gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:16:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dean Torrence & Friends / The Teammates: Twenty Years of Making Music 1965-1985  (Read 3225 times)
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2022, 01:07:49 PM »

I know most folks around here seem to be rather hot and cold on topics pertaining to Jan & Dean, but with enough crossover interest, and involvement from key players in The Beach Boys, I figure this merits at least a mention and platform for further discussion...

Dean Torrence
The Teammates: Twenty Years Of Making Music 1965-1985
Release date: October 14, 2022
Collection of Dean Torrence collaborations spanning 1965–1985, including previously unissued recordings, rare tracks, and alternate mixes.

“Dean has always been really upbeat, positive, fun-seeking and joy-projecting person on stage. He’s always about pleasing the audience, and I’ve always been very sympathetic to that as well. I think we had a commonality in our philosophy in performing and having a good time.”
—Mike Love

Dean Torrence’s The Teammates: Twenty Years Of Making Music 1965-1985 is a curated collection that traverses the decades of the various musical teams Torrence has captained. Whether it was in the producer’s chair, behind the microphone or putting together musical entities, Dean has done it all. This collection includes many of Dean’s rare collaborations with the likes of Mike Love, Jan Berry, Bruce Johnston, Harry Nilsson, and Leon Russell.

Teaming with The Beach Boys/Jan & Dean historian David Beard (also editor/publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly), Torrence raided his vaults and discovered previously unreleased recordings from 1965–1985. Beginning with the ultra-rare single of “Summertime, Summertime” by Our Gang (never available on CD and taken from the original 2-track master), this collection is a treasure trove of rarities and previously unheard music. There are alternate recordings by Jan & Dean, never before heard music from 1973 by Terry Melcher, Bruce Johnston & Torrence, and a slew of rare tracks by Mike (Love of The Beach Boys) & Dean from the early ’80s that has never been made available on CD or digitally until now!

Omnivore Recordings is proud to continue its association with Dean Torrence on this exciting and rare compilation of historical music from one of the early progenitors of rock ’n’ roll. The Teammates: Twenty Years Of Making Music 1965-1985 also offers extensive liner notes by Torrence, a track-by-track conversation with David Beard on the album’s contents and a forward by longtime Jan & Dean associate, and entertainment executive Winston Simone.

“It was important to us that we offer the fan something different and special, and Dean dug right in. This collection is about friendship, buddies… teammates. This was a true team effort.”
—David Beard

CD / DIGITAL TRACK LIST:
BUY OUR ALBUM – The Legendary Masked Surfers
SUMMERTIME, SUMMERTIME – Our Gang
THE THEME FROM LEON’S GARAGE – Our Gang
LOUISIANA MAN – Jan & Dean
SNOWFLAKES ON LAUGHING GRAVY’S WHISKERS – The Laughing Gravy
VEGETABLES (Alternate Mix) – The Laughing Gravy
MOVING DAY – Locksley Hall
IT’S A BEAUTIFUL DAY – Hogfat Cantina Singers & Bel Air Bandits
JUST KEEP IT UP – Terry Melcher, Bruce Johnston, Dean Torrence
LOVE LACE – Terry Melcher, Bruce Johnston, Dean Torrence
A TEENAGER IN LOVE – Dean Torrence
I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU – Dean Torrence
GET A JOB – Dean Torrence
ONE SUMMER NIGHT – Dean Torrence
DEAD MAN’S CURVE (Dr. Landy Version) – Dean Torrence
BE TRUE TO YOUR BUD (BUDWEISER FIGHT SONG) – Mike & Dean
LIGHTNIN’ STRIKES – Mike & Dean
HER BOYFRIEND’S BACK – Mike & Dean
ALLEY OOP – Mike & Dean
JINGLE BELL ROCK – Mike & Dean
RIDE THE WILD SURF – Flo & Eddie with Dean Torrence
ORDER OUR ALBUM – The Legendary Masked Surfers
FUN, FUN, FUN (Commercial) – Mike & Dean
Tracks 1, 4, 6–10, 15, 21–23 previously unissued.

Cat: OV-504

Omnivore Recordings YouTube Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYBgA7ogaA

Omnivore Recordings Pre-Order: http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/teammates/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »

Finally, "Be True To Your Bud" in CD quality!

So it looks like we get a little hunk of "Rock and Roll City" on CD for the first time plus "Jingle Bell Rock."

Maybe this will spur Mike to finally remaster his Hyatt Regency jingles.....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 02:36:19 AM »

DEAD MAN’S CURVE (Dr. Landy Version) – Dean Torrence

What the….? 😱
Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 05:39:37 AM »

According to TOKENHIPPIE, commenting on the Vegetables single on 45cat.com (23rd Sep 2014) https://www.45cat.com/record/ww261, "Brian [Wilson] produced both sides and he is Laughing Gravy the one who wrote the B side". Looking forward to hearing this jaunty instrumental in better quality than the currently available YouTube upload.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:42:42 AM by Natural E » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:23:59 AM »

That Mike Love quote is a hoot.  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 09:01:05 AM »

Dean's production of "Louisiana Man" taking Jan's original track from before the accident and adding some overdubs) is fantastic. Imo better that Jan's version from "Carnivall of Sound". It's very much in style with Jan's "Norwegian Wood" production and others. Really, really good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »

I agree, Rocker, regarding Louisiana Man, excited to hear this new master.

And if you couldn't tell by my profile pic--- Man, oh man, am I excited !!!!

This is just what Dean (and J&D in the bigger picture) needs! It's what I've been saying needs to happen to David B, Dean himself, members of his band, etc ... So so happy the day has come where my fantasy big hope release is announced.

I'm such a huge Dean Torrence /J&D fan that this is just as exciting to me as Feel Flows. In the way that Sunshine Tom. & FF massively helped legitimize as an incredible creative force in their late60's-early 70's 'Prog Rock/Roots/LoFi era, I feel like this new "Teammates" package will help solidify Dean Torrence's legacy as a prolific solo artist/producer in his own right, a hell of singer (when he's trying and not trolling (rofl) ) and as all around unique, humorous, and visionary artist.

Dean was a genius and a visionary with Music Packaging & Graphics. Even from the early J&D days, he'd spot cool California locations, and have a long list of ideas and requests, to which Liberty gave in, as far as only what made economic sense at the time. That's why in an era of slapped together album covers, with cartoons of the band's faces, or them in ridiculous poses with adjectives or statements sprinkled all over the cover in a tacky way, J&D's 58-66 album covers shine so bright. The covers for We Go Together single (1960), J&D Take Linda Surfin (63, also my alltime fav album cover) Drag City LP (63), and Popsicle (66) all come to mind as super fresh and eye catching covers.  And of course, Dean would have his lengthy tenure (still going strong today) with his own graphics business, winning countless awards for his designs, including Grammys.

Which leads me to talk about the way this album is both packaged and presented. Instead of the marketing being centered around Dean being a solo artist, it seems he's taken a different route and I think I know why. Dean has said in interviews and onstage for years, and even to me personally, that he doesn't love being the frontman/star of the show. That wasn't really his intention as far back as The Barons days, and even in their hit years was satisfied being Robin to Jan's Batman. In concert, he doesn't like to sing all leads, he'd rather sing in the harmony stack where he's needed, or in his preference, to sing his original parts in the stack. He's never taken a guitar solo, just strums his surf rhythm guitar, sometimes audible, sometimes not even plugged in, depending on how silly he feels (sometimes he even plays a toy guitar) Point is--- he likes being a teammate (no pun intended) much more than a front man.

And since we know he's in charge of the packaging and promotion,  it would make perfect sense for it to emphasize the collaborative nature of his works, highlighting the allstar super-group lineup including but not limited to (Jan Berry, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Brian Wilson, Gary Zekley, VDP, The Honeys, Leon Russell, Terry Melcher, Flo & Eddie, John Cowsill, PapaDooRunRun, Adrian Baker, Harry Nilsson, The Beach Boys, Daryl Dragon, Jeff Foskett... and even Dr Landy , among many other celebrity and BBs/J&D touring legend cameos)

So excited for this album to come out!! Thank you David Beard & all the folks on Dean's team and at Omnivore. These new masters sound phenomenal (better than what we've been getting from the BBs camp TBH) and I couldn't be more thrilled that this is coming out. Can't wait to buy it, listen to it, and read the liners!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 10:33:05 AM »

I’m actually really happy this is getting released. Some cool California music history in here.

Dean's production of "Louisiana Man" taking Jan's original track from before the accident and adding some overdubs) is fantastic. Imo better that Jan's version from "Carnivall of Sound". It's very much in style with Jan's "Norwegian Wood" production and others. Really, really good.

I absolutely prefer the way Dean finished it over what got released on Carnival Of Sound. That’s one of the reasons why I’m glad this set is coming out.

I’m a bit busy right now but planning on commenting a bit more on this set later when I get time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:50:01 AM by Jim V. » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 09:08:43 PM »

So anyways, now that I have more time I have to admit that I'm kinda stunned Dean is getting a second "solo" compilation. Good for him. And of course I'll be happy to have digital copies of rare stuff like the Our Gang stuff and The Laughing Gravy b-side.

Also as I kinda mentioned elsewhere, I wonder if Mike or Bruce has been offered a deal to do a set like this on Omnivore. I think honestly those could be kinda worthwhile if done with care.

Dean was a genius and a visionary with Music Packaging & Graphics.

He's done some nice album art, but I think we throw around the word genius in the world these days just a bit too much. Am I wrong?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 07:19:44 AM »

Yeah, I think we’re allowed to say someone did something good without saying they’re a genius. I don’t mean this as a knock, and I know the term “genius” has a lot of baggage in the Brian/BB world, but “genius” has never come to mind when looking at Dean’s career.

As for Mike and Bruce, I don’t know how motivated Mike has been as far as being the prime motivator behind archival releases. Yes, he has at times offered support and shown interest in BB archival releases. But I don’t think he thinks a lot about his old catalog of solo material. I suppose if someone approached him with a set along the lines of this Dean set, maybe Mike would jump into action and gather stuff. But I would imagine there are also a ton of rights issues with some of the stuff, depending on what such a comp would look like. Despite my joke, if someone actually does want to release Mike’s Hyatt Regency jingles, I’m not even sure who would own that stuff. Hyatt Regency probably? Adrian Baker? I know Adrian Baker produced a lot of stuff for Mike.

And if we’re talking about the more substantive solo stuff like the two unreleased solo albums, or the “Celebration” stuff, I’m not sure who owns all of that. I suspect Mike owns most of all of that stuff, though I recall mention recently that Universal (I think?) has the rights to some of the “Almost Summer” stuff as it’s tied to their movie.

It’s strange; it isn’t surprising that Mike hasn’t been digging up and raising the profile on like “Country Love” stuff; but it’s pretty jaw-droppingly strange that he hasn’t tried to do *anything* with the song “Almost Summer”, which was not only a minor hit, but is exactly in the wheelhouse of stuff he likes to do to this day. That he hasn’t even added it to the setlist of his own shows is bizarre.

As for Bruce, he talked like probably over a decade ago about putting out some sort of solo CD of demos or something, but he seems to have literally ZERO motivation to do anything like that. It’s so low key that the few weird solo things that have ended up on weird compilations like his new version of “She Believes In Love Again”, and “Jingle Bells” (or some sort of Christmas song, I can’t recall for sure) have literally gone unnoticed by most fans.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 05:48:09 PM »

Dean's catalog goes much deeper than most people realize.  The amazing thing is that, after his first solo comp, and now the new one that'll be released this fall, there is still more material that could potentially be used for a third compilation!

Available material that hasn't been issued on the past two comp CDs that could be on a third...

60's "Rainy Day" sessions: 'Here Comes The Rain' , 'Pocket Full Of Rainbows' , 'When Sunny Gets Blue' , 'Raindrops' , 'Rain On The Roof' , 'Cryin In The Rain' , 'Rhythm Of The Rain'

70's sessions with PapaDooRunRun : 'Help Me Rhonda' , 'Fun Fun Fun' , 'Little Deuce Coupe' , 'Surf City' , 'Drag City' , 'The Little Old Lady From Pasadena' , 'Ride The Wild Surf' , 'Pipeline' , 'Surfin USA' , 'Sidewalk Surfin' , 'WipeOut' , 'I Get Around'

78 J&D Live @ KeystoneBerkley "authorized bootleg" (never seen official release) : 'SurfCity' , 'Help Me Rhonda' , 'DeadMan's Cuve' , 'The Little Old Lady From Pasadena' , 'Little Deuce Coupe' , 'ShutDown', 'Sidewalk Surfin' , 'Do You Wanna Dance' , 'Dance Dance Dance' , 'Good Vibrations' , 'California Girls' , 'I Get Around' , 'Fun Fun Fun' , 'China Grove' , 'Brown Sugar', '409' , 'Be True To Your School'

80's 'Silver Summer' sessions w Mike Love & Bel Air Bandits: 'Be True To Your School' , 'Surfin Safari' , 'Honolulu Lulu' , 'Ride The Wild Surf' , 'Surfin USA' , 'Drag City' , 'Little Deuce Coupe' , 'Shut Down' , 'Dead Man's Curve' , 'The Little Old Lady From Pasadena' , 'I Get Around', 'Fun Fun Fun' , 'Sunny Afternoon' , 'Indian Lake' , 'California Girls' , 'Surfer Girl', 'The New Girl In School'

90's w/ Mike, Bruce & Adrian: "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena", and anything else??

2000's 'live' recordings w Surf City Allstars: 'Do It Again', 'Fun, Fun, Fun' , 'Sidewalk Surfin' , 'Dance Dance Dance' , 'Drag City' , 'Surfin USA' , 'Help Me Rhonda' , 'Little Deuce Coupe' , 'Runaround Sue', 'California Girls', 'Surf City', 'I Can Hear Music', 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' , 'Good Vibrations' , 'Kokomo'

"I Get Surround" sessions w Surf City Allstars: 'I'll Surf Away' , 'Everybody's Down At The Beach' , 'More Than Yesterday', 'Discovery', 'Sloop John B', 'Over The Moon' , 'The Big Drop' , 'Surf City', 'California Sleepwalking' , 'Paulding Light' , 'The Little Old Lady From Pasadena' , 'Fastest In LA' , 'Apache'

2013 Bamboo Trading Club sessions: 'Tweet' , 'Star Of The Beach' , 'Drinkin In The Sunshine'

So yes, he re-recorded many songs over and over again, so the compilers could pick the best versions of repeated songs like 'Rhonda' or 'California Girls'. It could very to have a 65-85 album which comes out in October and also have an 85-2015 CD too. Could cover the majority of the music above.

Love that J&D's deep catalog is still getting explored and released, and that there are still plenty of fans to listen to  the new music.

We have have several exciting releases announced: Dean's new album Beatles' Revolver reissue, BBs 72/73 set --- Great time to be a fan of these iconic artists!

Keeping my fingers crossed for more archival releases from the likes of Mike Love, Bruce, Al, Phil Spector, Jan Berry, etc...

harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 04:37:06 AM »

According to TOKENHIPPIE, commenting on the Vegetables single on 45cat.com (23rd Sep 2014) https://www.45cat.com/record/ww261, "Brian [Wilson] produced both sides and he is Laughing Gravy the one who wrote the B side". Looking forward to hearing this jaunty instrumental in better quality than the currently available YouTube upload.
I'm pretty sure that the b-side (at least) was produced & arranged by Joe Osborne & Larry Knechtel; they're even credited with such on the label. I imagine they probably wrote it too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 04:37:57 AM by harveyw » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »

"Bamboo Trading Company" *outtakes*? Are you s***ting me?

I mean, whatever folks like, go for it. Truly not trying to s**t on this stuff for the sake of it. I'm just fascinated. Like, this is so niche inside of niche inside of niche. I'm all for Dean just opening his hard drive up for folks to download or stream everything. But I'd say that about anybody's anything.

But even if one is into the dregs of Dean archives, I'd go for like a thousand other things before I need reissue of limp "Surf City All Stars" live tracks (which only answer the question of what the leftovers of an early 2000s Mike or Al live show would sound like without *any* Beach Boys), or that gawdawful Bamboo Trading Company thing that took over *an entire issue* of ESQ for paying subscribers.

I even bought the friggin' Surf City All Stars thing that had Al on it. 

As I've mentioned, a hand full of tracks on this "Teammates" CD are of a bit of interest. Is Omnivore really not even getting this thing to Amazon?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 10:56:22 AM »

Where's Elora? If there's truly a market for this stuff, then she needs to talk Adrian Baker into putting out the full Adrian/Mike Anthology. I want every Hyatt Regency jingle, plus the outtakes, plus every alternate mix from every car dealership.

Elora
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 04:39:06 PM »

Where's Elora? If there's truly a market for this stuff, then she needs to talk Adrian Baker into putting out the full Adrian/Mike Anthology. I want every Hyatt Regency jingle, plus the outtakes, plus every alternate mix from every car dealership.

Finally, a post on this forum that makes sense! Wink
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 10:47:09 PM »

I gotta admit, sometimes I gotta check myself. I'm into minutiae when it comes to The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson. And that even extends to Mike and Bruce. I have copies of Unleash The Love, 12 Sides of Summer, Surfers' Pajama Party and Surfin' Around the World. I have a compilation of early Bruce material called Tough Themes. I have the Salute NASCAR album by Mike, Bruce and David. I have Mike and Bruce's Summertime Cruisin'. I even have the freaking Hot Doggers CD. If you know who that is, go get yourself a cookie as a reward.

Now I think anybody that's familiar with me on here knows that none of that is a brag. LOL

But I'm just proving I go pretty deep with my Beach Boys collection. And indeed I have listened to to parts of all of the above. And they sit there in my collection. And in fact I'd probably recommend Bruce's Surfer's Pajama Party and the Bruce & Terry tune "Don't Run Away" over most of Carl's solo work and some of Brian's solo work. But nonetheless, I probably have not every moment on those CDs, but yeah, I've gotten some enjoyment out of them. The point I'm making though is yeah, we can get pretty into this stuff, where you're so deep into this stuff you kinda forget that "God Only Knows" is sitting there right there in front of you to be listened to instead of "Camp California." Or the world of music of artists without a Beach Boys connection that is sitting out there. There has to be something better to listen to then Dean's 14th re-recording of "Surf City," right? Perhaps?

And about Jan & Dean, I'll admit I'm a little bit of a fan. I think truthfully you could probably fit all of their good stuff on probably a 20 song disc. They didn't make good albums and even their best stuff couldn't really come close to The Beach Boys. Even stuff like "Surf City" doesn't knock me out, even knowing it's a BW tune. But nonetheless, a good tune.

But I think what really attracts me to Jan & Dean is the story. Jan coming back from the accident and trying to make music again. But the same old problem creeps up. The music, both before and after the accident, just wasn't anything super special. Jan did some nice things in the late '60s and the '70s, but none of it would be stuff I'd rush to tell a friend about: "hey man, did you hear what Jan from Jan & Dean was doing in the '70s?"

And as far as the "what might have been" thing with Jan? First of all, dude was a Vietnam War supporter studying to be a doctor before the accident. And musically he was cutting tracks for "Yakety Yak" and "In the Still of the Night." This was not a guy who was gonna be anywhere close to what the public wanted to hear in the next few years. He also had the very good "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" in gestation pre-accident as well, but the facts are....it's hard to see how Jan & Dean would've fit into the late '60s.

Now with Dean, he's even lesser then Jan musically. The only real artistic statement he ever made was with Save For A Rainy Day, which I will admit is a pretty cute little record, showing a grown-up side we didn't see much of from Jan & Dean. Which I must admit is odd, as Dean seemed to not be a fan of stuff like the relatively "more mature" Jan & Dean material like "You Really Know How to Hurt a Guy" and stuff like that.

But yeah, besides that album, the Our Gang stuff and the Laughing Gravy stuff it pretty much seemed that any new Dean Torrence music after like 1967 seemed to focused on either recapturing old glories or just straight up doing re-recordings. In fact I don't think I'm going far out on a limb to say that his music career wasn't exactly the most important thing to him after, say, 1968. So to look for outtakes from a guy who don't even seem to care much about his own music isn't exactly the type of thing that is gonna leave me scouring the interwebs to find clues. But if that's your thing, God bless you. I hope you enjoy it!

I'll just say, sometimes I do catch myself feeling goofy listening to horrible out of tune Beatles rehearsals from the Let It Be era, or getting excited that I get to hear part of The Beach Boys masterpiece "11th Bar Blues" after all these years. And these are works from all-time greats. To hear floor scrapings from Dean,  or Miami Ron from the Trading Company? That's a bridge too far. But as I said, if you dig it, God bless you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:15:03 AM by Jim V. » Logged
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »

Without getting into debates about one's feelings on the material or the inevitable comparisons to contemporaries that are more highly regarded, I for one am certainly far more interested in the release of some of these mid-late 60s gems. The latter-era remakes are (hopefully) fun at best and harmless at worst, and in this case (still wondering WTF "Dr. Landy Version" could possibly mean??) potentially somewhat enlightening. Though perhaps it will only create more questions...

On a release like this I am glad to see Dean's version of "Louisiana Man" get reissued; I would love to see a release of all his productions, not only J&D but also including the 1964 Gary Zekely single he produced, "Other Towns, Other Girls"/"When I Go to Sleep" (the A-Side would sound in place right alongside any track from the B-Side of 'The Beach Boys Today!' in my opinion) and ALL of the early-mid 70s Legendary Masked Surfers songs (I think two singles comprising remakes of three songs?) and of course the 1975 version of "Sidewalk Surfin'" is worth inclusion. I do think getting into the late-70s and 80s remakes is largely unnecessary (though I admit to loving the 80s 'Silver Summer' remake of "Summer Rain").

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any: Dean Torrence is credited with composition on both sides of the 45 "Look Around You"/"Happy Human People" by a group called Black Society, signed to STAX records. So my first thought is it must be a different guy with a same name, but (an often reliable, though not infallible database,) disocgs links to Dean-O's artist page. I've never seen/heard him talk about it and it seems so left-field for him, especially in that time-period. The A-Side is available on YouTube, and it's not tooooooo much of a stretch compositionally to imagine Dean being involved (upbeat, vaguely soulful sunshine vibe-kinda song), but I dunno... Does anyone have any info? The B-Side is not online to my knowledge... Again, a release like this is the kind of place that material like that could ideally potentially be highlighted and given explanation if there is some actual connection.

Discogs link: https://www.discogs.com/release/6828167-Black-Society-Look-Around-You-Happy-Human-People

Black Society - "Look Around You" YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-LWLn2jKM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 07:03:09 PM by FreakySmiley » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »

Neat find!! That 'Look Around You' does actually sound like something Dean could've written and I can definitely picture him singing it too. I might be imagining things but I kinda feel like I can hear him in the background vocals
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »

Without getting into debates about one's feelings on the material or the inevitable comparisons to contemporaries that are more highly regarded, I for one am certainly far more interested in the release of some of these mid-late 60s gems. The latter-era remakes are (hopefully) fun at best and harmless at worst, and in this case (still wondering WTF "Dr. Landy Version" could possibly mean??) potentially somewhat enlightening. Though perhaps it will only create more questions...

On a release like this I am glad to see Dean's version of "Louisiana Man" get reissued; I would love to see a release of all his productions, not only J&D but also including the 1964 Gary Zekely single he produced, "Other Towns, Other Girls"/"When I Go to Sleep" (the A-Side would sound in place right alongside any track from the B-Side of 'The Beach Boys Today!' in my opinion) and ALL of the early-mid 70s Legendary Masked Surfers songs (I think two singles comprising remakes of three songs?) and of course the 1975 version of "Sidewalk Surfin'" is worth inclusion. I do think getting into the late-70s and 80s remakes is largely unnecessary (though I admit to loving the 80s 'Silver Summer' remake of "Summer Rain").

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any: Dean Torrence is credited with composition on both sides of the 45 "Look Around You"/"Happy Human People" by a group called Black Society, signed to STAX records. So my first thought is it must be a different guy with a same name, but (an often reliable, though not infallible database,) disocgs links to Dean-O's artist page. I've never seen/heard him talk about it and it seems so left-field for him, especially in that time-period. The A-Side is available on YouTube, and it's not tooooooo much of a stretch compositionally to imagine Dean being involved (upbeat, vaguely soulful sunshine vibe-kinda song), but I dunno... Does anyone have any info? The B-Side is not online to my knowledge... Again, a release like this is the kind of place that material like that could ideally potentially be highlighted and given explanation if there is some actual connection.

Discogs link: https://www.discogs.com/release/6828167-Black-Society-Look-Around-You-Happy-Human-People

Black Society - "Look Around You" YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-LWLn2jKM

The youtube link credits "Dane Torrence" as lyricist. So I guess someone mixed this up. Doesn't sound like something Dean was involved with imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 09:22:25 AM »

Very excited to see those four Doo Wop covers from the soundtrack of Deadman's Curve finally see commercial release after 44 years.
GET A JOB and ONE SUMMER NIGHT are great fun.
In my opinion, I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU and TEENAGER IN LOVE are two of the finest solo tracks Dean ever cut - up there with both the 1966 and 1978 versions of LIKE A SUMMER RAIN (take your pick). I'm a huge Dion fan but Dean's cover is my personal favorite over the original.  
As for Eyes, I know Dean is very proud of that one and he's usually pretty self-deprecating about this stuff.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:07:11 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 05:09:54 PM »

The radio show Catching a Wave with Jammin’ James Riley premiered two songs from Teammates—“Ride The Wild Surf” by Flo & Eddie with Dean Torrence and “Love Lace” by Terry Melcher, Bruce Johnston & Dean Torrence: http://catchingawaveradio.blogspot.com/2022/09/catching-wave-09-19-22.html

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx