gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And a place to live, Guess I'm gonna stay....Residences of The Beach Boys  (Read 2649 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »

I was curious on the various homes of the boys over the years. Brian, Mike and Dennis, are fairly traceable in terms of the spots they have lived, I'm a little vague on the others....

Bruce, pre Montecito, anyone know where he lived in and around LA? I'm especially interested in where he was living during the time Terry was at Cielo.

What year did Al move up to Big Sur? Was he familiar with the area, prior?

Carl's last residence was a rental, I believe? I always wondered about that, and whether he owned property at the time of his passing?

Any info appreciated!!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »

I visited Al's house in  Big Sur a few years ago. When I say "visited" I mean I drove past the gated entrance, all the way down Sycamore Canyon road in Big Sur about 2 miles from the road after a real sharp turn by a bunch of mailboxes, just before Pfifer Beach. What I always remember as being so cool, other than a beautiful drive down a windy road on the way to the beach....there was a big old woody in the grass right across from the entrance. It was really cool....what a spot for a house!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 01:42:23 PM »

In the '80s-'90s, Carl had a home in Nederland, CO, but I'm not sure if he and Gina owned or rented it. The interviews with him in the BBs: An American Band were shot there. You can see Rocky Mountain National Park off in the distance in the footage -- quite the scenic backyard view!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 10:01:01 PM »

Just trying to remember the scene in the recent Brian doco where they visited a house, I think in Malibu, where Brian didn’t want to get out of the car. Wasn’t that to visit Carls wife and he said it was the last place he saw him? Someone can correct me I’m sure. Surely if she is in the same house over 20 years later they would have owned it.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 06:33:46 AM »

Interesting, I remember that scene where Brian didn't want to get out of the car. But I don' think it was to visit Carl's wife Gina, I just think it was to get out of the car and look more closely at the house. Could be wrong, but I doubt if Gina Martin still lives there after all this time, so little is known of her today, but for some reason I thought she had remarried. Nota t all sure though.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 07:27:01 AM »

Re the newest BW doc: No, that's a different house that Carl owned with his first wife, Annie, in the '60s. That house is on Coldwater Canyon Dr. in the greater Los Angeles area (Hollywood Hills?). Coldwater Canyon is located between Laurel Canyon and Benedict Canyon. They sold that house a long time ago. IIRC, it's where the "Sloop John B" music video (short film) was shot, the one with the guys in the swimming pool. I get the sense in BW:LPR that Brian didn't want to get out of the car because the Coldwater house was too freighted with memories for him, and he still misses his brothers.

Carl and Annie also rented a Morrocan-style house in Malibu on the beach in the '70s. That house is where the footage was shot of Brian's birthday party with Paul McCartney as one of the guests.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 07:57:30 AM »

There isn't much between Al's place and Pfeiffer Beach, which makes it a pretty envious address! Any idea what year Al moved up there?

I know Bruce sold his home in Montecito, some years back, but I believe he still lives in the area?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 10:07:46 AM »

When Bruce used to post on the BBBritain board, he said he lived in a house on the beach in Montecito. The year the bad fire hit Montecito, Bruce's garage got literally wiped out by a subsequent landslide that went from the burn area down to the sea.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 11:18:33 AM »

On the old Beach Boys Britain board, I recall Bruce would obnoxiously go on and on about living down the street from Oprah.

Tell me about "Sunflower" Bruce. Because I have to be honest that I don't care particularly about your mansion or your kids marrying into other even richer families.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »

Al moved up to Big Sur around 1976. If you remember the Beach Boys It's Ok TV special from the Big Brian's Back tour of 1976, the house and  Pfeiffer beach were included in the segment of Al Performing Help Me Rhonda. Mentioned he had just recently moved there. His place in Big Sur, down Sycamore is amazing.....and yes, you can walk to Pfeiffer Beach in about a minute.

As an aside, the home that Carl and Annie rented in Malibu is also in this special, in the Paul McCartney attended Brian's birthday bash. As stated above.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 12:26:28 PM »

On the old Beach Boys Britain board, I recall Bruce would obnoxiously go on and on about living down the street from Oprah.

Tell me about "Sunflower" Bruce. Because I have to be honest that I don't care particularly about your mansion or your kids marrying into other even richer families.  LOL

To be honest, Bruce's spot in Montecito was pretty modest, by rock star standards...and he was pretty much right behind Oprah's massive estate.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »

When Bruce used to post on the BBBritain board, he said he lived in a house on the beach in Montecito. The year the bad fire hit Montecito, Bruce's garage got literally wiped out by a subsequent landslide that went from the burn area down to the sea.

Is that when he lost his vintage longboard, that was found and 'repurposed' by a local artist?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 12:53:36 PM »

Re the newest BW doc: No, that's a different house that Carl owned with his first wife, Annie, in the '60s. That house is on Coldwater Canyon Dr. in the greater Los Angeles area (Hollywood Hills?). Coldwater Canyon is located between Laurel Canyon and Benedict Canyon. They sold that house a long time ago. IIRC, it's where the "Sloop John B" music video (short film) was shot, the one with the guys in the swimming pool. I get the sense in BW:LPR that Brian didn't want to get out of the car because the Coldwater house was too freighted with memories for him, and he still misses his brothers.

Carl and Annie also rented a Morrocan-style house in Malibu on the beach in the '70s. That house is where the footage was shot of Brian's birthday party with Paul McCartney as one of the guests.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess eventually that clip will appear on YouTube, but it’s hard to recall the context at the moment.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

Juice, that's right about Bruce's longboard being a victim of the landslide, then found and repurposed for a charity auction. The house near Oprah was his first Montecito digs, then he moved to the beach.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 08:34:51 PM »

I remember seeing Bruce's home on a real estate website when he was selling it. It was fairly modest but very nice with very nice views too. I remember the piano room. Looked pretty cool but
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 06:34:26 AM »

Obviously, it's all relative and I understand what "modest" can look like for a wealthy rock star. I suspect Bruce hasn't needed the hugest mansion considering he's out on the road for most of the year.

But even "modest for a rock star" is very, very expensive in the areas where Bruce has had property in Southern California. And, if a house has a "piano room" including a piano, modest then *truly* becomes quite relative. I mean, it isn't Bruce living in a regular two-story housing tract in like L.A. proper. He's not living in a "bachelor pad" apartment or something.

I suspect Bruce has the housing that would seem to go along with someone who hasn't written or produced a hit in a half century but has some nice royalties and a steady tour paycheck coming in, along with whatever he may have inherited and invested in over the years, being the conservative guy that he is proud to say he is.

Truly, it is fascinating that both Mike and Bruce don't seem to have any interest in taking the sunset years of their lives and relaxing on a more extended basis and having more time to enjoy their large houses and gold plated toilets or whatever it is they've got going on. They seem happy to schlepp across the country (and around the world) and just take a few weeks here and there at home. They seem happy spending more time on airplanes and in hotel rooms than in those mansions and non-mansion mansions. I don't know that it's admirable per se, but it's interesting and fascinating.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 08:09:22 AM »

Truly, it is fascinating that both Mike and Bruce don't seem to have any interest in taking the sunset years of their lives and relaxing on a more extended basis and having more time to enjoy their large houses and gold plated toilets or whatever it is they've got going on. They seem happy to schlepp across the country (and around the world) and just take a few weeks here and there at home. They seem happy spending more time on airplanes and in hotel rooms than in those mansions and non-mansion mansions. I don't know that it's admirable per se, but it's interesting and fascinating.

I mean, we're not talking about retiring from the insurance industry, here! These are rock stars! Last month they played the Royal Albert Hall. So far as I can tell--and to Mike Love's credit--it just never got old for him. He wants to be out on stage singing his hits and doing his bits and signing autographs and hearing the crowd cheer, and I mean, I don't think I'd want to give that up either, if I were him!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 08:44:33 AM »

I mean, we're not talking about retiring from the insurance industry, here! These are rock stars! Last month they played the Royal Albert Hall. So far as I can tell--and to Mike Love's credit--it just never got old for him. He wants to be out on stage singing his hits and doing his bits and signing autographs and hearing the crowd cheer, and I mean, I don't think I'd want to give that up either, if I were him!

Yeah, everybody's different. I just think there are other people of a relatively similar ilk who wouldn't even so much dislike all of the rock star trappings, but would have *some other* interest in life they'd like to pursue that touring doesn't allow enough time for.

It’s worth noting that multiple times in past decades, especially in the 90s, Mike indicated he didn’t envision touring forever and eventually pictured retiring and moving onto TM or other things of that nature. He mentioned this in that infamous 1992 Goldmine interview as I recall, and Elliott Lott said back in 1999/2000 that Mike only had a few years of touring left in him (though I think that was much more a tactic/ploy to try to assert that they should let Mike have the license as if there were only a few years left of touring income to capitalize on).

I think continuing to tour nearly non-stop is both a very pro-active, energized thing to do, and also kind of lazy in some ways at the same time.

Carl called it back in the late 80s, that Mike would be out there touring after everybody else had dropped off for one reason or another. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 08:47:05 AM »

I've heard that some rock stars hit rock-bottom when their tours end - they go from this "high" of sorts (being around crowds that cheer for them, being on the road, partying, etc), to the complete boredom of home. And it drives them crazy.

While Mike owns the giant mansion, I'm sure in his latter years he realizes how fruitless those material luxuries are and probably gets far more satisfaction bringing beautiful music to people night after night than watching his 90" flat screen alone at home.

It's probably why Brian (who clearly dislikes performing) likes to be on the road....it's not boring, it's not quiet, it's not routine. Touring means getting to try new food each night, seeing friends around the country, it means hearing people cheer for your hard work. When you're elderly, I'm sure that hanging onto a life full of living vibrancy is much more appealing than being around the material goods you have acquired over the years.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »

I've heard that some rock stars hit rock-bottom when their tours end - they go from this "high" of sorts (being around crowds that cheer for them, being on the road, partying, etc), to the complete boredom of home. And it drives them crazy.

While Mike owns the giant mansion, I'm sure in his latter years he realizes how fruitless those material luxuries are and probably gets far more satisfaction bringing beautiful music to people night after night than watching his 90" flat screen alone at home.

It's probably why Brian (who clearly dislikes performing) likes to be on the road....it's not boring, it's not quiet, it's not routine. Touring means getting to try new food each night, seeing friends around the country, it means hearing people cheer for your hard work. When you're elderly, I'm sure that hanging onto a life full of living vibrancy is much more appealing than being around the material goods you have acquired over the years.

There is definitely something to that, I think. I remember reading about Micheal Jordan going a bit nuts after he retired, from a lack of action. So much so, that he took up with a bunch of guys who would meet in the middle of the night and drag race cars through the deserted streets of Chicago.

Mike probably has the bug, and Bruce as well. And it's a hard thing to just turn off. And they have probably been in a 'it can't last much longer so do it while we can' philosophy for the last 30 years, lol.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »

I think, too - even though it's obviously a totally different situation - that that Tony Bennett 60 minutes segment about his farewell shows that went viral a couple years ago is pretty instructive. In the video, you see that Tony Bennett's alzheimers had advanced to the point where he couldn't really remember, well, anything... and yet he could go out and do a 60 minute set at Radio City Music Hall, knew all the songs, recognize people on stage in a way he couldn't at home, and really be his old self for an evening... and then a couple days later not even remember it happened! The point being that music is powerful, powerful stuff. I think that sometimes because Mike's taste differs so much from the taste of most hardcore fans, we forget that he still clearly *loves* the music. Mike's a cornball and always has been, but I don't think he's a cynic. I think he just really does like the car songs and the cheerleaders and the Ra Ra Ra thing, that's his taste. But he's a very musical person, who's always had a very strong musical sensibility of his own, in terms of the aesthetic he likes, his vocals, his lyrics, and I guess it's just pretty easy for me to imagine that the Mike we're seeing on stage is the real Mike Love, as real as it gets, and that the Mike Love that would be sitting around his mansion watching TV would be, you know, not the person he wants to be. And I think something similar is true of Brian. I saw the Something Great in '68 tour just before the pandemic with my partner (it was an *amazing* show, even though Brian's participation was already a little less than it had been a few years earlier), and her comment about it as a fan (but not nearly so intense a fan as me), was that, yea, his vocals weren't always so enthusiastic, but she thought it looked like Brian just really wanted to sit on stage and be surrounded by his music and that that had got to be so special.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx