gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson at Adelphi Theatre London 12 November 2006  (Read 6929 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 01:47:04 AM »

Not exactly. My comments involve two main points. First, I am shocked, blown away actually, that Brian AND Melinda would pick up the telephone to call the guys about a Beach Boys' reunion. I thought Brian's team was fully entrenched in making sure Brian had a solo career. I didn't think "they" would want Brian anywhere near Mike Love for musical and non-musical reasons. And I can't believe this phone call (if it in fact happened) wasn't made public by people other than Al, specifically Mike and Bruce. My comments directed at Al had to do with the nonchalant way he mentioned THE PHONE CALL. It was almost like (and I'm paraphrasing), "Yeah, Brian called about a Beach Boys' reunion. Who knows what'll happen?" I just have a hard time with that ho-hum description, but, hey, maybe that's how he/they really feel about it. It's just that when I look at where Mike, Bruce, and Al's careers are at this point - or where they aren't- I would think they would jump out of their shoes at the opportunity to work with Brian. Which leads to my second point.

To me (and maybe I'm in the minority) news of a Beach Boys' reunion is the biggest news about the group since Carl's death. I don't care about anniversaries, awards, solo albums, children's books, and TV movies. I want new Beach Boys' music from the surviving members. And, regardless of what the surviving members say or don't say, that's what I believe they want too. So I am again shocked and blown away that, if Brian and Marilyn made that phone call, that nothing was worked out. If NOTHING was worked out, and we'll know in due time, I would love to know why. What were the stumbling blocks this time?  The cost of airplane tickets? They couldn't re-schedule a concert? Unsettled lawsuits? Set list issues? I'd love to know.

Regarding your first point, what do you think *actually* happened then? Do you really think Al just fabricated the story about the phone call? If the Brian show had never taken place or been scheduled, then there might have been reason to wonder what Al was talking about. But I think it's pretty clear that Al spoke to Brian and/or Melinda, because Al may have been aware of this concert well before it was made public apparently, and he was definitely made aware of it before Brian himself even officially confirmed for it. How else would Al have had that information? I don't think that Brian and Melinda neccessarily made this phone call specifically for the sole purpose of talking about a reunion. There was probably other business to discuss, and this show and a potential dry run for a reunion was mentioned. They have been talking to each other for other reasons than this show apparently. They apparently had some discussions about putting together the tracklisting for that forthcoming "The Warmth of the Sun" CD among other things.

I agree that Al's sort of nonchalant about the prospect of a reunion, but I don't think this means Al made up the story about the phone call or anything of that sort. Further, I'm not sure this short ESQ interview is neccessarily a full and final statement on how Al feels about this show, let alone the concept of a reunion. If anything, I would think it might be the feeling or indication he got from Brian and Melinda (perhaps not a great amount of enthusiasm or willingness to committ to a reunion from them?) that might make Al a bit nonchalant or not particularly hopeful about a reunion. It sure seems like Al is trying to downplay the prospect of a reunion in this interview, and I don't think he's doing it because he's not interested in it. I seems more like he recognizes that such a reunion is a "maybe" at best.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 03:35:23 AM »

I guess, if all this reunion-talk is true, Melinda and Brian just thought "What could we do to top the Smile-concerts", just like they did before "Smile", wondering what could top "Pet Sounds live". I think a reunion would be the only big thing still waiting for Brian. If this won't happen, he will forever be at the point he is now, which of course isn't a really bad one.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 04:17:11 AM »

As several people have pointed out, Mike and Bruce are doing a concert in the U.S. Therefore it seems impossible to me that they will be joining Brian on the 12th. It just doesn't seem feasible that they would agree to join Brian and still advertise a concert in the US. Al seems quite possible though. However it does apparently say guests on the ticket so that would surely imply a support act.

I must admit I'm getting quite excited by the possibility of Al joining Brian to sing on this. I need somebody cynical to outline the concrete reasons why Al will absolutley not be appearing at this concert - reality check someone!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 05:47:44 AM »

I need somebody cynical to outline the concrete reasons why Al will absolutley not be appearing at this concert -

No you don't.  You need to Leave your heart wide open, and love without fear!!!! LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:44:21 AM »

Hey Jude, as far as what I believed actually happened regarding the phone call and Al - I believe that you described it quite accurately. However, the part of the phone call/statement that still perplexes me the most, and obviously gets me wound up, is the inclusion of Mike and Bruce, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Look at this quote from Al - "The INVITATION was extended to US from Brian and MELINDA to support Brian and to try out the idea of a REUNION". Check out the highlighted words - INVITATION, US, MELINDA, REUNION. To me, that's an important statement. Was that the original intention of the phone call? I don't know? Did Al exaggerate what was discussed? I don't know. But that was my original point. Al brings up these things in interviews, just kinda throws them out, and leaves me screaming "What!!!???" 

Anyway, the other point that has been mentioned a few times is that Mike and Bruce have a conflicting date/concert for the evening in question. True. I'm not trying to be ignorant, but couldn't Mike and Bruce's concert be rescheduled. It's not unheard of in the concert business to reschedule dates, and what Beach Boys' fan who bought a ticket to the Mike and Bruce's show wouldn't be understanding regarding these special circumstances.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »

A Pet Sounds show has been announced in the US featuring Al!!!  Cheesy

This should put the speculation to rest.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Bob Hanes
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2006, 12:32:05 AM »

I'm just so "luke warm" about the hype of a reunion.
I know Al would give up body parts to work with Brian again.  Al really wants to make one last statement as a band called the Beach Boys.  It is important to him, and I find his position sympathetic.  That said, what are the odds of any of that happening with only 3 real BBs or 4 if you let David "represent" and then Bruce?
I'm sorry if this sounds all "fuzzy" and glum to boot, but the 3 brothers together made one GIANT spirit!  Al knows that fer sure!  He still wants to leave something important to end it. 
Mike and Bruce have other motives, perhaps. 
I know Brian and Al were/have been talking on a semi-regular basis.  No more information than that was given me, but it was a very reliable source.
I was lead to believe it was personal and not business, but music is personal to both gentlemen, I believe.
Al got a hard lesson in humility over the last "X" number of years.  I can see Brian "reaching out" with an olive branch.  Brian knows Al can sing.  I remember Brian quoting Audrey about Al's voice "being like a bell".  Nice compliment imo.  It indicated to me that Brian admired Al's voice too. 
If you're gonna take a "first step" this is a good one.
Now I sound like a "fan" of forced togetherness.  I'm still not.  It's the hype that makes this all so dreary to me.  The more we talk and speculate the more likely to be disappointed we are.
It's not unlike Darian calling from Chicago after originally turning down the Brian tour.  "The music is going to be the star of the show!  Melinda agrees and so does Joe that doing the original arrangements is best.  We may have to change keys to aid Brian singing lead, but original arragnements!"
Well the music was star until Joe couldn't play the chords.  Then Brian had to move forward in the shows.  He wasn't ready or shouldn't have had to or....? whatever.
A new album from Brian.  Great!  Call it Brian Wilson Band Album....but no!  Brian is now the star.  The band plays for scale or less sings backgrounds ala BBs.....but not, when they could have shared vocals, taken leads and Brian would have been able to be the King within that format.  Nope.  All Brian all the time.  That was never who he was musically, was it?  He knew how it should sound, but he heard other's voices, and he knew he could create counterpoint and harmony better'n the rest of 'em 'cept maybe Carl after awhile.
These remaining Beach Boy guys are on very different "wavelengths" I'm afraid.  Something truly wonderful is a real longshot.
Brian and Scott B are such different people maybe what they've been doing will be "up" and interesting.  Most of what Brian has written since '88 are dirges about the dark.  Great chords but the melodies are too dark for me.
Yet like the lover I am, I still believe in perfect.....Maybe?
I honestly hope that all of you who posted here get what you are hoping for!  I mean that sincerely.  Everyone of you deserves "your dreams come true". 

The Right Reverend, Left Leaning Bob, Dumb Angel Chapel, Church of the Harmonic Over-dub
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2006, 01:45:41 AM »

I need somebody cynical to outline the concrete reasons why Al will absolutley not be appearing at this concert -

No you don't.  You need to Leave your heart wide open, and love without fear!!!! LOL

Ok, I'm going to try that. Here goes...

Wow things are looking up! Does this mean that he'll be joining Brian in the UK too?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:47:20 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 04:03:09 AM »

This should put the speculation to rest.

This are fantastic news !!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SG7
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:04 PM »

I was sort of hoping that the special guests would be Bananna and Louise  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx