gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:48:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody went to a Beach Boys (Mike and Bruce) concert recently? Your opinion?  (Read 7480 times)
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2022, 02:48:24 AM »

I saw that what now are called "The Beach Boys" (Mike and Bruce) will give a concert in a city close to where I live. Although I am not a big fan of Mike I am thinking about going to the concert because of the songs, and because I could see two original Beach Boys members.

Has anyone recently been to a "Beach Boys" concert? If so, what did you think about it? Was it worth the money, or did you think you could as well have gone to any Beach Boys cover band?

Sadly the remaining members of the Beach Boys are so estranged that they don't make music together anymore, and sadly you can't bring back Dennis and Carl, either, so Mike and Bruce or Brian and Al is all there is left.

So can you recommend watching Mike and Bruce with their band, or were you disappointed watching them?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 02:54:10 AM »

It’s actually a pretty decent band. Like the BW band, it has possibly too many people onstage which may or may not be to your liking.

Everyone in this band is fully participating, and at some gigs they do enormously long set lists with a few curios

You’ll enjoy it
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 10:26:13 PM »

I last saw the Beach Boys in September 2021, and it was an excellent show. It wasn't just the sun, fun and surf hits; several Feel Flows songs were featured, along with a few songs from Mike's recent solo albums. Scott Totten is a great guitar player, John Cowsill is an excellent drummer; the entire group does a great job playing the catalog. It's a great night out for anyone that loves the music; the only ones who are going to walk away unhappy are the ones who think Mike is Satan and Brian is Jesus Christ.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »

Great way of summing things up Lonely Summer.

The current touring BBs band is outta sight. The whole band is very passionate about presenting the music with as much accuracy and energy as possible.

Mike is still the iconic frontman he's always been who delivers the majority of the lead vocals with the same enthusiasm and vigor as he did in the 60's.

Totten is the best Musical Director in the business. He runs a  tight ship. His guitar playing is incredible as well.  John Cowsill is the best live drummer the band has ever had. Cowsill combines the energy of Dennis' playing with the precision of Hal Blaine's. Cowsill is also a hell of a singer providing some great leads on songs like Darlin.

I also think Brian "Ike" Eichenberger is also the best 'falsetto' because like 60's Brian&Al he can actually hit most of those notes in a high belt from the chest, not solely falsetto like Adrian and Matt... Ike has a power in his voice that reminds me SO MUCH of young BW.

Mike's son Christian provides a solid second rhythm guitar (in addition to Ike's rhythm gtr) and sings Carl's vocal parts- most of his leads and harmony parts. Some disagree,  but I think Christian's 'Wilson Genes' are definetely on display when he sings songs like God Only Knows (and It's About Time this past summer!) as he can really, really sound like Carl. His voice is a little thinner than 80's-90's Carl, but can sound a lot like Carl's more youthful 60's/70's voice before the smoking really affected it.

Bruce also adds so much authenticity to the show. Aside from his mere presence adding authenticity, it's his singing that really elevates the group from sounding like Mike & hired guns to actually really sounding like The Beach Boys!! Hearing Bruce's co-leads on the codas of Cal Girls, God Only Knows, hearing him in the GV blend, etc  just adds so much authenticity to the sound. He and Mike were so key to the blend that their voices blending with the touring guys can really pull off a convincing BBs sound, where you can close your eyes and swear you're hearing the record.

The shows are a blast! You can always expect the hits, but at all the shows I've been to, at least a few deeper cuts are thrown in for good measure. I'll be attending every show they play in my neck of the woods for as long as they're 'still cruisin' 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 04:50:09 PM »

Sorry but I have to disagree. I haven't been to a concert but have watched several on YouTube including the most recent Beach Boys Cruise from March of 2022. That concert in my opinion was awful. Listen to Christian love I'm sorry but he sounds terrible and it's insulting to say he's covering Carl's leads and vocal Parts. Frankly he's extremely weak.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »

One thing to keep in mind is that YouTube videos aren't the best way to judge a performance. A lot of Brian Wilson performances sound awful on YouTube (the ones recorded from someone's shaky cellphone 50 yards away from the stage) but yet his concerts in person sound amazing (my own personal opinion). I've been to quite a few Brian shows in recent years, and in person they sound fantastic, but yet my videos of the same performance end up sounding very lackluster.

I looked up the March 2022 Cruise shows and honestly a lot of those songs sound great all things considered. Mike sounds as good as I've heard him in years, and the band is pretty tight. But that's just my opinion.

As someone who also isn't the biggest fan of Mike, I'd say head to the show if you can make it. Seeing two of the Beach Boys would be a trip, and I'm sure the music sounds great as well. See these guys while you can.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »

As someone who also isn't the biggest fan of Mike, I'd say head to the show if you can make it. Seeing two of the Beach Boys would be a trip, and I'm sure the music sounds great as well. See these guys while you can.

Yup! Agree with all parts of this, it well sums up my opinion. I still prefer Brian and his band, but I've seen Mike and band three times circa 2014-2017 and been well pleased each time, and can recall a few highlights from each show. I'd happily see them again this year if it's possible.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »

Even if one should think Mike is Satan and Brian is Jesus, could still love watching a Mike & Bruce gig. Appreciating music does not necessarily mean you'd want to go on a date with the performers. I am very far from the staunchest fan of Mike's around, but I liked even that "Do It Again" with Mark McGrath. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:19:24 PM by Zenobi » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »

Even if one should think Mike is Satan and Brian is Jesus, could still love watching a Mike & Bruce gig. Appreciating music does not necessarily mean you'd want to go on a date with the performers. I am very far from the staunchest fan of Mike's around, but I liked even that "Do It Again" with Mark McGrath. Smiley

I do agree with this, but want to add a side note: when Mike was going on with his "Brian did street drugs but he's now on prescription drugs and Melinda is controlling and the only regret I have in my life is that Brian did street drugs" phase not too long ago, it really did sour some of the music for me at the time. And I know some people would blow a gasket at that admission...but I'll compare it to how I feel about Chevy Chase: I love a lot of his movies and find him hilarious. But he is famous for often being a prick to his co-stars and directors. This behavior came to a boiling point during Chase's time on the show Community and many fans were rather perturbed about it. His behavior off-camera made you look at his character from the show in a much different way (he was eventually written off or fired from the show). Likewise, Mike throwing incessant negativity toward one of his own band members was rather sad to see for me, and I'd sometimes be reminded of the negativity when hearing him on a song.

I guess it just hits people in different ways. Mike has been very chill recently and seems to have come to peace with some things regarding his cousin (at least publicly). So I've seen him in a somewhat different light recently thankfully. But I can definitely relate to people being reserved about seeing him in concert - especially during the peak(s) of his litigations and character assassinations (ugh Looking Back With Love vibes) of Brian.

But with all that said, we live in an era where these guys are still performing - and it's their 60th anniversary as a band Shocked we're lucky they're still around doing what they love doing. Embrace it while we can.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 11:15:06 PM »

I do agree with this, but want to add a side note: when Mike was going on with his "Brian did street drugs but he's now on prescription drugs and Melinda is controlling and the only regret I have in my life is that Brian did street drugs" phase not too long ago, it really did sour some of the music for me at the time. And I know some people would blow a gasket at that admission...but I'll compare it to how I feel about Chevy Chase: I love a lot of his movies and find him hilarious. But he is famous for often being a prick to his co-stars and directors. This behavior came to a boiling point during Chase's time on the show Community and many fans were rather perturbed about it. His behavior off-camera made you look at his character from the show in a much different way (he was eventually written off or fired from the show). Likewise, Mike throwing incessant negativity toward one of his own band members was rather sad to see for me, and I'd sometimes be reminded of the negativity when hearing him on a song.

I guess it just hits people in different ways. Mike has been very chill recently and seems to have come to peace with some things regarding his cousin (at least publicly). So I've seen him in a somewhat different light recently thankfully. But I can definitely relate to people being reserved about seeing him in concert - especially during the peak(s) of his litigations and character assassinations (ugh Looking Back With Love vibes) of Brian.

But with all that said, we live in an era where these guys are still performing - and it's their 60th anniversary as a band Shocked we're lucky they're still around doing what they love doing. Embrace it while we can.
I resisted seeing Mike's Beach Boys for many years for similar reasons. I thought the name should have been retired after Carl died, or at least appended to something like "Mike Love's Sounds of the Beach Boys".
Eventually, my resistance wore down. I accepted the fact that these guys are going to be singing those old hits until the day they die; and I'd rather it be Mike out there doing it than someone with less of a connection to the band (there is currently a band touring in the UK as Badfinger with NO original members - the bandleader only played on one album recorded with the classic lineup, and that album wasn't even released!).
Sure, it sucks that Mike and Al can't put their differences aside and work together, but that's life. I never thought of Brian as being a touring animal, so it doesn't bother me that he's not part of the current Beach Boys band. In all the times I saw the group in the 80's and 90's, Brian was only with them twice.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 03:35:37 AM »

The last time I saw the Beach Boys was Carl Wilson's last show back in 1997. I haven't seen them live since. I have followed them on YouTube though very closely including the most recent versions from 2022 and 2021. In my opinion they do not sound good. I think Christian loves vocals are bad. He sounds nothing like Carl Wilson to me, not that anyone could. But Mike and Bruce keep saying he does sound like Carl he sounds nothing like Carl to me, his vocals are weak on backgrounds and leads. Mike seems okay. Just totally unimpressed with the current version of The Beach Boys live show and have been for many years
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 04:32:00 AM »

Thank you all so much for your input!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 02:29:34 PM »

I last saw The Beach Boys in 1996 (w/ Carl & Al)- then in 2012 (w/ Brian, Al, and David Marks). I would see the current group if Al were present … not often discussed but it’s not out of the question, like this 2011 performance:

https://youtu.be/P7xwvOT865c

… somewhat heartwarming to see if how happy/proud Mike looks when Al starts singing “Sloop John B”.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:30:30 PM by DonnyL » Logged

nogosmugboat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 10:59:36 PM »

I saw them on July 24th 2021 and had a lovely time. Fun little band with a perfectly fine setlist. Both groups really do put on amazing shows. Still need to catch an Al show sometime though.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 07:35:59 AM »

I would agree that, tempting as it is, please don't use audience recordings on YouTube to form your assessment. There's something that phone microphones do to the instrument and vocal mix that completely changes it from the way the audience actually hears it. You really do have to be there to hear it properly.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »

I'm going to partially disagree when it comes to audience recordings. It obviously depends on a number of factors. Some recordings are better than others.

But I've been to many many concerts, and I've probably listened to more live recordings of the BBs than all but some of the most scholarly, devoted live recording buffs (c-man, etc.).

I wouldn't ever use a single live video or audio recording (either vintage or recent) to rate any band (outside of having like a pristine untouched soundboard recording mixed well). But if you listen to many recordings, including the highest quality recordings, I think that can provide a pretty solid insight into the quality of a band.

There are about a ZILLION videos of Mike's band from the last several years on YouTube. Even if you weed out the crummy ones and only look at the HD videos shot close to the stage with good sound (and without choppy edits), there are many, many videos to peruse. In some cases full shows. There are even some pro-shot videos with soundboard sound (and/or audio-only soundboard recordings) from recent years that have popped up.

I think someone absolutely could get a pretty fair idea of Mike's band based off of the extant recordings.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 10:41:27 PM »

Great way of summing things up Lonely Summer.

The current touring BBs band is outta sight. The whole band is very passionate about presenting the music with as much accuracy and energy as possible.

Mike is still the iconic frontman he's always been who delivers the majority of the lead vocals with the same enthusiasm and vigor as he did in the 60's.

Totten is the best Musical Director in the business. He runs a  tight ship. His guitar playing is incredible as well.  John Cowsill is the best live drummer the band has ever had. Cowsill combines the energy of Dennis' playing with the precision of Hal Blaine's. Cowsill is also a hell of a singer providing some great leads on songs like Darlin.

I also think Brian "Ike" Eichenberger is also the best 'falsetto' because like 60's Brian&Al he can actually hit most of those notes in a high belt from the chest, not solely falsetto like Adrian and Matt... Ike has a power in his voice that reminds me SO MUCH of young BW.

Mike's son Christian provides a solid second rhythm guitar (in addition to Ike's rhythm gtr) and sings Carl's vocal parts- most of his leads and harmony parts. Some disagree,  but I think Christian's 'Wilson Genes' are definetely on display when he sings songs like God Only Knows (and It's About Time this past summer!) as he can really, really sound like Carl. His voice is a little thinner than 80's-90's Carl, but can sound a lot like Carl's more youthful 60's/70's voice before the smoking really affected it.

Bruce also adds so much authenticity to the show. Aside from his mere presence adding authenticity, it's his singing that really elevates the group from sounding like Mike & hired guns to actually really sounding like The Beach Boys!! Hearing Bruce's co-leads on the codas of Cal Girls, God Only Knows, hearing him in the GV blend, etc  just adds so much authenticity to the sound. He and Mike were so key to the blend that their voices blending with the touring guys can really pull off a convincing BBs sound, where you can close your eyes and swear you're hearing the record.

The shows are a blast! You can always expect the hits, but at all the shows I've been to, at least a few deeper cuts are thrown in for good measure. I'll be attending every show they play in my neck of the woods for as long as they're 'still cruisin' 

The band is excellent.. Awesome! BR vocals!  But Christian sounds nothing like Carl. Christian‘s voice is thin and doesn’t have Carl’s  power, beauty and range.

Here they are recently doing GV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NMaKdD9RqI

Christian does fine in the harmony stack but he’s no Carl..  impossible shoes to fill.. Band is great!
But Mike doesn’t sound like Mike.. Either someone is doubling him or he’s using PC.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 01:45:18 AM »

I think they are really good. Christian sings very well in my opinion, but, as you said, it's impossible to fill Carl's shoes. He was like one in a million.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 04:01:46 AM »

Unfortunately I think Christian is awful as a lead vocalist. He has no range in his voice no power he's extremely Bland and Sounds nothing at all like Carl. I just don't think he's a good lead singer at all. On the contrary Brian Eichelberger is very very good
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »

Who is Brian Eichelberger?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »

Who is Brian Eichelberger?
Ike
WonderBill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 11:33:17 PM »

If by recently you mean 2016–17, then yes I've seen both bands live. Mike's band on October 5, 2016 and Brian's band on May 12, 2017, both in Houston. I pretty much enjoyed both shows equally; and they were quite different from each other in presentation and atmosphere, even though many songs were the same.

The first show I attended by myself. I sat about five or six rows from the stage. Unfortunately, it wasn't until two years later that I started recording every show I go to on audio. I sure would've liked to have both of these shows as a keepsake, and especially because they were in smaller venues and the sound would have been great.

The things I remember about Mike and Bruce's show were how fast-paced it was, but still intimate; Mike's vocals being great and he was in a good mood; how tight the band was; and the crowd was very enthusiastic. Some highlights for me that I can recall were Kiss Me Baby, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, and I'm Waiting For The Day. Since I grew up watching Full House (and I will admit, my first real exposure to the band), I was hoping John Stamos would be at that one but unfortunately he wasn't, although Mike did namedrop him.

I really enjoyed mingling with the people around me during the intermission. Some of them seemed like big fans. I looked around to see if there were any people closer to my age there (I was 23 at the time), but I only saw one couple that were younger. I also seem to recall another younger girl that was in the same row as me but on the other side. She was there with her mother I think… and she sticks out of my mind because she was standing up and singing Kokomo really enthusiastically during said song.

After the show, an older woman that had been sitting a few seats down from me told me she saw me singing along a lot and asked me how I knew all of those songs. I told her I was a DJ (which is the truth), to which she enthusiastically replied, "well good for you!"

For Brian's concert, I went with a friend of mine who is a musician (who was also working backstage during Mike and Bruce's show). The Boys are far from his favorite band, but he does appreciate their music quite a bit. He actually sent me a picture of the setlist just before Mike and Bruce's show started, but I didn't look at it because I wanted it all to be a surprise.

I wasn't as close to the stage at Brian's show, but we were still on the floor. There were several people sitting around us who were also big fans and I enjoyed conversating with them before the show. One woman in particular I remember mentioned to me that Sunflower was her favorite album, so I knew she was serious.

I knew that Brian's mood and performance could be a hit or miss at concerts, but to me, he really seemed into it that night. I loved every minute of that show and it was a great performance by Brian, Al and Blondie. I'd be lying if I said that Brian is the greatest front man in the world, but I agree with an above statement that his show has a more genuine and authentic feel to it. Some highlights I recall were Wild Honey, with Blondie's extended guitar solo, Add Some Music To Your Day, and God Only Knows for which Brian received a standing ovation. I'll never forget that moment!

Well, that was over five years ago now; and I hope the bands are still delivering good quality shows for the most part.

Recently, Mike's band played two shows in Galveston that I considered going to, but couldn't get a ticket. As it turned out, I wasn't that disappointed, because upon viewing the setlist, it was just the standard fare with nothing real special added. However, Brian will be in town next month with Chicago and I'm definitely going to try and make that one! I have a couple of friends whom I turned onto the band, and they want to go with me. The Chicago/BB concert bill is a classic, and I'm really looking forward to it!

To echo another point made above, I agree that cell phone video is not the best way to judge a performance. For example, I recently saw George Strait in concert for only the second time ever and the first time in nine years. I have seen a few videos in recent years posted on social media by people I know who have attended his shows. Based on some of those videos, my opinion was somewhat that he seems to be getting old and his performing days may be coming to a complete end. However, that was not my opinion at all upon leaving the concert! He seemed just as young and vigorous as he ever has, and I'd bet that he has at least ten more years left in him! Even when I go back and listen to my (well-recorded) audio of the show, my latter opinion stands.

Over and over,
The crow cries uncover the cornfield...
Over and over,
The thresher and hover the wheat field...
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2022, 01:14:53 PM »

I last saw the Beach Boys in September 2021, and it was an excellent show. It wasn't just the sun, fun and surf hits; several Feel Flows songs were featured, along with a few songs from Mike's recent solo albums. Scott Totten is a great guitar player, John Cowsill is an excellent drummer; the entire group does a great job playing the catalog. It's a great night out for anyone that loves the music; the only ones who are going to walk away unhappy are the ones who think Mike is Satan and Brian is Jesus Christ.

I chuckled. Not sure that's not the majority around these parts.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2022, 05:12:36 PM »

Mike Satan and Brian Jesus Christ? The usual dramatic exaggeration.
Look, I am a Beach Boys fan since 1963, and hail from a "peripheral" country where I guess I am one of the 2/3 BB fans (not that I know anything about the supposed other 1/2). I could not care less about the ongoing, endless feud between "Brianistas" and "Mike Lovers". Or better, I only care about it because it makes, so often, following BB forums such a difficult and, in the end, unsatisfying experience.
But... I can't ever be neutral between Brian and Mike. I have nothing against Mike, I am a fan of his too (and particularly of his fantastic baritone/bass register)! But early in the '60s I learned that the genius who was writing almost all that sublime music was one Brian Wilson. And that without him, all this great, unique cathedral of music called the Beach Boys would never have happened. And that he accomplished this despite ENORMOUS personal problems.
This is the only reason I am a member of this forum, instead of the "other one". Because, in my humble foreigner's opinion, here people always remember that. In that other place? Sometimes. And I am sure that there I would be totally unwelcome, as a stoopid "Brianista".
But said this, I don't think that Mike is Satan, nor that Brian is Jesus Christ.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »

Haven't seen Mike Love's band (other than the 50th anniversary tour) perform since 2004 when I worked backstage at Chastain Amphitheatre in ATL (and that certainly was an interesting and surreal day).  My understanding is that the band has changed dramatically since and for the better.  And it would seem over the years since Carl's passing that Love has been more open to performing deeper cuts including post-60's material that I longed to hear back when I'd regularly see them perform in the 90's.  Although I pass on Mike's band simply because it really isn't the Beach Boys at this point other than in legal terms, my understanding is that it really isn't that bad of a show and the group Mike performs with does a pretty darn good job with the material.  John Cowsill in particular gets a lot of high praise, although I'm not even sure if he's still in the band.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx