gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:26:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy 80th Birthday to Brian  (Read 5158 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »

Happy Birthday Brian!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 02:44:52 PM »

Happy 80th Birthday Brian!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2022, 03:28:08 PM »

Such a wonderful video.

You would have to wonder if Mike was asked to send a message

From Mikes Facebook

Happy Birthday Cousin. I hope that no matter where you are today, you have a blissfully wonderful day, knowing that you are loved. I Love You Cous!
Peace & Love
Mike
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »

Hoping that Brian enjoys a nice steak dinner on his 80th, looking out over the lonely sea...while being comforted to know that there are millions and millions of people in this whole world who love him and his music...and are grateful every single day for having it in their lives to heal their hurt and bring them joy.

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 04:39:48 PM »

A lot of people wishing Brian a happy birthday, wherever he may be. Where he actually is is doing a concert in Kansas City tonight. He’s done a lot of concerts on his birthday. I guess it keeps him from dwelling about his mortality when he’s busy.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 04:56:55 PM »

Just getting out of the car now to go and see THE MAN! Great weather and great venue. I'm sure something will happen to honor his birthday during the show. "Music is in my soul " because of you. See you very soon. Kansas City loves you.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2022, 05:04:51 PM »

Happy 80th Birthday to Brian Wilson, the greatest living American songwriter and composer in popular music! Brian created music which became the soundtrack to so many lives, and music which expressed emotions and feelings in his listeners which they often could not put into words but they knew how and where to find those sounds which spoke them so perfectly. The man who created an entire geographical mythology through passages of music and sound, and the man whose music continues to bring joy to countless millions around the world. The man whose music heals, saves, and enriches those often most in need of such things.

Watch a sunrise while the intro to California Girls or Wouldn't It Be Nice is playing, and watch a sunset while "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" or the coda to "Til I Die" is playing, and the power of that music in the bigger picture of life becomes crystal clear.

Here's to an amazing 80 years, we love you Brian!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2022, 05:55:52 PM »

To one of the greatest musicians of ever (objectively) and my personal favourite ever (subjectively)...  and, anyway, the only and one KING OF ROCK 'N' ROLL!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MANY HAPPY RETURNS, BRIAN! YOU'RE THE MAN! w00t!  w00t!  w00t! Thumbs Up

https://youtu.be/OPbSbFLYvIo

https://youtu.be/_gkuHQojrd0

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 06:21:16 PM by Zenobi » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 11:32:49 PM »

It's utterly fantastic to see so many of the Tony Ashers and Andy Paleys and Danny Huttons et al. of Brian's orbit participate in this.   And to his credit, Mike Love wrote some very nice words on twitter.

And speaking of twitter, very interesting to see Van Dyke Parks mark the occasion by tweeting about how HE wrote Heroes and Villains.  Roll Eyes   VDP is a great talent, and I'm a huge fan of his music and lyrics, but ....  Well, I'll shut up now.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 12:11:59 AM »

Happy birthday to the great Brian Wilson!!!! 🎂

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2022, 09:40:07 AM »

It's utterly fantastic to see so many of the Tony Ashers and Andy Paleys and Danny Huttons et al. of Brian's orbit participate in this.   And to his credit, Mike Love wrote some very nice words on twitter.

And speaking of twitter, very interesting to see Van Dyke Parks mark the occasion by tweeting about how HE wrote Heroes and Villains.  Roll Eyes   VDP is a great talent, and I'm a huge fan of his music and lyrics, but ....  Well, I'll shut up now.

You know, Van Dyke MAY have written H&V (applying one or two versions of the variable senses of that term)...but, even if he did, Brian rewrote it--many, many times! And all of those variants and snippets remain a fascinating (if labyrinthine) listen. Thank goodness Brian got over his phobia of playing it, as it seems to have been the key to getting him in the frame of mind to re-tackle SMILE.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2022, 12:08:32 PM »

The worlds most expensive Cameo lol.
Happy Birthday Brian!
I had the great fortune of attending Brian's 70 th birthday party backstage in Montreal. Crazy to think that was 10 years ago!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »

You know, Van Dyke MAY have written H&V (applying one or two versions of the variable senses of that term)...but, even if he did, Brian rewrote it--many, many times! And all of those variants and snippets remain a fascinating (if labyrinthine) listen. Thank goodness Brian got over his phobia of playing it, as it seems to have been the key to getting him in the frame of mind to re-tackle SMILE.

Pity that he did not write something like "I wrote SMiLE with Brian, including Heroes and Villains." That would have been absolutely true, while highlighting his own importance.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2022, 01:20:12 AM »

VDP's bitterness has turned me off his music quite a bit in recent years, apart from the Smile stuff and Orange Crate Art - too bad really.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2022, 03:39:53 AM »

VDP's bitterness has turned me off his music quite a bit in recent years, apart from the Smile stuff and Orange Crate Art - too bad really.

Not trying to hijack Brian’s birthday thread, but prior to my own negative experience with VDP, I already wasn’t really a fan aside from those two projects and the melody of the song later remade for TLOS

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2022, 06:22:41 AM »

Not trying to hijack Brian’s birthday thread, but prior to my own negative experience with VDP, I already wasn’t really a fan aside from those two projects and the melody of the song later remade for TLOS

Billy, if you don’t mind my asking, what was your negative experience with VDP?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2022, 09:18:07 AM »

Ever since TLOS, he has had a bug up his ass about Brian and I can’t figure out why. It’s very disappointing that he used Brian’s birthday to belittle him.  When Mike Love shows more class….

I would also agree that Van has gotten bitter over the years. Maybe because he never had Randy Newman-level success.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2022, 12:27:01 PM »

Billy, if you don’t mind my asking, what was your negative experience with VDP?

He made mention of one of my posts here in an interview and referred to me as an anti-intellectual* in addition to insulting a then-member here (by name) in the same piece.

*which is hilarious…in “real life” I’ve been called pretentious, I’ve been called a hipster douche, but that was a new one to me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »

Apologies to all for first mentioning the VDP comment and derailing the thread.... but since it's too late to undo that, here's the VDP tweet for posterity;;

Brian Wilson was born June 20, 1942. So I wrote heroes and villains one day.

He followed that with a link to a Google search of the song.

Before his non-participation with the Smile Sessions box, did anyone know he was angry/bitter toward Brian?  I don't remember noticing anything before that.  Hard to believe the box was 11 years ago.  It's a long time to carry a grudge.  Kinda sad. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 05:23:41 AM »

@Billy, that sucks. I don’t know the full context, but VDPs has definitely been more edgy in recent years. Perhaps like the rest of us, the internet has made him more cynical.

Honestly, even with his recent idiosyncrasies, I don’t mind the guy. He has always followed the beat of his own drum, which is very admirable. His Song Cycle album is fascinating to hear through the lens of its inspiration from the Smile Sessions. I love the Esso Steel Trinidad Band album (and accompanying documentary). And Discover America will always be one of my favorite albums from the 70s.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »

Does anyone know if David Marks posted anything? (IIRC Bruce also doesn’t have “social media” other than the I believe now-defunct Beach Boys Britain board?)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx