gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:24:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Look Listen Vibrate Smile! Track list?  (Read 2327 times)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »

Does anyone have the most up-to-date version of this book? If so, I’d really like to know the Smile tracklist as per Domenic Priore. If you have a scan of it that’d be ideal. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:18:35 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »

5-BDF841-D-9-ECD-4019-A29-E-AF25-F459-C250" border="0
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:16:39 PM by Robbie Mac » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »

Extraordinary! Apparently this is the culmination of a lot of research on Domenic's part, so much appreciated. Will probably have to rejig my Smile mix in light of this. Thanks!

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »

Extraordinary! Apparently this is the culmination of a lot of research on Domenic's part, so much appreciated. Will probably have to rejig my Smile mix in light of this. Thanks!

A lot of his research had been done with Darian Sahanaja and Probyn Gregory as well.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 06:34:38 PM »

This is cool! I only have the old copy I bought back in '92 at Tower Records in Boston, none of the revisions or additions. Looks like I'll have to get a more current one.

BTW Domenic did a great live interview Tuesday night, I wish there was more time to really get into the Smile issues with him, I mean the real deep-dive stuff. But he has a new website coming soon which should be interesting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 07:58:50 PM »

Here is a link to the interview:

https://youtu.be/UrKdM6Igyjk?t=4647
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 10:06:50 PM »

Seems funny to be talking about Dom's 1995 edition as "the more current one," but that's exactly what it is.

I remember when the "Last Gasp" edition came out, i.e., May 1995, because I spent a weekend reading the damned book cover to cover instead of studying for a big examination.  LOL  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:16:25 PM by juggler » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 06:57:19 AM »

I think I have the latest version (in a box currently). But man I remember getting this book and being blown away by it. I still am - literally everything having to do with SMiLE - I don't know if such a book of this calibre has ever existed for another album. Like do books like this exist for Sgt. Pepper?

The amount of ads, newspaper clippings, etc about this album - it is just astounding. In the top 3 of my favorite books in my Beach Boys collection.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 07:05:45 AM »

I was obsessed with that book too. Spent many, many hours poring over LLVS instead of my textbooks and other things I should have been doing (and still do!). But I'm thankful for every minute. The only qualm I have with it, which came years later, was that a few very important quotes and clippings had no context or publishing date, and with Smile minutiae those things can be crucial.

And I wish they had included (at least in the original print copy I have) the Michael Vosse "Fusion" article. That article alongside the Anderle/Williams interviews in the book would have blown minds and changed opinions had it been in the book originally.

Just to have access to all of that period material without having to travel to a California library and scroll through microfiche reels to read this stuff is still one of the greatest gifts fans of this music ever received in the pre-internet world. It was like getting a copy of the coolest scrapbook a Smile fan could want.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mellowlight
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 12:15:24 PM »

In this interview he mentions that he and Darien came up with a definitive track list true to Brian’s original vision, seemingly somewhere around the Smile Sessions release period. He even said he had the cd right there but the interviewers didn’t ask about it
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 09:54:45 PM »

Note "She's Going Bald" rather than "He Gives Speeches"...

I also have very fond memories of this book, though I got it in the early 2000s. It's a time capsule/artifact in its own right - I think the SMiLE story benefits from it capturing the mystery in a way that a normal retelling of history cannot.

Watch out for snakes!
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 02:41:37 AM »

Some time ago, I was given a track list of the original SMiLE. There is no proof of its veracity but it seems to comply with the LLVS list shown above. Except the list I have shows 'Prayer' not 'Our Prayer' but I understand that was the original title.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:41:36 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »

In this interview he mentions that he and Darien came up with a definitive track list true to Brian’s original vision, seemingly somewhere around the Smile Sessions release period. He even said he had the cd right there but the interviewers didn’t ask about it

Does anyone have this tracklist or know Domenic Priore and could ask?
Thanks for posting that video interview, wish they wouldnt talked more SMiLE.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx