gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:39:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: April 21, 1963  (Read 1416 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2022, 07:38:49 PM »

Elora’s YouTube channel has uploaded a fascinating, rare clip – one I’ve never before seen.

According to Jim Murphy’s great book, “Becoming the Beach Boys 1961-1963”, it was shot on April 21, 1963.

https://youtu.be/PObRjMmD7mY
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:08:21 AM »

Fantastic! Never saw that before. I wonder how much more TV footage there is that hasn't been rereleased yet.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 01:36:56 PM »

It’s from the same Red Skelton show that we’ve known about for years but no one ever bothered to watch the full preserved hour long broadcast-with that small extra bit. Still pretty cool! By the way-Jim’s book is beyond awesome but my book with Jon is the first one to mention that date-as I uncovered the info when the paperwork (once owned by Dave M) came up for auction years ago
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 08:49:47 PM »

Ian – please accept my apology for not mentioning your incredible book as a date source as well.

It resides on my Beach Boys bookshelf right next to Jim’s. I can’t recommend it enough – a must have for every fan.

I do hope you're working on a 2nd edition, as you can count on an order from me!
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 08:52:44 PM »

Here is the full episode that Ian is referring to:

https://youtu.be/oAWzmZDit2c
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 01:03:01 AM »

It's interesting to me that a Beach Boys LP cost $2.50 in 1963.  Doesn't sound like much now, but considering what other things cost during the period, well, records were actually pretty damned expensive.  When a typical new car cost around $2,500, an LP was 1/1000th of that.  With new vehicles in 2022 averaging around $40K, 1/1000th would be $40.  No wonder the Boys were buying houses in Beverly Hills at age 23.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:03:56 AM by juggler » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx