gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:53:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are the Beach Boys charting so high at the moment?  (Read 5087 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2022, 05:19:26 PM »

Sorry for the stupid thread but I noticed three different Beach Boys albums are in the top 50 of itunes at the moment. Also charting very high on amazon. Did I miss something?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:20:00 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 05:37:23 PM »

Probably Stranger Things?

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:28:04 PM »

Sorry for the stupid thread but I noticed three different Beach Boys albums are in the top 50 of itunes at the moment. Also charting very high on amazon. Did I miss something?
Which albums would those be? Sounds of Summer and what else?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 06:52:14 PM »

Must be that, I don't watch the show, had no idea they were on the soundtrack

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 06:52:42 PM »

Which albums would those be? Sounds of Summer and what else?

Two greatest hits and Pet Sounds

The usual suspects

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 07:33:58 PM »

Must be that, I don't watch the show, had no idea they were on the soundtrack

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,28109.0.html

In one of the opening scenes of the first episode, no less. And we were just talking about how Kate Bush got a huge bump from her song being in the show (well, it is in like 6 episodes or something) and the BB's California Dreamin is approaching 10 million streams and became their second biggest song on streaming, yet Kate got a ton of publicity (rightfully so) while the BB's really didn't get much in the press. And when they did, the articles referenced the Mamas & Papas original and not even the BB's version!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 07:35:04 PM »

It's good to see Pet Sounds in there, I wonder if anything specific contributed to that bump in the charts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 08:41:34 PM »

As I stated in the other thread (the SOS thread), the tide has been turning for the band for a while now. It’s mostly due to the millennials and Gen Z folks. This is a band that averaged a gain of 1500-2000 new Spotify followers a *day* for about 6 month’s time (currently averaging 1500 new a day per Chartmetric).  It’s even higher on YouTube. The age group of their fan base is younger compared to their peers in the 60s and 70s .

I’ve seen more than one post here and the other place  stating The Beach Boys would never been ranked along the classic rock greats like the Beatles and the Stones . Crazy part is, these are the only two places that say that ! Pretty much everyone else already has them on the same level. It seems like the only people who don’t give The Beach Boys their proper respect are their own fans

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Trixiecomments
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 09:12:25 PM »

It's good to see Pet Sounds in there, I wonder if anything specific contributed to that bump in the charts.

In addition to Stranger Things…. Long Promised Road, the recent documentary about Brian, debuted on US public television’s American Masters series this week and is now available for streaming via PBS stations. Having it available over the air and streaming on PBS  brings the film to a huge audience that didn’t make it to the theater last summer. There’s been a fair amount of media coverage which likely caused some folks to watch the movie and buy some music.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 09:15:52 PM »

Thanks for the info guitarfool. Stranger things and the Long Promised Road doc causing a surge in interest in the catalogue

Great Post Billy C. The Beach Boys are timeless, us hardcores are way over critical 😂

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 09:16:42 PM »

In addition to Stranger Things…. Long Promised Road, the recent documentary about Brian, debuted on US public television’s American Masters series this week and is now available for streaming via PBS stations. Having it available over the air and streaming on PBS  brings the film to a huge audience that didn’t make it to the theater last summer. There’s been a fair amount of media coverage which likely caused some folks to watch the movie and buy some music.

Thanks for this info

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 09:47:42 PM »

Plus on amazon’s digital chart the little duece coupe lp is at #51.

And amazon is now out of stock of the version of pet sounds that has been charting the past few days. That has caused pet sounds to fall over a 100 places in amazon’s chart.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:50:15 PM by Original Album » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 08:59:25 AM »

As I stated in the other thread (the SOS thread), the tide has been turning for the band for a while now. It’s mostly due to the millennials and Gen Z folks. This is a band that averaged a gain of 1500-2000 new Spotify followers a *day* for about 6 month’s time (currently averaging 1500 new a day per Chartmetric).  It’s even higher on YouTube. The age group of their fan base is younger compared to their peers in the 60s and 70s .

I’ve seen more than one post here and the other place  stating The Beach Boys would never been ranked along the classic rock greats like the Beatles and the Stones . Crazy part is, these are the only two places that say that ! Pretty much everyone else already has them on the same level. It seems like the only people who don’t give The Beach Boys their proper respect are their own fans

Yep. It’s like a part of the fandom has resigned itself to thinking that the Boys will never get respect.  And this why some of us are frustrated.  Saying the BB are “kitsch” really is an insult to The Beach Boys, their music, their artistry, and their talent.  The thing that Howie and others are trying to say is that the Boys DESERVE to be mentioned in the same breath as the Beatles and the Stones.  Their body of work is every bit as great as the Beatles et. al and has had almost as much as a cultural impact, too.  Calling them “kitsch” or “malt shop memories” sells their art and short and I, as a fan, am glad that there are people who are trying to change that.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 10:14:54 AM »

And amazon is now out of stock of the version of pet sounds that has been charting the past few days. That has caused pet sounds to fall over a 100 places in amazon’s chart.

I expect nothing less from Capital records

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 11:07:10 AM »

Capital records has nothing to do about this. Amazon had the inventory. Amazon sold out. Even they didn’t know there would be a bigger demand for that lp. They have reordered more from Capital.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »

Capital records has nothing to do about this. Amazon had the inventory. Amazon sold out. Even they didn’t know there would be a bigger demand for that lp. They have reordered more from Capital.

I stand by what I said even though I'm probably wrong on this specific point

But in general I don't like how Capitol handle the catalogue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:35:37 AM by Shady » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 12:23:42 PM »

As far as I can tell, there are multiple version of "Pet Sounds" still in stock on Amazon US, both on CD and vinyl. And obviously digital purchases don't sell out. And streaming is obviously what it is.

I don't see the problem. And as others have said, I'd look to Amazon first rather than Capitol for stocking issues. I mean, I guess if there's a specific pressing/version, and it's still in-print but out of stock *everywhere*, then maybe one could look to Capitol for blame. But even then, there are like a thousand versions of this album available in tons of formats.

I don't see there being many people that fall into the category of being a new enough to need to pick up "Pet Sounds" for the first time, but also be super picky about only buying one particular version/edition/pressing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 01:36:26 PM »

Down to cost. Mono/stereo for under  $10. Plus it was marked as amazon choice. That version was the one charting this week. Last evening they sold out. Slowly getting new stock.

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 02:39:13 PM »

I’ve seen more than one post here and the other place  stating The Beach Boys would never been ranked along the classic rock greats like the Beatles and the Stones . Crazy part is, these are the only two places that say that !

Care to point where this was ever said by anyone?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 09:09:25 PM »

Sure

Anyone in charge of marketing and promotion for the Beach Boys needs to stop framing them as "classic rock à la the Beatles and Rolling Stones." If you can't appreciate the fact that the Beach Boys are inimitably kitsch at heart, then you're probably not qualified to be the arbiter of what's "cool" about them.

That particular one was easy to find , as you said it.

I’m not posting the EH comments here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »

Having the Brent Wilson doc playing on PBS is huge in terms of explaining the Brian Wilson story to the general public. 
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »

The one with Jason Fine.? Just fabulous. Waited years for something like this.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 09:31:10 PM »

The one with Jason Fine.? Just fabulous. Waited years for something like this.

Yes, correct.   I just rewatched on the PBS app, which, by the way, indicates that it's the #4 most watched PBS show of the week after the PBS Newshour, Masterpiece Theatre-Endeavor and Nova.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 04:37:00 PM »

People need something healing due to the times we live in--and, even though they had more than their share of squabbles, debacles, and tragedy, the Beach Boys resonate two levels of healing--Mike's "positivity" and Brian's "musical spirituality." They remind us of the beauty in life that can still be found around us, even in a "Strange World" that is more often than filled with cruel and unusual punishment. Despite a few unfortunate faux pas over the years, the band's music still transcends politics, and creates its own "blossom world" for our ears and our souls. People keep gravitating back to them because they know, deep down, that no one else embodies such basic truths and complex realities, and no one else has the depth of classic songs, whether they be hit or deep cut or downright off-the-wall--or as transcendent and mindblowing as any "classical" composer. Right now, Brian's story, the canny placement of their music in the current zeitgeist, and the re-emergence of both touring groups is something for the public to hang onto as they wait for life to return to normal and find room for Brian's central message to us all: love and mercy. Boy, do we need it, and boy are we lucky that most of the band is still with us, each portion giving us a portal to the vision of joy and harmony that otherwise seems so elusive.

We saw this happen in a somewhat similar way in 1975-76, and while the band has never been able to find its "third wind" after the early years and the 1967-73 peregrinations, the essence of what they provide for us is still intact, and is needed maybe more than ever. Despite a couple of really crappy mixes, the Sounds of Summer set is going to help a lot of folks have a summer with the best musical companions they could ever hope for. I only wish Carl and Dennis were here to see it as well. And Billy Hinsche.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 04:47:32 PM »

Well said Don

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx