gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:49:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Featured Prominently in New Season of "Stranger Things"  (Read 4393 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:27:36 AM »

I assumed someone else would have mentioned this by now (and if they did, my apologies), but the BB’s “California Dreamin’” is featured prominently in the new season of “Stranger Things” on Netflix. It’s the first song featured in the first episode of the new fourth season. Sounds like the show got access to the multitracks, as they drop the vocals in and out during some dialogue and whatnot. It isn’t a little quickie feature either, the song is re-edited and vocals come and go underneath one of the first scenes in the first episode.

Anyway, I thought it would be worth mentioning that the Beach Boys are featured at the very front end of what was probably this past weekend the most popular show in the world. 

The song is also on the soundtrack release of the fourth season as well:

https://open.spotify.com/album/62YEXS8uOu8fUlCrU3ideq

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 04:07:12 PM »

And Heroes and Villains is the soundtrack for Amazon's 'The Boys' new season 3 trailer video. Guess somebody's hard at work out there working those licensing deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8VYKUZYiw

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:23:58 AM »

And Heroes and Villains is the soundtrack for Amazon's 'The Boys' new season 3 trailer video. Guess somebody's hard at work out there working those licensing deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8VYKUZYiw

Surprised hearing that in the theatre before seeing Top Gun Maverick.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 02:06:31 PM »

I was about to post this last week but did not want to spoiler it.  Grin  Since I am watching with subtitles it is interesting that the song is there introduced as by the Mamas and the Papas.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 12:39:32 AM »

It's weird to me to see the 80's nostalgia happening right now. In 1986 I was 10 y/o and saw my first concert (The Beach Boys at Mud Island, Memphis, TN). IIRC, "The Beach Boys" album had come out the year before and the "Made In U.S.A." compilation had just been released to support that years tour, including the "California Dreamin'" cover.

Now I have 13 year old daughters who are into this show (and others) and it's a little bizarre to hear nostalgia discussions about an era I was coming of age in.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 12:42:31 AM »

Not "California Dreamin'" but another relic of that same time.

"Getcha Back" video from 1985. My first favorite Beach Boys song... Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6P6Dfhhv60

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 09:42:12 AM »

Yeah it was definitely cool hearing that open the new season.  Too bad it was completely overshadowed by that Kate Bush song that even shot up to number 1 on the music charts though.

Also a little bummed they didn't think to put this song on the Sounds Of Summer compilation.  Would have been a good tie-in and I'm sure no one would have missed "Pom Pom Play Girl"...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:47:58 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »

Yeah it was definitely cool hearing that open the new season.  Too bad it was completely overshadowed by that Kate Bush song that even shot up to number 1 on the music charts though.

Also a little bummed they didn't think to put this song on the Sounds Of Summer compilation.  Would have been a good tie-in and I'm sure no one would have missed "Pom Pom Play Girl"...

That's what I was saying in another discussion, it looks like a missed opportunity and the marketing dept. seems to have missed the boat on one of the bigger mainstream uses of the band's music in recent years. Kate Bush got major media attention for scoring that #1, maybe she had better PR teams or it was just a fluke, but Kate's success was getting reported across major media channels and when articles appeared about music in the show, too many of them mistakenly linked to or cited the Mamas & Papas version of the tune, totally getting it wrong.

Today is also Record Store Drop Day, and it would have been cool to have a Stranger Things/BB's tie-in 45rpm or something with California Dreamin available in the shops. I didn't see any BB's products coming out today at all, and there were news reports about this "Drop" event at record shops. It would have been a nice cross-promotion that seems to have been ignored.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »

I love that Kate is getting attention, it's well deserved. She has one of the sweetest voices in pop history and it's great that a whole new generation is discovering her music. Hopefully they'll listen to all of "House of Love", "The Sensual World" and "The Red Shoes".

Funny thing, I remember hearing both "Getcha Back" and "Running Up That Hill" at the skating rink regularly when I was 10/11. Smiley

It's currently a 1986 world and we're all just living in it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »

No doubt, I think it's great Kate's music is getting such a boost from the show - well deserved! In 1986-87 I was most familiar with Kate's voice from her work with Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up" and "Games Without Frontiers". A friend at the time was a major Gabriel fan and dubbed his music from several albums onto cassette for me, and I loved those two tracks. And I listen regularly to WXPN, who was playing that specific track getting all the attention on a semi-regular basis before the show.

I just think it was a pretty major missed opportunity fro the BB's not to do some tie-ins or cross-promotions especially with new product coming out and a record store day thing happening today, it would have been cool to see even some of the attention Kate's music received or at least give the band even more of a marketing boost since their song was so prominent.

And was it just me or did McGuinn's 12-string Rickenbacker sound even better when it was on the show than I remember?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 09:52:12 AM »

The Beach Boys' YouTube channel just posted a new "Remastered in HD" version of the "California Dreamin'" music video.

It doesn't look like it was actually scanned in HD from film elements and whatnot, but it does look better than other versions floating around on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 11:12:05 AM »

Now I understand why “California Dreamin’” received the loudest cheers, mostly from young(er) fans at the Beach Boys’ show in Tilburg recently
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 06:45:41 AM »

No doubt, I think it's great Kate's music is getting such a boost from the show - well deserved! In 1986-87 I was most familiar with Kate's voice from her work with Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up" and "Games Without Frontiers". A friend at the time was a major Gabriel fan and dubbed his music from several albums onto cassette for me, and I loved those two tracks. And I listen regularly to WXPN, who was playing that specific track getting all the attention on a semi-regular basis before the show.

I just think it was a pretty major missed opportunity fro the BB's not to do some tie-ins or cross-promotions especially with new product coming out and a record store day thing happening today, it would have been cool to see even some of the attention Kate's music received or at least give the band even more of a marketing boost since their song was so prominent.

And was it just me or did McGuinn's 12-string Rickenbacker sound even better when it was on the show than I remember?

It was a pleasant surprise for the season to open with a Beach Boys song.  Unfortunately I don't think it resonated with the fans anywhere near as well as the Kate Bush song which had a far stronger emotional impact on any of the scenes it was featured in. 

Maybe when season 5 rolls out they'll find a way to incorporate "Kokomo" into the mix to have the same impact.  🤣

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »

It was a pleasant surprise for the season to open with a Beach Boys song.  Unfortunately I don't think it resonated with the fans anywhere near as well as the Kate Bush song which had a far stronger emotional impact on any of the scenes it was featured in. 

Maybe when season 5 rolls out they'll find a way to incorporate "Kokomo" into the mix to have the same impact.  🤣

If they somehow fast forward the timeline a few years in the plot, that could happen! It would be a toss up between Kokomo and "Don't Worry Be Happy". As long as they end the series before the characters can be shown watching "Baywatch" when the "Summer Of Love" video comes on.

Another song getting a lot of attention is Metallica's "Master Of Puppets", which had a lot of emotional weight to it in the show and which was a pretty awesome scene. When I first saw it, I was thinking this could backfire and come off as cheesy, but wow...just wow...how they managed to make it fun, funny, and very emotional (actually it's one of the coolest single scenes I've seen) is a testament to how good the writers and producers are at doing this kind of thing, and how good the actors really are.

I don't know if the sales and downloads jumped for Metallica as they did Kate (I reckon they did), but the band even commented on how great of a scene that was.

Not for nothing, but it seems someone is listening to all this in Beach Boys Land since they uploaded a cleaned-up HD version of California Dreamin' on YouTube. A little late, but it's there.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 09:01:13 AM »

Yeah, the BB track isn't getting as much attention as the Kate Bush song, which was integral to the actual plot of multiple episodes of the show. But as far as the show is concerned, that's probably for the better as it would seem ridiculous if they not only shoved a bunch of "needle drops" into the show (which they've always done), but tried to make a bunch of them actual plot points.

But the BB track is getting more attention than anything in quite some time; as I mentioned earlier, it bumped "Kokomo" as the most popular song on Spotify, which is the first time I can ever remember "Kokomo" not being at the top.

I suppose technically the BB song would have to be laid over the show as it was, as opposed to being part of the plot, as the season is set in March 1986 and "California Dreamin'" didn't come out until later in the year as a single and on "Made in USA."

This is still probably the most popular song placement the BBs have had in ages. It's probably for the best it's getting the amount of attention it is and not more. The quickness with which popular stuff gets around the internet and social media can quickly lead to complaints of a song being "overexposed." Backlashes happen much faster now. I watch this show and I have no problem with the Kate Bush track, and I don't even go out of my way to read articles about the show or the song placements, and even I'm kind of sick of hearing about the song!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »

As The Beach Boys and Metallica are my two favorite bands , and Kate Bush is one of my daughter’s biggest influences, I might actually start watching the show even though I am not a TV person* by any stretch.

*Seriously. I watch stuff on YouTube mainly

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »

As The Beach Boys and Metallica are my two favorite bands , and Kate Bush is one of my daughter’s biggest influences, I might actually start watching the show even though I am not a TV person* by any stretch.

The first season is still the best I'd say. As usual, so many people have to either LOOOOVVVE something or hate hardcore on it, and this show is almost annoyingly hugely popular, so it's easy to hate on it. I just enjoy it for what it is (and not in a patronizing "for what it is" way). The show is not like groundbreaking work. And it's definitely built on pastiche in varying ways over the seasons. People who grew up during the show's timeframe (currently 1983-1986) seem to either really love it or hate it for being too pandering. If you're *super* familiar with a ton of 80s genre movies, then the show could easily seem too derivative.

If you're into 80s synthy scores, it's got a nice score through all the seasons.

The show has gotten somewhat more pandering and bloated and fan-servicey as the seasons have gone on.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57:54 AM »

Any artist that would get their song on the show would likely only celebrate it. It’s a ton of exposure, and apparently even with the pennies that Spotify pays artists, at least Kate Bush is apparently bringing in some huge bucks.

But I can’t say much of any of the songs featured prominently in the show really reflect the artists a ton or are integral to the plot thematically. There are a few. Even the Kate Bush track could have easily been another song and still worked with the plot. The fact that the character listens to the song is what’s integral to the plot, more than the content of the song itself.

Artists being pleasantly surprised by the success this show’s exposure brings them is really more akin to an artist having a weird surprise hit, rather than the show really deeply delving into the thematic nature of the songs or the artist in question.

But yeah, this is easily the most exposure Al Jardine and Carl Wilson’s voices have seen in eons. The song has never left Mike’s setlist; I’m a bit surprised Al isn’t doing the song with Brian currently. But, especially prior to the BB’s social media picking up on the song’s success and upgrading the video on YouTube, etc., it wouldn’t have surprised me if Al had no idea about the song being in the show.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2022, 12:34:35 PM »

The first season is still the best I'd say. As usual, so many people have to either LOOOOVVVE something or hate hardcore on it, and this show is almost annoyingly hugely popular, so it's easy to hate on it. I just enjoy it for what it is (and not in a patronizing "for what it is" way). The show is not like groundbreaking work. And it's definitely built on pastiche in varying ways over the seasons. People who grew up during the show's timeframe (currently 1983-1986) seem to either really love it or hate it for being too pandering. If you're *super* familiar with a ton of 80s genre movies, then the show could easily seem too derivative.

If you're into 80s synthy scores, it's got a nice score through all the seasons.

The show has gotten somewhat more pandering and bloated and fan-servicey as the seasons have gone on.

I gotta say I'm not into the horror genre much at all (this isn't hardcore horror, but it is certainly in the weird/creepy/horror realm), but I really liked this show. I haven't started the latest season, just been too busy. But the first season is really well done - keeps you on the edge of your seat, has its touching moments, and the acting is great - they picked some really good actors to play the kids. The 2nd and 3rd seasons are good too. But yeah, the first one is definitely my favorite.

Looking forward to hearing The Beach Boys in the new season!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 01:43:52 PM »

Any artist that would get their song on the show would likely only celebrate it. It’s a ton of exposure, and apparently even with the pennies that Spotify pays artists, at least Kate Bush is apparently bringing in some huge bucks.

But I can’t say much of any of the songs featured prominently in the show really reflect the artists a ton or are integral to the plot thematically. There are a few. Even the Kate Bush track could have easily been another song and still worked with the plot. The fact that the character listens to the song is what’s integral to the plot, more than the content of the song itself.

Artists being pleasantly surprised by the success this show’s exposure brings them is really more akin to an artist having a weird surprise hit, rather than the show really deeply delving into the thematic nature of the songs or the artist in question.

But yeah, this is easily the most exposure Al Jardine and Carl Wilson’s voices have seen in eons. The song has never left Mike’s setlist; I’m a bit surprised Al isn’t doing the song with Brian currently. But, especially prior to the BB’s social media picking up on the song’s success and upgrading the video on YouTube, etc., it wouldn’t have surprised me if Al had no idea about the song being in the show.

MATT: Dad, the BB version of California Dreaming was used on Stranger Things!
AL: Golly gee whiz, that’s great! *pause* What’s Stranger Things?
MATT: It’s a TV show on Netflix.
Al: Golly gee whiz, that’s great! *pause* What’s Netflix?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »

The Metallica scene is epic, seriously. Wait until you get caught up to the current season and see that. I was skeptical at first, but it was epic.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »

I have to disagree with the point in bold. Many of the songs are a perfect fit for the scene or the underlying plot, maybe not in an overarching way but for individual scenes. I'm thinking of the "Material Girl" montage in the mall last season, that was a brilliant use of a period song which matched the scene perfectly. Same with "Pass The Dutchie" by Musical Youth from the recent season, it was an obvious choice for the scene, didn't have a lot to do with the overall plot, but it worked perfectly for that specific scene. And it got renewed interest in that song too, which was cool to see because I always loved that record.

I do have to rewatch the previous seasons though, to see what I forgot or missed. But I never felt like the music didn't have a point in being heard under the scenes, it always seemed to fit and wasn't like Scorcese in The Departed which felt like he was just throwing classic rock records he liked onto the soundtrack, as opposed to Goodfellas where the music fit the scenes and the plot almost too perfectly.

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »

And we had Jeff Fostkett singing the song featured in the Season 4 trailer (A Place in California) written by Jeramiah Burnham.   It was totally BB sounding.  It's not a period piece so it won't be on the actual show or soundtrack, but it was a nice fit in the trailer either way.  It made me seek out the song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »

I don't think any of the music in the show has been pointless. It tends to fit just fine. I just feel like it enhances the show for fans of the show much, much more than it is like going to be a huge exciting moment for fans of a specific song/band who aren't big fans of the show.

I was just speaking to the idea of like grabbing a fan of these band/songs and setting it up as if the show has some epic payoff that those fans would like, when usually it's just an era-accurate, pleasant "needle drop" that serves the scene/show well.

Some of the "needle drops" over the course of the show are just overlaid; they aren't "diegetic" as they say. The characters can't hear the songs. When songs *are* actually playing in the show's "universe", it's usually in the background. Only in a few cases ("Should I Stay or Should I Go" in the first season, "Running Up that Hill" in the fourth season) is it *integral* to the plot, as in the plot actually turning on the use of the song. And even in those cases, while one can glean some thematic tie-ins to those songs, they are more integral to the plot because they are an important/familiar song to a character or characters.

I don't have any problems with the music in the show. Some folks feel it's pandering to the era and sometimes gimmicky. I dunno.

I do think the subplot in Season 4 with the Argyle character is not particularly interesting, and it's a pretty stock, not very creative "stoner" type character, and the guy playing "Pass the Dutchie" on a loop in his car was pretty uninspired. But maybe that was the point. Like, I was almost going to joke that he'd be playing that song and have a copy of "High Times" in his car, and both of those things actually ended up happening.

I also thought the Eddie character and the stuff with Metallica was pretty boilerplate and underdeveloped; young fans unfamiliar with this stuff eat it up of course. While I like the show, I'm fascinated with how thinly-sketched, one-dimensional characters get some epic followings. But they know the formula.

It is kind of funny though, that the use of the Bush song is predicated on having to play a character's favorite song. I actually saw someone comment online that their favorite song would have to be "We Built This City", so I had to imagine "We Built This City" playing during all of these tense, emotional scenes.

In any event, it's pretty fortunate that they worked a BB song into the show, as the timeframe (1983-86 so far) doesn't leave much to work with on the BB front. It's BB '85 and the two '86 singles, and that's about it.

It's also kind of funny that it might not be that much of an exaggeration that the show spends more on the music budget than it does paying the actors, even with oldschool Netflix money being thrown around.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 10:58:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »

Everyone fell in love with the Eddie character but I found him to be almost instantly irritating when he was introduced.  He eventually grew on me but I never saw the appeal.  

But Stranger Things is a fun, engaging show.  Season 1 is damn near perfectly executed, seasons 2 and 3 aren't bad but you will have to power through some of it, and season 4 has been an excellent return to form.  

Here's hoping in season 5 that they use something off of Summer In Paradise.   After the kids save they day they celebrate on the beach and the show closes with "Summer Of Love" ending with Mike's tag, "It's a looooove thing"...🤣
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 05:36:41 AM by Awesoman » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx