gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:11:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kris Kristofferson - Live at Gilley's new release  (Read 520 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2022, 05:03:44 AM »

There's a new archive release on the horizon:

Recorded live on September 15, 1981, Live At Gilley’s captures Kris Kristofferson at a time in his career where he and his band were firing on all cylinders. Kristofferson was with a full band out on the road that featured Stephen Bruton, Donnie Fritts and Billy Swan. On this night, the band stopped by Gilley’s Honkytonk in Pasadena, Texas to deliver a once in a lifetime performance featuring the hits, “Me And Bobby McGee”, “The Pilgrim” and “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down.”

“What a great album this is! Classic Kristofferson songs throughout, and live!! Kris was in his prime and his vocals were outstanding and very soulful as always.” - George Strait

“Kris Kristofferson was such an amazing songwriter, a great performer, and was a good match for our crowd. It was totally jam-packed every night, but we’d have an especially big crowd whenever an artist like Kris would come to town.” - Mickey Gilley

TRACKLIST:

Me And Bobby McGee
    Here Comes That Rainbow Again
    Casey’s Last Ride
    You Show Me Yours (And I’ll Show You Mine) / Stranger
    Nobody Loves Anybody Anymore
    Darby’s Castle
    If It’s All The Same To You
    The Pilgrim
    For The Good Times
    Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down
    The Silver Tongued Devil And I
    Smile At Me Again
    Same Old Song
    Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again)
    Why Me

https://newwestrecords.com/products/kris-kristofferson-live-gilleys-pasadena-tx-september-15-1981-cd

MAGNET Exclusive: Premiere Of Kris Kristofferson’s “The Pilgrim” (Live At Gilley’s, 1981)

Kris Kristofferson was at a tipping point in September 1981. He was still feeling the effects of his divorce from Rita Coolidge in 1979, shaking off the 1980 cinematic disaster that was Heaven’s Gate and coming off a pair of albums (1979’s Shake Hands With The Devil and To The Bone, released in early 1981) that didn’t exactly set the world on fire. So you could say Kristofferson had something to prove when he took the stage on September 15 at Gilley’s, the large-than-life honky tonk immortalized in the 1980 film Urban Cowboy.

You feel that last-ditch energy on Live At Gilley’s—Pasadena, TX: September 15th, 1981 (New West), a recently unearthed 15-song document of the final date of Kristofferson’s 1981 tour, due out September 2. “Pilgrim” is among the classics given the rough-and-tumble treatment here by Kristofferson and his rock-solid backup band.

“Gilley’s could hold several thousand people, but the club was very intimate,” says the late Mickey Gilley in the liner notes, written three months before his death this past May. “You were right there on the stage with people all around you. We got some acts that made me think, ‘Are you kidding me?’ Kris Kristofferson was one of those artists that I didn’t think would want to play Gilley’s, because he was such a big name and a tremendous talent.”

MAGNET is proud to premiere this live version of “Pilgrim.”

https://magnetmagazine.com/2022/08/25/magnet-exclusive-premiere-of-kris-kristoffersons-the-pilgrim-live-at-gilleys-1981/

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 05:04:58 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 10:54:21 AM »

Kris Kristofferson’s ‘Live from Gilley’s’ Will Transport You to 1981

https://outsider.com/entertainment/music/country-music/kris-kristofferson-live-gilleys-will-transport-you-1981/?fbclid=IwAR3V3cS_1q5_pJ4n9wM5ft7lsrSmSgg68ZH9r3GGqFrdIax6ytpwuRO5OuY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx