gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:10:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An old story of mine I posted over on Hoffman  (Read 1503 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »

My favorite story:

I taped a song off the AM radio on a car trip with my folks, when I was 10. Thought it was a Beatles track circa Rubber Soul, but it wasn't. Not Badfinger or The Raspberries either. The DJ on my tape didn't say the song title or the band name. And I couldn't tell the title from the lyrics--because they were the first two words, which I'd cut off.

Played my tape for everybody--"sounds familiar, but I don't know" was always the answer.

After 12 years, a local radio DJ told me it was a single by a local (Iowa) band called Westminist'r, somewhere near Fort Dodge. Went to the downtown library and looked in the Fort Dodge city directory, under "Recording"--there was Westminist'r Sound.

Called 'em up--asked if they had any copies of "Sister Jane" by Westminist'r: "Uh, yeah--who is this?"

I drove all the way out to Otho Iowa, to the chicken coop recording studio where Sister Jane was recorded--the place was still operational. (And still is!)

The owner--and band member--Kirk Kaufman was so kind, and gave me 2 vinyl copies of everything he ever did. My mind was blown. Told me all kinds of stories--like when Brian Wilson and the Rovell sisters recorded some tracks or demos for American Spring there. Brian ran lights for a Westminist'r gig! And someone associated with him arranged the nice string section on Sister Jane.

It's still one of my very favorite records. Hopefully it will become one of yours!

https://youtu.be/ceLqZ-IUbnY
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 10:55:17 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I agree, it's really good!

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »

Very cool story! Nice song, I agree with your 10-year old self's assessment that it sounds like Rubber Soul era Beatles, melodically.

Kind of puts Big Star's relative success in perspective - so many bands never even made it as far as they did.

Watch out for snakes!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:32:24 AM »

Thanks for sharing this nice story and great song! Obviously big fans of British music: "Lady Jane" just like the Fab Four would have done it. Great nostalgic vibe. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx