gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:42:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I recreate Help Me, Rhonda  (Read 2536 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2022, 10:31:59 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQ8rGv2Yz8

This is something I've been working on FOR. EVER.  Let me know what you think.  It is more or less a "proof of concept" that my transcriptions are accurate, so I can be sure that I am representing this great music scrupulously as I put it forward as material that is worthy of serious study.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:13:59 AM »

I’m not sure whether this falls under constructive criticism, JH, but I’d say you nailed it! And it was certainly worth the wait, as always. Wink

If Brian is not yet aware of what you are doing for the future of his music, it’s high time he was. (Paging Howie E…)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »

Joshilyn, this put this biggest smile on my face. I'm still grinning ear to ear.

This is PERFECT. The piano part at 2:07 blew my mind, sounds like an exact copy of the original (and for that matter the entire thing sounds like an exact copy of the original). Seriously awesome work.

Gonna be playing this throughout the day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 08:03:59 AM »

Outstanding!  Pirate High Five Rock! Brian, Dennis, & Carl Love Happy Dance Bow Head Spin w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Listening

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »

Impeccable.

Definitely will share this around.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »

I also have to say, this is a GREAT way to extend the life of these songs. Not that "Rhonda" is not a well-known song, one of their most of course.

But I gotta say, having that BB SiriusXM station on at various points, it can get a little tiring hearing something like "Rhonda" twice per hour. Not that the great stuff ever isn't great. But you all know what I mean.

But actually SEEING all of these parts performed, it really engages the senses and provides another way into enjoying it. As someone who has dabbled as a musician, this engages me on that level, and just as a fan/scholar of the music.

Selfishly I immediately have about 100 BB/Brian songs I want to see this done with.

A million thumbs up to Joshilyn!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:33:52 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »

But actually SEEING all of these parts performed, it really engages the senses and provides another way into enjoying it. As someone who has dabbled as a musician, this engages me on that level, and just as a fan/scholar of the music.

That is a huge reason why I'm doing these things -- it would be a heck of a lot easier to just share the audio tracks, but I think there is definite value in seeing the number of instruments involved and the physicality of playing them.  And, even with Brian's very competent backing band, nobody has ever completely represented the extreme minutia of some of these arrangements in a visual representation and in audio-reproduction.

Thanks for the comments, all.  I plan to do the entire catalog this way, eventually, perhaps skipping around a bit after Friends.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »

yes! it's all there.  true tempo.  instruments take over their parts though with a light feel.  it makes people smile because there's some musical humor in the arrangement
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »

I was thinking a version of Stack-o-Tracks for the instrumentals that weren't on the LP, but a physical release of a select portion of this built around the videos (whose charm and cleverness can be "changed up" now and again with the offbeat taken a bit further...) could be a way to self-fund more research. People get a great product, and they pay for it: more concrete than donating. You just need a label--how about Capitol? It's another way into the music, and much of what you'd be recreating wouldn't be available.

"Stacking the Tracks with Joshilyn!"

I also loved the little trick of shutting down each little screen separately at the end of the track--nice deadpan humor, there.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 06:51:26 PM »

This is soooo cool! Really unbelievable! It's so much fun to see all the pieces coming together. Also very clever video editing, I love how it cuts to the drums for those snare hits! Somehow seeing the instruments visually makes it easier to hear how they interact. Like, you can really hear what the ukuleles are adding, and the way that the two basses playing together create a distinctive sound that on the original record is totally there but is somehow harder to place. Nothing is extra.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »

Excellent !!  Love this.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 08:11:51 PM »

Amazing work, Joshilyn! Great video, too. It's so great to see the real instruments.

This video made me realize that the bonus track on the Party/Stack o Tracks twofer doesn't seem to be readily available on the streaming services I have - I wanted to compare them directly because the one nitpicky thought I had was looking for a higher frequency when the organ came in - but that might just be mixing with the ukeleles. I'll have to find it another time, but from memory it feels complete.

My other bit of constructive feedback would be to "pan" the videos to match the mix whenever possible (like, ukeleles on the right when you hear them on the right). I think that would help the viewer process the information more easily. Obviously that's not always going to be possible but just a thought.

Looking forward more of these!

Watch out for snakes!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 09:53:17 PM »

Wow! How many instruments do you have in your apartment?

Wonderful performances.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 02:34:25 AM »

Fantastic! Is there anything you don't play?

I didn't realize there was an organg on the lower rhythmic part. That's a very nice chugging sound.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 07:57:40 AM »

This video made me realize that the bonus track on the Party/Stack o Tracks twofer doesn't seem to be readily available on the streaming services I have - I wanted to compare them directly because the one nitpicky thought I had was looking for a higher frequency when the organ came in - but that might just be mixing with the ukeleles.

I had no idea that ukuleles were even played on 'Help Me Rhonda' until I watched Joshilyn's video. Also, watching the drums being played was eye opening for me - I always think of drummers as just pounding away on the drums, but this was such a mellow beat that was lightly played....makes you realize that instead of just using the drums as the main instrument to drive most of the rhythm, Brian was using almost every instrument to do drive the rhythm - the drums were just one small part of it.

Again, great video, Joshilyn. I've been watching it over and over again since you posted.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 08:37:52 AM »

Amazing work, Joshilyn! Great video, too. It's so great to see the real instruments.

This video made me realize that the bonus track on the Party/Stack o Tracks twofer doesn't seem to be readily available on the streaming services I have - I wanted to compare them directly because the one nitpicky thought I had was looking for a higher frequency when the organ came in - but that might just be mixing with the ukeleles. I'll have to find it another time, but from memory it feels complete.

My other bit of constructive feedback would be to "pan" the videos to match the mix whenever possible (like, ukeleles on the right when you hear them on the right). I think that would help the viewer process the information more easily. Obviously that's not always going to be possible but just a thought.

Good thoughts -- are you talking about the main chugging organ on the basic track?  That was one of the hardest sounds to match I've ever experienced in my life, and I didn't quite nail it.  I'll explain more in the breakdown video.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »

Wow! How many instruments do you have in your apartment?

Wonderful performances.

If you count individual percussion instruments, it's something in the order of 125?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »

Fantastic! Is there anything you don't play?

I didn't realize there was an organg on the lower rhythmic part. That's a very nice chugging sound.

At the moment, I've never played a bassoon.  There's also a bunch of instruments from other countries that I'm sure I'd have to spend some time on to play properly.  Otherwise, I pretty much have it covered.   Grin

As for the organ, as I said above to Mitchell, that organ sound has been one of the hardest sounds to match I've ever encountered.  I still am not exactly sure how the sound was built up.  I'll get into it in the breakdown video.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2022, 08:45:05 AM »

This video made me realize that the bonus track on the Party/Stack o Tracks twofer doesn't seem to be readily available on the streaming services I have - I wanted to compare them directly because the one nitpicky thought I had was looking for a higher frequency when the organ came in - but that might just be mixing with the ukeleles.

I had no idea that ukuleles were even played on 'Help Me Rhonda' until I watched Joshilyn's video. Also, watching the drums being played was eye opening for me - I always think of drummers as just pounding away on the drums, but this was such a mellow beat that was lightly played....makes you realize that instead of just using the drums as the main instrument to drive most of the rhythm, Brian was using almost every instrument to do drive the rhythm - the drums were just one small part of it.

Again, great video, Joshilyn. I've been watching it over and over again since you posted.

Hal used very light drum sticks and barely tapped the drums a lot of times -- if he played too loud it could potentially get in everybody else's mic and ruin the blend.  It's truly a lost art.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 08:53:55 AM by Joshilyn Hoisington » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2022, 09:14:33 PM »

Important work.
Keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »

Good thoughts -- are you talking about the main chugging organ on the basic track?  That was one of the hardest sounds to match I've ever experienced in my life, and I didn't quite nail it.  I'll explain more in the breakdown video.

Yeah, I was thinking I heard something a bit higher in the organ spectrum (in addition to the chugging low part). Having now listened to the Stack o Tracks bonus track, I think I hear a higher wavering organ part panned just to the right of centre. It's actually similar to the quieter organ part in the following California Girls track (this time mid-left in the panning, playing along with the bass line). Maybe they are separate organ parts?

Extra edit: my initial reaction to your video was that the low organ needed something higher but I think that was just a product of hearing it more separately in the mix (though you acknowledge it was hard to get right). It was going from memory and I was probably confusing it with the electric guitar (no ukes at that point). But having said that I think there is a separate organ part (or two?) that comes in during the chorus (around 0:29) - one playing a kind of "drone" (sustained notes) with a bit of vibrato on it (or whatever the organs of the day used) AND (maybe) a part playing along with the blues riff.

As I said before, this is incredibly nitpicky and I'm not even sure I'm hearing things right (either in your video or the Stack o Tracks bonus track).I don't want to diminish the fantastic work you put in already -  I only offer this feedback because I think you're seeking it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:00:37 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Watch out for snakes!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2022, 04:30:55 PM »

Returning a few days later to say: I'm never going to be able to unhear those ukuleles when this song comes on! They're super clear, even in the mono mix. Not that I ever noticed them before! Also that amazing countermelody the guitar (and later one of the horns) plays in the second half of the chorus. So cool! Also, this will surprise no one, but I think it's kind of cool that (according to a brief youtube survey), that guitar part was never played live by the Beach Boys, but the Brian Wilson Band always seems to have someone audibly on it!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx