gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Howie Edelson Radio Interview on WFMU, Saturday July 2 11am EST  (Read 9962 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:50:40 AM »

Howie Edelson will be interviewed on WFMU's Michael Shelley Show, available online at wfmu.org, next Saturday July 2nd at 11am est.

https://wfmu.org/

https://www.wfmu.org/playlists/SH

From Michael's page:

Sat. Jul 2nd, 11am - 1pm: Beach Boys Creative Consultant Howie Edelson
Michael chats with Howie Edelson, creative consultant for The Beach Boys' Brother Records, about the band's 60th anniversary and the newly release 80 song collection "Sounds Of Summer" which includes 24 new mixes, which in some cases feature the latest in controversial digital stereo extraction technology.

For those who can't listen live, all the shows are archived and available at the WFMU site after they air.

Michael Shelley has one of the best radio shows around, between Michael at 11am on WFMU and Ben Vaughn on WXPN at 5pm, Saturday radio (or online) listening is fantastic around here...check it out!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:57:14 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »

Howie will be on shortly, just a reminder. And for those who can't listen live, the shows are archived at the links above.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »

Did he say anything that will piss off the other board? 😂

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 12:10:48 PM »

I’m hearing reports that Howie said “We’ve all heard the last of the psychedelic barbershop quartet.” Wink

In all seriousness, looking forward to hearing the replay. I’m glad Howie hasn't bern deterred by some whining children on the web.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »

Did he say anything that will piss off the other board? 😂

It appears so. Of course I think if Howie said "Hello" it would piss off some of them, unfortunately. Howie is one of the good guys in the whole deal.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 03:03:49 PM »

I thought it was a good interview.

I do find it odd that Howie can't hear the missing "s" in Good Vibrations, but heh, I don't have his ears so I can't judge. That being said, I really find it odd that it made it through the entire release process and no one commented on it (to me it is very noticeable). And that goes for other things in a few of the mixes.

Honestly I just can't see where people are coming from with the high-end compression complaints - and I'm not saying they're wrong in what they hear, but I just don't hear anything that makes me want to not listen to these mixes again...and to the degree that I've seen two instances (could be the same person) where there are calls for Mark to be fired from his job. I listened to some of the tracks that people found "unlistenable" on Feel Flows and the new set, and I just don't hear what the fuss is about. Thankfully I don't hear the over-compression stuff (or I do and my brain thinks it sounds good) and I'm overall very happy with the new mixes. There is something about the way Brian sings "well it's been building up inside of me for I don't know how long" - the way that "for" comes through in the new mix is worth every penny of this set. It's a gem that I just had never picked up on in previous mixes - it's definitely there in previous mixes, but his inflection on that part shines in this mix.

Anywho, thanks for the interview Howie, and thanks for making us aware of it, Guitarfool.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 07:24:51 PM »

I thought it was a good interview.

I do find it odd that Howie can't hear the missing "s" in Good Vibrations, but heh, I don't have his ears so I can't judge. That being said, I really find it odd that it made it through the entire release process and no one commented on it (to me it is very noticeable). And that goes for other things in a few of the mixes.

Honestly I just can't see where people are coming from with the high-end compression complaints - and I'm not saying they're wrong in what they hear, but I just don't hear anything that makes me want to not listen to these mixes again...and to the degree that I've seen two instances (could be the same person) where there are calls for Mark to be fired from his job. I listened to some of the tracks that people found "unlistenable" on Feel Flows and the new set, and I just don't hear what the fuss is about. Thankfully I don't hear the over-compression stuff (or I do and my brain thinks it sounds good) and I'm overall very happy with the new mixes. There is something about the way Brian sings "well it's been building up inside of me for I don't know how long" - the way that "for" comes through in the new mix is worth every penny of this set. It's a gem that I just had never picked up on in previous mixes - it's definitely there in previous mixes, but his inflection on that part shines in this mix.

Anywho, thanks for the interview Howie, and thanks for making us aware of it, Guitarfool.

Look at the people making those calls though….one of the is the resident town drunk and basically yells every time he posts. For every legit complaint , you got people like him, Manning, and that tomtom guy . Let them do their little boomer boycott. “It’s too loud” ..please… there a little volume dial..you can have one of your grandkids show you how to lower the volume 🙄

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 07:01:36 AM »

I also heard the missing "s" in "wears" on the new GV track, FYI. I don't know how or why that could have happened, but again that's just my take.

After hearing Howie's interview posted above, I also don't understand what all the fuss is about. They're different mixes of classic tracks, at the end of the day. The level of anger directed at the mixes and the people who constructed them and the new set is beyond what I think most of us would have expected. But again it also reminds me of the level of hate directed at Brian's NPP album even before the full album came out. It goes beyond disliking the sound of a song or a song itself when the attacks get personal.

These personal attacks on Howie and Mark Linett seem more political or grudge-fueled than anything that would begin to resemble constructive criticism. It's pathetic to see people calling for their heads literally, unless some of this is about others wanting their jobs or old-fashioned jealousy that someone got a gig which others covet. I don't get it. But it's rotten to the core to see Howie and Mark getting attacked personally...again, consider the sources. And it's also sad to not see more prominent voices not speaking up in defense of these two men who did a hell of a lot of truly great stuff for the fans.

Speaking of, the level of hypocrisy and double-standards is off the charts regarding this recent leak of BRI vault material on YouTube that has been getting pulled down. So it's ok to celebrate and not pay for that, which is leaked "unbooted" vault material, but it's a cardinal sin to listen to BB's tracks streaming on YouTube or Amazon through official channels?

For f**k's sake.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:23:22 AM »

No different than all the unreleased unbooted material you have had in your collection gf. And don’t start that high horse crap with me. We traded this stuff back and forth with each other 7-8 years ago. Remember?  ( i still have the emails showing all of this)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:26:13 AM by Tap Water » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »

No different than all the unreleased unbooted material you have had in your collection gf. And don’t start that high horse crap with me. We traded this stuff back and forth with each other 7-8 years ago. Remember?  ( i still have the emails showing all of this)

So you and others at one point came back to this board to accuse me of piracy or "illegally downloading" tracks, tried to suggest something that I said here was one of the reasons why the FF box was delayed, and continued to lie elsewhere about what actually happened, and I'm the one on the "high horse"?

I just find it ironic that after all the outrage directed at me for listening to one of the copyright extension releases on the official Beach Boys YouTube channel, then paying for it through my Amazon music subscription, that some of those who were "outraged" are now encouraging and going crazy over leaked tracks uploaded unofficially to YouTube, not paying for them, and ripping them for their own collections.

So if you're going to be outraged that I listened to released tracks on the official Beach Boys YouTube channel and accuse me of "illegally downloading" them, which I did not, and all but blame me at one point for scuppering the release of Feel Flows (or was that Manning, I don't recall), then celebrate and encourage the uploading, sharing, and downloading of leaked BRI vault material, that's pure hypocrisy Steve.

I have the emails/messages too. I hope you're still enjoying the 60's KHJ radio station airchecks I sent you, that's some of my favorite audio out of everything I own.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 07:44:28 AM »

I also heard the missing "s" in "wears" on the new GV track, FYI. I don't know how or why that could have happened, but again that's just my take.

After hearing Howie's interview posted above, I also don't understand what all the fuss is about. They're different mixes of classic tracks, at the end of the day. The level of anger directed at the mixes and the people who constructed them and the new set is beyond what I think most of us would have expected. But again it also reminds me of the level of hate directed at Brian's NPP album even before the full album came out. It goes beyond disliking the sound of a song or a song itself when the attacks get personal.

These personal attacks on Howie and Mark Linett seem more political or grudge-fueled than anything that would begin to resemble constructive criticism. It's pathetic to see people calling for their heads literally, unless some of this is about others wanting their jobs or old-fashioned jealousy that someone got a gig which others covet. I don't get it. But it's rotten to the core to see Howie and Mark getting attacked personally...again, consider the sources. And it's also sad to not see more prominent voices not speaking up in defense of these two men who did a hell of a lot of truly great stuff for the fans.

Speaking of, the level of hypocrisy and double-standards is off the charts regarding this recent leak of BRI vault material on YouTube that has been getting pulled down. So it's ok to celebrate and not pay for that, which is leaked "unbooted" vault material, but it's a cardinal sin to listen to BB's tracks streaming on YouTube or Amazon through official channels?

For f**k's sake.

Not to mention, it’s perfectly OK for a moderator of a BB board to not get called out when he says that he would boycott future product.  

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 07:59:44 AM »

Not to mention, it’s perfectly OK for a moderator of a BB board to not get called out when he says that he would boycott future product.  

The outrage is only expressed when someone is falsely charged with advocating a boycott of official releases and falsely accused of illegally downloading an official release, but not when others openly say they're boycotting releases and openly celebrating and downloading and even encouraging the uploading of unreleased vault material.

Yeah, that's hypocrisy. Sorry for stating the obvious.

This is where the ugly politics of all this stuff starts infecting the whole thing. It's ok to lie and point fingers and make false accusations if you don't like a person or carry a grudge against them (or want them to disappear, period), but when those pointing the fingers and making the false accusations actually do the same things openly and publicly...that's ok. What a load of crap.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 08:45:20 AM »

Not sure if the esq chat will happen if that board keeps celebrating stolen music…

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »

Not sure if the esq chat will happen if that board keeps celebrating stolen music…

I can't imagine any of the team (Howie, Mark, Alan, etc) wanting to step into such an onslaught of vitriol. For starters, one of the most vocal/harshest critics of the SoS set on that forum has gone on disturbing homophobic tirades in the past (doesn't sound like an environment I'd want to willingly place myself). Secondly, the forum's very own administrator treated Howie so disrespectfully when Howie was responding to the criticisms of his podcast interview...If the admin of their forum can't even act like a grown-up when interacting with a Beach Boys insider then they really shouldn't expect others on that forum to act any differently (and many have proven this point in recent weeks). Thirdly, they're still railing into Howie over there after his radio interview (and some are even trying to calm others down lest the Zoom meeting doesn't happen). I believe one person is claiming Howie said he didn't like the drums from the original Marcella - which I think is not at all what Howie was saying: He was saying that when he heard the new mix he wasn't too thrilled about the drums, but then he just decided to go along for the ride ("stop being a geek") and enjoy it for what it is: a mix that brings out a lot of elements that were buried before. Which is a perfectly logical standpoint. He's just being open and honest about how he looks at things.

And knocking Howie for not being able to hear the missing "s" - I mean, I find it odd too, but again, I don't have his ears. My father has hearing loss due to a war and going to a Chicago concert haha, he can't hear certain sounds anymore. That being said, I think there should be a more rigorous quality control element added onto the pre-release process for this very reason. But I'm also not going to knock a guy for not being able to hear something that is already very soft in the mix.

I mean people are just being relentless about anything to do with Howie and this set over there. It is mildly disturbing at this point. What's really odd to me is that I have seen some of these same posters twist themselves into pretzels to defend Mike Love's actions or comments toward/about Brian Wilson, and here Howie makes some harmless comments about his perspective and it's as if he invaded Poland.

This is where the ugly politics of all this stuff starts infecting the whole thing.

What I find most interesting are those who either deny or ignore that the politics are even at play right now. The "it's all about the music" line actually means "please ignore any obvious moves we're making to put ourselves in positions to help [____] camp out. Thanks."

It's so obvious, yet so many people just ignore it or are too entrenched to see it.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »

We have seen all this for many years and are probably used to it, but if you stop a moment to think seriously about it, it's really mind boggling. I guess that in Beatles fandom there are pro-John and pro-Paul factions, but "Paulista" is a name for a citizen of São Paulo, not an insult directed at the fans of Sir Paul McCartney.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:31:42 AM by Zenobi » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

What I find odd about the attitude of a few folks regarding these latest tracks is that there is a befuddling "ha ha, you got caught flat-footed Brother Records!" attitude even though the tracks, as they were unearthed however long ago (is it about 8 years now?), have obviously been known about by all pertinent factions all this time. Articles were literally written about it back then. Also, while I have no idea precisely how "common" the tracks have been, they have been "out there" for quite some time, and I'm sure all parties have been aware of that as well.

Also, the "you should have released this!" stuff is perplexing as well. Obviously, we'd all love more archival releases, and we're now finally getting that over the last several years. But I see gripes that *this* precise collection of tracks should have been released. Do people saying this not understand the context for these tracks? 22 years ago these were going to be spread across CD reissues of individual albums, and even then, these were just *prospective* tracks.

Even if they chose now to do a career-spanning archival compilation, this is not how such a compilation would be released. It wouldn't look like this. I would imagine if the "Feel Flows" style collections continue, we'll see most of these tracks (and by the time the 72/73 set is released, a good hunk of these tracks will have seen release). Weird, stripped-down "underdub" mixes of "Love You" tracks kind of need the context of either a specific "Love You" expanded edition, or some kind of 76/77-ish archival set.

Back in 2000, there were some legit gripes along these lines. We didn't get these bonus tracks, and instead got 70s/80s "two-fers", and the sort-of-but-not-really-promised "Brother Rarities" set that was supposed to sort of maybe take the place of those bonus tracks never materialized either. It took many years for the archival program to start to get to where it should be. But "Feel Flows" is it, and the indication right now is that the archival program is on the right track and *active*, so for the first time in a long time, I feel comfortable pausing gripes about the lack of archival releases. And we've had less room to gripe to some extent since 2013 with the "Copyright Extension" sets (which have great material even if the first several got sub-optimal presentations) and the "Made in California" tracks, and certainly since 2017 with over a DOZEN discs worth of unreleased material released *prior* to "Feel Flows", with "Sunshine Tomorrow", "Sunshine Tomorrow 2", the similarly-themed '68 and '69 studio sets, the live '68 stuff.

It's MUCH MUCH better now than it was in like 2006 when we were all excited to trudge to a bunch of Hallmark stores looking for that "Songs from Here and Back" CD to hear a hand full of new tracks.

Also, for what it's worth, I suspect "Lazy Lizzie" will probably never be officially released. I don't think the chances are zero, but the chances (whether you agree or not) are significantly slimmer in the 2020s as compared to 2000 or earlier.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:12:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 11:25:49 AM »

Also, those griping elsewhere about why these specific tracks haven't already been released clearly don't understand the history of this band and its internal politics, or how the record/music industry works, or the context for how these tracks originated and how they ended up out there years later, nor the history of how the band has handled (or not handled) unreleased/archival material.

Asking why DISCS worth of unreleased 70s material weren't released years and years ago is kind of like saying in 2004 after Brian's Smile, "I don't understand why he didn't just finish it in 1967. So dumb!"

If you don't understand why it was a difficult proposition due to many factors, including internal band politics, to release multiple discs of 70s outtakes in the 90s or early 2000s (and why it's STILL not a super easy proposition even today), then you don't understand this band or its history.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 12:46:56 PM »

For starters, one of the most vocal/harshest critics of the SoS set on that forum has gone on disturbing homophobic tirades in the past (doesn't sound like an environment I'd want to willingly place myself).
I’m so tempted to put this in my signature. For those who think this is about board politics, or believe the garbage about people being banned for defending Mike, *this* is more germane to why certain people were banned (Mike’s beard being a specific example).  And to on one hand say “it’s all about the music “ then talk about a boycott…there’s a real fan for you right there. Diehard fan. True blue. All about the music. This is some straight up clown business.

You know the saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth? These people are making glue from it, and chicken salad out of the golden goose.

Still waiting for one single example of someone being banned for their opinion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »

Y'know what I was was most uncool with?

A dude -- whom I've made my business to not have ANY business with -- shitting on me and then commenting on my parenting, on what type of father I am.

That's weird stalker shi t.
That's out of bounds, seemingly, everywhere but there.
I was also uncool with how some "friends" there allowed that to pass and let things escalate -- all while still pumping me for information re: the band.

Anonymous men with pretend names arguing with other anonymous men with pretend names screaming about "compression" and who needs "God's help" for how they chose to mix a track from 1962.
(aka "Date night on the penal colony board.")
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »

Man, I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with that, especially with everything you’ve done . Completely disgusting

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 08:08:10 PM »

I think the big thing that has put Howie in the crosshairs was that quote about "be the producer they never had," which is just about the worst optics one could ever create in such a context. That statement has never been clarified or walked back, and it seems to be fueling some of the rage about the Sounds of Summer set.

My sense is that Howie was obliquely addressing that with his comments in his recent interview about the new "Marcella" mix (and I think rab's characterization of what Howie said was spot on). And I'm 95% certain I can see the train of events that led to that mix, and to the "Mess of Help" mix as well. Thrilled and titillated by certain segments of those tracks that were isolated (as revealed on FEEL FLOWS), the new remixes attempted to build from there. Was the experiment and direction taken for those justified? Maybe. Probably. Should they have been substituted into a new major box set in place of an earlier mix or a more conventional remix? Probably not.

So perhaps efforts of that type will be walked back a bit as we get closer to a CATP/Holland set. Particularly if most folks can simply sidestep the need to air their grievances with such vehemence. Too much derision often has the opposite effect in those being criticized, and folks start to dig in their heels. Given the lingering sentiment over at the Nearest Faraway Place, however, I don't think a Zoom session is going to happen. Which may be just as well: there's enough ugliness in the world already...

I do think it's important for Howie, Alan and Mark to talk more pointedly about the role of Carl Wilson in the 1969-73 period as the "executive producer" of the LPs that were released during that time. The band clearly acknowledged that, particularly in the CATP/Holland time frame, and those productions clearly have Carl's stamp on them. Despite all the rare stuff flooding onto YouTube, what strikes me as being (arguably) the most revelatory are some of the isolations of instrumental tracks from CATP and Holland, including one for "Marcella." It's a bit crude and on the lo-fi side, but hearing the backing track on its own makes it clear (IMNSHO) that it's the only way to build a truly viable remix of the track as a whole.

Play it loud (and I do mean LOUD...) and it should be clear just how much Carl was on it, working hard at synthesizing the band's 60s archetypes with the then-current rock instrumentation that had exploded into place in the early 70s. As transcendent as Brian's best work is, Carl successfully brought the band into a changed world in a way that Brian couldn't (or wouldn't) address. He deserves a great deal of credit for doing so--and given that he's no longer with us, he really needs a champion. Alan and Mark should consider focusing on that as a way to ensure that future "inside the tracks" efforts work as well as the "Sail On Sailor" instrumental that appeared in 2000 on HAWTHORNE--a track I love so much that these days I play it more often than the full song. If they can do that with the CATP/Holland box set, it should go a long way toward "calming the hordes." I am optimistic that they will do just that...
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 08:46:16 PM »

Don, it's not the worst optics at all.
This is a comp that no one is making anyone buy, nor listen to.
(Although judging by the Billboard 200 placing -- A LOT of people have.)

When talking to Linett I was specifically addressing the '78 - '80 era when the mix never matched the material. I believe "Baby Blue" sounds gorgeous.

And for some to take away ONLY that from my SEVERAL HOURS-worth of interviews and to use it as an excuse for character assassinations against the people that conceive and provide all this content (TSS; MIC; Sunshine 1 & 2; Live Sunshine; Wake; Hear Music; Live '68; Feel Flows, et al. . . ) proves what a TREMENDOUS portion of the business thinks about "die-hard" fans. It underscores that it's really only a few levels above some rabid JFK assassination "chat group."

Dig the mixes or not.
The worst optics are that these "serious" fans look ugly and crazy.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »

Howie, thanks for your clarification. That goes a long, long way--in my mind, at least--toward putting that into context and permitting it to be set aside. I hope that your explanation will become better transmitted in this often-crazy environment so that it might help put a stop to what's been happening. I hope it will...

I feel your hurt and anger at what has been transpiring, and I'm not here to fan those flames, really. I was not justifying the responses you've had to endure in any way, shape or form; I was merely trying to locate their specific source.

I am incredibly happy that Sounds of Summer is doing well, and whatever reservations about a couple of remixes I have say as much about me as anything else. I don't believe I've taken issue with anyone's character; if you feel that way, I'm sorry that such is the case, because it was certainly not my intent.

Thanks for your incredible efforts on behalf of the band and the fans, and thanks again for the clarification.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 03:40:54 AM »

Want to clarify one thing. I see someone on the EH forum has mentioned that SS is diametrically opposed to the opinions being shared on EH - and that it is “Howie the Hero vs Howie the villain”. Not berating the poster or calling them out (as I can see why some would view this situation this way). But I’d like to clear this up a little bit:

I think most here on SS who have commented on the set have also shared some misgivings about some of the mixes (including myself). I think many here (including myself) had questions/comments regarding Howie’s initial podcast interview (as some of us didn’t agree with everything Howie said).

So it’s not that we are diametrically opposed to the opinions being shared, it is that we aren't picking every last sentence of Howie’s interviews apart. We have concerns about some of the mixes on the SoS set but we also seem to be realistic about it (no boycotts or refusal to listen to sets, etc). We commented on his initial interview but had rational dialog about it and learned a bit about Howie’s perspective along the way.

I think there is a diametrical difference between the forums, but it’s nothing to do with opinion: it is how we express those opinions and observations. And at the core of that is the people expressing those opinions. And some people on EH have been cordial about their opinions. But it is clear that some have been nothing but overtly rude to Howie and the team about this set (and the FF set). And reason being: a lot of the people who were booted off of this forum for breaking rules all congregated there. So of course the mindset that got a lot of those people banned here is manifesting there - and this has become very apparent in the past few weeks.

Edit: and I want to add that people have lied about the bans that took place here (claiming that people were banned for their opinions), but as Billy said, never has anyone linked to or shared any evidence to back up their claims. People that were banned from here broke forum rules. Also want to add that not every person banned from here has acted rudely there in this situation. And not every person who has acted rudely there in this situation was banned from here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:56:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 03:57:06 AM »

Want to clarify one thing. I see someone on the EH forum has mentioned that SS is diametrically opposed to the opinions being shared on EH - and that it is “Howie the Hero vs Howie the villain”. Not berating the poster or calling them out (as I can see why some would view this situation this way). But I’d like to clear this up a little bit:

I think most here on SS who have commented on the set have also shared some misgivings about some of the mixes (including myself). I think many here (including myself) had questions/comments regarding Howie’s initial podcast interview (as some of us didn’t agree with everything Howie said).

So it’s not that we are diametrically opposed to the opinions being shared, it is that we aren't picking every last sentence of Howie’s interviews apart. We have concerns about some of the mixes on the SoS set but we also seem to be realistic about it (no boycotts or refusal to listen to sets, etc). We commented on his initial interview but had rational dialog about it and learned a bit about Howie’s perspective along the way.

I think there is a diametrical difference between the forums, but it’s nothing to do with opinion: it is how we express those opinions and observations. And at the core of that is the people expressing those opinions. And some people on EH have been cordial about their opinions. But it is clear that some have been nothing but overtly rude to Howie and the team about this set (and the FF set). And reason being: a lot of the people who were booted off of this forum for breaking rules all congregated there. So of course the mindset that got a lot of those people banned here is manifesting there - and this has become very apparent in the past few weeks.

Edit: and I want to add that people have lied about the bans that took place here (claiming that people were banned for their opinions), but as Billy said, never has anyone linked to or shared any evidence to back up their claims. People that were banned from here broke forum rules.

Yup, and it’s just a certain segment of those who are  “bottom feeders “ (not my term) which is why I was quite clear that the issue I have has nothing to do with the opinions on the set and more to do with the attacks on Howie, which I have a huge issue with. But hey, consider the source. I don’t take heed in posts by the angry drunk grandpa, for instance; probably can’t even read the screen anymore and is one intervention away from getting the internet taken away. Hopefully the wrong people don’t take those jaundiced ramblings seriously, as I really would like to see future sets.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx