gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:08:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes autumn '66 - so few sessions  (Read 3602 times)
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2022, 12:39:03 AM »

It's also worth mentioning (or re-mentioning? I can't keep track of what's been said) that the organ waltz "intro" from months later is not actually an intro, and was never labelled that way - that's something that was lost in translation when the GV box set was made, and the label stuck for TSS too. Brian starts to play "my children were raised..." after that piece on the tape, for what it's worth.

The March organ waltz then Intro to Heroes was marked on the tape box as Intro to Part 2, wasn’t it, and logged as a Heroes session?  Since Brian had been working on a side B for a 2 sided Heroes single in February after the cantina mix was finished, the presumption is this was to be an intro to the second side of the single.  Musically it’s identical to the Chimes Part 3, although as pointed out that Part 3 would have followed the A side’s Part 2 which was first Great Shape, then Bicycle Rider, and finally cantina.

The tape box, which mostly consists of the verse remake session, says "Intro to Heroes and Villains", and the organ waltz section was recorded hastily at the end of the date. I haven't seen a scan of the box itself, but I'd imagine that the notation is in reference to the section that took the majority of the session to record, and which is actually the first part of the song in all other mixes. I can't see the waltz section being an intro, with Brian playing CWR at the end of the take. Though, maybe a clearer look at what exactly is written on the box could help solve that one! Anything is possible.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 05:49:49 PM »

Where do you hear children were raised after the take of organ waltz?  Is this on a boot somewhere?  I don’t hear it on Smile Sessions. 
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 07:16:38 PM »

It can be heard on Unsurpassed Masters, very quietly - Brian sings the word "my" on an F#4 and then plays the same C# arpeggio that kicks off that vocal arrangement.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 07:19:46 AM »

I'll be sure to check it out.  Thanks.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 07:30:14 AM »

Disc 3 track 10 - bit inconclusive though..?  If only he'd sung the line Smiley

Presumably 'intro' replaced IIGS..?  And was then replaced by Cantina..?  So there was always a middle 8 but no real chorus - unless you count the verse as a chorus which I indeed think you can.

It can be heard on Unsurpassed Masters, very quietly - Brian sings the word "my" on an F#4 and then plays the same C# arpeggio that kicks off that vocal arrangement.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:44:57 AM by mike s » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2022, 10:04:05 AM »

Intro was originally "Part 3"  so was to follow Part 2 - so I assume that it would have gone cantina/organ waltz (intro)/children were raised/3rd verse/whistle/OMP Part 2 fade.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »

Was the waltz definitely created after Cantina..?  I'd love to know what the vox were going to be.  I've tried singing iron horse over it but it doesn't really work.  "Heroes and villains just see...' works better but still sounds a bit goofy.

Intro was originally "Part 3"  so was to follow Part 2 - so I assume that it would have gone cantina/organ waltz (intro)/children were raised/3rd verse/whistle/OMP Part 2 fade.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2022, 12:05:25 PM »

Organ waltz was March 1 1967, wasn't it?  And I don't believe any lyrics would have been on it, it was an instrumental transition track (unless wordless vocals were planned like in Fall Breaks).
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2022, 01:31:28 PM »

Must have had something - maybe the indian chants..?

Organ waltz was March 1 1967, wasn't it?  And I don't believe any lyrics would have been on it, it was an instrumental transition track (unless wordless vocals were planned like in Fall Breaks).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx