment.  And Mike has always been kind of an anti-drug guy anyway.  His comments on Brian remain consistent to that. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2022, 07:38:55 AM »

I would love it if just once someone brought up to Mike his own psychiatric incident in 1970, or how he was drunk off his ass during his hall of fame speech, or the fact Mike wasn’t exactly clean in the 60s to early 70s all the time either.  I absolutely despise people who act like they’re without faults while dogging others out. But hey, what’s basic human decency when you got all that money, right Mike? It seems like people like that go through life so damn easy, and the more you care about others vs yourself the more life kicks the sh*t out of you. I just don’t understand how Mike has no compassion , and if anything it seems like he’s enjoying seeing Brian not doing so well lately. If karma was a thing that applied to everyone , he’d be in for it.  But it doesn’t, so he’ll continue on badmouthing the cousin who was his meal ticket , and if he outlives him, will then cry fake tears talking about how much he “loved” Brian and blah blah blah room and piano blah blah blah. Unlike others, I dont hate Mike or wish ill on him , and in fact I pity him, to be that truly pathetic to actually hate one of the few decent people left in this shitty world .

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »

Think some folks are going just a tad overboard with Mike's admittedly glib comments.  Even if Brian stopped using heavy drugs 40 years ago that doesn't mean they didn't have some kind of permanent effect on his psyche or even physically.  At least that's how I took those comments.  The truth is there were a number of factors that affected Brian over the years besides drugs including mental illness and an abusive, narcissistic therapist among other things.  But yeah, even if Mike's comments could be perceived as insensitive, he's technically not exactly incorrect in his assessment.  And Mike has always been kind of an anti-drug guy anyway.  His comments on Brian remain consistent to that. 

My issue with Mike when he talks about Brian’s health is that he so damn judgmental. And often, he comes off like he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He makes these off-base “diagnoses” of someone that he hasn’t really spent a lot of time with since the early 80’s at best. He makes these comments about Brian’s health when he should be deferring to the people who do spend and have spent time with Brian. Like, you know, Brian’s wife. One of Brian’s oldest friends was with him for some of the 2012 tour.  Mike had the opportunity to talk to said friend about Brian’s physical and mental health which would have gone a long way toward have a better understanding of someone that he professes to love. But Mike sees these people as “interlopers”, I am sure. People keeping him and Brian from going back to 1964 when everything was seemingly simple (spoiler alert, Mike: being Brian Wilson was never simple). So, Mike did what Mike does and doesn’t engage. Odd that a guy who professes curiosity about TM and Eastern spirituality is so uncurious about Brian’s health. Does he look at his nephew Kevin, who has spoken publicly about his battle with depression, the same way he looks at Brian? Is everything all about bootstrap pulling?

The only thing I agree with Lonely Summer about is that Mike is not going to change at 81 years old. And that is a damn shame. If there is anyone who needs some evolution, it’s Mike Love.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2022, 09:14:00 AM »

I mean, I don't think anyone is wrong in stating that drugs had an effect on Brian. Brian has stated this himself, probably on many occasions.

The part that is irritating to people is that Mike brings it up nearly every time he is asked about Brian. I mean, the response to "Have you talked to Brian recently?" shouldn't elicit some judgmental anti-drug diatribe from a guy who spent all summer promoting a song that celebrates binge drinking. It's hypocritical, it is crass, and he is downright insulting when he says that Brian is "not capable of doing much"... I don't know what Brian's usual life is like, but I'd imagine it's a bit more bustling than your average 80 year old...And more to the point, Mike complains about not seeing Brian, not talking to Brian, so how would Mike even know what Brian is like in his day-to-day?

With all that in mind I don't think anyone went overboard in their criticism. Again, if Mike were on some crusade to fight drug abuse, he shouldn't be singing on songs promoting binge drinking (which causes 3 million deaths per year). But that just goes to show how full of it he is: it's not about promoting the evils of substance abuse, it's about getting one more public & useless jab in at Brian.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »

Should’ve clarified the more extreme right , but in all fairness I was pretty steamed having dealt with that type of garbage in person yesterday, because some freaking idiot still thinks the civil rights movement hadn’t happened , and that my interracial marriage is an abomination 🙄. I wish more people where I live were like you. Unfortunately, nothing will ever change here and barring a minor miracle I won’t live long enough to move. Then I read that garbage by Lonely Dickface  and I lost it.

I have truly known racists from both parties. And I've also known very upstanding/moral people from both parties. All the division that has arisen from the recent political culture is just so sad - people from both sides can get really nasty about people they don't agree with, especially making generalizations that only stoke the fires of division. There is a great sermon by Martin Luther King jr that I implore everyone to read, it's called "A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart" (it's from his Strength To Love book), and it shows just how important it is to understand those who are ignorant and how to fight that ignorance not with hate but with love and intelligence. It's a sermon that I think people from both sides of the aisle could learn so much from. It's something I read from time to time to keep things in perspective. And it's honestly a viewpoint I should probably carry over to my rather harsh/negative outlook on Mike Love.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »

As much as Mike can be a dick, I don't think any Wilson would have a problem with that crappy country party drinking song. No point looking for extra thing to bash Mike with, there's plenty already.

While sadly I don't think it's as clear cut obvious that like *every* other member of the band would 100% have not been involved with that Locash track, I'd offer two points:

One, I'm pretty sure it's quite possible if not probably that many wouldn't. I think it's a reach to think that Dennis or Carl or Brian would have thought that Locash thing was a quality track. Let's remember that even *while* he was in the band, Dennis tried to usually stay away from that disco "Here Comes the Night". I think they made him stay on stage and do "percussion" on it that one time they did the song on "Midnight Special"; but clearly he didn't even endorse every *Beach Boys* song *while* he was active in the band. Let's also remember that the trademarked "Beach Boys" logo was removed from the Locash artwork, and was also removed from the sticker on some versions of Mike's "Unleash the Love." *Somebody* is looking out for the name.

Secondly, a salient point is that if the band had *stayed together* and was an active group creating *new* music, they likely wouldn't have time or need to do the "Locash" track. The Status Quo thing in 1996 was bad enough, but the guys weren't exactly busying writing and recording "Sunflower 2" at the time.

The topical nature of the Locash track being weird/ironic/disrespectful in relation to the many ills that alcohol caused the band over the years is absolutely something worth raising as as issue.

Separate from that, it's a truly awful, awful track. It's not good. At all. Yes, seemingly the same fans that think Mike's "Rockaway Beach" and John Stamos singing Beach Boys songs is also "just fine" probably also don't have a problem with the Locash track.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »

With all that in mind I don't think anyone went overboard in their criticism. Again, if Mike were on some crusade to fight drug abuse, he shouldn't be singing on songs promoting binge drinking (which causes 3 million deaths per year). But that just goes to show how full of it he is: it's not about promoting the evils of substance abuse, it's about getting one more public & useless jab in at Brian.

One of Mike's youngest kids has an instagram page that depicts and/or suggests participation in binge drinking, cigarette smoking, cannabis use etc.    If ML were really all about the perils of substance abuse, he might do well to talk about its *current* relationship to his own immediate family.    But, no, did you know that Cousin Brian snorted heroin in 1974??  Did you know that Cousin Brian did coke back stage at the Circle Star in 1980???

It should be obvious to one and all that ML's commentary about Brian and drugs is about nothing more than taking gratuitous shots at a man for whom he has very deep-seated resentments.  Mike clearly some real, unresolved hangups and grudges that he's been carrying for decades, perhaps even since childhood. It's sad that at 81 he's still far from getting over it.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2022, 01:29:02 PM »

While sadly I don't think it's as clear cut obvious that like *every* other member of the band would 100% have not been involved with that Locash track, I'd offer two points:

One, I'm pretty sure it's quite possible if not probably that many wouldn't. I think it's a reach to think that Dennis or Carl or Brian would have thought that Locash thing was a quality track. Let's remember that even *while* he was in the band, Dennis tried to usually stay away from that disco "Here Comes the Night". I think they made him stay on stage and do "percussion" on it that one time they did the song on "Midnight Special"; but clearly he didn't even endorse every *Beach Boys* song *while* he was active in the band. Let's also remember that the trademarked "Beach Boys" logo was removed from the Locash artwork, and was also removed from the sticker on some versions of Mike's "Unleash the Love." *Somebody* is looking out for the name.

Secondly, a salient point is that if the band had *stayed together* and was an active group creating *new* music, they likely wouldn't have time or need to do the "Locash" track. The Status Quo thing in 1996 was bad enough, but the guys weren't exactly busying writing and recording "Sunflower 2" at the time.

The topical nature of the Locash track being weird/ironic/disrespectful in relation to the many ills that alcohol caused the band over the years is absolutely something worth raising as as issue.

Separate from that, it's a truly awful, awful track. It's not good. At all. Yes, seemingly the same fans that think Mike's "Rockaway Beach" and John Stamos singing Beach Boys songs is also "just fine" probably also don't have a problem with the Locash track.

A quality track? read what I said. You think it's a reach? I never said they would like it. I don't agree about the "topical nature" point. That can never be 100% unless you were there.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »

Truth be told, I think Mike’s the second craziest person in the band, Bruce being first (anyone who’s seen his mood swings know exactly what I mean). I have a strong feeling that had he and Brian’s childhoods been switched, Mike would never have gotten out of a facility once admitted. The fact that he harbors such hatred and malice towards Brian shows what a sad, pathetic sh*t he’s become in his old age.

relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 01:50:54 PM »

The problem is that he can't ever let it go, ever. You ask him the time of day, and he'll answer "Brian did drugs o'clock." And *that* is simply rude and disrespectful to all the people he harangues about it. He does the same thing about Carl and Dennis. It's just gross, and more than anything, really sad. Dennis and Carl are gone. Brian isn't doing drugs anymore. When has Mike recently pointed out how great it is that Brian's been off hard drugs for like 40 years?

Meanwhile Brian has never gone down the path of raising all of the ills of Mike Love's life. Even Al has gone pretty easy on Mike over the years.

The truth is that Mike likely has no idea what Brian's life is like on a day to day basis. Except for 2018, they haven't spoken in a dedade, and it wasn't like they were close before then. Have Brian and Mike spent any significant time together, other than photo ops and that kind of thing, since Carl died? It sounds like they barely spoke even on C50. I think Brian checked out of Mike's life once Carl passed and the "real" BB's were essentially over.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx