gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:27:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "A Friend Like You" 2022 Remix on Brian's Website  (Read 4280 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2022, 09:19:54 AM »

"A Friend Like You" - 2022 Remix

https://www.brianwilson.com/video

I like that it's different. There's more Paul vocal riffing in several spots. I like that the mix on the whole is stripped back a bit as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 09:29:03 AM »

That was pretty cool!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 06:32:11 AM »

This reminds me that, with the all due respect for Sir Paul, I'd still have Brian's "solo output" over that of Macca, and over everyone else's, really.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:33:49 AM by Zenobi » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »

Oh yeah, same here

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:46 AM »

I'm as big of a fan of Brian's solo output as can be, but no, I don't think I'd take most of Brian's solo output over McCartney's. In many cases, it's not even close.

Let's be clear: "A Friend Like You" is not a high water moment for either Brian or Paul. I like the chords, I like the sentiment of the song, and it's cool to hear them on a track together. But it's not Brian's best work. McCartney's vocals on the track are fine. He could have been used better vocally; I'd guess they didn't have a ton of time with him in the studio.

But yeah, if we're looking at Paul's entire catalog, or even just the concurrent 1988-present time frame, I don't think Brian's albums hold up nearly as well. Both made far from perfect, A+ albums, but I'll take "Flaming Pie" over "Imagination" any day, and I'll take "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" over "Gettin' In Over My Head" (and I seem to like GIOMH more than a lot of BB/Brian fans). McCartney's last few, especially "Egypt Station", were pretty weak. But I don't need to point out that Brian hasn't done much studio work past "No Pier Pressure." The "Long Promised Road" soundtrack is cool, but that's mostly old stuff. "At My Piano" is nice (McCartney had a slightly similar moment with his material on his "Working Classical" album in 1998).

There's obviously no need to pick one over the other, and I'm not sure how "A Friend Like You" would ever remind anybody that Brian's material is better than anybody else's, especially McCartney.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »

I think it just depends on what you’re looking for in your music. I love Brian’s harmonies, so while Imagination is kinda corny in places

(and I really can’t stress how annoying/devastating it is that Joe Thomas put awful nylon guitar on seemingly every second of that album….I mean seriously, you get to work with THE Brian Wilson and the 90s adult contemporary sound is what you go with? Reminds me of Kubrick making 2001 and opting to go with classical music rather than Pink Floyd because he didn’t want his movie to be dated to the 60s (which solidified that movie as a timeless classic). So, how on earth do you say “yes, this clearly to-be-dated 90s adult contemporary style is what Brian has been needing to do all these years.”? It’s interesting that the rest of Brian’s solo work isn’t really as dated as Imagination - okay, maybe BW88 but that album is just awesome so it’s forgivable. And the thing is I can totally dig South American - it is pure cheese but it fits Brian’s persona so well (in that it’s a quirky but fun song). So it’s not even really the songs themselves but that awful AC sound. But that nylon guitar needs to go. I know it will never happen, but they need to do a remix of Imagination and bury all that AC garbage. There is a great album tucked behind that mix somewhere. I know the powers that be won’t want to have Mark spend a couple weeks remixing the thing, but really what harm can it do? They’re probably worried Joe Thomas will sue them haha).

Anyways, rant over….so while Imagination is kinda corny in places, I could listen to Brian’s harmonies on that album any day over any solo Macca albums. But that being said, I totally get why people would love Macca solo albums over anything Brian has done in his solo career. Just different tastes. Thankfully it ain’t a competition. I’m glad both artists have stayed busy recording music well past the 1960s.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 06:02:18 PM »

I'm as big of a fan of Brian's solo output as can be, but no, I don't think I'd take most of Brian's solo output over McCartney's. In many cases, it's not even close.

Let's be clear: "A Friend Like You" is not a high water moment for either Brian or Paul. I like the chords, I like the sentiment of the song, and it's cool to hear them on a track together. But it's not Brian's best work. McCartney's vocals on the track are fine. He could have been used better vocally; I'd guess they didn't have a ton of time with him in the studio.

But yeah, if we're looking at Paul's entire catalog, or even just the concurrent 1988-present time frame, I don't think Brian's albums hold up nearly as well. Both made far from perfect, A+ albums, but I'll take "Flaming Pie" over "Imagination" any day, and I'll take "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" over "Gettin' In Over My Head" (and I seem to like GIOMH more than a lot of BB/Brian fans). McCartney's last few, especially "Egypt Station", were pretty weak. But I don't need to point out that Brian hasn't done much studio work past "No Pier Pressure." The "Long Promised Road" soundtrack is cool, but that's mostly old stuff. "At My Piano" is nice (McCartney had a slightly similar moment with his material on his "Working Classical" album in 1998).

There's obviously no need to pick one over the other, and I'm not sure how "A Friend Like You" would ever remind anybody that Brian's material is better than anybody else's, especially McCartney.

HeyJude, your preference is obvious, considering your nickname. Smiley
Tastes differ. I love Sir Paul myself.
On the other hand, I feel free of being reminded of Brian and Paul by a song by Brian and Paul...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:55:14 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »

Total agreement.  To even compare Brian's solo work to Paul's is pretty much an "apples and oranges" argument.  Paul's been doing the solo thing since 1970, has had many commercial and critical successes, and quite a few epic tours in stadiums. 

Brian on the other hand didn't even get his solo career going until the late 80's (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the scheme of things) and he has had nowhere near the successes Paul has had.  And no, that is not in any way a "knock" on Brian.  With perhaps the exception of the SMiLE remake, Brian's solo career has simply been far more lowkey than Paul's.  Although I enjoy most of his solo albums and think his return to touring (at least in the beginning anyway) was a personal triumph for him.

As for "A Friend Like You", this new remix is certainly interesting and it's nice to hear Paul's contributions a little more prominently.  But the song was never very good in the first place. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 06:55:07 AM »

HeyJude, your preference is obvious, considering your nickname. Smiley
Tastes differ. I love Sir Paul myself.
On the other hand, I feel free of being reminded of Brian and Paul by a song by Brian and Paul...

The name came first actually! I'd like to claim I was a BB and Beatles fan right out of the womb, and I guess I sort of was, but not really.

I get that the song makes one think of these guys and their links and their careers. I was only saying I don't think a middling track from the two should reflect particularly for better or worse on the *quality*, or *comparative quality*, of their catalogs. This is definitely not the song that makes me thing "Wow, I prefer Brian's solo albums to Paul's" (or vice versa). The track reminds me of that "Walk With You" track off whatever Ringo album that Paul was on (ironically, co-written by Van Dyke Parks!); it's a pretty anti-climactic collaboration. Though, "Walk With You" is actually truly bad, whereas "A Friend Like You" has some good stuff going for it.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 08:41:11 AM »

Awesoman, somebody prefers apples, somebody (like me) prefers oranges.
I could not care LESS about who has the more success. If success were my guiding light, I'd be a fan of Justin Bieber and C.
And no, I don't think preferring Brian makes me a music illiterate. Quite the contrary.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:45:03 AM by Zenobi » Logged
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 08:50:32 AM »

O.K. I'll admit it. As much as I completely disliked the remixes on the new Sounds of Summer, I really enjoyed this version. Although, I've always been one of the outlier fans of Gettin' In Over My Head.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »

This was really lovely. They improved on Mark’s 2004 mix.

Paul’s solo output as a whole is better than Brian’s, but I would put 88 and TLOS up there with Paul’s best post-Beatles work.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 10:03:21 AM »

I could not care LESS about who has the more success. If success were my guiding light, I'd be a fan of Justin Bieber and C.
And no, I don't think preferring Brian makes me a music illiterate. Quite the contrary.

Yeah, I don't think an artists' success and one's personal preference in music have anything to do with one another. I think the Beatles are the greatest band to ever come into this universe, however if left on a desert island I would 100% no doubt take The Beach Boys catalogue over the Beatles any day. Likewise, Paul has clearly had a better solo run than Brian (it's really not even a close comparison). However I'd listen to Imagination or the Disney album any day over anything McCartney has done. It's not a knock at McCartney, I just prefer Brian's music.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 10:38:36 AM »

One area where this often gets hung up is that I think you can like “Thing A” more than “Thing B”, but also say from a sort of objective/critical point of view, “Thing B” is stronger/better/more consistent, whatever.

I’ve run into a lot of Brian fans (and I’m not saying anybody here necessarily falls into this category) who have, let’s say, a pretty narrow, insular bubble of music they listen to. And it has to be pretty narrow for *me* to feel that way, because I’ve never considered myself someone with an epically wide-ranging taste in music.

Like the person a few years back that liked Brian’s take on “Wanderlust”, but refused to even listen to or make room for the *possibility* that McCartney’s original was good, let alone better (and of course it is, but Brian’s take is good and one of the only good tracks on that awful tribute album).

To me, Brian’s solo career is similar to the late era/most recent era of Paul’s solo career in that there are always some great things on the albums, but the days of front-to-back stunning albums are long gone. (I think Brian’s “Smile” is kind of its own thing, but certainly if we count that as just his “next album” in 2004, it’s by far his strongest front to back).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »

To me, Brian’s solo career is similar to the late era/most recent era of Paul’s solo career in that there are always some great things on the albums, but the days of front-to-back stunning albums are long gone. (I think Brian’s “Smile” is kind of its own thing, but certainly if we count that as just his “next album” in 2004, it’s by far his strongest front to back).

It's a shame that this is the case. I would argue that the Gershwin album is a front-to-back stunner (every song on there is a polished gem if you ask me)....but it's not really pure Brian solo material either.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 12:08:10 PM »

I think TLOS is front to back fabulous.
Loving Brian's "solo" work does not mean one is "insular", nor does it show bad taste in music. One can love John Coltrane, Indian classic music AND Brian (besides the Beach Boys, of course).
Every attempt to picture Brian's solo work as "objectively" subpar just annoys me. Say that you don't dig it so much, no problem. Objectively? No way.
According to several people, Smiley Smile is "objectively" a terrible album. Pity that for others it's a masterpiece.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:13:36 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 05:43:25 PM »

That's not at all the point I was making.  Of course whoever you prefer is entirely subjective regardless to their successes.  I wasn't suggesting otherwise.  I was looking at it from an objective standpoint that their commercial/critical successes aren't really a fair comparison due to how different their solo career paths went.   But whomever you prefer to listen to is entirely your own personal opinion.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:05:55 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »

Let’s talk about the remix. I’m amazed they did this!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 06:29:29 AM »

Let’s talk about the remix. I’m amazed they did this!

It sounds great to my ears. I only wish I had the original more readily available for comparison (my copy is stored somewhere on a hard drive). Really wish they'd remix the whole album and put it up for streaming or purchase on iTunes.

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 07:31:15 AM »

I like this one, though I'm generally not a fan at all of any of the Beach Boys' remixes. I'm a pretty staunch defender of the album, overall, but this song itself is not great. I always felt this was such a missed opportunity, and has always reminded me of the excitement around the news of a Chris Brown/Lil' Wayne collaboration and then we got... "Transform Ya" and it was just like "big oof."

But this mix gives it a little more energy and room to breathe and its awesome to hear Paul worked more and more prominently into the track.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 08:34:21 AM »

I think one of the downsides to GIOMH is that most of the songs on the album go on for 4+ minutes. Back in the 60s he'd make these 2-3 minute (closer to 2 minute) songs that were just the right length to keep you interested. I feel like if each song on GIOMH was chopped in half it would have a lot more appeal.

So this song, A Friend Like You, isn't a monumental sonic achievement, however it is kinda catchy - and I feel like if it clocked in at around 2 minutes it would be appreciated a lot more.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »

I fear that in this thread I was unconsciously trying to deflect the discussion away from "A Friend Like You".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 09:36:58 AM »

I think one of the downsides to GIOMH is that most of the songs on the album go on for 4+ minutes. Back in the 60s he'd make these 2-3 minute (closer to 2 minute) songs that were just the right length to keep you interested. I feel like if each song on GIOMH was chopped in half it would have a lot more appeal.

So this song, A Friend Like You, isn't a monumental sonic achievement, however it is kinda catchy - and I feel like if it clocked in at around 2 minutes it would be appreciated a lot more.

Man, this is a good point. Something that Joe Thomas picked up on, actually — both Imagination and NPP have some super short songs. The new soundtrack, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 02:18:56 PM »

I always maintained since 2004 that "A Friend Like You" has some good elements, but it was *vastly* overproduced/arranged. Way too many bells and whistles. Too many saxes and trumpets and all of that. It's slathered in way too much instrumentation. The original mix itself actually is okay, and doesn't sounds too muddy or cluttered considering how cluttered the instrumentation is.

I've said since back then that a remix could make the song much better. This new remix does strip it down *somewhat*. Not enough for my taste. But it's probably a better overall presentation of the song (though ironically a bit of the newly mixed-up McCartney vocal riffing sounds a bit awkward), and I think they even pushed up some additional Brian vocal stacks here and there as well.

A remix of the entire GIOMH album would certainly be interesting. I'll never get a Brian solo recording as dry and stripped-down as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:19:50 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »

I'm not sure how much cutting down the songs would help the GIOMH album. I think the main issues are that it's kind of "underwritten" and "overproduced." I remember hearing the "Cocaine" tape years prior and thinking "City Blues" would make a good track. My jaw hit the floor when they did it for the GIOMH album. But it's a mess. It's muddy and cluttered, Clapton's guitar wankery does it no favors. It's hard to tell how much the issue is the arrangement versus the mixing. I guess it's kind of both? A number of the songs on the album have this issue. And that's looking at the *good* compositions. Then separately, yes, some of the songs just aren't too hot.

But I remember liking it more than the majority of fans back in 2004!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx