gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:22:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A 2021 UK book on SMiLE, any of you read it?  (Read 1060 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2022, 08:11:36 AM »

Dear fellow SMiLE-devotees and Kokomo-aficionados -

The prestigious UK publishers Routledge released this book about SMiLE in 2021:

https://www.routledge.com/Reading-Smile-History-Myth-and-American-Identity-in-Brian-Wilson-and-Van/Carter/p/book/9780367622862#

From what I gathered here, it may be very interesting. And I will purchase a copy; I'd rather have the edition on papyrus, but that's not being sold at bargain price...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 02:18:07 PM »

I have skimmed this book. It's not really for fans, and it barely qualifies as "non-fiction." I'm not sure who it was written for. Maybe someone seeking a master's degree in American history?

It is an extremely well-researched collection of essays by the author. The first chapter contains some interesting tidbits of information, particularly about Loren Schwartz and the mysticism "mumbo jumbo" that had fed Brian's acid-induced Christ complex circa '65-'67. The rest of the book is like... I don't know how to describe it. The words "overwrought", "grasping for straws", and "minimum word count" come to mind.

You'd be better off watching this video: https://youtu.be/NAh9oLs67Cw?t=64
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:26:58 PM by terrei » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx