gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:46:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For anybody not knowing it, Holy Man 2019  (Read 1744 times)
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »

This absolute masterpiece was re-recorded by the late Taylor Hawkins in 2019, with Brian May supplying his usual gorgeous guitar. And as usual, I can't really believe it's not Denny himself singing. Taylor channelled his soul.

https://youtu.be/nA-v7hRYTk0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:49:11 AM by Zenobi » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 05:33:12 AM »

Actually, this version includes Taylor's vocal from 2008, as included on the final track of the Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu Legacy Edition released that year. Around the same time as that was recorded, Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen did some extra vocals, instrumentation, and production for an alternate mix. That version remained unreleased until Record Store Day 2019, which is the version described here.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 06:30:49 AM »

The "Queen" version is just a bit overcooked honestly, although it is certainly cool that they were involved.  The 2008 version featuring only Taylor Hawkins' vocals works better.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 09:41:15 AM »

The "Queen" version is just a bit overcooked honestly, although it is certainly cool that they were involved.  The 2008 version featuring only Taylor Hawkins' vocals works better.

Yes, I totally agree. When I first heard the "Queen"-version, I was very underwhelmed. The version on P.O.B./Bambu though is still breathtaking imo. Hawkins' vocal is so good and authentic that you wouldn't believe it was recorded decades after the music and after it's writer died.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »

Sorry, I wanted only to share this with anyone had not heard it.
No disrespect meant for the 2008 version. I find both sublime (I am a great fan of Brian May, too).
However, last time I try to share anything. You do you.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »

Their opinions are valid too, but I think it sounds amazing. Thanks for the link!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 02:06:18 AM »

Sorry, I wanted only to share this with anyone had not heard it.
No disrespect meant for the 2008 version. I find both sublime (I am a great fan of Brian May, too).
However, last time I try to share anything. You do you.

Hey, nobody's blaming you for posting. We just ave our opinions, but that doesn't have anything to do with criticizing you for posting it. Nothing to worry or be angry about.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx