gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:58:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The original sandbox ??  (Read 1222 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2022, 08:16:19 AM »

This picture was posted on facebook by "THE BEACH BOYS: The Album Sleeves". Is this the original sandbox? AFAIK we never had any pictures of it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 08:27:06 AM »

It sure seems like it. The curtain definitely matches the detailed description someone (Marilyn?) once made.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 08:58:23 AM »

The photo is on the back cover of Brian's tour program. On Facebook, David Leaf said, "It's Brian, at his piano, in the sandbox, circa fall 1966."

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 11:18:25 PM »

The kiddie wallpaper is also interesting... and consistent with the childhood themes that seemed to have Brian's attention in the Pet Sounds/Smile era.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 06:14:03 AM »

I never thought we'd see a picture of this. Even though I know it actually existed, it always seemed so mythical to me for many reasons, but one being there were never any photos of it. Truly fascinating. Thanks for posting this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »

The kiddie wallpaper is also interesting... and consistent with the childhood themes that seemed to have Brian's attention in the Pet Sounds/Smile era.

Curtain, not wallpaper. Here's Marilyn's explanation:

"He had a runner along the ceiling, like a curtain rod, and he wanted to close off the sandbox like a room. A lady from a yardage shop came to the house, and he picked out the material...the pattern he wanted was little children playing, so it would be like little babies playing in the sand. Toddlers sitting with their buckets. It was a drawing. The idea was that he would pull the curtains closed, and it would feel like you were at the beach."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx