gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:48:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Howie Edelson Radio Interview on WFMU, Saturday July 2 11am EST  (Read 9986 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 04:15:20 AM »

I feel for those who are going through something internally/mentally. It’s cliche, but I hope that one day we can all just enjoy this amazing music and not get caught up in the drama of it all (I’m 100% guilty of this). I think one day, when all the band has sadly passed, we’ll look back and realize how petty all this was/is.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 06:53:27 AM »

I feel for those who are going through something internally/mentally. It’s cliche, but I hope that one day we can all just enjoy this amazing music and not get caught up in the drama of it all (I’m 100% guilty of this). I think one day, when all the band has sadly passed, we’ll look back and realize how petty all this was/is.

I completely agree! Let's be good humans to one another and enjoy the music.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 07:19:30 AM »

Why wait until the band has passed?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:17 AM »

Why wait until the band has passed?

I mean I think we can all see how petty the drama is now, but I think it will really sink in in the distant future.

Currently, people are still being lied about, people are still being berated for their hard work. I think in the distant future when the dust settles from the politics of the actual band, no one will feel the need to pick sides (or to needlessly pick apart interviews). We'll probably laugh about some of Brian and Mike's antics, heck I may even put on Mike's Unleash The Love just to hear what he was working on in 2017 (and possibly enjoy it). I really enjoy their music, and will continue to do so. But it's hard to extricate oneself from the baggage that comes along with the music (to pretend that the baggage doesn't exist).

For now, a lot of us are passionately entrenched in our beliefs that are tied together with the current politics of the band. But I think in the future there will be a legitimate/genuine ability to just purely enjoy the music. That's just the reality of it.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 10:50:48 AM »

I always try to remain hopeful, but the idea that fans would be *less* argumentative about this stuff once some or all of the members are gone is not something I can maintain a ton of hope for.

We're in a period of fandom where we've had approximately TWENTY discs worth of unreleased material issued in the last five years (Sunshine Tomorrow, Sunshine 2, Live Sunshine, the '68 and '69 sets, the live '68 set, and Feel Flows), and there's FINALLY a team in place working on these releases that not only *gets it*, and knows this band extremely well, but is also in a position to actually get stuff out the door and into our hands, and some (hopefully small) subset of fan is stuck on the semantics of (read: actually just not understanding) an interview done to promote a reissue of a hits compilation, and when told they "don't get it", well, we all know some people hate nothing more than having the news broken to them that they "don't get it", and now that small group of fans is now on several weeks of railing against, I guess, everything to do with what is being released.

And now, they're railing against what *hasn't* been released, with this truly bizarre reaction to a bunch of unreleased stuff re-re-recirculating. "Haha! Take that Brother Records and Capitol Records people from 22 years ago!"

In modern parlance, tell me you don't know anything about this band or the music industry without saying you don't understand this band or the record industry.

And no, "well, we're not as bad as the Hoffman board!" is not a strong argument folks. I say that as someone that still finds plenty of interesting people and discussion on the Hoffman board *outside* of the audiophile discussions. The exclusively-audiophile segment of that place lost me years ago, stuck in an endless circle jerk of collecting 29 different "Wally Traugott pressings" of an album to compare them and analyzing waveforms of masterings they've never actually heard, while scoffing at the idea of hearing new, unreleased music.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 10:51:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »

That's out of bounds, seemingly, everywhere but there.
I was also uncool with how some "friends" there allowed that to pass and let things escalate -- all while still pumping me for information re: the band.

"Let things escalate"? "Out of bounds"? Weren't you the one who brought your wife and kids into this out of nowhere -- just to belittle the fans who were, with good reason, complaining about the quality of the product that you're trying to sell us?

Why did you decide to respond to a hot button subject in this manner? Because some other kids on the internet were making fun of you for having weird opinions? Welcome to 2022.

I think the big thing that has put Howie in the crosshairs was that quote about "be the producer they never had," which is just about the worst optics one could ever create in such a context. That statement has never been clarified or walked back, and it seems to be fueling some of the rage about the Sounds of Summer set.
Don, it's not the worst optics at all.

"Am I so out of touch?... No, it's the fans who are wrong."

And for some to take away ONLY that from my SEVERAL HOURS-worth of interviews and to use it as an excuse for character assassinations against the people that conceive and provide all this content (TSS; MIC; Sunshine 1 & 2; Live Sunshine; Wake; Hear Music; Live '68; Feel Flows, et al. . . ) proves what a TREMENDOUS portion of the business thinks about "die-hard" fans. It underscores that it's really only a few levels above some rabid JFK assassination "chat group."

Now you're making your own character assassinations. Deranged conspiracy theorists are now comparable to record-buying geeks on the web discussing:
A) your inflammatory remarks about their favorite band and
B) poor quality control being afforded to their favorite band's only active preservation projects

Seriously, Howie, you're an amusing guy, but one of these days you need to learn to look in the mirror and check your ego at the door.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:22:15 AM by terrei » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »

You're a Beatles guy, right, Howie? Then allow me to summarize the situation in terms that you can understand.

Imagine being hired by Apple to do PR.
Imagine telling Giles Martin that he needs to "go further out with his mixes" and "be the producer the Beatles never had."
Imagine saying that Help! had "shitty mixing and mastering" after you just oversaw a Beatles release that had the shittiest mixing and mastering ever heard from a major band.
Imagine saying that you're going to rewrite the history of the Beatles so that the group can finally be ranked side-by-side with Led Zeppelin and Jefferson Airplane.
Imagine saying all these things in an interview, then going on a Beatles forum to pour fuel on the fire, telling them that they care way too much about music, and then painting yourself as the victim.

Maybe this will give you a better idea of how you're now perceived by most Beach Boys fans. Enjoy that reputation. You've earned it!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:33:44 AM by terrei » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »

Leave for EH!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:05:24 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 11:35:32 AM »

You're a Beatles guy, right, Howie? Then allow me to summarize the situation in terms that you can understand.

Imagine being hired by Apple to do PR.
Imagine telling Giles Martin that he needs to "go further out with his mixes" and "be the producer the Beatles never had."
Imagine saying that Help! had "shitty mixing and mastering" after you just oversaw a Beatles release that had the shittiest mixing and mastering ever heard from a major band.
Imagine saying that you're going to rewrite the history of the Beatles so that the group can finally be ranked side-by-side with Led Zeppelin and Jefferson Airplane.
Imagine saying all these things in an interview, then going on a Beatles forum to make fun of the Beatles fans YOU upset, and then painting yourself as the victim.

Maybe this will give you a better idea of how you're now perceived by most Beach Boys fans. Enjoy that reputation. You've earned it!

The fact that you're equating the Beatles and Beach Boys and their current situations in order to make this comparison kind of indicates you don't know enough about either.

You are aware that Giles Martin in this awkward analogy is the guy doing a sh*t TON of remixing, right?

130 posts to your name over six years, and almost ALL of them are you arguing with people, or being argumentative or complaining.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2022, 11:43:05 AM »

Dang. Not gonna lie, I didn't see those posts from Howie until now Shocked thanks for linking that terrei. Had I seen that post before I don't think I would've stood up for him.

Howie says he was "Going out to play with my kids then dinner with my wife."

Man, I thought I'd seen it all, but that quote right there is such a low blow. To say you're gonna go play with your kids and then have dinner with your wife....wow. Hey mods, you may want to delete this post and terrei's post with the link to that quote - I'd just hate for people to start emulating such a harsh, disrespectful statements.
______

Man keep it up guys LOL - ^this just goes to show how utterly moronic these arguments against Howie are. The man basically says he's going to take a break from the internet and go do something with his family and he's lambasted for that LOL

Hey Howie, as you know, the sales/streaming statistics will show you how the fans feel about you and the set - not a vocal minority on an off-the-rails Beach Boys messageboard. And I think those sales are doing quite all right and will continue to do so.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 11:45:49 AM »

130 posts to your name over six years, and almost ALL of them are you arguing with people, or being argumentative or complaining.

Not too shabby. Though I doubt anyone will beat my record of 5700 posts (and counting) that are nearly all useless, argumentative, or complaining Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 11:52:02 AM »

That's out of bounds, seemingly, everywhere but there.
I was also uncool with how some "friends" there allowed that to pass and let things escalate -- all while still pumping me for information re: the band.

"Let things escalate"? "Out of bounds"? Weren't you the one who brought your wife and kids into this out of nowhere -- just to belittle the fans who were, with good reason, complaining about the quality of the product that you're trying to sell us?

Why did you decide to respond to a hot button subject in this manner? Because some other kids on the internet were making fun of you for having weird opinions? Welcome to 2022.

I think the big thing that has put Howie in the crosshairs was that quote about "be the producer they never had," which is just about the worst optics one could ever create in such a context. That statement has never been clarified or walked back, and it seems to be fueling some of the rage about the Sounds of Summer set.
Don, it's not the worst optics at all.

"Am I so out of touch?... No, it's the fans who are wrong."

And for some to take away ONLY that from my SEVERAL HOURS-worth of interviews and to use it as an excuse for character assassinations against the people that conceive and provide all this content (TSS; MIC; Sunshine 1 & 2; Live Sunshine; Wake; Hear Music; Live '68; Feel Flows, et al. . . ) proves what a TREMENDOUS portion of the business thinks about "die-hard" fans. It underscores that it's really only a few levels above some rabid JFK assassination "chat group."

Now you're making your own character assassinations. Deranged conspiracy theorists are now comparable to record-buying geeks on the web discussing:
A) your inflammatory remarks about their favorite band and
B) poor quality control being afforded to their favorite band's only active preservation projects

Seriously, Howie, you're an amusing guy, but one of these days you need to learn to look in the mirror and check your ego at the door.

So much wrong with this post and the next few…definitely deserved a detailed drubbing with edit button in hand.

1). Howie basically said he’d rather be spending time with his family than dealing with that sh*t. If you can find something wrong with that, you my friend are an asshole.

2) linking an EH thread here?! 😒

3)
I was literally just about to say that. Ya know, if this was the kind of board we’re accused of being, wouldn’t we have issued a ban? But haven’t…hmm…could it be? Nah.

The fact that you're equating the Beatles and Beach Boys and their current situations in order to make this comparison kind of indicates you don't know enough about either.
Bingo.

The difference between legit valid criticism (which there has been and rightfully so) and the personal attacks from the likes of the cirrhosis king, tomtomboy, and the rest should be clear to anyone with the IQ above spoiled milk. That’s where I have a huge issue.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »

Not too shabby. Though I doubt anyone will beat my record of 5700 posts (and counting) that are nearly all useless, argumentative, or complaining Grin

In all seriousness, I never like to get into post counts. Nobody matters anymore than anybody else. The point is less how many posts, and more what the posts show. If someone posts thousands of times, there will no doubt be plenty of complaining, inevitably being roped into some debates/arguments, and correcting people, and all of that. But it will also show posts about what they love, about things they like.

If someone is a member for years, and only surfaces on rare occasions to argue, well, that speaks for itself.

Even some of the long-gone folks that I'd debate on this board would also post about things they liked, would get into deep dives on hardcore fan stuff, etc. At least then I knew, however much we disagreed, they came from a place of sharing the friggin' interest that is the topic of the board.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 11:54:22 AM »

Dang. Not gonna lie, I didn't see those posts from Howie until now Shocked thanks for linking that terrei. Had I seen that post before I don't think I would've stood up for him.

Howie says he was "Going out to play with my kids then dinner with my wife."

Man, I thought I'd seen it all, but that quote right there is such a low blow. To say you're gonna go play with your kids and then have dinner with your wife....wow. Hey mods, you may want to delete this post and terrei's post with the link to that quote - I'd just hate for people to start emulating such a harsh, disrespectful statements.
______

Man keep it up guys LOL - ^this just goes to show how utterly moronic these arguments against Howie are. The man basically says he's going to take a break from the internet and go do something with his family and he's lambasted for that LOL

Hey Howie, as you know, the sales/streaming statistics will show you how the fans feel about you and the set - not a vocal minority on an off-the-rails Beach Boys messageboard. And I think those sales are doing quite all right and will continue to do so.

How dare you quote that horribly foul mouthed post. Gasp! Manning just showed up at my house with the red bars of soap Ralphie’s mom used in A Christmas Story. Oh fudge!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 11:56:58 AM »

You are aware that Giles Martin in this awkward analogy is the guy doing a sh*t TON of remixing, right?

Not only did you miss the point, but you're making the same argument I was making against Howie's views on music and how he compares other bands to the Beach Boys. You agree with me and you don't even realize it. It's utterly tragic.

Oh hey there, Guy Who Has Written 9643 Posts on a Beach Boys Forum in Which He Is Also Almost Always Arguing with People or Being Argumentative or Complaining for Over 20 Years. How's life?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:57:54 AM by terrei » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »

Edited my post, that was unbecoming.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 12:06:15 PM »

"terrei" -

Turn the computer off.
Go outside.
Look up. Breathe.

Forgive whomever you need to forgive to get your sh it straight. It's not straight.

I don't think this is who you want to be. If it IS -- I'm telling you, it's SOUR. It's a failing.
You can do better -- but even if you CAN'T, you should still try.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 12:09:58 PM »

Not only did you miss the point, but you're making the same argument I was making against Howie's views on music and how he compares other bands to the Beach Boys. You agree with me and you don't even realize it. It's utterly tragic.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »

Oh hey there, Guy Who Has Written 9643 Posts on a Beach Boys Forum in Which He Is Also Almost Always Arguing with People or Being Argumentative or Complaining for Over 20 Years. How's life?

I've been posting about the Beach Boys since 1996 on Usenet. Many arguments and complaints. But also many effusively happy, celebratory moments as well. Having been around the Beach Boys 'net all those years, I've seen every variation on the classic "how's life?" mic-drop attempt.

We all know what comes next.

I truly hope you get around to finding something you like and enjoy that you can also discuss. Maybe even The Beach Boys.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »

In all seriousness, I never like to get into post counts. Nobody matters anymore than anybody else. The point is less how many posts, and more what the posts show. If someone posts thousands of times, there will no doubt be plenty of complaining, inevitably being roped into some debates/arguments, and correcting people, and all of that. But it will also show posts about what they love, about things they like.

If someone is a member for years, and only surfaces on rare occasions to argue, well, that speaks for itself.

Even some of the long-gone folks that I'd debate on this board would also post about things they liked, would get into deep dives on hardcore fan stuff, etc. At least then I knew, however much we disagreed, they came from a place of sharing the friggin' interest that is the topic of the board.

Very true.

How dare you quote that horribly foul mouthed post. Gasp! Manning just showed up at my house with the red bars of soap Ralphie’s mom used in A Christmas Story. Oh fudge!

LOL

This whole situation reminds me of the quote from that movie: "In our world, you were either a bully, a toady, or one of the nameless rabble of victims."

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2022, 12:21:16 PM »

Howie basically said he’d rather be spending time with his family than dealing with that sh*t. If you can find something wrong with that, you my friend are an asshole

I guess that's the difference between me and Howie. Howie likes to randomly announce irrelevant details about his personal life to strangers on the internet. I don't. I think it'd be rather pathetic if I entered an online debate concerning bad record production just to say "please stop caring so much about music, I need to go play with my children." Call me old-fashioned.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »

*sigh* this is why we can’t have nice things…

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 12:31:10 PM »

"terrei" -

Stay down.

You're not going to out-wit me, you're not going to out-"mean" me.
You're flailing.

Stay down.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 12:31:52 PM »

Howie basically said he’d rather be spending time with his family than dealing with that sh*t. If you can find something wrong with that, you my friend are an asshole

I guess that's the difference between me and Howie. Howie likes to randomly announce irrelevant details about his personal life to strangers on the internet. I don't. I think it'd be rather pathetic if I entered an online debate concerning bad record production just to say "please stop caring so much about music, I need to go play with my children." Call me old-fashioned.

You do realize that the actual real comments made by others that you're incorrectly paraphrasing and/or quoting are all available for everybody to read, right?

We've seen a few folks over the years go down this path here. I don't know what to call it at a certain point but trolling.

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2022, 12:42:28 PM »

You do realize that the actual real comments made by others that you're incorrectly paraphrasing and/or quoting are all available for everybody to read, right?

Yes, I'm aware. I linked to some of them directly. (One of the moderators here, Billy C, seemed to take issue with me for doing so.) I don't really have anything more to add, except that I respect Howie for the good work he's done in getting these preservation projects off the ground. There's just a lot about how he's conducted himself online and in interviews that's embarrassing for younger Beach Boys fans.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:48:00 PM by terrei » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx