gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:40:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Tough/ Holland (Box?) Set  (Read 11970 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 05:59:34 AM »

The Blondie/Ricky era was an important yet vastly underrated period for the band.  I really liked what these guys brought to the group.  Maybe we'll finally see an official release of "Carry Me Home". 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2022, 05:14:21 AM »

The Blondie/Ricky era was an important yet vastly underrated period for the band.  I really liked what these guys brought to the group.  Maybe we'll finally see an official release of "Carry Me Home". 

Agree, Awesoman -

these two brought added inspiration, soul, energy, rhythm. Not that the BBs ever lacked these qualities, mind (with the possible exception of SiP, that fine exercise in being a plastic replica of the band itself - a feat in itself, though not qua aesthetics).

Blondie & Ricky definitely added a special something. A Dutch reviewer then wrote that Holland sometimes made him think of The Band; I can see his point.

IMHO, there should have been more time for the 'expanded BBs' to further grow, mature, 'gel' into more of a unit. What would the years 1974 and 1975 been like, had this idea been given a chance?

Finally: what was Mike's attitude towards the two newcomers/members way back then?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 05:56:44 AM »

Agree, Awesoman -

these two brought added inspiration, soul, energy, rhythm. Not that the BBs ever lacked these qualities, mind (with the possible exception of SiP, that fine exercise in being a plastic replica of the band itself - a feat in itself, though not qua aesthetics).

Blondie & Ricky definitely added a special something. A Dutch reviewer then wrote that Holland sometimes made him think of The Band; I can see his point.

IMHO, there should have been more time for the 'expanded BBs' to further grow, mature, 'gel' into more of a unit. What would the years 1974 and 1975 been like, had this idea been given a chance?

Yeah Blondie and Ricky added an "edge" to the band that they never really had before and certainly would never have again.  Even though songs like "Here She Comes" and "Leaving This Town" sound nothing like the Beach Boys (and it's a fun game to play those songs for friends and have them guess the band), they provide a glimpse of what could have been had those guys hung around a little longer. 

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 11:09:31 PM »

I love the Blondie/Ricky-era albums - that said, it's always puzzled me a bit how anyone could assume these two would be able to substitute for Brian in terms of his diminishing influence on the band's songwriting. "Here She Comes" is perfectly fine in the context of the So Tough album but it's not the kind of song that makes me want to hear it over and over again. The BB at the time were going for a bit of a more generic rock sound with the addition of these two I think - like I said, amazing albums (Holland especially) and the live shows must have been incredible at that time (I'm a big fan of In Concert too), but in terms of songwriting I understand why this phase is not every fan's favorite era.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2022, 06:01:58 AM »

I love the Blondie/Ricky-era albums - that said, it's always puzzled me a bit how anyone could assume these two would be able to substitute for Brian in terms of his diminishing influence on the band's songwriting. "Here She Comes" is perfectly fine in the context of the So Tough album but it's not the kind of song that makes me want to hear it over and over again. The BB at the time were going for a bit of a more generic rock sound with the addition of these two I think - like I said, amazing albums (Holland especially) and the live shows must have been incredible at that time (I'm a big fan of In Concert too), but in terms of songwriting I understand why this phase is not every fan's favorite era.

Not disagreeing with you - I basically agree, in fact! But I think it's worth pointing out that the Beach Boys didn’t really need songwriters. At no point before 1980 did the Beach Boys lack for material, as is attested by the whole albums' worth of unreleased songs we’ve been treated to over the last thirty years. I really think that any band that wasn’t completely weighed down by a decade of interpersonal drama (and trauma) would have taken a dozen of Dennis’s compositions and handed them over to their extremely talented and versatile lyricist, Mike Love! But the obvious combination of the band’s most active composer and long-time lyricist was barely explored. And that, I think, was the problem Carl was trying to solve when he invited Blondie and Ricky, more so than replacing Brian. To get the band out from under their own history a little, get some fresh blood in the room, and maybe in doing so to free up some of the immense talent that wasn't being really utilized in the early 70s.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2022, 06:25:14 AM »

I don't think it was ever the band's intention for Ricky and Blondie to replace Brian per se, especially in terms of songwriting.  I'd wager that Carl realized the band needed some new blood to alter the group's sound and felt these guys' contributions and talents would help the group achieve this.  The band's previous two records, as cherished as they have become over the years, were highly ignored commercially and critically.  And with Brian basically living in Candy Land at the time whose contributions were hit or miss at the time, adding some new blood to the group was probably the right move.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2022, 06:49:47 AM »

Yeah, I've never heard anyone assert Blondie and Ricky were "substituting" in any way for Brian.

The band already had more than enough writers and singers and musicians in the studio and on the road. They brought Blondie and Ricky in because of what they thought they could add to the band.

Indeed, it's often forgotten that Blondie and Ricky joined while Bruce was still in the band. There were a small number of early 1972 gigs with *seven* Beach Boys on stage. They didn't *need* more members; they sought out adding those two guys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2022, 10:09:42 AM »

I saw one of those shows in ‘72 with Bruce, although Dennis wasn’t there. Even without DW, that was a great show.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 05:27:03 AM »

I saw one of those shows in ‘72 with Bruce, although Dennis wasn’t there. Even without DW, that was a great show.

Which show?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 05:51:04 AM »

Atlanta, at Georgia Tech on March 30, 1972
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 02:12:04 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »

Interesting info-I don’t have my book in front of me but that might be a show that I didn’t have a review of. I know it’s a thousand years ago but do you happen to recall if they said why Dennis was absent (it was long after his hand accident and he was at most shows in that period-though mainly just singing harmony rather than drumming
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2022, 08:47:22 PM »

They told the audience that Dennis had a sick child.

EDIT: Ian, have you tried the Georgia Tech student newspaper? I know there was someone at the show taking pics for the yearbook, there was probably someone there for the paper as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:12:21 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2022, 01:58:25 PM »

Hot damn on that new Marcella mix sample on The Beach Boys Facebook page!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2022, 06:44:21 AM »

Hot damn on that new Marcella mix sample on The Beach Boys Facebook page!

Yeah it's intriguing alright.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cdl75DkFNGx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The drums are pretty dominant but the vocals could be turned up a notch.   

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2022, 07:55:30 PM »

I'm eager to hear the whole thing but this little snippet doesn't sound very good to me. The original mix is amazing, I like it just the way it is, so I don't see the use of making it sound more like the live version - or is this an alternative mix from 1972? Anyway, it's always great to see this song getting some exposure/attention, certainly one of their best (for me, maybe even THE best) from that time frame.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »

I am hoping for live versions of "Here She Comes" and "River Song".  Also, a better quality version of the "River Song" demo would be cool, too.  I'm looking forward to any of the Ricky/Blondie material.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2022, 09:44:20 AM »

I am curious about the remix to compensate for Moffitt's engineering. A couple of days ago I pulled out my vinyl So Tough, and...man, it sounds kind of hollow. Plays through flawlessly, no pops or clicks or nothin', but...it just doesn't have much life to it.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »

I think “Marcella” is an excellent candidate for a remix. I think bringing the guitars and especially the drums forward in the mix would help a great deal.

We’ll have to see how the full remix sounds. It sounds like the drums have been given a lot more punch, but it sounds like it has also been slathered in echo/reverb, which in my opinion often ends up negating the benefits of a modern remix (which I view often as giving more up-close punch and clarity, which often means it needs to be relatively dry).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2022, 11:20:03 AM »

I am hoping for live versions of "Here She Comes" and "River Song".  Also, a better quality version of the "River Song" demo would be cool, too.  I'm looking forward to any of the Ricky/Blondie material.

I’m not sure any shows were captured on multi-track or even as soundboard recordings that included “Here She Comes” and “River Song.” I recall a live "Here She Comes" survives from some kind of soundboard or radio broadcast source, but I don't know if a good-sounding source exists, and I don't know if it's something they could get the rights to for the set anyway.

I also have a vague recollection that someone, perhaps Ed Roach, confirmed that the circulating rough mix of “River Song” is something that doesn’t exist outside of whatever tape it somehow came from. We of course didn’t get any rough mix of the track on the 2-CD “Pacific Ocean Blue” reissue.

What they *could* do is a stripped-down remix of the song replicating that rough mix as closely as possible.

But I also don’t know where rights issues come into play on that material as far as BRI versus Guercio. Like, even if the basic tracks came from a BRI/BB session, I’m not sure the rights are always easily defined. I know the opposite issue came into play on that POB reissue, where they seemingly wiped all of the BB/Bruce overdubs on “Love Surrounds Me” to where it stood as a Dennis “solo” track. Could they do the opposite with “River Song?” I’m not sure.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:23:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »

I am hoping for live versions of "Here She Comes" and "River Song".  Also, a better quality version of the "River Song" demo would be cool, too.  I'm looking forward to any of the Ricky/Blondie material.

I’m not sure any shows were captured on multi-track or even as soundboard recordings that included “Here She Comes” and “River Song.”

According to Eric's site, "[r]ecordings of 'We Got Love' and 'California Girls' from this concert were used on the 1973 double LP, 'In Concert'", so I guess the show was at least partially recorded:

Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York
August 19?, 1973

1. Sail On Sailor
2. Long Promised Road
3. Sloop John B
4. Trader
5. Leaving This Town
6. California Girls
7. Marcella
8. Funky Pretty
9. You Still Believe In Me
10. Caroline, No
11. We Got Love
12. California Saga: California
13. River Song
14. Wild Honey
15. Surfer Girl
16. Help Me, Rhonda (sung by Carl)
17. Wouldn't It Be Nice
18. Surfin' USA

Encore:
19. I Get Around
20. Good Vibrations
21. Fun, Fun, Fun
22. Jumpin' Jack Flash

https://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-73.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:48:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 06:42:01 AM »

If they've got a nice-sounding '73 live "River Song", I'll be first in line to hear it for sure.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2022, 05:49:22 AM »

If they've got a nice-sounding '73 live "River Song", I'll be first in line to hear it for sure.

I had a recording of them doing this one with Blondie on the lead.  It was quite nice.  Sadly the hard drive I had it on died and it would cost over a grand to extract all my old files off of it.  🤷‍♂️

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2022, 08:08:17 AM »

I had a recording of them doing this one with Blondie on the lead.  It was quite nice.  Sadly the hard drive I had it on died and it would cost over a grand to extract all my old files off of it.  🤷‍♂️

Zissit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AQEPe0Kag

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2022, 08:34:57 AM »

That Hartford '73 recording is the main live version of "River Song" that has been floating around for years. It's a pretty solid audience recording for the era.

Setlist.fm documents 7 shows in 1972-73 where it was performed. (It also shows a 1980 performance which I'm sure is erroneous).

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2022, 06:25:03 AM »

Zissit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AQEPe0Kag

Yep.  So relieved to hear that Kenny was found.  🤣

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx