gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Tough/ Holland (Box?) Set  (Read 11969 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:39:17 PM »

*Following the release of Sounds of Summer, this fall Capitol/UMe will release the next chapter in The Beach Boys' archival releases, which will explore the bands often overlooked but pivotal albums, 1972's Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" and 1973's Holland. The deluxe multi-disc set follows last year's acclaimed boxed set Feel Flows – The Sunflower and Surf's Up Sessions 1969-1971*

No working title as yet, but a thread for comments.
Really looking forward to hearing anything from Blondie and Ricky later in the year as this comes to be.

https://youtu.be/AcSDMXekgX8

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:53:04 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »

Yes! Pumped for this, very happy they've announced it and are committed to it.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »

‘Howie’ Edelson posted over at the EH Board…

Trust me.
It'll be worth every penny.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 03:40:33 PM »

I wonder if the Flames second LP will form part of this same project, or get a separate release.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »

They should also re-release "The Flames" first album, along with the second.

I'd go for a separate set with the two Flame albums.  Mainly so there will be more room for Beach Boy rarities!   Grin

I imagine they already have the set done, but one thing I didn't like about  the "Feel Flows" set were the instrumentals tracks combined with backing vocal tracks.  I enjoy it much more when there's a separate instrumental only track and a separate vocal only track.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

PS -- Please don't let there be any delays on this set!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »

I love the idea of releasing both Flame albums as a double disc set!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 02:25:00 AM »

I love the idea of releasing both Flame albums as a double disc set!

Yes, that would be nice. But unfortunately such a double disc set would certainly have zero commercial potential. Only as part of a Beach Boys set you could get these recordings to the public and get some revenue, I guess.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 02:49:30 PM »

‘Howie’ Edelson posted over at the EH Board…

Trust me.
It'll be worth every penny.
Rock!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 05:18:56 PM »

That’s really exciting news!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 06:48:20 PM »

Very excited for this!  Re: The Flame, I agree that any Flame tracks have to be part of this set.  Would love to get that 2nd album finally!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 08:12:20 PM »

My big hope for the set is the long rumored Carl lead vocal
take for SOS. I have no idea if it actually exists. Also rumored
that Dennis had a try at it.

I think Denny sang it in concert a few times. Are there early/multiple Brian demos?
More live versions with different lead singers?

This could be a great box set!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 05:00:24 AM »

Dennis did try SOS initially, but almost everyone has said his vocals were wiped and no longer exist. Still. What a find that would be, at a time when Denny still had a really good voice the early 70s. Someone on YouTube mixed Carl's live concert vocal with the SOS studio backing.and  it was pretty cool to hear what SOS might have sounded with a Carl lead.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 07:11:59 AM »

Dennis did try SOS initially, but almost everyone has said his vocals were wiped and no longer exist. Still. What a find that would be, at a time when Denny still had a really good voice the early 70s. Someone on YouTube mixed Carl's live concert vocal with the SOS studio backing.and  it was pretty cool to hear what SOS might have sounded with a Carl lead.

It really would be find!  If I recall correctly,  Desper has mentioned having a SOS version with a Carl lead vocal. Hope that is true.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »

This will be pretty mind blowing, no doubt about that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »

Alls I know is Howie confirmed Brian’s “Sail On Sailor” demo. So to hear that, it’s gonna be weird. In fact I’m not sure if I really want to hear it. Definitely sounded like an emotionally painful time for Brian.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 03:30:15 PM »

Great news. Crossed fingers for some DW goodness.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 06:22:34 AM »

I'm hoping for some unused Brian material from these sessions. What about including the Spring album?
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 01:14:11 PM »

I'm also hoping for a live version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" to finally be released!  I got to hear them perform it live once and it blew the roof off the arena! 

This doesn't have to be on the boxed set, though.  Hopefully there will be a re-release of the '74 In Concert album with many added tracks coming out soon, too.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 08:59:07 AM »

I too really hope we finally get an official release of the BBs playing 'Jumpin Jack Flash'   Cool Cool Cool Cool

I also hope/predict that The Flame's two albums recorded around this time might get included in this boxset, given the involvement from Carl and Desper. It wouldn't even shock me if it's released as "The Beach Boys" like how Dont Worry Bill and Its A New Day eventually were released.

I love this era and I'm so excited for the new box set !!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »

Given a finite amount of space, I don't think we need two full Flame albums on a BB set.

In the pre-streaming/digital download days, I'd say we'd have to make some considerations for avenues of getting a niche item like two Flame albums released. But in 2022, those two albums can easily be dropped on streaming and digital download (and it's not even impossible a reissue label would put it on disc too).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »

I hope they will include some live shows. They were such a great live act in those days. Or maybe they will save it for an In Concert box?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 05:59:35 AM »

I too really hope we finally get an official release of the BBs playing 'Jumpin Jack Flash'   Cool Cool Cool Cool

I also hope/predict that The Flame's two albums recorded around this time might get included in this boxset, given the involvement from Carl and Desper. It wouldn't even shock me if it's released as "The Beach Boys" like how Dont Worry Bill and Its A New Day eventually were released.

If you're talking about the live version of "Don't Worry Bill" released as part of a medley with the live "Wonderful" on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack...well, that IS the Beach Boys! Sure, that half of the medley is a Flame song, but a live Beach Boys performance from 1972, including Blondie and Ricky. As for "It's A New Day" - well, it's a Dennis solo track with a Blondie lead. Technically not quite a Beach Boys recording, but not the Flame either.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »

Also, Dennis is singing part of the lead on “It’s a New Day.” Agree it’s a solo DW project, but a lot of his solo tracks are included in the FF set.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:42:33 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 07:11:48 AM »

If you're talking about the live version of "Don't Worry Bill" released as part of a medley with the live "Wonderful" on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack...well, that IS the Beach Boys! Sure, that half of the medley is a Flame song, but a live Beach Boys performance from 1972, including Blondie and Ricky. As for "It's A New Day" - well, it's a Dennis solo track with a Blondie lead. Technically not quite a Beach Boys recording, but not the Flame either.

Yep. Live at Carnegie Hall 1972. Great show!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 11:57:36 PM »

I need:

a long version (if this exists at all) of that 'Radio Kingdom' snippet present on that fairy tale that came with the Holland LP. Still got the original vinyl version (Dutch pressing, Reprise).

Tantalizing is the right word, I believe.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx