gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:12:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody went to a Beach Boys (Mike and Bruce) concert recently? Your opinion?  (Read 7483 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »

Mike Satan and Brian Jesus Christ? The usual dramatic exaggeration.
Look, I am a Beach Boys fan since 1963, and hail from a "peripheral" country where I guess I am one of the 2/3 BB fans (not that I know anything about the supposed other 1/2). I could not care less about the ongoing, endless feud between "Brianistas" and "Mike Lovers". Or better, I only care about it because it makes, so often, following BB forums such a difficult and, in the end, unsatisfying experience.
But... I can't ever be neutral between Brian and Mike. I have nothing against Mike, I am a fan of his too (and particularly of his fantastic baritone/bass register)! But early in the '60s I learned that the genius who was writing almost all that sublime music was one Brian Wilson. And that without him, all this great, unique cathedral of music called the Beach Boys would never have happened. And that he accomplished this despite ENORMOUS personal problems.
This is the only reason I am a member of this forum, instead of the "other one". Because, in my humble foreigner's opinion, here people always remember that. In that other place? Sometimes. And I am sure that there I would be totally unwelcome, as a stoopid "Brianista".
But said this, I don't think that Mike is Satan, nor that Brian is Jesus Christ.

Well said.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 02:55:12 PM »

The original quote from Mike sums up perfectly the flawed way he looks at things (or perhaps used to look at things). Few can deny that Brian Wilson has something special going on when it comes to music - so already most people are going to put Brian on a pedestal above others (even very accomplished songwriters bow down to Brian’s genius in various ways). Secondly, plenty of people who feel that way also don’t give a hoot about Mike’s personality issues. Mike makes this weird exaggeration that automatically generalizes an entire group of BB fans, probably most of whom just don’t care about these petty Mike vs Brian issues to begin with.

I just find it to be a means of divisiveness that doesn’t need to exist. And while I get that he’s trying to point out just how much people dislike him, you also don’t need Brian Wilson there as a yin to your yang to make your point. As in, if I were to sue my cousin and his family over a harmless picture on a freebie CD, you wouldn’t need to know the stature of my cousin to know that I’m a fairly petty person. If I were to host a benefit dinner that was raising money to support the killing of endangered species, you wouldn’t need to know my cousin in order to know that I may not have the most solid moral foundation. If I were to invite someone on a plane ride and then at the end of the trip make him pay for the fuel, you wouldn’t need to know my cousin in order to know that I’m not that nice of a person. Etc etc.

That quote from Mike is cute for a book or the papers, but it doesn’t at all represent the reality of the way some people view Mike Love…the strict correlation between being in awe of Brian’s talent/music and how one feels about Mike Love just doesn’t exist. Hopefully he (or his apologists) doesn’t actually think this is true.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:57:09 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 12:22:25 PM »

Seems some of us may not be familiar with the term, "hyperbole."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »

I get that Brian Wilson in the 60's was the driving force behind a body of work that many of us consider genius. I'm not sure what that has to do with choosing to go to a concert now in 2022.
When was the last time Brian created a work of genius?
In the past, I suppose there were people who chose to go to a Chuck Berry or Little Richard concert just so they could say they had seen them perform. To worship at the feet of one of the originators of rock and roll. Maybe it didn't matter to do them if Chuck remembered the lyrics to those great songs he wrote in the 50's and 60's. Maybe it didn't matter if Richard spent more time talking to the crowd than singing for them.
I would imagine the casual fans are more interested in just getting a great show, and for them, Mike's Beach Boys deliver.
It also helps that his concerts are more affordable than the likes of McCartney, Stones, etc.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 02:39:26 PM »

Seems some of us may not be familiar with the term, "hyperbole."

I mean, the first guy to respond to the comparison literally defined the term hyperbole in his opening line. So I don't think it's a matter of not being familiar with the term.

The original hyperbole coined by Mike just doesn't make any sense (as in, he's exaggerating the idea that anyone who loves Brian also hates Mike which just isn't true). And it seems that Lonely Summer riffed on that hyperbole for his own intentional exaggeration. And given the original isn't grounded in any sense of reality, it makes sense to me that anyone playing off this exaggeration is going to be met with some blowback from certain people who don't agree.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 12:55:26 PM »

https://youtu.be/ThJcHjCI9j4
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:58:48 PM by Zenobi » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2022, 08:15:17 AM »

Mike Satan and Brian Jesus Christ? The usual dramatic exaggeration.
Look, I am a Beach Boys fan since 1963, and hail from a "peripheral" country where I guess I am one of the 2/3 BB fans (not that I know anything about the supposed other 1/2). I could not care less about the ongoing, endless feud between "Brianistas" and "Mike Lovers". Or better, I only care about it because it makes, so often, following BB forums such a difficult and, in the end, unsatisfying experience.
But... I can't ever be neutral between Brian and Mike. I have nothing against Mike, I am a fan of his too (and particularly of his fantastic baritone/bass register)! But early in the '60s I learned that the genius who was writing almost all that sublime music was one Brian Wilson. And that without him, all this great, unique cathedral of music called the Beach Boys would never have happened. And that he accomplished this despite ENORMOUS personal problems.
This is the only reason I am a member of this forum, instead of the "other one". Because, in my humble foreigner's opinion, here people always remember that. In that other place? Sometimes. And I am sure that there I would be totally unwelcome, as a stoopid "Brianista".
But said this, I don't think that Mike is Satan, nor that Brian is Jesus Christ.

One of the worst turns in the overall fan universe was when celebrating Brian Wilson in the terms you listed above was "spun" in some relatively small circles as a slight on Mike Love or even on other band members and almost dismissed as overt fan worship, and even worse, as something that's not true in the history. If people - for whatever reasons they may have - try to diminish the role Brian played in the band's position in popular culture and the creation of the music, there will be a pushback. And rightfully so: People generally have ears of their own and also don't need to be lectured on why that praise of Brian and his role in the band is misplaced or isn't warranted, or that others deserve or are being denied equal credit especially for that initial run of classic music on Capitol in the 60's. Everyone played a part in that music, yes, but there was clearly one guy most responsible for making those records. That's not a slight on anyone else to state that fact, and it's also unnecessary to argue "well, *blank* was a genius too!".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 10:56:41 AM »

I saw them the other day at the Royal Albert Hall.

It was a mixed bag! I'll start with the stuff I didn't like:

• The film they play on the Big Screen before they come on. The first time I saw the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys show, they had the film play at the start - it was cut tight like a film trailer, probably only minute in length, showing clips of the boys on stage and in the studio, mostly from the 60s and early 70s. I remember thinking it was quite well done, and it got me hyped for the show that was about to come. The film has since bloated to include not just practically every use of a Beach Boys song in a film, from 50 First Dates to the present day, but every mention of the Beach Boys in every third rate Netflix show I've ever heard of. Like, you don't need to do this Mike and Bruce. We know the Beach Boys are a big deal. You're making yourselves look desperate for cultural relevancy when you really don't need to!
  • The Big Screen, in general. There's an animated visual of some sort in the back ground throughout the whole show. Sometimes it will be the lyrics, never quite in time with the band. Sometimes it will be a slideshow of summery images, a lot of them bad quality jpegs, gliding across the screen, reminiscent of a screensaver in a hotel lobby. Very occasionally it will show footage that looks actually professionally put together - the Good Vibrations studio footage, for example - which makes the janky stuff appear even jankier when it returns. It looks like it was put together by Mike's great granddaughter. I'd be shocked to find out it was a professional job.
  • Stamos. Sorry. I wanted to be ok with Stamos. I have nothing against the guy. Good for him, he's living his dream of being a Beach Boy. But his antics are just so distracting. During Mike's talking to the audience in between songs he would yell stuff off-mic, snarky "heheh I'm kinda like Mike's bratty but lovable nephew" comments, which Mike would then have to repeat so that we the audience knew what he was saying. In Britain, for the most part, we don't really know who John Stamos is, so much of this fell flat. It was tedious. However I will say, and I believe this is controversial, but I think he's an ok drummer!
  • Another Stamos thing, before he sang "Forever", he gave a speech about Bob Saget, to whom he dedicated his performance of the song. I don't want to be mean, I know they were friends. But he does this, and up on the screen appears a big blurry black and white jpeg of Bob Saget with a quote about being kind. And all I can think is, this is the weirdest fucking Beach Boys show I've ever been to.
  • At one point they brought a female singer on to sing one of the songs (I think "Don't Worry Baby"). I didn't quite catch from Mike's introduction what relation she has to the band, but I feel that relation is the key word here. She wasn't a bad singer at all, but her style wasn't in keeping with the band at all, it was quite musical theatre. After her one song, she was gone. It wasn't the worst thing in the world by any means, just... odd.
  • Christian made quite a big a boo boo on "This Is That", at one point singing a verse instead of a chorus. Scott Totten had to get in front of him and wave at him to alert him to the boo boo, and seemed a bit pissed off. I felt bad for Christian, that song IS a bit of a dirge, I'd lose track of where I was too.
  • Pisces Brothers

And now the good stuff!

• The band is great, and I especially like that they had a horn section with actual french horns for God Only Knows, and proper timpani in the percussion section, these touches really elevate the sound.
  • Cowsill's "Darlin" is great, a big highlight for me.
  • Bruce's "Disney Girls". Bruce has quite a whispery voice these days (which I like) but when he goes into falsetto it's the voice of a young man, really amazing to witness live.
  • "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". I don't know why this one in particular to be honest, but they always seem to sing the sh*t out of it whenever I see them
  • They really do still seem to care about putting on a show, which is nice. Mike and Bruce put their all into the performance. Bruce wanders around and grins and does a sort of "Ta Dah!" gesture to certain players when they take a solo. Ok it's not Circ Du Soleil but he could just stand at his keyboard and fiddle with his mic if he wanted to.
  • "Here Today" is a personal favourite of mine from Pet Sounds, so to hear Mike sing it live is really cool.

Hope this helps.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »

I’m always stunned to hear that as popular as the show was in the US (at the height of its popularity in the early 90’s, it hit Top 10 in the Nielsen’s), that the series NEVER aired in the UK. Especially since many other hit US shows were hugely popular with British audiences.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
maskedwindsurfer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »

The girl singing Kiss me baby with Mike is his daughter Ambha, i think it's a cool inclusion in the set.
I like the big screen like in the C50 tour.
I attended the french show in Olympia (Paris), it was wonderful. Everybody standing in their feet from Do it again to Fun fun fun. Mike was in great voice and Brian E as well. I missed All I wanna do though (it was on the RAH setlist). I could easily have done without Stamos ...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:44:14 PM by maskedwindsurfer » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2022, 01:37:52 PM »

I saw them the other day at the Royal Albert Hall.

It was a mixed bag! I'll start with the stuff I didn't like:

• The film they play on the Big Screen before they come on. The first time I saw the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys show, they had the film play at the start - it was cut tight like a film trailer, probably only minute in length, showing clips of the boys on stage and in the studio, mostly from the 60s and early 70s. I remember thinking it was quite well done, and it got me hyped for the show that was about to come. The film has since bloated to include not just practically every use of a Beach Boys song in a film, from 50 First Dates to the present day, but every mention of the Beach Boys in every third rate Netflix show I've ever heard of. Like, you don't need to do this Mike and Bruce. We know the Beach Boys are a big deal. You're making yourselves look desperate for cultural relevancy when you really don't need to!
  • The Big Screen, in general. There's an animated visual of some sort in the back ground throughout the whole show. Sometimes it will be the lyrics, never quite in time with the band. Sometimes it will be a slideshow of summery images, a lot of them bad quality jpegs, gliding across the screen, reminiscent of a screensaver in a hotel lobby. Very occasionally it will show footage that looks actually professionally put together - the Good Vibrations studio footage, for example - which makes the janky stuff appear even jankier when it returns. It looks like it was put together by Mike's great granddaughter. I'd be shocked to find out it was a professional job.
  • Stamos. Sorry. I wanted to be ok with Stamos. I have nothing against the guy. Good for him, he's living his dream of being a Beach Boy. But his antics are just so distracting. During Mike's talking to the audience in between songs he would yell stuff off-mic, snarky "heheh I'm kinda like Mike's bratty but lovable nephew" comments, which Mike would then have to repeat so that we the audience knew what he was saying. In Britain, for the most part, we don't really know who John Stamos is, so much of this fell flat. It was tedious. However I will say, and I believe this is controversial, but I think he's an ok drummer!
  • Another Stamos thing, before he sang "Forever", he gave a speech about Bob Saget, to whom he dedicated his performance of the song. I don't want to be mean, I know they were friends. But he does this, and up on the screen appears a big blurry black and white jpeg of Bob Saget with a quote about being kind. And all I can think is, this is the weirdest fucking Beach Boys show I've ever been to.
  • At one point they brought a female singer on to sing one of the songs (I think "Don't Worry Baby"). I didn't quite catch from Mike's introduction what relation she has to the band, but I feel that relation is the key word here. She wasn't a bad singer at all, but her style wasn't in keeping with the band at all, it was quite musical theatre. After her one song, she was gone. It wasn't the worst thing in the world by any means, just... odd.
  • Christian made quite a big a boo boo on "This Is That", at one point singing a verse instead of a chorus. Scott Totten had to get in front of him and wave at him to alert him to the boo boo, and seemed a bit pissed off. I felt bad for Christian, that song IS a bit of a dirge, I'd lose track of where I was too.
  • Pisces Brothers

And now the good stuff!

• The band is great, and I especially like that they had a horn section with actual french horns for God Only Knows, and proper timpani in the percussion section, these touches really elevate the sound.
  • Cowsill's "Darlin" is great, a big highlight for me.
  • Bruce's "Disney Girls". Bruce has quite a whispery voice these days (which I like) but when he goes into falsetto it's the voice of a young man, really amazing to witness live.
  • "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". I don't know why this one in particular to be honest, but they always seem to sing the sh*t out of it whenever I see them
  • They really do still seem to care about putting on a show, which is nice. Mike and Bruce put their all into the performance. Bruce wanders around and grins and does a sort of "Ta Dah!" gesture to certain players when they take a solo. Ok it's not Circ Du Soleil but he could just stand at his keyboard and fiddle with his mic if he wanted to.
  • "Here Today" is a personal favourite of mine from Pet Sounds, so to hear Mike sing it live is really cool.

Hope this helps.

Great review! I watched parts of the Royal Albert Hall set on Youtube... noticed a few nights ago that it was up, and to my surprise got sucked into watching most of it. Nice to see some deep cuts rolled out. Your list of highs and lows matches mine exactly.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2022, 02:12:50 PM »

From a quick gander at the video, it's actually "Kiss Me Baby" where Ambha is on stage.

Mike has been at this relentlessly for nearly 60 years, and his shows have improved in recent years because there is the competition between the two factions to keep things focused.

I suspect that Azoff understood from the get-go that he'd never really get Brian and Mike on stage together again for more than a short tour, thus he's willing to let the situation exist so long as they give him maximum latitude to sell legacy and product. We'll just have to see what kinds of product they come up with to keep things moving after the big (and encouragingly splashy) release of SOUNDS OF SUMMER.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx