gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:35:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Deep Cuts album  (Read 1809 times)
Jim Curtis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2022, 06:18:25 PM »

After to listening to some of the live cuts from Made in California and the Feel Flows box set it would be great to get a double album or even a box set of live deep cuts.  The live versions of Its About Time, Wild Honey, Surfs Up, Only With You, Susie Cinciinnati, Student Demonstration Time to name a few that have been released with these two box sets show just how powerful and relevant they were in the 70s.  I have heard boots of Feel Flows, Okie from Muskogee, Jumpin Jack Flash , California Saga, Rockin All over the World, etc and they were great.  I was playing the Feel Flows box set the other day and had some friends over.  Student Demonstration Time (live version) came on and they couldn’t believe how The Beach Boys rocked.  I know it is not a fan favorite but that song rocks on the box set.  I’ve been going to BB concerts since 1971 so I know there are plenty of  live deep cuts out there.  Would love to see this happen……
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 06:33:36 AM »

That would be swell.  I want to say there's a recording somewhere of a performance of "Don't Talk" with Carl on lead vocals.  And I wouldn't mind having a recording of Carl singing "The Warmth of the Sun" (didn't Billy Hinsche also handle lead on this song?). 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:36:00 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »

As has been discussed in the past, a soundboard recording and/or a show captured on multi-track is needed for an official release. BRI does have many such shows in their archive of course. The Carl lead on "Don't Talk" from '74 is great; I'm not sure if a soundboard and/or multi-track caught a performance of that one. I sure hope so.

I believe you're going to get a nice selection of 72/73-ish live stuff on the upcoming 72/73 archival set.

If a similar format is followed on subsequent releases, we would see more live material. I've said for decades now that a live multi-disc compilation catching as many interesting tracks as possible would be great (and/or some sort of program to have downloads of full live shows from the vaults). I'm sure discussions have been had and will continue to be had on future sets and concepts.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »

And I wouldn't mind having a recording of Carl singing "The Warmth of the Sun" (didn't Billy Hinsche also handle lead on this song?). 

AFAIK it was always either Carl or Matt (in later years of course). Never heard of Billy singing the lead.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »

And I wouldn't mind having a recording of Carl singing "The Warmth of the Sun" (didn't Billy Hinsche also handle lead on this song?). 

AFAIK it was always either Carl or Matt (in later years of course). Never heard of Billy singing the lead.

I know Billy sang I’m Waiting for the Day live. Maybe that’s what Awesoman is thinking of, unless I’ve forgotten something else.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 10:09:07 PM »

I'm only familiar with Jeffrey singing "Warmth of the Sun". It was featured a lot on the 1983 tour.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 06:26:36 AM »

I know Billy sang I’m Waiting for the Day live. Maybe that’s what Awesoman is thinking of, unless I’ve forgotten something else.

Yeah that's correct.  It was that song he performed.  Thanks for clarifying.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »

I'm only familiar with Jeffrey singing "Warmth of the Sun". It was featured a lot on the 1983 tour.

Yes, that' correct. I forgot about Jeff.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx