gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up thought up in 1963?  (Read 9009 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »

Ha, apparently all of the songs Ringo wrote for the Beatles besides the three (I think) that ended up on the albums were turned down because they subconciously robbed the melody from someone else's song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »

Interesting comment about the intro to Strawberry Fields, I also read somewhere that Ringo wrote Don't Pass Me By in 1963.

Yeah, they talked about it in a BBC interview in (I think) '65.  Ringo talks about a song he'd written, and one of them says "don't pass me by, don't make me cry, don't make me blue..." and that they'd never record it because it was based on an old melody that others had already done to death.

That is a melody.  So add some music to your day.

He talked about it before that in Australia during their August tour. Paul even sings the chorus.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 09:30:30 PM »

I read Al's remark as saying that the barbershop style of the song was something they had been doing since the start.

Intersting comments about SU.

“In fact, ‘Heroes And Villains’ at the start, was one of the first things we ever did, really early on, even before we recorded ‘Surfin'; We were working on that song way back in '61. We all became instruments for Brian's barber shop concept. He said, ‘Let's all do this, let's sing this idea.’ Carl would be one instrument, I'd be another. Mike would be another instrument. “
-Al Jardine (Goldmine -“A Beach Boy Still Riding The Waves” July 28, 2000)

HEROES AND VILLAINS BACK IN ’61:

“Yeah, the idea, not the song. We started singing a capella first because we didn't play instruments. With none of us really being players, we would just scat in the car going to a show or something or going to school, anywhere. “
-Al Jardine (Goldmine -“A Beach Boy Still Riding The Waves” July 28, 2000)

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 06:03:47 AM »

Ever seen the Beatles First American Visit video? There's a scene in a hotel room in 1964 where Lennon is tootling around on a melodica (a kid's toy instrument) and starts playing what would become the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever"!

Some musical ideas take a long time to gestate....

It should be pointed out that there is no strong evidence to suggest that what John played on that melodica in 1964 had anything to do with the mellotron intro to the song several years later.

For one, it's Paul who plays the mellotron intro on the final recording. John's demos of the song in late 1966 as well as the first studio take of the song do not have that mellotron intro at all. I'm not saying Paul neccesarily wrote that intro, but I don't see any strong connection between what John played in '64 and what either Paul added to Take 2 and on (or what John could have instructed Paul to play).

Also, what John plays on that melodica is really only three notes that match the first three notes of the intro on the finished record. The tempo and way in which the notes are played is completely different.

Anything is possible, but this seems to be quite believable as an interesting coincidence.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx