gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:34:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer 6LP Announced  (Read 29265 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2022, 06:23:19 PM »

The new "marcella" is incredible

I agree, I'm just catching up on this thread.....

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »

I'm not quite sure what's going on with "let us go on this way"

Maybe I need to give it time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2022, 07:21:23 PM »

Can you tell us what the new mix of ‘I Get Around’ sounds like?

Also glad to see others are enjoying the new Marcella mix too. As I said from the get-go, I can totally see why some don’t like it (it is a very different sound). But man it scratches an itch I didn’t even know I had - really has a great punch to it.

Just a couple more hours and I’ll be able to listen to the whole set!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2022, 09:21:15 PM »

Can you tell us what the new mix of ‘I Get Around’ sounds like?

Also glad to see others are enjoying the new Marcella mix too. As I said from the get-go, I can totally see why some don’t like it (it is a very different sound). But man it scratches an itch I didn’t even know I had - really has a great punch to it.

Just a couple more hours and I’ll be able to listen to the whole set!

Quick listen just now.

Vocals sound great, drums are suspect

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »

Just got through listening to Wind Chimes on disc 2. everything sounds ok…except Do It Again. What happened to the drum sound?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2022, 12:27:50 AM »

Mess of Help…I dug the fact that Brian is way more audible… Much prefer the way the lead was mixed here as well

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2022, 01:27:43 AM »

I'm hearing a lot of distortion/high end on the new mixes. I'm listening with headphones on a free Deezer plan which is 128 kb/s which maybe just doesn't cut it when all the compression from streaming is added in.

I'm a vinyl guy (smug, look at me!) and hardly ever use streaming sites. I'd imagine the vast majority of people will listen on streaming sites though.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2022, 02:04:24 AM »

Not that anyone will read through this, but I wrote out some thoughts regarding many of the new mixes.

Surfin USA - outstanding.

Surfer Girl - I find it odd how low the drums are in the mix compared to previous versions. I don’t dislike it, but it’s a pretty big change from the original. The vocals are beautifully mixed.

Don’t Worry Baby - phenomenal. My new favorite version.

When I Grow Up - this is a very clear mix. Every instrument is easily able to be picked out. Great vocal mix. I love that the harpsichord is much more prominent in the outro. And that reverb on the vocals sounds great, especially in the outro.

In My Room - maybe my favorite new mix of that song.

Dance Dance Dance - like When I Grow Up, I love that everything is prominent in the mix and mixed perfectly. Though the very tail end of the outro (the last 2 seconds) sounds a bit disjointed - something definitely not present on previous mixes. 10/10 though, wonderfully mixed.

Good To My Baby - this mix sounds a bit fuller than the previous stereo mixes. It doesn’t sound like too much has changed, but everything just sounds more immersive now (same with the new mix of Barbara Ann).

Wild Honey - this puts the biggest smile on my face. I love how prominent and full the bass sounds. Everything else is perfectly mixed.

LUGOTW - wow, this is quite a different mix, but it really rocks. Honestly hope they remix the whole album this way. We have the original and it’s great to hear this in a totally new way (and it really does keep the spirit of the original mix there, it is just bolder).

YNAMOH - I just wish the vocals were a little higher in the mix. But wow is this a huge change for the better from the original. I love the original mix, but you can tell just how muddy the original is when comparing to this. Every instrument comes in crystal clear on this version.

Baby Blue - whoaaa. Gotta agree with Howie, this is phenomenal. Implore anyone to compare the old mix with this - like night and day in clarity.

Do You Like Worms - halfway through this I am not only smiling at the awesome mix, but at the thought of some new fan listening to this set and hearing Do You Like Worms of all things! If anyone isn’t confident in the decisions being made about the marketing/future of this band, just remember that an immersive mix of Do You Like Worms will be listened to by a lot of casual fans. That is kick ass.

San Miguel - sounds pretty much exactly like the 2020 version, but man is it a good mix.

Susie Cincinnati - honestly can’t keep up with all the mixes of this that have been done in recent years haha. But I’m grateful that those in charge feel it deserves a place on these sets. Such an underrated gem and this version doesn’t disappoint.

Can’t Wait Too Long - all of my favorite elements of CWTL all rolled into one succinct mix (though I’m missing the higher sung “reliving the times” vocal). Not sure if a similar mix has ever been released, but I really dig this.

One thing I’ve noticed is that, if you’re listening on Apple Music, Dolby Atmos makes a *huge* difference in how the mix sounds. I found that when it’s turned on the mix sounds very digitized/distorted, and when it’s off the mix sounds very warm (for the modern mixes that is).

I have noticed others commenting on the variation of sound between platforms. I am not sure how much difference codecs make in the listening experience, but I know there are sonic differences between the way Spotify translates music to the speakers and the way Apple’s file system (AAC I think) delivers the audio. It effects quality for sure.

Overall I love this set and for sure it will win over some fans. I like some mixes more than others, overall a great effort by those who worked on this. I can’t wait to see what’s coming next!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:11:13 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2022, 04:30:19 AM »

Hey guys -- can I just say, AGD was the ONLY one over there that I knew that had the class and balls to take my part.

Even I guy that I know -- and have actually helped -- could only muster a weak, "Howie may be brash, but. . . ."

Let's not sh*t on people here.
We're better than that.

You’re right… my apologies. Hell, we all have celebrating to do… listened to the new set twice already 😎

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2022, 05:56:09 AM »

Celebrating indeed! Even amongst some potshots taken at this forum haha, it’s great to see that elsewhere people are still mostly enjoying the set as well. I can definitely see why this wouldn’t be everyone’s thing (a lot of these new mixes take some big steps away from the norm). But it seems to be getting most people excited which is awesome.

I hope everyone, everywhere has a great day full of listening to this great music. This set will be on repeat for me today while I work. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in making it!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2022, 10:33:05 AM »

This is a great set to add to my collection. Dispatched today, excited for it to arrive.

Thanks to all involved for your hard work as usual

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2022, 10:54:54 AM »

I'm digging it. I love the remixes that sound drastically different.

The early era remixes are obviously less drastic; sounds like they're just trying to spread the stereo spectrum where they can.

Love the "Let Us Go On This Way" remix on first couple listens. Sounds like the mix is trying to fill the full audio spectrum, since that album has such a distinct sound (little bass, lots of snare without a full drum kit, etc.), with trying to thicken up the drums and fill the low-end out with whatever they can. I love the new spread on the backing vocals on this one as well, and it also sounds like the guitar was brought up as much as it could be.

I also quite dig the "Mess of Help" remix; I like the remixes that bring up both the drums *and* the vocals/backing vocals.

And yeah, "Baby Blue" sounds great. Proof that even the later-era stuff in the later 70s and into the 80s could sound great remixes. "LA" and "KTSA" (and BB '85 and even the "Still Cruisin'" stuff) should all be remixed at some point.

More thoughts as I listen and re-listen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2022, 11:15:35 AM »

This is better than I expected.

And yes, what they did with Baby Blue was exquisite.

And some people owe Howie an apology.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »

Forgot to specifically mention the great backing vocals brought up in the mix at the end of the "Baby Blue" remix.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2022, 12:05:21 PM »

The backing track of Baby Blue sounds exquisite, but the vocals still sound pretty muddy. In fact, the noise behind Carl's voice in this mix seems much more prominent. It sounds like he's on a CB radio somewhere.

I haven't followed the track listing much, but I was excited to hear this release would include tracks from Still Cruisin'. Maybe on certain versions? Cause the only Still Cruisin' track I see on Spotify is Kokomo.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »

OK I am listening on Amazon Prime - German based and this set is not doing much for me, primarily because of someone being lazy and using mono mixes for many tracks, despite labelling them as stereo mixes. Then I Get Around is the faux-stereo mono seperated by a slight delay duophonic crap mix. Then the alleged Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, When I Grow Up, In My My Room, Heroes & Villains, Do It Again, darlin', Good Vibrations, Good to My Baby, You're So Good to Me, Aren't You Glad,  Wendy, Let Him Run Wild, & Vegetables are all plain mono. This is a big slaps in the face to users who pay for the Amazon streaming service and detracts from appreciating the mixes that are the true new mixes. What in the hell is going on here?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:11:33 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2022, 12:17:24 PM »

OK I am listening on Amazon Prime - German based and this set is not doing much for me, primarily because of someone being lazy and using mono mixes for many tracks, despite labelling them as stereo mixes. Then I Get Around is the faux-stereo mono seperated by a slight delay duophonic crap mix. Then the alleged Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, When I Grow Up, In My My Room, Heroes & Villains, Do It Again, darlin', Good Vibrations, Good to My Baby, You're So Good to Me, Aren't You Glad,  Wendy, Let Him Run Wild, & Vegetables are all plain mono. This is a big slaps in the face to users who pay for the Amazon streaming service and detracts from appreciating the mixes that are the true new mixes. What in the hell is going on here?

Not sure if this will work in your country, but here is the link to the YouTube Music page with the new SoS mixes: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nLcpqmy5v1q-ZZdbYvU5x1gkl8VfLZq9k

I remember back when Apple Music started and I ported ALL of my booted/rarity tracks into my library. Apple replaced them all with with official versions of the tracks. Grateful that I have backups of this stuff. But sometimes these streaming services do the weirdest things. I hope you're able to hear the proper stereo versions soon!

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »

OK thanks Rab, that works, but now I see that Amazon Prime has incorrectly labelled  mono tracks as "stereo". That type of sloppiness is inexcusable for paying customers. And then BRI wonders why we might be tempted to scavenge for bootleg tracks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 01:11:24 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2022, 02:35:20 PM »

If no one here's gonna say it, then I will. These remasters and remixes are dreadfully brittle. Most of them sound like they're on the verge of crumbling into a thousand pieces. Like they're being held together by Elmer's glue and rubber bands.

Baby Blue is possibly the worst offender. That compression. That hiss. "The definitive mix"? Holy tomatoes.

Why do the horns on Let Us Go On This Way sound like they were recorded on a flip phone from 2005?

God help you, Mark. And God help listeners with misophonia. I'd never recommend this set as an entry point to the Beach Boys.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

Just listened in my car via Apple Music so far, but I agree with the love for the Baby Blue mix. It's so detailed and orchestral I almost thought the Royal Philharmonic was accompanying here too. Funniest thing- I listened to the first 30 tracks in Dolby Atmos in my car, except that my 2020 Honda Civic is equipped with seven speakers and DTS Neural virtual surround, so I would guess I'm getting a different sound than what I should be hearing, but albums like Abbey Road, Elton John's Diamonds set, Queen's song Another One Bites the Dust and some others sound fantastic and very immersive. For the SoS Dolby Atmos->DTS Neural songs, the best sounding ones are the Pet Sounds tracks. In fact, a lot of the tracks from 31 to 80 in stereo produce nicer virtual surround effects and sound better overall than the Atmos ones
But the most interesting Dolby Atmos->DTS Neural tracks is Be True To Your School, which is of course mono on the CD. But in my car, it provides the biggest surround spread of all the tracks, in good old fashioned muddy, smeary near-Duophonic! it almost brought tears of nostalgia to my eyes.   
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2022, 03:59:18 PM »

I was walking to pick my kids up the other day and blasting Sounds Of Summer on shuffle and "Wind Chimes' came on. Now, I've always preferred the Smiley version of the tune and I find myself only really listening to SMiLE in the fall and winter -- it's never been summer music for me. But with it being the first stereo version, I let it play through. Now, this was just a gorgeous New York City spring day. We don't really get many anymore, for years it's felt like it goes from April to August. But hearing that bombastic bridge/B-section -- the horns, the harmonies, mixed with the perfect temperature, lush trees, and eden-like sunshine -- my heart just exploded. It was LITERALLY "the thing." It took me RIGHT to that place. The place where there's joy, and hope, and you can't help but look and DWELL on the bright side. Just ZENITH Beach Boys heaven.

After all these years, that's never happened with me and that song until the other day and THIS comp. Perfect timing.

Sounds Of Summer is amazing and done with love -- and the band is THRILLED with it.
Some stuff may not be for everyone -- and GOOD; I'd loathe to live in a world where we were all the same.

This is the deal, it's anyone's prerogative to have and voice opinions on ANYTHING, but I've found that the people who do -- and do so negatively, often and VOCIFEROUSLY (usually with an ugly and personal bent) do it because NO ONE asks THEM their opinion. The unseen seem to either remain invisible -- or choose to spread ugliness (e.g. "This is bad. . . This is wrong. . .  I hate this. . . )

I'm SO LUCKY that with the work I do, I'm part of a team that aims to spread the goodness, instead of feeling so left out and unseen that I need to spit and curse loudly in the street to prove I'm actually here.

That would break my heart.

Have a GREAT weekend everybody -- thanks for all the love and well wishes we've been getting on the set.
It's the best music.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »

I second the love for the Smile tracks in stereo, and I do very much like many of the radically different mixes, although I wish parts of Marcella were not buried.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »

That magnificent picture of Carl and Dennis on the second to last page of the liners is oh so cool.
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »

I want to like this release so badly, and was very excited when the news dropped. Really enjoyed the new Good Vibrations mix, despite the whole "s-gate" thing. I'm not at all opposed to remixes - and I'm so glad that Mark Linett and Alan Boyd have the opportunity to do them, but I just don't understand why they keep using stuff like unnatural sounding digital reverb or extreme EQ choices like ungodly levels of treble. Is it so hard to just stick with the stuff that's printed on the tape, without too much pro tools ****ery?

I realize that everyone is trying their best, and doing all they can to get us new beach boys material. I'm not a purist, and I don't think its fair to dismiss people's concerns as not being open to "new" mixes. But there are a couple things that keep coming up that I wish Mark, Alan, Howie et. al would listen to - mainly:

1) The treble and bass is really juiced, and make some of the tracks sound harsh to the point of being painful for some people. Its weird because it doesn't seem equally applied to all the tracks. For instance, the new remix of "Good Vibrations" or "Worms" isn't that harsh, but the remix of "Marcella" is. There was a lot of variance of this on the "Feel Flows" set as well. This isn't a new trend and holds true for some random material on the Made In California box - for instance the remix of "Do It Again" is a little bright, but its not going to make your ears bleed. However a lot of the 70s remixes on that set like "It's Over Now", "It's OK", and "Why" have so much top end on them it’s almost like a supersonic dog whistle. I want to be able to enjoy listening to that outtake of "Why" so badly, but it literally hurts my ears due to the top end being so unbalanced. It seems like it would be pretty easy to stop doing this, I don't see what its really adding to the listening experience.

2) Cool it on the digital reverb, and extraneous modern pro tools plugins that "enhance" the sound. I know some people can ignore it, but for others - it so obviously sounds like its not part of the original recording and it sticks out like a sore thumb, taking you out of the listening experience. The recent "Good Vibrations" remix sounds kinda okay to me in this department. "Shut Down" sounds like its been lathered in something totally unnatural, as do whatever crazy echo they coated the drums with in "Marcella" and "Let Us Go On This Way". If this is a indication as to how we're going to get outtakes from the “Brian’s Back” period in the future I think I’m going to go off to a corner and cry.  I liked a lot of the remixes on "Feel Flows" (again not being a purist) - "San Miguel" and "Celebrate The News" for instance always sounded muddy as hell, and it was a fun alternative to hear more separation and detail, even if the EQ is incredibly harsh. Same goes for the remixes of "Games Two Can Play" and "Good Time". As to "Baby Blue" on this set, does nobody notice how the tape hiss that mysteriously reappears and disappears every time Carl’s vocal punches in? I generally don’t mind hearing tape hiss, but when it’s appearance is obviously highlighting the artificial edits on a mix it’s pretty distracting.

I realize you can't please everyone, and you can't make a mix that will make every Beach Boys fan happy. But I see these same types of complaints coming up a lot, and I don't think they would get a lot of counter feedback if they just suddenly stopped doing these things. I didn't read a lot of people complaining about the "Wake The World"/"I Can Hear Music" or "Sunshine Tomorrow" sets. I didn't hear much of "oh man - this sounds so dull I really wish there was WAY more treble on these tracks!" Or - "I really wish the bass on 'Bluebirds Over The Mountain' was rattling my trunk and scaring my cats" Or "why the hell didn't you make 'Do It Again' sound like it was recorded in a CGI cavern?" I don't know, these things don't sound that unreasonable to me. I'm not a luddite or seeking some undefinable sonic audiophile perfection. I just want to listen to this stuff a LOT, i.e. repeatedly (not once for novelty) and I don't want it to LITERALLY hurt my ears. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll give kudos where kudos is due however - "Feel Flows" was not brickwalled, as were none of the copyright sets or "Made In California", and for that I will be forever grateful.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:50:50 PM by picassosson » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2022, 08:54:50 PM »

I just flat out don't like what has been done to a lot of these songs.

I'm glad I bought it and I'm thankful for all the hard work but this should not have replaced a pretty much perfect and massively successful compilation album

Pointless

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx