gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:19:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up thought up in 1963?  (Read 9013 times)
Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »

...I heard this strangest of rumours. It is said that a tape exists of some '63 sessions, where Brian is returning from the bathroom and heading for a bottle of cold Coke. He is humming to himself, and very, very clearly the main theme of 'Surf's Up' can be discerned, as well as 'Woody Woodpecker', somewhat later. Then someone (Mike?) shouts from afar something like: '...straying again Bri?'. Brian suddenly stops and audibly opens a bottle. All the while this tape has been running, which now stops.
At first I thought it was a complete and utter prank, until I realized that I would have said the same about Back Home, released in 1976, but first recorded around the same time.
My source tells me that said tape is in the hands of Japanese collectors, who would be willing to auction it off... or not. If CDRs already exist, I do not know.
Anyway, all of this would be of the greatest musicological value, I am sure.
Anyone know more?
CLF
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »

He may have had that rolling melody in his head for a long time before he sat down and put it to music. It'd be pretty cool to hear that still.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »

Didn't Al Jardine say that "Heroes & Villains" was one of the first songs they sang as a group? But I think he meant it in an other way....
Anyway, if such a tape exists, it would be very interesting

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:42:50 AM »

I read Al's remark as saying that the barbershop style of the song was something they had been doing since the start.

Intersting comments about SU.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »

There are things saying that the group went to the studio excited to do a track telling of the Old West and Cowboys and stuff. Probably something to do with how they actually sung on the track together.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »

Ever seen the Beatles First American Visit video? There's a scene in a hotel room in 1964 where Lennon is tootling around on a melodica (a kid's toy instrument) and starts playing what would become the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever"!

Some musical ideas take a long time to gestate....
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »

It would be a major find if it were true.  Huge ramifications with regards to how Wilson's gestation from "gifted" to "gilded" really occured.
Chris D.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 01:26:55 PM »

It would be a major find if it were true.  Huge ramifications with regards to how Wilson's gestation from "gifted" to "gilded" really occured.

So I guess he wrote it in 4 nights, then?

There are things saying that the group went to the studio excited to do a track telling of the Old West and Cowboys and stuff.

That's true, it's called "Do You Remember the Raping of the Indians?"
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

Sure the American Dream wiped a bunch of Indians out, but the first settlers to the land came in peace and were greeted with nothing less.

Chris D.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »

Where did you read that?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »

Ever seen the Beatles First American Visit video? There's a scene in a hotel room in 1964 where Lennon is tootling around on a melodica (a kid's toy instrument) and starts playing what would become the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever"!

Would you know where abouts this is? I don't feel like watching through the whole thing

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »

Sure the American Dream wiped a bunch of Indians out, but the first settlers to the land came in peace and were greeted with nothing less.

Genocide can't adequately be described with the term "bunch."  That's for bananas.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 03:57:16 AM »

Any news on that tape  ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 05:15:18 AM »

...I heard this strangest of rumours. It is said that a tape exists of some '63 sessions, where Brian is returning from the bathroom and heading for a bottle of cold Coke. He is humming to himself, and very, very clearly the main theme of 'Surf's Up' can be discerned, as well as 'Woody Woodpecker', somewhat later. Then someone (Mike?) shouts from afar something like: '...straying again Bri?'. Brian suddenly stops and audibly opens a bottle. All the while this tape has been running, which now stops.
At first I thought it was a complete and utter prank, until I realized that I would have said the same about Back Home, released in 1976, but first recorded around the same time.
My source tells me that said tape is in the hands of Japanese collectors, who would be willing to auction it off... or not. If CDRs already exist, I do not know.
Anyway, all of this would be of the greatest musicological value, I am sure.
Anyone know more?
CLF

Yes, but 'Back Home', being a rather straightforward R&B type of song, is a lot more believable as an early 60s tune than Surf's Up.  Intriguing, but sounds likely to be a story spread by those who would like people to believe this type of thing, particularly with the rather damning insinuation about Mike.  If the recording does exist, I suppose it might well be a fake.  Still, I'd love to be proved wrong!

Then again, When I'm 64 turned out to be one of McCartney's earliest songs - a different thing again perhaps but not at all the type of thing you'd have thought Paul would have been writing in very early 1960s (or even late 50s?)

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:13:36 AM »

Seems entirely possible to me, too.  It's not totally unprecedented for that period.  It was just several months after Smile that they reworked "Thinkin' About You Baby" into "Darlin'," right?
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 07:28:55 AM »

Seems entirely possible to me, too.  It's not totally unprecedented for that period.  It was just several months after Smile that they reworked "Thinkin' About You Baby" into "Darlin'," right?

Yes, but Darlin' at root a generic R&B song.  Surely Surf's Up would show a musical imagination far in advance of anything you might have guessed in 1963.  Be like hearing a tape of John Lennon humming Strawberry Fields Forever in 1963.  Just sounds a bit like wishful thinking to me.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 10:10:57 AM »

I really don't see anything like that as being out of the ordinary. I myself (not that I'm comparing myself to Brian or John) have had melodies in my head for years.. and with how amazing Surf's Up and Strawberry Fields are it's not surprising at all that they took a few years to be worked out in their heads..

And besides, this fits perfectly into Brian's habit for revisiting music that he wrote years ago; hell, didn't we prove that some of his solo albums have absolutely no new material on them?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »

Interesting comment about the intro to Strawberry Fields, I also read somewhere that Ringo wrote Don't Pass Me By in 1963.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 12:11:14 PM »

A melody is a certain sequence of notes pertaining to a certain key.

How much of the tune did he actually hum?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that.

Well when this topic first came about I thought "Whoah this is cool", now i'm just thinking it's not really a big deal because of that.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 12:16:05 PM »

I know, just fodain' with ya.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »

YES!  I had about decided I was imagining it.  Also, we know part of "H & V" existed in 1964, at least- "All Dressed Up For School".

What I'd really love to see turn up is "I'm Waiting For The Day" from 1964.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 01:38:10 PM »

HI JOE!!!!!!!!!!!

Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »

Interesting comment about the intro to Strawberry Fields, I also read somewhere that Ringo wrote Don't Pass Me By in 1963.

Yeah, they talked about it in a BBC interview in (I think) '65.  Ringo talks about a song he'd written, and one of them says "don't pass me by, don't make me cry, don't make me blue..." and that they'd never record it because it was based on an old melody that others had already done to death.

That is a melody.  So add some music to your day.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx