gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:08:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petition to Get Still Cruisin and Summer In Paradise Reissued!  (Read 4849 times)
Giggens
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2022, 12:40:30 PM »

Hey everyone!  I haven’t posted here in years, but I do pop in and read sometimes!  Also, feel free to delete this thread if it’s against guidelines!

Long story short, I’ve started an online petition to get Still Cruisin and Summer In Paradise back in print with bonus tracks, or at least streaming online.  With the 60th anniversary here, a lot of new fans will be discovering the band and wanting to hear their entire discography.  These two albums have been out of print for 30 years and can be pricey when found used!  It just felt like this was the perfect time to complete their body of work online for everyone to enjoy!

Here’s the link if you want to sign and share!  We’ve got over 250 signatures already, which is awesome!  The post itself goes into much more detail!  https://chng.it/hhZJ9L2kQw

Thanks again, and take care!!
Giggens
Giggens
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 12:56:34 PM »

I'm all for getting everything in print, and I never turn down bonus tracks.

But it's tough, because Iconic/Brother are right in the middle of running through the early 70s as far as archival releases. I get it, I don't want to wait 20 more years for them to hit the 90s.

I suspect there's a reason "Summer in Paradise" has been more or less quietly "retired", not even making it into album artwork collages on the 50th anniversary tour.

Also, not to be a wet blanket, but some of the proposed bonus tracks for these albums are not owned by the label or BRI. "East Meets West" for sure seems to be owned by the Four Seasons Partnership. I think "Chasin' the Sky" may still be held by whatever label or movie studio put that one out. (Carl was even asked about that track back in 1989, and he mentioned at least back then it couldn't be licensed for the "Still Cruisin'" album). I'm wagering several of those other movie soundtrack songs are not owned by BRI.

I will gladly pick up reissues of anything, especially if they include bonus tracks. But I'd put reissues of these albums pretty low on the list of priorities. Considering they are *very* easy to track down on the secondary market, I'd much rather prioritize getting unreleased 70s material out, and then 80s.

An easy stopgap solution just to get everything "out there" would be to get albums currently unavailable for digital download or streaming back up on those sites, including these two albums as well as Brian's "Gettin' In Over My Head", and a few other things. It would take five minutes to dump those old CDs onto Spotify.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:57:26 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 10:03:40 PM »

Hey everyone!  I haven’t posted here in years, but I do pop in and read sometimes!  Also, feel free to delete this thread if it’s against guidelines!

Long story short, I’ve started an online petition to get Still Cruisin and Summer In Paradise back in print with bonus tracks, or at least streaming online.  With the 60th anniversary here, a lot of new fans will be discovering the band and wanting to hear their entire discography.  These two albums have been out of print for 30 years and can be pricey when found used!  It just felt like this was the perfect time to complete their body of work online for everyone to enjoy!

Here’s the link if you want to sign and share!  We’ve got over 250 signatures already, which is awesome!  The post itself goes into much more detail!  https://chng.it/hhZJ9L2kQw

Thanks again, and take care!!
Giggens
Giggens
Nice to see you here, Giggens. I signed the petition.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 04:06:45 AM »

I suspect there's a reason "Summer in Paradise" has been more or less quietly "retired", not even making it into album artwork collages on the 50th anniversary tour.
I can think of twelve.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 07:54:44 AM »

I can think of twelve.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL     w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 06:49:51 PM »

Signed!

I wouldn’t buy it, myself. But I don’t want to deprive anyone who actually want to buy this.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 06:26:30 AM »

These albums occupying a space in their catalogue would be a distraction from the actual music; counterproductive to the sheer effort put into restoring their image/working on their legacy, and from a sales point of view, deter prospective fans. It’s not a good idea, dude.

Think about how people get into new music. A lot tend to generalise based on a few listens, and with this music being so far what Pet Sounds, Smile, Friends, Surf’s Up etc. represent, they wouldn’t even imagine the band as capable of producing good/better music of that sort, and look for it, if they saw these albums initially.

Won’t bode well for sales, legacy, image, musical appreciation, or anything for that matter.

BTW, I’m a fan of yours, Giggens. Still, this is misguided.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:19:05 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »

It indeed really is, just in my opinion, a weird specific point in time, literally in between the "Feel Flows" set and the 72/73 set, to want to have like a strong "deluxe" push for two of their weakest albums (and I say this as a fan who bows to no one in my interest and fascination and enjoyment of their 80s stuff, including a lot of the new stuff on "Still Cruisin'"), from one of their most artistically challenged periods. Especially when the material is VERY EASY to track down on many different formats.

I still sense some younger fans don't fully grasp the full scope of the ups and downs of the band's success/image/perception, etc., and how the current work on the early 70s stuff is making strong strides to move the perception more away from Full House and Uncle Jessie and all of that.

As I mentioned, I don't think anything should be out of print, and I wouldn't be against just dropping these two albums back on digital platforms. 

But no, this is not the material that needs the attention of the casual fans looking at the next high profile Beach Boys archival release. Good luck to all, but yeah, this is I'd say a bit of a tone deaf moment to push for these specific items.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »

Anyone else remember hypehat’s SIP review?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 11:14:34 PM »

Some things are better left where they are.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 06:50:42 AM »

The ironic thing is that these albums desperately need remixing (and partial re-recording), yet they'd be the least likely to get the time and budget to do so (again, as we've long talked about, assuming the SIP stuff was saved to some sort of future-proof multi-track format).

There's no way to ever make SIP a *good* album, but just removing that awful snare drums sample used on *everything*, and either re-recording the drums or even re-triggering it with a different, less awful-sounding sample, would elevate the material at least so it doesn't grate on the ears.

But it was also interesting in Howie Edelson's recent interview, he mentioned talking with Alan Boyd about remixing, as an example, "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" to liberate it a bit from that 80s sound, and Boyd kind of mentioned that there's not a lot that can be done for some of that material to remove that element (my words, and I'm loosely paraphrasing another paraphrasing).

But some of that stuff could sound a bit better with just a fresh remix; something like "Still Cruisin'", which is basically the prototype for the SIP album in terms of the drum sample and the mixing. That mix sounds paper thin, so a remix boosting the bass and thickening the whole thing up would help.

But again, is there time and budget for this? Maybe eventually. But not now. Drop the old CDs on streaming if you must, but let's get the unreleased 70s and 80s stuff first.

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 09:23:26 AM »

While the material on Summer In Paradise is definitely not up to Brian's standards, the actual contents of the songs is in keeping with their earliest subject matters and does fit in thematically with what casual fans associate the band with. Most casual fans don't care about Pet Sounds, Friends, Sunflower, etc.

I'm also not a fan of revisionism. If the group is to be celebrated, they should be wholly celebrated, warts and all.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 10:47:52 AM »

While the material on Summer In Paradise is definitely not up to Brian's standards, the actual contents of the songs is in keeping with their earliest subject matters and does fit in thematically with what casual fans associate the band with. Most casual fans don't care about Pet Sounds, Friends, Sunflower, etc.

I'm also not a fan of revisionism. If the group is to be celebrated, they should be wholly celebrated, warts and all.

While I think the various "Sounds of Summer" discussions online have delved perhaps *too* deeply into the topic of getting young/casual fans to listen to the deeper cuts, etc., I think the point here is that there is a concerted effort (e.g. FEEL FLOWS) to get people to change their "perception" of the band.

Also, "Pet Sounds" is pretty mainstream these days. It's not like some curio for hardcore fans. It never was. It has several of their most popular songs on it.

The new "Sounds of Summer" revamp is the perfect way to sort of temper the casual fan from the "surf/summer, etc." stuff into deeper stuff.

Doing an actual PUSH for "Summer in Paradise" right now would be ridiculous. I feel weird even having to explain that. It's not the subject matter even. It's not good music. Yes, I've typed a million times some variation of "Well, 'Lahaina Aloha' and 'Strange Things Happen' aren't that bad." But it's their worst album, by leaps and bounds. If you only ever wanted to simply reinforce the stereotypes casual listeners feel about the Beach Boys, I'd just stick to the early stuff then. "Summer in Paradise" is a poorly recorded, poorly mixed, poorly produced presentation of mostly bad and occasionally okay music.

I can't speak to whether letting something go out of print is "revisionism", but as I've said, I wouldn't oppose keeping all the albums in print, or even just quietly dropping expanded versions, etc. But again, the idea of doing an active promotional push for "deluxe" versions of these albums is so beyond *missing the point* of what's happening right now with the catalog and the team working on stuff. It's like stopping Brian's "Smile" live show from 2004 in the middle, and playing everybody a few tracks off of "Looking Back With Love."

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »

While I think the various "Sounds of Summer" discussions online have delved perhaps *too* deeply into the topic of getting young/casual fans to listen to the deeper cuts, etc., I think the point here is that there is a concerted effort (e.g. FEEL FLOWS) to get people to change their "perception" of the band.

Also, "Pet Sounds" is pretty mainstream these days. It's not like some curio for hardcore fans. It never was. It has several of their most popular songs on it.

The new "Sounds of Summer" revamp is the perfect way to sort of temper the casual fan from the "surf/summer, etc." stuff into deeper stuff.

Doing an actual PUSH for "Summer in Paradise" right now would be ridiculous. I feel weird even having to explain that. It's not the subject matter even. It's not good music. Yes, I've typed a million times some variation of "Well, 'Lahaina Aloha' and 'Strange Things Happen' aren't that bad." But it's their worst album, by leaps and bounds. If you only ever wanted to simply reinforce the stereotypes casual listeners feel about the Beach Boys, I'd just stick to the early stuff then. "Summer in Paradise" is a poorly recorded, poorly mixed, poorly produced presentation of mostly bad and occasionally okay music.

I can't speak to whether letting something go out of print is "revisionism", but as I've said, I wouldn't oppose keeping all the albums in print, or even just quietly dropping expanded versions, etc. But again, the idea of doing an active promotional push for "deluxe" versions of these albums is so beyond *missing the point* of what's happening right now with the catalog and the team working on stuff. It's like stopping Brian's "Smile" live show from 2004 in the middle, and playing everybody a few tracks off of "Looking Back With Love."

I mean, as much as I enjoy the early stuff, I would argue that Surfin' Safari, Surfin' U.S.A., and a good chunk of Shut Down, Vol. 2 could be classified, while fun, as "not good," relative to not only the strong tracks on those albums, but certainly what we know comes after.

And, it kind of defeats the purpose of saying "look how multifaceted these guys are" when you literally hide any of their work.

Pet Sounds is a special case in their discography, though. As Bruce once put it, it is "one complete thought." I don't consider it being "mainstream" by casual fans being familiar with three songs from it. Its certainly not unknown, but its more widely known and appreciated by music aficionados than the fandom in general.

I'm not sure that letting something go out of print is revisionism, per se, but acting as if it never existed, officially, as was the case through C50, certainly is. I liken it to the constant requels that now dominate, especially the Halloween franchise, which as been reimagined once to remove the Cult of Thorn storyline, and more recently, to remove the entire brother/sister angle established in the original second movie. I take both, ignoring Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise and the Halloween reset to be extremely disingenuous to longtime fans, and a missed opportunity to easily educate new fans on the full history behind each.

Yes, I believe all of Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise are available in full in some way on Youtube, but that can't be relied on when they're constantly taking down copyrighted material.

I'm not for a MASSIVE push for these albums, as I'm a bigger fan of the albums currently getting attention, but quietly releasing or just putting them up on streaming services wouldn't really disrupt the current plans.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »

If we're going to suppress certain Beach Boys albums because they're not very good, then let's toss out 15 Big Ones, The Beach Boys Love You, MIU Album, and Keepin' the Summer Alive.
In an earlier time, some might have added Carl and the Passions to that list. Or even Smiley Smile.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »

If we're going to suppress certain Beach Boys albums because they're not very good, then let's toss out 15 Big Ones, The Beach Boys Love You, MIU Album, and Keepin' the Summer Alive.
In an earlier time, some might have added Carl and the Passions to that list. Or even Smiley Smile.

Hey, hey! Don't you touch my Love You!! Hahaha!

But, seriously, this is the best point that I've seen made on this entire thread.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 04:07:44 PM »

I signed and shared the petition. There is no good reason not to have these albums available to stream and purchase digitally.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 02:12:12 PM »

I mean, as much as I enjoy the early stuff, I would argue that Surfin' Safari, Surfin' U.S.A., and a good chunk of Shut Down, Vol. 2 could be classified, while fun, as "not good," relative to not only the strong tracks on those albums, but certainly what we know comes after.

And, it kind of defeats the purpose of saying "look how multifaceted these guys are" when you literally hide any of their work.

Pet Sounds is a special case in their discography, though. As Bruce once put it, it is "one complete thought." I don't consider it being "mainstream" by casual fans being familiar with three songs from it. Its certainly not unknown, but its more widely known and appreciated by music aficionados than the fandom in general.

I'm not sure that letting something go out of print is revisionism, per se, but acting as if it never existed, officially, as was the case through C50, certainly is. I liken it to the constant requels that now dominate, especially the Halloween franchise, which as been reimagined once to remove the Cult of Thorn storyline, and more recently, to remove the entire brother/sister angle established in the original second movie. I take both, ignoring Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise and the Halloween reset to be extremely disingenuous to longtime fans, and a missed opportunity to easily educate new fans on the full history behind each.

Yes, I believe all of Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise are available in full in some way on Youtube, but that can't be relied on when they're constantly taking down copyrighted material.

I'm not for a MASSIVE push for these albums, as I'm a bigger fan of the albums currently getting attention, but quietly releasing or just putting them up on streaming services wouldn't really disrupt the current plans.

The idea behind lettting new and novice fans know how multifaceted the band was would be to expose them to the stuff you want to. If they don't know much about the catalog, they don't know anything is being "hidden" from them. For that matter, "multifaceted" (which isn't even the precise angle I'd pick to pitch, but let's go with it here) doesn't equate to "never released bad music."

You want someone who knows little about the band to know they did more complicated, nuanced material than "Fun Fun Fun"? You play them "Pet Sounds" and "Sunflower" (or whatever). You *don't* play them "Pet Sounds" *and* "Summer in Paradise."

If they dig the band enough, they'll find it *all*.

"Still Cruisin'" and "Summer in Paradise" have never been particularly "suppressed". The title track from SIP was on the "Made in California" set from 2013.

But I think we're mostly in agreement; I have no problem with everything being/staying in print. But the petition in question posits "deluxe" sets for both albums, which would require time and money and resources, and would certainly not be simply a case of quietly dumping them on to Spotify and digital retailers. It just struck me as a pretty tone deaf to what's going on with the band and catalog right now to pick *this moment* to push for that type of package for the two albums. And that's not getting into the unrealistic pitches involved (e.g. licensing all of those soundtrack songs).

I think the current catalog team could come up with a good way to present all of the material, including late 80s and early 90s. As I've mentioned, I don't want to wait 17 years to hear outtakes from 1989, so I understand we're not getting any younger. But I think the logical next steps would be to showcase the mid and late 70s next, which could happen in a variety of formats. From there, the 80s could be presented in a number of ways, and so on.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 12:21:02 PM »

Please no. Summer in Paradise and Stars & Stripes will only hurt the Beach Boys.

Still Cruisin is harmless but lame.

Count me out!

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

All due respect, HeyJude, I think you're really getting carried away and overstating things. I watched Giggens video about the petition and read the petition itself and I don't recall hearing or reading the word "deluxe" once. Nor did I get the sense that Giggens was demanding that these receive the same sort of promotional push that Feel Flows did. He just wants the albums to be available. Clearly, he'd like a physical release with bonus tracks, but he'd settle for at least getting them up on streaming (he says this numerous times in the video). You've stated in this thread that you're all for getting them up on digital platforms...so what's the problem? I like your idea of putting a little more effort in and quietly dropping expanded versions. There's no reason to put this off for years. You can work on and release other projects outside of the copyright extension archival realm. (Clearly, as they just spent a ton of time and effort dedicated to re-releasing a greatest hits compilation - which, if we're prioritizing projects here, I'm not sure should have been anywhere near the top.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:37:52 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2022, 07:42:18 PM »

All due respect, HeyJude, I think you're really getting carried away and overstating things. I watched Giggens video about the petition and read the petition itself and I don't recall hearing or reading the word "deluxe" once. Nor did I get the sense that Giggens was demanding that these receive the same sort of promotional push that Feel Flows did. He just wants the albums to be available. Clearly, he'd like a physical release with bonus tracks, but he'd settle for at least getting them up on streaming (he says this numerous times in the video). You've stated in this thread that you're all for getting them up on digital platforms...so what's the problem? I like your idea of putting a little more effort in and quietly dropping expanded versions. There's no reason to put this off for years. You can work on and release other projects outside of the copyright extension archival realm. (Clearly, as they just spent a ton of time and effort dedicated to re-releasing a greatest hits compilation - which, if we're prioritizing projects here, I'm not sure should have been anywhere near the top.)
Right on!  Cool
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 06:07:18 PM »

I can think of twelve.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2022, 06:49:51 AM »

For the record have either of these albums ever received any kind of remastering since their original release?  Other than the song "Kokomo" of course?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:50:48 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 09:34:02 AM »

For the record have either of these albums ever received any kind of remastering since their original release?  Other than the song "Kokomo" of course?

"Summer in Paradise" was revamped for UK release in 1993, with several tracks being remixed/re-edited.

Otherwise, I don't think they've been remastered. But remastering won't help much. All of SIP and much of "Still Cruisin'" have that very thin, drum-sample heavy Terry Melcher production sound.

As I mentioned in another post, Howie Edelson mentioned in a recent interview talking to Alan Boyd about trying to remix something like "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" to try to liberate it from so much of that heavy, processed 80s sound (my words), but he mentioned that Boyd said in some cases there's not a lot that even a remix would solve.

I sense this is the case for most of "Still Cruisin'" and especially SIP. They'd really need to kind of have a partial re-recording treatment done, sort of like Al did with "Loop de Loop" or Jeff Lynne did with some ELO bonus tracks over the last couple decades. And really, considering they can't be bothered to even keep the two albums in print, I can't fathom putting the time, effort, and funds into remixing, let alone partially re-recording this stuff, all to make it sound like 10% better if they're lucky.

As to the previous stuff regarding advocating for these albums, yes, I think few are against putting these things up quietly on streaming services. I think my points were more that advocating for these albums seems to imply a wider net needs to be cast to get people to listen to this stuff, and that's just kind of weird to me, or perhaps just connotes a weird priority from a fan perspective. I'm not for censoring anything. But I think there is kind of a procedural aspect to getting "new" stuff to "new" fans, and SIP is like the *absolute* bottom of that barrel. Especially considering it is *very easy* to procure and listen to "Still Cruisin'" and "Summer in Paradise."

I don't lose sleep over a true fan having to put in a little extra effort if they really want to listen to "Summer in Paradise." Both of the albums are easy to download, and if that's not one's proclivity, actual used CD copies are not that difficult to track down. I also don't lose sleep over someone that is *that* desperate to hear SIP having to pay $30 or $40 for a used copy (though the eBay prices seem to be all over the place, as low as $15 to $20).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:42:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »

I seem to recall “Make It Big” was remastered for a freebie UK compilation in the mid-2000s, but I totally forget the name of it!

Edit:  It was on “The Sound of Summer” from 2009, not to be confused with “Sounds of Summer” 😂 https://www.discogs.com/master/1565013-The-Beach-Boys-The-Sound-Of-Summer
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:19:24 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx