gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:47:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out in the country  (Read 1683 times)
Jim Curtis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2022, 05:15:56 AM »

I’ve had a very short bootleg of this song since the mid 70s. I know there is an extended version with The Beach Boys (Bruce and Al) singing the intro then a segue into  long version with someone else’s lead.  I was surprised that any version of this song did not show up on the Feel Flows box set since it was early 70s.  Can anyone shed some light on this song.  I always liked the intro boot that I had and whoever did the long country version did a nice job.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »

I’ve had a very short bootleg of this song since the mid 70s. I know there is an extended version with The Beach Boys (Bruce and Al) singing the intro then a segue into  long version with someone else’s lead.  I was surprised that any version of this song did not show up on the Feel Flows box set since it was early 70s.  Can anyone shed some light on this song.  I always liked the intro boot that I had and whoever did the long country version did a nice job.
Before the breathing air is gone? Before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime?
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 04:52:43 PM »

https://youtu.be/vLBEaR1BGro
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 04:53:23 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 05:41:47 PM »

What you've heard is a fan edit that combines two completely different recordings. The slow organ version, which has appeared on various bootlegs over the years, was recorded for the Holland album, but ultimately left off. The faster, longer version is the original recording of the song, with a lead vocal by Don Goldberg (who cowrote the song with Brian). This one was recorded for Carl & the Passions. Neither appeared on Feel Flows, as that release focused on the Sunflower - Surf's Up era.
Jim Curtis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »

I thought Bruce left after the Surfs Up album?  His vocals are on this song.  I’m not sure this was recorded during the Holland sessions?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 10:22:49 PM »

I thought Bruce left after the Surfs Up album?  His vocals are on this song.  I’m not sure this was recorded during the Holland sessions?

Bruce isn't on either version.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 05:30:24 AM »

Link is dead.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 06:32:51 AM »

When "Out in the Country" first "surfaced" back around 1998/99/00 (somewhere in that vicinity), a lot of people thought it was Bruce on the lead. This was amplified by the track running too fast, which made it sound even more like Bruce, as well as the nebulous origins of the track (while it was generally assumed to be from the early 70s, it seemed plausible it came from "So Tough" or earlier sessions, which could have included Bruce). Also, when it first surfaced, the sound quality was kinda dicey. Once it was slowed down to the correct speed and surfaced in more acceptable quality, it was more clearly Al.

It does reinforce how much these guys could sound like each other, including the various *non-related* members. Al/Brian mix-ups are perhaps most common in this category, but I've heard just about every permutation of mix-up at one point or another, at least for fleeting moments. Even Brian and Mike could sound like each other on occasion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx